Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• szerfasszerfas Posts: 53
    aam1:
    You should be able to get your car for just a little over invoice without too much trouble and without including any of the rebates available on the car. My SE1 is just over 1 month old. When I got mine there was a factory dealer rebate of $500 and a low finance rate. I was also able to get recent grad and I had GM Card credits. Between all that it was a pretty good deal. One thing that I found annoying was that for the well equipped GrandAm that I got it does not have map lights. Silly on a car with so many other features standard. I would also not pay a lot for the high performance sound system as they call it. The bass is really great but I am not sure it is the clearest sounding stereo that I have heard.

Enjoy your new wheels. It really is a fun to drive car. The molding on the doors do a really good job of fending off door dings.

Stephen
  • aam1aam1 Posts: 26
    Stephen:

Thanks for your advice. Just a couple of points since you have exactly the same car as I will be getting and I am also a recent grad:

1. Does the "little over invoice' purchase price include the rebates or do they further reduce the final price?

2. Does the 'standard SE1 sound system" include the CD or is that part of the high performance sound system?

3. Did you get a V-6 or the standard engine?

4. Did you get the solid style value package. Is it a good deal or not?

Thanks for your help
    Hi Guys:

Maybe some one can help me with this. I live in NYC and will have to pay 8.25% sales tax if I buy my Grand Am in-state. I was wondering if I can go to NJ, CT, or PA and buy the car there and pay a lower amount of sales tax. A friend of mine told me that I will have to pay the NYS tax if I register the car in NYS no matter where I buy it. Anyone here looked into this and have any information.
    Hi Stephen:

Missed one more thing I wanted to ask you, are the invoice and MSRP quoted on the Edmunds site very accurate for the SE1?

Thanks
  • yusufyusuf Posts: 4
    I am about to buy a '99 Grand AM SE, very basic model, for 3000 down and 430 pm payments....can anyone tell me if i am getting a good deal, also how is this car in reliability, performance and safety. I know it does not have good resle value though, right? How many mile can i put on it before it starts giving major problems
    Hello,

One more question....I tried asking the dealer @ the recent grad. bonus and he tried to avoid the issue. How can I get this discount and my GM card rebate? Also, the car they showed me, though new, had for some reason a slight chipping of the paint on the driver side door on the corrugations that the Grand AMs have. Could that be potentially dangerous and could I ask the dealer to fix it or give some more discount?
    (I had posted earlier a msg about the same car in msg#37)
    Yusuf
    Hello,

One more question....I tried asking the dealer @ the recent grad. bonus and he tried to avoid the issue. How can I get this discount and my GM card rebate? Also, the car they showed me, though new, had for some reason a slight chipping of the paint on the driver side door on the corrugations that the Grand AMs have. Could that be potentially dangerous and could I ask the dealer to fix it or give some more discount?
    (I had posted earlier a msg about the same car in msg#37)
    Yusuf
    Hi aam1:

1)The rebates further reduced the price. So I got it for $179 over invoice and then from that price we deducted the factory dealer incentive, my recent grad and my gm card discount. I was also able to get the 4.9% financing in addition. Worked pretty well.

2)The SE1 standard sound system from what I read in a tape player. There are two upgrades to it. You can upgrade to the CD stereo edition of it or you can upgrade to the high performance 6 speaker sound system(which I have). I figure what the dollar difference is but the regular system should be fine. I got this stereo because it was what was available on the car on the lot. My only requirement was that the stereo had CD.

3)I got the 3400 V6. It runs smoothly and is very powerful. Some friends criticized me for not getting a power moonroof. I was more interested in engine power then a moonroof. The four is also a little buzzy for my tastes but the power is still pretty good.

4)My car did come with the solid style which included the spoiler, the alloy wheels and CD player. I really wanted the aluminum wheels, and CD player so it was a good deal for me. If you are really interested in saving money you could live without these options. I think this package is also responsible for upgrading to the BFGoodrich touring tires. I have been happy with their performance also.

5)I assumed the Edmunds MSRP and invoice were correct and I put together a spread sheet before going to the dealer and found a car that matched pretty well the options that I priced out. When we went to deal I did not tell them any of this stuff or show them anything. They came back with the invoice price which matching up with my spread sheet was very close if not the same. The reason I am not eactly sure is my car included the variable assist steering too and they do not have that listed. To answer your question it should be good to use.

Good luck and enjoy,
    Stephen
    yusuf:

I would have them discount your car if it has some chipping or pick another one. We have a few dealers in our area around here so if my local one did not make me happy I was ready to go somewhere else. The chip I would not cause any safety issues and should not effect preformence, they probably just hit in their own lot.

If you are recent grad they should be able to take that $400 off right along with the credits from the GM Card. I used them both on mine.

