Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• jdexter23jdexter23 Posts: 94
    You don't know how good you have it till its gone. My 00 GA SE just went into the dealer for some service and my loaner is a 95 Buick LeSabre. What a tank! I miss my GA already and it hasn't even been 24 hours yet.

I agree with Tonychrys. My SE handles just fine and is plenty sensitive. I have the 16" rims, so maybe the lower profile tires help stick to the road moreso than tires on 15" rims would.
  • nerssnerss Posts: 43
    Does anybody have any new information about the 2003 Grand Am in relation to the interior specs and available options???? My fiancee and I are interested in the possibility of buying a new one in 2003 and the AWR sounds really appealing for our snowy climate.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Posts: 218
    Hi Everyone,

Over the last two days while driving home from work I have detected a faint smell of burning plastic in the cabin of my GA. When I get out of the car @ home, the odor is particurally strong around outside of the drivers door. I've looked underneath the car and don't seen any plastic stuck to anything, the converter is free of debris and I popped the hood and can't find anything out of place or smoking in the engine well. The check engine gauge hasn't come on and the oil pressure looks good.

Any idea what this could be?????
    Are you sure its not the brake pads? Other than that, I would just look for plastic shielding touching any hot or moving parts of the car.

On a side note, has anyone had their sunroof rattle? if so, please tell me what part of it was loose so I can fix it quicker. I brought my GA to the dealership to have it fixed and they said that they couldn't. (Actually, i just think they didn't want to get into a big job of taking the headliner down). Any input will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JD
    I just had the front pads replaced @ 30k. I'm @ 33k now....do you think I should take it in to be looked at?

I don't have a moonroof on my GA, but I do have one on my '99 Prelude. I had a couple of annoying rattles on it and I took some WD40 and put it on the runners and the rattles went away....might want to try it....would'nt hurt to try?
  • jafan43jafan43 Posts: 3
    Hello,
    Last year I ended up trading in my 99 Grand Am GT due to a ridiculous problem: both doors (it was a coupe) leaked water into the back seat of the car when it rained or snowed. I brought the car back to the dealer three times. Each time they claimed to have fixed the problem with parts from the factory. I was told that it was a problem that GM was aware of, thus the parts ready from the factory. At least GM could have notified the owners of this problem, if they were already aware of it. By the time I traded it in, and several carpet cleanings later, the interior smelled of musty mildew and the under carriage was already rusting from the inside out directly underneath the back floor. Watch out for leaking doors Grand Am owners. I am much happier with my 2000 Grand Prix GT. I should have bought the GP to begin with. 6k miles and not a problem (knock on wood!).
    Did you notice the smell right after you changed the pads? My GA has that oil smell (others on this page say their do the same)that comes through the vents when the car is stopped, are you sure its plastic you smell and not that?

Thanks for the advice on the rattle.
    JD
    No, its not an oily smell @ all...it smells just like plastic burning...

The smell only started a couple of days ago. I had the pads replaced if I remember correctly, sometime in January.

I don't even know if its related, I drove the car to work, must have been Wednesday a.m....didn't notice a smell, but when I got in the car to come home, before I even started the car, I thought "geez...what is that smell?" in the cabin. I thought maybe my cat had somehow gotten in the car overnight in the garage and sprayed! But, the windows had been left up that night. This odor was distinctly different from the plastic smell and whatever it was went away. When I got home from work that evening is when I noticed the plastic burning smell.

We did have torential rains Wednesday with some street flooding, but I didn't drive through any deep water, but the roads were wet and I did hit some shallow standing water in a couple of places...wonder if that could be it?

I took the GA this afternoon to the dealer for a quick oil/filter change and lube. I told them about it, but they said they couldn't find anything wrong. Oh well?

Let me know if the WD40 helps...its a wonder product....
  • lrymallrymal Posts: 105
    Well, all right you SE owners. Tired of the GT guys getting all the limelight? Well, us SE guys can strut our stuff too. The photo was taken on the Texas coast by me on Galveston Island's West End. I think I need a RED car. Notice the RED, not black, mirrors.

By the way, Little Red has 53,000 miles on it now and still cruising along just fine.

Where in the world is Accra, Texas? Hey, I was raised in Galveston! Most of my family is still there! There is no place like HOME! I took the flag of Chile, because it looks like the Lone Star!

Nice photo! I love my SE too!
    Well, the Chile flag is a great idea. Definitely is close to the Texas flag and I just adopted it.

The profile manager here and me don't get along too well. It makes corrections much later than when you change them. I formerly lived in Accra, Ghana in West Africa, but the Manager never would let the correction stick.

I tried again and maybe it will finally fix.

The profile manager is cool, but what you enter is not what it dishes out.
  • I just helped my twin sons purchase a GA each, and after I drove theirs awhile,just purchased 1 for myself. Questions for all you out there. I have replaced water pump on the '97, Steering pump on the '96 and brakes on both of them. Are there any other problems looming in the background for these 17 years old? Dad's is a GT1 75th '01 loaded and yes, the kids are impressed, to say the least. 97k on the '97, 63k on the '96. What should I expect GA owners?
    There's nothing really unusual about the Grandam that notes special caution.

The question holiday asked really would appeal to anyone with "legacy" cars, not just the Grandam. I tend to put over 200k on vehicles and still have an '85 Old Calais that tools around just fine.

