Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• I need to know where the gas goes into the engine on a 2001 grand am 6 cyl. I have been told to put magnets there to enhance gas mileage but I cant find the exact spot....
  • i have a 2001 grand am sometimes it wants to idle at 60mph but if you shut the car off and restart it it idles perfect dose anyone know how to fix this problem thank you
  • My wife has an '01 V6. The wiper fluid leaks pretty fast. My question is where is the bottom of the reservior?
    I noticed a hole under the car next to the wheel well that the fluid leaks from, but is this the actual reservior bottom (It seems deep!)?
    I am thinking of plugging the hole up with an epoxy type compound but I want to make sure that's where the problem is and I'm not plugging up a drian hole that should be there,
    Any help would be appreciated
  • i have a 2001 pontiac grand am i had the same problem check your reservior hose . where it rubs aginst the battery mine had a hole there (right there where it rubs aginst the battery) i hope this solves your problem.
  • check with your delar gm recalled that part on my 2001 grand am you didnt state what year yours was
  • I have a 95 Grand AM. It starts up really hard and the engine shakes like crazy! Idling, when I give it gas, it revs up but when I let off, it completely dies. Please help! This thing has been nothing but trouble! The oxygen censor was changes pretty recently (w/in 5 months), but it's not the first time it has went bad!
  • Hi I would be looking at the plug wires and the coils I found that on one of my coils the metal electrode was totally carboned up even after I cleaned it the car misfired and shook so I swapped one from a parts car that I have and it fixed it I also replaced the plug wires to those two cylinders. If you stand by the car you may hear a clicking noise as the fire jumps down the coil. Only other thing I can think of is there is a hose that I think goes to the fuel pressure regulator it is right down near the coil pack if it is unplugged the car will be hard to start and run rough have a look anyway see if you have any visible air leaks.
    regards
    rod
    93 Grand Am
    95 Grand Am
    93 and 95 parts Grand Ams
  • My heater blower is not working. I feel some heat but nothing is coming out when you turn the heat on. Please someone help me. :cry:
  • I have a 2000 GA 4 cyl. I too have a wiper fluid leak, but it's at the pump mechanism. If I don't use the washer fluid, I don't have a leak, but if I use it a lot I notice a puddle in the driveway afterwards.

I'd probably replace it myself, but I'm sure a new pump is $$ and it's really not too much of a bother.
  • I just spoke with GM in Toronto (Roy Foss). The service super indicated that the problem is the "Passlock Housing". I believe the OBDII code is B2960. The error can be turned off with an OBDII tester (like you get at Canadian Tire), but you can also turn the key to the "On" position for 10 minutes, cleari">ng the computer codes, which will result in the vehicle starting again.

The repair of the Housing (sort of an ignition module) costs about 400.00 CAN and takes 1.5 to 2 hours to complete. He indicated it would clear up the whole problem. From what I've heard here I'm not so sure.

Another option he offered was to have a good quality (ie: Alpine, Viper) remote starter installed. This permits the keyless starting of the vehicle. The ignition contacts that are not working correctly are then by-passed. I'm not sure how well this works. My friend indicated he put in the remote starter and that "did not" solve the problem. His suggestion was to just keep clearing the computer. My problem is getting to frequent to put up with that. BTW: The service supervisor also indicated that repeated clearing of the computer by means of turning the "On" switch for 10 minutes "does not" in any way create computer problems. I'm still not sure about that one either :(

Take care,
    Mustangman
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,522
    If I'm not mistaken, the passlock system disables the fuel pump, so bypassing it with remote starter won't help. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    I had this repair done on my 99 when I had it. That cleared up the problem and it didn't recur. It was around $330 US. If I recall, the parts were about $100 of the total.
  • Does anyone know how to tighten it up? there's a tweeter built into the pillar, I assume there are bolts underneath that, but I wanted to check here first before I start taking stuff apart.