I can say from the performance of mine with V6 is very good. The car stops, corners and accelerates with ease. I hope the reliablity will be good I have seen and heard of planety on old GrandAm going for long distances. My Buick was very reliable so I am hoping the Pontiac is made with similar quality. The resale value will probably not be great but I plan on keeping mine a while. The safety on the edmunds was suppose to be good. I thought I saw on the government site as 4 start from front 3 from side but I will have to check again.

Stephen
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    you do have to pay taxes based on where you park your car.

I once got a car in CT, registered it in FL, but my primary residence was in Yonkers, NY. I had to pay the Yonkers 8.25% tax.
    Hello All,

I have seen a '99 Pontiac Grand AM SE1 which the dealer is offering me at a final price of 17800,inclusive of cost of certain accesories and other unreasonable charges like advertising($180) and handling of documents($349). Now though this car is sitting on the dealers new car lot, it has 4100 mi on it. Dealer's explanation ranging from:"this is a demo car" to "we gave it to one of our employees to ride back and forth from home and work". Does any one have any comment on this. I'd really appreciate any help that anyone can give.

-Yusuf
    Hi Guys:

Wanted your feedback on an offer I have from a dealer for a Grand Am SE1.

Grand Am SE1 with 3.4L V-6, rear deck spoiler, remote keyless entry, low tire pressure, CD player and 15" tires. The car does not have a solid style package and is not a demo car. The price quoted by the dealer is $18,542 (invoice with options 17,956). In your opinions, what price will be a good price for this car? Any and all advice will be appreciated.

One more thing, is the destination charge a part of the invoice price or is it added over the invoice price?

Thanks for all your help.
  • mstan1mstan1 Posts: 9
    In February, I paid $18,500 for GrandAm SE2 out the door price with everything(spoiler included).I was on the cell phone int he dealership checking another dealer's price during the haggling. I told them another dealer offered $18,800 and if they couldn't beat that with a reasonable differnce, I was walking out the door. I also told him if it was a good deal, I'd buy it right there on the spot. It's amazing how these salesmen just remember a Pontiac incentive or local dealhip offer if you're willing to buy and if not you'll walk. Check with a couple of dealers. I think you should be able to upgrade to the SE2 for that price.
  • islander2islander2 Posts: 1
    Is 87 octane gas ok for Grand Am SE1 or should it be higher?
    islander2:
    I have been feeding mine 87 Octane and it has been working fine on it. I did not check the book but I think that is the Octane it recommends for both of the GrandAm's engines.

mstan1:
    That must be with all the rebates included. I am not sure which apply to you (GM Card, Recent Grad), but that is a good price. I got an SE1 with every option except a moonroof for $18700, that price does NOT including any of the rebates. My price was a little less then $200 over invoice. I did not think that I could get too much lower then that so I took it. After taking off the 3 different rebates (factory, Gm Card, and Recent Grad) the price seemed pretty good to me. Hope you are enjoying you GrandAm.

Stephen
    Argh! Two months after I got mine they now have $1000 cash back and 0%. My only savings on the cash back is they say it cannot be combined with any other GM or GMAC deal so I would not have gotten recent grad. They do not say for how many months it is 0%, I wonder if that is just for 24 months or not.

Stephen
  • vallianvallian Posts: 1
    The 0% is for 36 months. 4.9% for 48 months, I forget what it is for 60 months. I only got $750 cash back though. I think the cash back is dependant on your region. I just signed up for mine last night, I will pick it up tonight! I'm really excited.
    Thanks for the update on the finance rates. I would not have been able to afford to do mine for 36 months even at 0% so I do not feel quite as bad. The funny thing is I check Pontiac's web site and it said $750 also but when I saw it on TV last night it said $1000. Maybe I misunderstood it and that was rebate for Sunfire. Thanks for info.

I hope you enjoy your GrandAm. I really like mine. I am still mad at the dealer for over filling it with oil on the first oil change. Over a half quart over filled. I drained out a good part of the excess. I think I will do the rest of its oil changes myself. I keep cars for a long time.

Enjoy,
    Stephen
  • I was at a dealer on Sunday and they happened to leave one Grand Am open by mistake. I got in to check out the car from all the seat positions. I noticed that the doorhandle assemblies on both back doors were very loose. Has anybody else experienced this situation? Also, since I am considering buying a SE2 or GT very shortly, I was curious how the Grand Ams have been holding up in their first year. It appears like a solid car, but now that I got in one I'm not sure. How do the interior trim, controls, windows, locks, etc. hold up over time? How about squeaks and rattles? Any experience from an owner would be greatly appreciated.
    Mine is only 2 months old but I can tell you what I have seen so far. I do not have any squeaks or rattles, I have taken it over some pretty poor roads too. All the door handles and switches operate well. Sometimes I think the climate mode control can be a little vague in feel. The one other thing that I noticed was that molding around the gear shifter moves with the moving of the gear shifter, that concerns me a little. Other then that the car is very tight. I have a terrible dealer that does not know how to change oil on a car but other then that is very good. My mileage is a little over 1500.

