Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• I have had continuous problems with my car from day one. I bought it with a dent in the trunk lid. It took me three trips to the dealer and body shop to correct the problem (at their expense). Within one week I had a blown fuse that took out my dome light. Fixed. Then I had the rotors replaces after 2,000 miles! Fixed at their expense. I talked to a man who works on cars that also owned a grand am. He had two sets of rotors put within 12,000 miles. All of this is covered under warranty which is great. However, if this these problems are reoccurring (rotors)then why is the problem not completely fixed.

I fear that my rotors are starting to pulsate once again at 3,700 miles! This is ridiculous. Now I have discovered that the paint is chipping and peeling off my hood. It looks like I have white polka dots every where.

Am I going to be able to enjoy this new car at some point?
  • pwilliamkpwilliamk Posts: 21
    I haven't had any major problems with my car yet but all kinds of little things. When I picked it up there were two large scratches on the hood they said it would be taken car of I have only had it two months and the scratches are present as ever. I think that they will take care of it. I find that the brakes are weak, I have a hesitancy in the engine when I start it, gas mileage is pretty poor especially since I have the 4 cyl. The thing that really gets me is the 5spd part. I had one ordered for 6 months and finally gave in and got the automatic. 6 weeks after I get my automatic I find that they are now making the five speeds now that really burns me. I love how the car looks, feels, and handles with exception of the braking power. If every one has the same problems why are they not doing something about it.

Pete
  • pdxmanpdxman Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 Grand Am SE2 with sunroof/moonroof. Now I know the difference between a $600 roof and a $1200 roof. I didn't realize when I got the car that most roofs slide INTO the roof, not raise UP from the roof when fully opened. Besides causing some wind drag, it just out and out feels cheap compared the better roofs. I'll be in an accident one day, for sure. I keep looking for open sunroofs on the road and seeing what other cars are built like this. So far, it's only been cheaper GM (Sunfire, Cavalier, etc). Does anybody know how prevalent this type of sunroof is? Does anybody know if Alero, Grand Am's twin, has the same type of roof?
  • jojo29jojo29 Posts: 1
    I bought my car used, 21,000miles. A friend bought hers new, and had water trouble almost immediately (3,000) miles. There is a service bulletin out for this dumping water onto the floor boards. I had to wait 7 months for the dealer to get me a new radio...the cd player didn't work from day one. Finally had to call the gm 800 number for resolution.
    I briefly considered an Alero. I am almost positive that the Alero comes with the same type of sunroof. The cars are exactly the same except for the body. As far as I know the the Civic Si and Si-R dip into the roof.

Pete
  • dreric1dreric1 Posts: 1
    I bought my son a new 1999 Grand Am GT about one year ago. He really takes good care of the car considering that he is a 17 year old kid, but one day last week he thought that it would be cool to get into his practically new car with a large screwdriver in his pocket (he is a very "smart" kid), and apparently from what he has told me ripped a 4 inch gash in the leather on the front and a 3 inch gash in the leather with a hole on the bottom seat part all on accident. I don't know what to do about a situation like this, never had to deal with it, but should I take it to a dealer or try some "Leather Fixer." I don't think the creames will fill in a big tear and hole, but what do ya all think??
    Thanks Much!
    Eric M.D.
  • delgado3delgado3 Posts: 4
    I JUST BOUGHT A PONTIAC GRAND AM SE 4D. IT HAS 40,000 MILES ON IT. PONTIAC 98. I WOULD LIKE TO FIND OUT IF ANYBODY HAS HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS VEHICLE. DEB.
  • nickpernickper Posts: 28
    What problems are you having? Do you have the 2.4 4-cyl or the 3.1 V-6 engine?
    I HAVE THE 3.1 V-6 ENGINE. PONTIAC GRANDAM 4DR SEDAN. IM HEARING SOME KIND OF CRACKLING NOISE WHEN I TURN TO MY RIGHT OR LEFT TURNS.I TOOK IT TO A REPAIR SHOP, THEY TOLD ME IT COULD BE THE RACK-PINON,IM WONDERING THIS CAR ONLY HAS 40,000M ON IT,COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM,ALSO THE BRAKES,WHEN IM PRESSSING THE BRAKES TO A FAST STOP,THE BRAKES JERK, IS THIS NORMAL,OTHERWISE THE CAR IS A GOOD PRIVDER. DEB
    I HAVE THE 3.1 V-6 ENGINE. PONTIAC GRANDAM 4DR SEDAN. IM HEARING SOME KIND OF CRACKLING NOISE WHEN I TURN TO MY RIGHT OR LEFT TURNS.I TOOK IT TO A REPAIR SHOP, THEY TOLD ME IT COULD BE THE RACK-PINON,IM WONDERING THIS CAR ONLY HAS 40,000M ON IT,COULD THIS BE THE PROBLEM,ALSO THE BRAKES,WHEN IM PRESSSING THE BRAKES TO A FAST STOP,THE BRAKES JERK, IS THIS NORMAL,OTHERWISE THE CAR IS A GOOD PRIVIDER. 1998 PONTIAC GRANDAM 4DR SEDAN. DEB.
    If you are referring to the `99 and `00 Grand ams they no longer come in a 3.1 V6 rather a 3.4 V6
  • nickpernickper Posts: 28
    I have a '96 (same body style) and had the exact same problem! What it ended up being was the trans. mount was loose. The car was still under the extended warranty so no charge at the dealership. It was fixed in no time once they found out what it was. It took 2 dealership visits for them to find what it was though.
  • I own a 1998 Grand Am SE with the 3100 V-6 engine, and all was well until the check engine light came on on my 95 mile drive to work and the car began jerking sensations, so when I got in town I drove right to the dealer who was just opening and they diagnosed it as a bad #3 Injector and the repair took all day and I drive all day so I Also got charged for the 250 miles I put On the dealers car and the total was $494.00. This happened again two weeks later except it was the #6 injector, and the total was $457.00, thats almost $1000.00 worth of repairs in 1 month. Does anyone know about this kind of problem, I am now using fuel injector cleaner, and premium gas. Do you think anymore injectors will go out?? The car has 68,900 miles on it! I need a reliable car,
    Thanks
  • matikamatika Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing a rental fleet Grand Am. It has the V6 and was wondering what kind of gas milege people are getting with it? Also any concerns or advice would be appreciated. The car has 28K on it, I believe it is a SE1. Wish it was a GT, but that's not in my budget.
    Thanks!
  • Pete,
    I agree with you on the 5 spd. That is what I wanted with my 2000. The dealer never said that they were coming out with a 5 spd. He just said "They don't make a 5 spd." A lot of good he was. I am ready to give mine back with all of the problems.
    Crystal,

I really hate driving the automatic it is so damn boring. Last Tuesday I got a call from the dealership that I had ordered the 5spd from. The salesman said that it was in and I could pick it up. When I came in to have a look at it and said that I want to trade the automatic in on the 5spd I was told that it would cost me $5000. I currently have an SE2 with 1900m, the 5spd was an SE1. How in the world does that come out to $5000. I am sick and tired of car dealers in general. I did however get a good deal on my car, that I must admit. Lets just say I am not happy about this.

Pete.
  • mccallr1mccallr1 Posts: 1
    I just purchased a new 2000 Grand Am SE2 and love it, but I noticed some interference/noise coming through the radio. It sounds like engine noise (not an alternator whine, but more like static). It only lasts a few seconds at a time and then disappears for a while. Does anyone have the same problem? I have the premium sound system with AM/FM/CD/Cassette, and 6 speakers with subwoofer. Other than the engine noise through the radio every so often--it's a great car and I love it!
  • carrjarcarrjar Posts: 6
    In fuel injection cars the injectors typically fail early for two reasons, 1 dirt and 2 electrical. You could have gotten a tank of gas from a cheap place and all the fuel injector cleaner in the world won't help. The filter or lines are filled with dirt that gets realeased and fouls an injector. If it is electrical, the injector that is bad often makes the other injectors go bad. The bad injector continues to function. If it happens again it is the dealer fault. He need to check all the injectors and computer to make sure the injectors are not the problem and the filter is clean.
  • azwmmazwmm Posts: 8
    I've got a '99 SE 2 with the V-6 and 9000 miles . My mpg to and from work averages 24. This is part freeway and part city at rush hour. On a longer freeway trip it get 30mpg at 75mph with the A/C on. This is not a guess by looking at the gauge, I do the math at fill up.
  • I have a 1999 GT with 11,000 miles that averages 23/24 mpg with part freeway and part city driving. I've never had it on very long trips. Best ever was 27 mpg on a two-hour trip.