Thanks

Joe
  • My 95 grand am does that if I have less than a 1/4 tank of gas.
  • Sometimes the blower on my 95 Grand Am works sometimes it doesn't. Possibly it could be when the weather is cold. How can I get the blower to work all the time?
  • ivy7ivy7 Posts: 1
    oh my god i have the same problem with my 93 pontiac grand am i was told there are a few things it could be and done my own research... one it could be the thermistate stuck open or closed this is the cheapest thing to fix so hope it is this, it could be your heater core which is like 35 to 45 dollars to replace mind you this is if you do it yourself, or it could be your heating counsoule which is where the nobs are and i think this is it cuz my electric is bad in my car how about yours??? cuz that has electric conections so who knows let me know asap cuz it is winter here and i need heat >>> DK :cry: :confuse: :sick:
  • I have a 2000 Grand Am and the Service engine soon light keeps popping up. It's not a everyday thing but its close does anyone know what is causing it to happen?
  • replacing the heater core in these cars is not very easy you have to take the center console out and most of the dash plastic parts I did my old 93 grand am in dead of winter and ended up with a backseat full of parts I would look at thermostat first your fan relay could be stuck causing the cooling fan to run all the time have a look at that.
    regards
    rod
  • i have a 2001 grand am sometimes it wants to idle at 60 mph but if you shut the car off and restart it it runs fine can anyone help me fix this problem thank you
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,522
    It's impossible to say, since so many things can cause it to come on. One thing you can do is check to see if the gas cap is on correctly and is tight, and that the seal is not damaged. A loose gas cap can cause it to come on since the vapor recovery system can't hold a vacuum if the cap is loose.
    Otherwise you will probably need the codes read off the maintenance port to see why it's happening.
  • I OWN A 2001 PONTIAC GRAND AM AND I CANT BEGIN TO TELL YOU HOW MUCH OF A PIECE OF CRAP IT IS. EVERYHIGN FROM NOT STARTING TO THE LEAKS TO NOW IT IS BOGGING OUT. HAVE HAD LOTS OF WORK DONE.WOULD BE GLAD TO GO INTO DETAIL IF YOU EMAIL ME.THANKS :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
  • I also have filed a complaint with the NHTS (800)424-9393. It seems when the Grand Am reaches 40k miles the security system starts acting up. I am amazed at how many people are having this problem, yet there is no recall! Last week it happened to our friend's 2002 Grand Am. I refuse to pay $500. for a defective system. Please file complaints with the NHTS, they will get GM to issue a recall if everybody files a complaint in regards to the security passlock failure. :mad:
  • I have a 98 Grand Am GT and I keep getting what sounds like a low grinding sound, I had my brother in law drive the car and he said it sounds like a wheel bearing.... My first question is, how am I sure thats what it is? and second if so how can I tell wich side its going out on? Thanks for any tips on this I am lost.
  • put your emergancy brake on put your car in nutral jack the front of your car off the ground spin one of the front wheels with your hands see if you hear the grinding noise go to the other side do the same thing if its the wheel barings youll hear it grind and on which side its coming from if its only coming from one side your better off having both sides replaced anyway it will only be a matter of time before the other side gose bad i hpoe this helps
  • I was looking at purchasing a 2004 Grand Am, but after reading these postings I've decided against it. They're great looking cars, but I can't afford to make payments on a car that might not start after it reaches 40K. Thanks to everyone for posting this info and stay at it. If enough people spread the word, GM will have to respond. Good Luck everyone.
  • Hi,
    I've got the same problem, can you help?
  • my wife has a 01 grand am gt. the other day the automatic transmission would hesitate to downshift but eventually would, but then wouldnt upshift. my codereader gave me the mass air flow sensor, but how can that possibly be related to the trnny shifting? any and all help would be greatly appreciated
  • thats correct check to make sure it is hooked up that the hose or wire conecting to it didnt come unpluged first before you buy one it should be on your filter somewhere a friends car did the same thing i hope this helps
  • your air filter sorry
  • I own a '00 Grand Am SE2 that just turned 70,500 miles. When ever I idle for too long at a stop, my engine temp. rises over the 200 mark (which is it's normal stay), but it does not go into the RED ZONE. Then, once I start moving it slowly goes back down to 200. Anyone have any ideas on what is happening? Also, my vehicle seems to idle 'rough'. Meaning, it sounds rough, louder then it should, any suggestions as to what kind of engine maintenance I should be looking at doing. Thanks!
    :confuse:
  • Forgot to ask earlier, does anyone know where I can get a list of all the service bulletins for my vehicle and information on what they are. Found a site that lists all the bulletins, but un-able to open the links and read what they are without paying for it! '00 Grand Am SE2
    Thanks again! :lemon: