Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• I've been looking at the Grand AM for sometime. Does anyone think that the GT is worth it or is the SE good enough?
  • hengheng Posts: 411
    what was it doing or not doing on the curves?
  • I don't understand either what the car was not doing on curves. The car must have been beat to death to not be able to handle curves and be in need of shock replacement. You can't judge the car based on an abused rental car. As I posted previously, I LOVE to drive my GA on the curves. Granted, I have the GT model (with 16,000 miles) and I take really good care of it. But I test drove an SE model and it performed very admirable on curves.

For leadfootnot: Your question could be debated for ever. It depends what you want in the car. I decided to get the GT because I wanted a V6, sunroof, custom cloth seats, 4 wheel disc brakes, a power seat and other stuff. It made the most sense for me to buy the GT. Besides, I liked the styling and wheels better. But that's only for me. Can you get by with a 4 cylinder? Do you need all these options? Do you need a RamAir engine with extra HP and torque? Make a list of all the options you want and price out the GT versus an SE with the added options. That's a good place to start your comparison decision making process. Good luck.
  • nirvana1nirvana1 Posts: 1
    i have a choice for a company car, the grand am se2 and the gp se. other than the obvious size difference, which is a better car?
  • patolocopatoloco Posts: 6
    In earlier posts, several people mentioned replacement of rotors, but I am confused if it covered under warranty or not. I have a 99 GA with about 19,000 miles on it. I bought it with 14,000 miles - understanding that the brakes would be a likely problem area. The rotors are already smoked. A nice blue color on both the inside and outside!! What do I have to tell the dealer in order to get the upgrade? Will I have to cover the difference in Price? Are they going to try and blame this on my driving style? Any input would be appreciated. Thanks - Dave
  • patolocopatoloco Posts: 6
    I have the SE with the V-6 and have been quite happy with it. The car accelerates great, and the gas mileage is usually between 25 - 30 mpg (depending on how heavy my foot is). I remember reading that the difference in horsepower was minimal - so options and styling would probably determine your decision. Although I have NOT driven the GT, so I can't speak for both sides.
    I have a 98 GP SE and 99 Alero GL3 (which is very similar to a GA). Like you said, the bigger size of the GP is an obvious difference. The GP also rides steadier on the highway. The 3.8 GP feels like it accelerates quicker. My GP has the overhead console which is much better than the small overhead storage pocket the alero has. I'm not sure what the GA has. The GP is also quieter. I only hear the engine exhaust coming from the rear of the car while the Alero I can hear engine sounds coming from the front. The GP's trunk is much larger and has the articulated hinges. The GP rear seat has a center arm rest, the Alero doesn't.

I have both cars. I like the GP better.
  • amloveramlover Posts: 2
    I am wondering if there is anyone out there who can Help me with my situation. I currently own a 1998 Mazda Protege ES and I am in the process of trading it for either the Olds Alero or the Grand Am. Since reading entries in this forum for both the Alero and the Grand Am I am lead to believe that the Grand Am is the better choice. I would really like anyone's opinion on this matter as it is hard to choose from the two. (I have already chosen engine type, V6 3.1 or 3.4 engine) Thanks for any responses!!!
  • obiwanobiwan Posts: 57
    Really, it comes down to styling issues. The performance of the two cars is so similar, even the Ram Air of the GA GT doesn't make a noticable difference. I'd say that you should go and look at both, up close and in person. Then look at the option lists and costs. They should be similar but the configurations could be different enough on the details to matter to you.

After you look both over, you should have an idea which you like better. If not, go with the one you can get a better deal on.
    I have an Alero. My friend drove over with his GA and pulled up behind the Alero. The GA is much snazzier in appearance side by side with the Alero. But separately, the GA looks over done and the Alero looks more elegant. Personal preference, take your pick. I won't be offended.
  • azurerainazurerain Posts: 3
    I was just wondering what most of you paid average for your 00' Grand Am GT1?, I am considering (well pretty much going for it) buying it. But I noticed on the media.pontiac.com site it said the 2001 GA/GT will be released August 1, 2000. So I am assuming the price will drop, did anyone notice this on new 99's when the 00's came out?. I won't be buying till after August 1st, so I am hoping to get a good deal.
  • obiwanobiwan Posts: 57
    I happened to get lucky when I bought my mostly loaded '99 GT1. It turned out the dealer had the wrong invoice when he was negotiating. They had the right vin number but the price of a loaded SE2. And I got it for $200 over invoice of that SE2. They didn't catch it until all the paperwork was signed and they couldn't back out of the deal. Quite embarrassing for them...

As far as what to expect for a deal, you need to balance the timing of your deal. The later you get your car, the better deal you can get on the 2000 models. However, the longer you wait, the fewer cars you'll have to choose from.
  • rich310rich310 Posts: 34
    FYI--2001 prices for somes cars including ALero and Grand AM are in Kelly's Blue Book (KBB.com). It appears that base prices are up, but more options are included so there is less need for an additional cost package.

Has anyone driven an Alero and Grand Am? Any preferences? What aer your reactions to each.
  • vorozabvorozab Posts: 1
    I owned a 1997 Grand Am GT, and have driven a '00 Alero base model. Obviously I preferred my GA, but it wasn't really a fair comparison. Among GM's, I've always been partial to Pontiacs anyway, previously owning a 1988 Bonneville SSE.
  • alhoutexalhoutex Posts: 14
    I purchased my 2000 GA GT in february of this year. I have 9800 hard driven Houston Texas miles on the car, and no complaints. I have noticed a pulsing in the brakes when braking at high speeds or very low speeds, like approaching a stoplight. Is this the rotors? Ive seen several postings about the rotors, and fear this is infecting my car. As far as choosing between a GT or an SE, there is no comparison. The 4 cyl is very strained when put under pressure. Also the steering wheel feels flimsy compared to the GT leather wrapped steering wheel. You can tell the quality difference between the two models. If you do like the SE, definitely get the V6.
  • The pulsing sounds like the rotors, unless it occurs when you hit the brakes hard for quick stops. Then it might be the ABS kicking in. I'm starting to get some rumbling/pulsing when I hit my brakes. Maybe I'll have the dealer check it out next time it's in. I have 16,000 miles on my GT.

I have begun to notice little noises where interior parts seem to be rubbing together. But it doesn't seem to happen all the time. Nothing real major - just hope it isn't an indication of things to come. Anybody else notice this?
  • amloveramlover Posts: 2
    I am having a real problem deciding between the GA and alero. Definetly need a v6 engine, could anyone out there please convince me one way or the other??
  • pwilliamkpwilliamk Posts: 21
    I have an SE2 which I bought in January and I only have 5000miles on it. I have what seems to be pulsating in the brakes just like alhoutex. I can't see how that is possible after this many miles but I know that it is not the ABS because I am never on the brakes hard enough for this to occur. I also have the 4cyl and sometimes when I start it the engine runs irraticaly The rpms fluctuate up and down like 500-750rpm). I have asked the dealer what it might be but he said unless the check engine light or another fault comes (or if it repeats this occurence at the dealership with the computer hooked up: we all know that this will never happen) then there is nothing that he can do about it. Any ideas what might cause this a fuel throttle sensor or something in that line. Other than that I love the car and how it handles with the 16' rims and tires.
  • alhoutexalhoutex Posts: 14
    well, I know its not the ABS, cause I dont think ive ever had to hit them real hard. Ive got to take it in for the windows scratching my tint, so Ill have them look at it. If it is the rotors, they should still be under the warranty. does anyone know if there is a TSB on this problem? Other than the brakes, no problems, and no noises yet, although I dont have that many miles yet. The car get stares from everywhere, and It still makes me stare, so I can definitely live with a few minor problems.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    I dont think ive ever had to hit them [brakes] real hard.

GM requires "to hit brakes" hard at least every 1000 miles. Otherwise they can't self-adjust. Look at the car's manual.

Majority of people who have the warped rotor problem (GrandAm-Alero and Malibu-Cutlass) claim they never brake hard. Is it one of the reasons?