Stephen
  • Hello all, I currently drive a 1998 Saturn SL which has been a wonderfull car and I am considering buying another one , but I noticed that the 1999 Grand AM's start around 16,595 which seems very good for a car with auto, ac, pwr locks, etc. It may be a while before I buy but I was wondering does anyone know if there will be much of a price increase over the next year or so? Also, any comments from people that bought a SE model would be appreciated.
    I would doubt there is going to be much of a price increase since there was price increase when they did the redesign. Cannot say for sure and I have not heard anything on it.

I have an SE1. I chose that one based on the fact that it was the cheapest model that I could get with the 6 cyl. I have various comments on it in some of the posts above. If you get the 4 cyl. be warned that it is buzzy engine during moderate to hard acceleration.
  • Wanted to know overall thoughts about the '99 SE2 Grand Am. Is this a dependable car? Will there be a lot of maintenance on this vehicle?
  • The one thing that disapoints me about the 99 Grand Am is that with the four cylinder it only gets 22 mpg in the city. Maybe Im spoiled cause my Saturn gets near 30 mpg in the city, but I know the Grand Am is around 7-800 pounds more then my car and it has more horsepower, 50 more to be exact. I would need it to last through maybe 4 years of rough college driving, my friends have Grand Ams, one is a 1992 with around 100k and the other is a 1994 with around 100k, they have had some problems but most around a hundred thousand miles, how are they up until 100k ? I really don't want to spend more then 16k on one, is it easy to find the base models around with no add on's ? Also, as alspivey mentioned, how are the projected maintenance costs for this car- I mean only scheduled maintenance? does anyone know how much an extended warranty would run?
  • I myself own a 1997 Pontiac Grand Am GT 2 door. I have loved this car and have had few problems with it. In 2 years I have almost 35k miles on it and at a recent oil change I asked about an extended warranty. for an extra 48mts and 48,000 miles it was 1200. These should last well beyond 100k because they dont have the old quad 4 motor. I dont know about you but I would rather have a loaded up grand am 1 or 2 years old than a new base one. also the 96-98 interrior styling I like better. Plus if you go with a used one the depretion will not be as great.Also consider a 1997+ grand prix. In fact to consider Grand Prix prices there is a 1997 with 40k for 14,000 GT model 4 door. MAINTAINCE COSTS FOR MY GRAND AM basically oil changes, front brakes at 34,000(my uncle is a GM mechanic and its common for the grand am. and in about 5k will need a set of 4 tires. Any ?'s you can e-mail me GRANDAMFAN@AOL.COM

thanks

jack
  • sbs2sbs2 Posts: 2
    The Grand Am is horrible for short people. I am constantly craning my neck in order to see when I'm backing up and I'm 5'5". I would not rely on the mirrors to see.
  • sbs2sbs2 Posts: 2
    My 99 Grand Am Se has lots of rattles and squeeks.
    The interior lining of the door is coming off and has to be replaced. I've been having lots of trouble with the steering column and the connections to the stabilizers. Has anyone had similar problems?
  • karnkarn Posts: 8
    sbs2

i also have been having a problem with the door interior lining coming away from a rear door, right where it connects to the window. and oddly, enough my steering wheel has been feeling kinda loose. it seems when i drive at speeds slower than 50-ish my steering wheel is sloping to one side or the other. when going over 50 my steering wheel looks perfectly straight and a couple of times it felt really loose on stops. almost like the steering wheel itself was loose compared to the actual handling of the car. with the difference in speeds i was wondering about the variable control steering being the cause.

karn.
  • I noticed a Grand Am GT at a dealer with the interior door lining ripped away from the door. I immediately left the dealer and sought out a vehicle at another dealer. Picked up my GT yesterday. Bright Red!! I really like this car, the looks and the ride. It's not perfect but I can see owning this car for a long time if it holds up. I'll keep posting as I go
    karn:

That could be the effects of the variable effort steering. I have the variable effort in mine and it is pretty tight on the highway and deffinetly looser around town. The steering wheel seems to be pretty well aligned with where the tires are pointing. It is fairly sensitive to if there is any arc to the roadway.

Still no sqeaks and/or rattles. I hope it stays that way. It has taken my Buick over 135,000 miles to develop what might be called a tick not even really a rattle.

Stephen