Just noticed my back door interior material "bubbling" up and pulling away at the base of the windows. This seems to be a very common problem and I hope to get it to the dealer soon to have it fixed. Has anybody had this repair done? Do they replace the fabric material or just reglue it somehow?

Also, when I shut my door, I hear a vibration/rattle coming from the hood latch area. It's almost as if something is loose in the front of the car. Anybody had a similar experience?
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Posts: 88
    As shown on Dateline last night - what does every one think?
    GM said their
    own tests were tougher - look at these pix!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.highwaysafety.com/vehicle_ratings/ce/mid_inexp/summary.htm
  • edwardh1edwardh1 Posts: 88
    To see the pix, click on the link above, then on Grand Am and scroll down to see pix of the drivers area.
    Not good.
  • szerfasszerfas Posts: 53
    I saw the Dateline on the car crash results too. I was very disappointed in the performance of the GrandAm. GMs letter was just a bunch of garbage; a knee jerk reaction. It is always funny seeing those. Naturally Nissan had an equally written letter. On the other hand Subaru praised the tests and said that's how they designed their cars to be.

None the less, GM should be disgusted by those results. If I had known about them before I had purchased my car I probably would have chosen different. At the very least it should have done as well as the Malibu. GMs excuse that they went through a series of tougher tests does not mean too much to me. There is no choice in accident and the car should be designed to handle all different ones at least well. Looking at the results on average Toyota and Honda did.

I have liked my GrandAm and still do but GMs position on safety here is discouraging. Putting DRLs and airbags is not all you have to do make it safe GM!

Stephen
  • I too am upset with the Grand Am offset test results. Since the car was not tested prior to my purchase, I looked up the last generation Grand Am, which had average ratings. So I figured the new GA would probably be average. Wrong!!! Now I don't know what to do. Financially I've got to keep the car at least another year. And I really like the car. Just hope I don't get into any accidents in the near future.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    Please be aware that these test results are very subjective. They are only indications of crashworthiness based on repeatable test conditions. Real world results often differ. The test car had the 4cyl. engine. How would the V6 make a difference?
  • szerfasszerfas Posts: 53
    I am not at the point where I am going to get rid of GA by any means but I think that there should have been a bigger effort on developing the crumple zones and safety cage. These are not new ideas, GM should have been capable of better research in these areas. The way GrandAm handles and some of the other features I hope help in avoiding accidents. I have avoided plenty of accidents in my Buick that CR should have said was hard to do in that car.

Just some thoughts.
  • emkayusaemkayusa Posts: 7
    The crash test site was very enlightning. I have spent the last hour on it...on company time :} (we have multiple T1's) My car tested poorly...real poorly. It's a '96 Galant. in the 30, and 35mph, and the side impact it did extremely well, but in the 40mph offset on that site, it looked bad. It's good to see that the newer Galant's did much better, near the top. At least Mitsubishi made an effort to address the problem. I guess all I have to do, is avoid an offset collision...yeah right, like I have a choice if a drunk veers into my lane.
  • clint83clint83 Posts: 1
    I bought my 1995 Grand AM SE Sedan and everything is going really well, but I am feeling a lot of bumps and my car drifts often. I think the tires are the original ones. The are called Euro I think and there is 66k miles. Can anyone tell me if I should get new tires and what kind would go best for my type of car and to absorb some of the road bumpiness?
  • hillrwhillrw Posts: 11
    I have had a 96 Grand Am since last November and just noticed something over the weekend. When the dial for the air/vent/defrost is set to the location with the arrows pointing to both the face and the feet of the human figure, the air conditioning compressor is turned on. I assumed that the AC ran only when the dial was set to either "max" or AC. On this car the setting with the arrow to both the head and feet is next to AC and I assumed that this was a fresh air vent setting (instead of AC). The AC comes on with this setting regardless of the setting of the temperature dial. Does anybody here know if this is normal?
  • I don't know about your 96 GA, but my 1997 Windstar kicks in AC automatically when you select face/feet on the selector. I can't figure out why, but the manual confirms it. Don't you have a manual to read up on it?