I don't think anything beyond the usual should fail, assuming the vehicles had decent maintenance, Take my '99 Grandam for example. It has 53000 miles on it and is getting of the mileage that I should expect failure anytime from any (or hopefully NONE) of the listed items below. Perhaps none of these will go out and the car will get 200k on it without incident. grin

* Starter
    * Water pump
    * Alternator/battery
    * -- maybe the power steering pump

Typical "hard" maintenance items that need to be checked and maybe replaced would be the hoses and belts, including the serpentine belt. Brakes are a no-brainer and need to be replaced about every 40k.

Struts should hang in there until about 80k.
    Anyway, that has been my experience through the years.

--Larry
  • Irymal, how did you get mirrors to match the color of your car if you have an SE? I too have an SE and would like to get silver mirrors to match my Silvermist exterior.

I know that the SE comes stock with black mirrors and the GT comes with body color mirrors.

Did you order them from Pontiac, if so, how much were they? If not, did you paint them yourself and how hard was it?
    Hey guys....the GA is getting a thrashing over in the "News and Views" Category under "the Return of GM's might". Could use some help in its defense!
    Local body shop charged $50.00 per mirror for a repaint. Was definitely a no-brainer for me...

--Larry
  • mantamanta Posts: 4
    I doubt that this is your problem, but I get a yucky plastic-y oily smell whenever I use the GM window washer fluid. I don't get the same smell from other types, just the Opticlean...but this doesn't last for more than a few minutes. Just an idea though...
    Thanks for the info...not sure what that smell was...but its gone away as fast as it appeared...
    I just wanted to move this forum up to the top:)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Well, maybe that works and maybe it doesn't. It all depends on how folks have their preferences set as to how they view the list.

A better idea would be to just make a post relevant to the discussion. ;-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    How do I set my preferences so that this topic comes up when I login. It is pretty much the only topic that I am interested in. To all: How soon should I have to replace my serpentine belt? I have noticed a light squeal from the engine recently. I only have 42,000 miles on a 99 SE1 with the 4 cylinder.
    Probably the easiest way would be to "subscribe" to this discussion. Then you can enter Town Hall by way of the Welcome Page and click on either the Message Center or Read Subscriptions link on the left sidebar. This will bring you here if there are new messages for you to read.

To do this, you click on "Subscribe" at the bottom of the page (above the post box). Then on the next page, check the box that says "track new messages" and click OK.

Then when there are new messages here, you can get here easily as I described above.

However, you can't get here from there :-) if there are no new messages. There really is no way (that I can find) to keep a specific discussion at the top of your own view of the discussion list. You could change your preferences to display discussions alphabetically, which might make it easier for you to find it when there are no new messages. See the link to "preferences" at the top of this page (beside the Welcome nerss message) if you want to do that.

Hope this helps a bit. You might want to read through the Town Hall Help which is linked on the left sidebar for more information.

Pat
    Host
    What I do to make my multiple viewing easier is to bookmark this page and choose auto loin. I have to click the loin button only if I want to post something. Maybe this helps...

ID
    But does that way keep track of the last message you read and start you off there? It has been my impression that bookmarking discussions directly here on WebX doesn't work very well for that reason, and also - as you note - you arrive at the discussion as a "guest" member and cannot post.

However, if it works for you, great! :-)

Pat
    Host
  • First time writing about my Baby Grand AM,Which I`Iv`e Owned now since Nov.2000My GAGT1is in Galaxy Silver Metallic,with Dark Pewter Interior Leather. Love my Car,Better than my 1999 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi Model Sharing my UpGrades:Donnelly Auto Brand Auto /Map Lamps/Compass Rear View Mirror,GM Accessories WindowAirDeflectors,GMMud Flaps,Real WoodTrimby Exotic Wood Dasha Band I Manufacturer75thAnniversary Exterior Insignia Badges for Both doors,front,and Interior Insignia badgesFootwell frontCourtesy LampsThose of you That want to upgrade your GA`s May Enjoy This approach ,as I HaveAlso adds Great resale tothe Car.Take Care,Sincerely BabyGrand AM
    When I bookmark it, it always brings me to the last 20 posts. Since I check this page several times a week, it always brings me close to the last post I have read.

JD
  • Baby Grand Am: I'd be interested in seeing what an exotic wood dash looks like on a Grand Am. Do you have any pictures of the car to share? In my mind, I can't picture gray soft dash material blending with wood trim, so I'd be interested in seeing the results. Anybody else try this upgrade on their Grand Am?

And what about the rear view mirror with a compass? Does it have a thermometer and how well does it work and cost?
  • Hi Mid Life Crisis,ThThank youfor your inquiries regarding the Donnelly Mirror ,and the exotic wood KitTo answer your questions ,I will be posting future pictures of my Finished GA,all decked out in the wood ,which I Think looks great The price of the Donnelly mirror is 199.99plus my friend who works for GM and owns a service garage charged me 50.00 to install it I find the features and quality of this mirror Excellent ,and its at least 2inhes wider for Better visability than the oem Donelly Donnellyactory installed mirror without the compass and auto dim featureHope ,this helps you for now ,and Thank`s for yourIinterest,againLook for my postings of the finished UP Grades,on my carTake CareSincerely BabyGrandAm1
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Posts: 187
    ...appreciate it when other guests organize thoughts into more easily read structures, let's stick to discussing the car instead of grammar.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • rpm9rpm9 Posts: 73
    ZZZZZZZZZZ. No posts in the last three days? I guess everyone's GA is running fine. Good deal for everyone!