Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• I also have the key problem. I was driving with a coworker just last week and she asked me why I was always grabbing my keys. I told her that I grab them going around turns because they clank against the dashboard and it is VERY annoying. She laughed at me. I really like having the ignition on the dashboard for ease of key insertion, but man it makes too much annoying noise! I was thinking of wrapping a rubber band around the keys, but that probably wouldn't work. Last week I removed 3 or 4 keys from my key chain, but it still makes noise. Maybe the sock isn't a bad idea. The keys will still sway back and forth, but maybe you can limit the noise it makes when hitting the dash.
  • sonic222sonic222 Posts: 2
    This is the first time I have worked on a quad four engine. After complaints from its owner {mother-in-law} about sluggish performance, I drove the car for look see. she was not kidding . It felt like it was running on two cylinders. I removed the coil tower cover and found telltale signs of carbon tracks from arching between the plug boots. replaced the coil tower,plug boots and plugs. I fired it back up and it ran like new. Now it seems to have an annoying slight but very noticeable miss when idling. The owner informs me that it was not there before I worked on it. I was hoping someone might have a suggestion as to what I might look at next. Thank you
  • canada7canada7 Posts: 4
    I just bought a used 2000 Grand Am V6 last week with 23000 km (about 14k miles) on it, and when I brake the front discs grind. Apparently a 150 pt. inspection was done without it being noticed, and I even brought the car in to the dealership and was told they couldn't hear anything. The fan has to be on low to hear it, but it's definitely evident to us. Has anybody else experienced this, or know what it is?

Besides that the car is awesome though!
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The front brake rotors are bad, and this is a Technical Service Bulletin on Grand Ams. Check this chat thread for alot more information on it. Talk to your dealer about having the new, stronger brake rotors put on your car, but do it quickly. Usually, brakes are only covered for 12K. Since this is a widespread problem, you should have no difficulty getting them replaced.
  • jkidd2jkidd2 Posts: 218
    I've posted on the body cladding before. I didn't buy mine because it had it...but, as everyone else has noted....I have no door dings @ all...the only car of 3 we have in our family that doesn't have them.

Side body cladding is a Pontiac tradition...someone else mentioned that there are a lot of cars/trucks/suv's out there now days besides the GA with cladding....nobody seems to say much about them...Pontiac is an easy target...different strokes for different folks. If you don't like it...don't buy it.

I've read a lot of postings here @ Edmunds and on other message boards of people complaining about water leaks in their GA's....have had no problem like that in mine. Wonder if there is a service advisory out there?
  • chaylanchaylan Posts: 2
    Working at a Pontiac dealership, I get to see what problems tend to recur in the different models/years of the Pontiacs brought in for service. A few people were commenting about water leaks in their 2000 GAs and there was a problem with this last year. If you just have a few water spots here and there, this probably doesn't apply to you. However, we had people coming in after hard summer rains (in FL where it rains every day in the summer) with a trunk full of water. This was apparently due to improper sealing of the rear window, causing water to leak in and down into the trunk and backseat. If you're experiencing a lot of water in the backseat/trunk area, I'd have that window looked at.

A very minor problem I found with my 2001 GT is this bizarre noise that occurred this weekend while driving on the interstate. Occasionally I would hear a noise that sounded like a very distant air horn. It wasn't particularly loud (I had passengers so the radio was off, may not have even heard it with the radio on), but a little worrisome since this is a brand-new car. It seemed to be coming from the rear of the car, and my backseat passenger said she felt the rear window vibrating when the noise occurred (differently from normal driving with no noise, so it wasn't due to normal road vibration). It was an extremely windy day, about 20-30mph winds with gusts of about 40mph. Anyone else experienced this problem? We figured it was probably the wind, maybe gusting under the spoiler or something, and making a really weird sound. I didn't experience the noise on the trip back home; the wind had died down and it was pouring rain. So it seemed to support my wind theory...

Otherwise, no other problems with my GT! I love my car. :)
  • rpm9rpm9 Posts: 73
    Well, I had to do it. I just recently voluntarily repossessed my 00 GA/SE-1/V6 coupe because I no longer could handle the payments. There goes my credit, but oh well. Anyway, I have to admit that I don't really miss it at all because overall, I didn't like the light steering, the so-so handling, and the ribbing started really getting on my nerves. Due to my financial situation, I went and bought a 94 Mazda 626/V6 for $6K and I have to admit that even though this car has 99K miles and that it's seven years old, that it rides and handles much better than the GA. I'm very happy to be back driving a Japanese car again. They truly are better cars than the ones made by American manufacturers.
  • RPM9 - Are you sure you're not just angry because you had to forfeit the car? A Mazda 626 with 99K rides and handles much better? Come on, get real.
  • yurakmyurakm Posts: 1,345
    Handling does not depend so much on mileage, as on basic design.

I have a 88 Ford Taurus L Wagon, with 129k miles. Old car, 14 years: build in summer 1987. Never know what will break the next time. Though, the handling is great - as on rails. I believe, this is due to rigid suspension. Probably, wagon have more stiff springs, than sedan.

Also, the seating position is very comfortable for me - better than in other cars I have / drove. The last thing is very personal, of course. Depends on body proportions: torso length, hand and leg length, etc.
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    I have to agree with midlife, sounds like somebody got in over their head and is a little bitter. Hey, it happens.

