Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Pontiac Grand Am

Comments

• robnyvarobnyva Posts: 1
    Bought a New 04 grand am gt v6 Ram Air this past Saturday and I love the car. About 250 miles on the car
    My Car coolant temp from the gauge on the dashboard runs from 200-205 Normal load No harsh conditions other than being the summer.
     Any car Ive ever owned never ran this hott, 180-190 seems the Norm.
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    That's normal. If your out in the southwest desert going uphill on a day that's 110+ it usually goes a little higher.
  • nick4597nick4597 Posts: 50
    I also just purchased a black GT Coupe end of July. The car is real quick and feels real solid (for now at least). Does seem to go through gas almost as bad as the 4Runner I got out of, we'll see after I break it in a bit. REALLY love the Monsoon MP3 player (I got 190 songs on one CD)... who needs a CD changer? My car seems to run in the 200-205 temp range also, my last car was slightly less but ever car is spec'd differently. Got it for $18,250 w/ the package that includes the moonroof, wheels, monsoon, etc. It's a shame they're re-naming the replacement, Grand Am's have a great history. Oh well.
  • My car did something very scary today. When I tried to brake, my car would not slow down. The RPMs jumped up to 7 and would not go down. Even my emergency brake did not stop the car. I had to throw it in to park. When I did, the car made a terrible grinding noise and finally came to a stop. The engine was still revving so I turned off the car. When I turned it back on the RPM jumped immediately to the red line. It did that both times I started the car. Finally, the third time I started it, it was normal. I've had a similar problem before and the dealer told me they couldn't find anything wrong with my car. Has anyone had a similar problem or any idea about what it might be?
  • burdawgburdawg Posts: 1,524
    This is pretty simple but don't get me wrong, this does happen more frequently than we like to admit. Is your floor mat pushed up against your accelerator pedal?
  • Well my luck seems to running low. My 1999 Grand Am GT1 gave me 5 1/2 years of near flawless operation. Now in just few weeks, I have reported replacing the AC Compressor, the Input Manifold Gaskets, I now had to replace the Alternator. All this with less than 48,000 miles. The reason I replaced the power steering pump and water pump was preventative maintenance since the engine was all laid out with the other repair and I just had to pay for the parts and no additional labor.

The car is now running perfect again but it was disappointing to have to lay out $2,500 on basic non-maintenace parts. I feel GM just has a very low mean mileage to failure standard. Hopefully, my car will be maintenance free for the next few years. Anyhow, my idea of trading for the G6 has been on indefinite hold.
  • Well, today the car finally broke down, My wife was pulling out of the garage when the car made a large clunk noise and the nose of the car now leans down on the drivers side. I crawled under the car and the spring on the drivers side cracked completly in half about 1/3 of the way up. Towed to the delaership and est of 380 clams to fix. (Both springs) While they were under there I had them replace the broken strut mount on the passenger side (could hear a sound like a bag of plastic being rattled). That ran another 80 dollars. This seems like an odd problem for a car that is driven very minimally and carefully by my wife. Anyone else have this problem???
  • ocmike3ocmike3 Posts: 232
    I purchased a 2002 G/Am SE1 (23k miles) for my daily commute (~64 miles). I had actually used the car as a loaner a couple of times and after getting great mileage asked the dealer what they needed to get out of the car if I were to make an offer. I really like the car but my only complaint is the the seat. It seems like the seat is too short for my upper leg and the front bolster meets my leg about 4-5 inches behind the knee. I sort of experience a pinch ( left leg has the tendency to fall asleep after 5-10 minutes unless I keep moving it around). I was thinking a short cushion under my rear might help. I've looked at a lot and all are too big (the seat well inside the bolsters measures ~ 12"x12". Has anyone a suggestion for a small non-slip cushion other than a folded up towel?
  • dick60dick60 Posts: 12
    My 1999 GT1 with 50,000 has developed some interior noises that are somewhat annoying. The A/C fan makes a soft mouse like noise which stops when the fan is turned OFF. The steering wheel makes a rubbing sound when making large turns such as parking or large sweeping turns.

Does anyone know if the A/C fan can be lubricated to eliminate this noise. Also, will some oil in the steering wheel crack correct this steering noise?
  • Hello, and thank you in advance for giving me a hand here. I recently purchased a 2002 Grand Am GT and I am very impressed with the car so far. What I am looking for is information on how I can increase the performance of my car in any way possible by adding on performance parts. This would include power chips, ingition and fuel injection upgrades, and maybe even using a supercharger unit. I am looking for suppliers of these materials also. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • I purchased a 96 Grand Am SE for my daughter with 48,000 miles. The car will occasionally start but stall right away, if you wait 10-15 minutes it will start and stay running. I replaced the fuel pump and filter. the car ran good for 3 weeks then had 1 episode of start stall. Any suggestions?
  • How do you remove the light fixture to gain access to the lamps. My manual show a bad picture and says to lift 2 retention clips. My car does not look like the photo and I cant find anything that looks like 2 retention clips. I did remove two bolts that held part of the mounting fixture, but that was not enough. I have to be missing something simple here.
  • The bolts you removed may have been for aiming the lamps. There are no bolts to remove when taking off the assembly. There are 2 black "L"-shaped metal clips that hold the assembly in place. From the top of the assembly, you can see 2 black tabs. Just pull them up and wiggle them a bit. Once the clips are off, you can pull the entire assembly out and change the bulbs.
  • thanks for the info,

I saw the aiming bolts, those were torx head, I removed larger hex head bolts. Do I have to remove a large plastic cover to gain access to these clips. There is a plastic cover that spans the entire width of the car that has access holes to the aiming bolts as well as the bolts I removed. This cover is not shown in the picture in my manual.
  • moeharrimoeharri Posts: 108
    Yes, you have to remove the black ram air cover (assuming you have a GT). I did this last weekend and it took me 4 (!) hours to change a headlight!!! I cannot believe how hard it is to do work on a GM car. On our Explorer, I could change the spark plugs and headlights in under 10 minutes combined. I cannot believe that anyone would consider this process acceptable. Let me know if you have any more questions; I feel your pain (and mine, in my hands!).
  • Yes, I did forget to mention that you have to remove the black plastic trim panel. Easiest way to lift off the fasteners is with an interior trim tool. Or just use a flat head screwdriver to lift the center part of the fastener. Then you'll see those tabs.

It really isn't so bad compared to changing the lights on the current Jetta or an older Mitsubishi I used to drive.
  • