Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• I am just about ready to buy a used 2000 Grand Am SE sedan. It has 16,000 miles on it and options include: 3.4 V6, AT, power windows, power mirrors, power door locks, am/fm cd w/ 6 speaker stereo, power height adj. driver seat, cruise, power sunroof, 16 in alloy wheels, spoiler, AC, Traction control and ABS. The dealer is fixing all scratches and dings and selling it for $14,000. Does this sound like a good deal?

Also, how difficult is it to put an aftermarket cd player in the Grand Am? Thanks.
  • nerssnerss Posts: 43
    It sounds like a good deal. I would obtain a history of the car and any service records that they might have on it. An aftermarket stereo is pretty easy to install and I would recommend an
    Alpine. That is what I have in my Blazer and I love it. The only drawback is that it renders any remote stereo controls on the steering wheel inoperable. Good Luck on your purchase.
  • Nerss,

Is this Alpine a double DIN reciever or does it require an adapter kit? Also, what color is the display? I have a single DIN Pioneer in my current car that I love, but the display is blue, which I feel will look lousy with the red dash lights.

If anyone has swapped their stock deck with an aftermarket that fits and looks good, please let me know. Thanks.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Posts: 218
    14k sounds good....check this site out and see what you come up with. You need to add your zip code and pick the appropriate equiptment. I found it helpful...

http://www.kbb.com/kb/ki.dll/kw.kc.tp?kbb&&32&split

Good luck...

Can't help you out on the CD replacement issue.

The alpine is not a double DIN, but they do make a double DIN CD Player. Their colors for the display are blue and green. I noticed that there are less stereos coming in red display colors. I do beleive that the new Sony Xplod series do come in red. My friend has one where the dolphins swim on the screen while stuff is playing. He really likes it, but it cost him around 400. Let me know what you decide.
  • I feel that most of the currently available double DIN stereos are an eyesore, but adapter kits can be too. I will probably stick with the stock system for awhile until i do find one with a red display. I have not had the best luck with Sony products, so I tend to stay away from them. My friend had an older Kenwood that could switch back and forth between green display and orange display. Too bad other manufacturers didn't offer this option.

Does removal of the stock stereo effect the theft deterant system? Thanks.
    I believe that the theft deterrent for the stereo is located and only effects the stereo. Therefore when you remove the stock stereo it will not effect the rest of the car. The stock stereo is pretty good-for a stock stereo. My fiancee loves to turn up the bass of hers and listen to the little "bump" that it provides. That Kenwood feature is pretty freakin' cool. I have heard that Sony does have customer service issues and quality control issues, but cross my fingers we haven't needed them for service with any of our electronics. Talk to ya later
    Got my '99 Grand Am SE Sedan back from the dealer this p.m.. The reason my door wouldn't open was the lock rod somehow came loose. Fixed under warranty with no cost to me.

By the way, got to lookin @ my 30k service receipt and noticed the following:

Recall 00036--CK on RECALL
    Completed

Latch 10.268

Replaced under warranty.

Does anyone know what that is about? I never got anything in the mail, nor did my service advisor tell me they had done some type of warranty work.

???

Thanks!
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    Component: INTERIOR SYSTEMS:CONSOLE (8/82)
    Manufacturer: GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
    Mfg. Campaign #: 00036
    Year: 1999
    Make: PONTIAC
    Model: GRAND AM
    Potential Number of Units Affected: 487400
    Manufactured From: OCT 1997 To: SEP 1999
    Year of Recall: '00
    Type of Report: Vehicle
    Summary:

Vehicle Description: These vehicles do not comply with the occupant protection requirements of FMVSS No. 201, "Occupant Protection in Interior Impact." The console cover on these vehicles does not stay closed when a specified vertical load is applied.

In the event of a crash, the console cover could open and the cover or items stored under it could injure an occupant.

Dealers will replace the console latch mechanism. Owner notification began June 9, 2000. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Oldsmobile at 1-800-442-6537 or Pontiac at 1-800-762-2737. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
    tonychrys-thanks for the information....I was hoping it had something to do with my trunk latch which I have to slam hard about 3 times to get it to lock. Oh well....

Take care.
    I would still make them adjust it, if it is still under warranty. Latch problems/adjustments happen all the time on any vehicle.
    The 99 GAs are notorious for the amount of road noise you hear. Has anyone taken their's to Ziebart or something like it to get underbody coating?

TC
    I guess I haven't paid much attention to the road noise. I'll take you on a ride in my Integra if you want to hear some loud road noise. You can't hear yourself think in it!

In the GA, I have noticed some rather bothersome wind noise, but I assumed it was coming from the side mirrors.

Thanks again for the info...you know, you did tell me to get the service dept. to look @ the trunk latch...unfortunately, I walk around in a cloud of confusion most of the time...

Take care.
  • Has anyone noticed if their GA's chrome trim (around the door window) is starting to rust or discolor where the two ends meet? I noticed this on the driver's door right next to the mirror on a 2000 GA I am looking to buy. Is this common with all GAs? Thanks.
    I remember researching the GA in 99 before I bought it and a common complaint in a lot of magazine reviews was the road/engine noise. It's definitely noticeable compared to other vehicles.

I just took delivery of a Lexus RX300 on Monday. You sometimes forget the engine (220hp) is on it's so quiet!
    I have a '99 and live by the ocean where things are NOTORIOUS for corroding and rusting. Mine seems to be holding up fine.

My guess in your case is that something probably nicked/scratched/rubbed the top layer of the chrome and allowed the rust process to start.

TC
  • joeyw1joeyw1 Posts: 1
    i used to own a 1989 grand am and it had over 200,000 miles when i bought it (mostly towing miles). Only one time did it not start (i live in iowa where it gets extremely cold). Even though the car was pretty used up when i bought it, it was still running when i got rid of it. In fact it is still running for these people. My point is i am thinking about buying a 1995 grand am,80K on it I don't want to do the loan thing so I am going to pay cash. I want to know if they have a good long running record without many difficulties. I am ditching a ford taurus which has had transmission, motor mount, and head gasket problems. I don't mind the minor stuff but want a dependable car. any input would be appreciated.
  • I had the console latch recall done by the dealer several months ago. When I got it home, it did not look or feel any different. It opened just as easy and the mechanism did not look any different. Either the dealer took me for a ride or the change was so minor it was unnoticeable. The whole recall just seemed so absurd to me. This is a downfall of living in such an overly litigous society.
    Agreed on the absurdity.

But all it takes is one pen to come flying out that glovebox, during an accident, and poking someone in the eye. The lawyers will have a field day.

8-P
    jdexter23

Went out this evening and examined my chrome door trim around the doors carefully. No rust or discoloration on mine.