But yes, handling and ride can be subjective. The only objective measurement would be a timed slamon and skid-pad test.
    No, I am not bitter. Actually, I'm relieved that I got rid of my GA. Deep down inside, I felt that the financial investment that I made in the Pontiac wasn't worth it. This is why I chose to voluntarily repossess the vehicle rather than trying to do everything possible to keep it. I especially didn't care for the steering of the GA. It's way too light and the car just doesn't give you that solid feel you get from a Japanese car. My 94 Mazda 626/V6 has a very firm ride and feels tight and solid; more so than the GA even though the Mazda has 99K miles. If you don't believe me, I suggest you go test drive one and you'll see for yourself. Take in mind that I'm not bashing the Pontiac Grand Am. I'm just simply saying that for the money, I would rather drive a $6K 626 than a $15K GA. I believe that the 626 is a better value.
  • Dear sonic222,
    You did well diagnosing and repairing your mother-in-law's quad-4. You may never get the car to run *perfectly*; she should be grateful she has someone to turn to, that has enough common sense to find an obvious, but often over-looked problem. A quad-4 with some advanced mileage on it will have some normal wear that can cause a misfire. A couple of common things to try would be replacing the O2 sensor; around 60K to 70K is a pretty good life expectency. The platinum compound coating wears over time and use, causing the fuel-air mixture to go awry. You can also try cleaning the fuel injectors with a quality cleaner like Redline-SI; most other cleaners are not very effective in my experience. Also use a fuel-injection grade throttle body spray cleaner to clean in and around the throttle plate.
    If you are feeling adventuresome, you can also search for vacuum leaks (have fun!). Particularly check the rubber intake ducting going to the throttle body, it may develop cracks over time.
    Good luck!
    - Dave -
  • bmarkbmark Posts: 52
    1st, to RPM no matter what you say, I have driven an 85, a 92, and a 94 626 and they suck. Secondly, yeah its really smart to let a car get repossed ( pardon my spelling), you ever think of selling it?
    2nd, to whoever asked about how it drives in the snow, the car handles great. I know it sounds like a commercial, but I was a stop light during a snowstorm and there was an Accord, and a Camry next to My 2000 Gt, and when the traction control kicked in I blew them away.
    3rd I think the cladding on the GT is better looking than on the se, but I agree with everyone, I have no door dings, and my 96 Sunfire GT that I traded in had a ton of them.
    Finally, I feel bad for anyone who has had a lot of problems, I have had my 2000 GT since Oct 99, and have 27,000 miles on it, and the only problem I had was with the rotors. The Grand Am is a great car, and better than anything else in its class.
  • whackowhacko Posts: 96
    I can't wait for you to post your opinion of your 2000 GA/GT when your car hits 50K miles. I'm sure you'll have a very different story by then. Furthermore, don't forget to share with us the resale value of your car when it hits that mark.
  • lrymallrymal Posts: 105
    Whacko sez: "I can't wait for you to post your opinion of your 2000 GA/GT when your car hits 50K miles."

Still tight, rattle free, drives straight, everything works. No change from when it was new. No expected failures, such as waterpump, alternator, hoses, power steering pump, or starter.

Depreciation and resale value? HA! What American car doesn't do a nose drive on $$$ value as soon as it leaves the dealer's parking lot.

I was amazed that at the local dealer, a fully decked out 1999 Park Avenue was going for $18,000. That's almost 50% depreciation.
  • If you want depreciation, buy a Neon or small Kia or Hyundai. Almost all American cars drop value very quickly. And as lyrmal said, the big cars are the worst. I almost bought a 3-year old Lincoln a few years ago. It's resale cost was less than half of it's MSRP and it only had 32,000 miles on it!

I'm glad to hear that someone has 51K on their car and it's still running strong. There seems to be a lot of pessimism on this forum recently. My 1999 GT is approaching 26K miles and has had no performance part failures except for the rotors. I had a couple of minor cosmetic things fixed under warranty.

Even if I could afford or wanted to buy a new car, I can't think of anything else other than the Grand Am that would fit all my requirements for the price I paid. So I'll be sticking with it for some time to come.

Anybody else out there care to post the mileage on their Grand Am? I'd be interested to see who's got the highest so far.
    There is always a strong influence of pessimism with a group of people who share a common bond involving a negative subject matter. Such is the case with hate groups, prison populations, and people who own Korean and American made cars.
  • tonychrystonychrys Posts: 1,310
    I would love to hate my '99 GA SE2 sedan (once you own a Lexus you'll understand) but you know what? I can't. I drive over 700, hard (NYC area roads) miles a week and at 20k miles it is still tight and rattle free. Never had any problems excpet the brakes which I'm trying to get the dealer to replace under warranty. No leaks, squeaks, rattles, etc.

For the money, it's a good value, and one of GM's best sellers. Now if GM could just do something about the cheap looking interior...

Sounds like Whacko has sour grapes, maybe he got a lemon? Hey, it happens with ANY brand of car.
  • whackowhacko Posts: 96
    I can't wait for your post when your car hits the 100K mark. I'm sure you'll have a very different story by then. The true benchmark of a well-built car is how long it lasts after 100K miles and how much money is invested in keeping the car running right. I'm sure you are well aware that Pontiac is not known for manufacturing cars that have a good track record in longevity. Sure there may be some that slip through the cracks, but overall, you don't hear people say "go out and buy a Pontiac if you want a good reliable car that will last you a long time". This statement belongs to the Japanese carmakers and they have proven it. Case closed.
  • nerssnerss Posts: 43
    I am really glad to see that Whacko has nothing better to do with his/her time than log on to a chat room and crap all over a car that he disliked, but we love or like. If you don't have anything helpful to say then just stay the heck out of this chat room so that we can have a meaningful discussion. I don't login to the Ford chat room and rant about how much a Ranger sucks because the one I had was problematic. I made my decision to not buy a Ford and I keep my opinions to myself. I think that you should follow that same philosophy yourself.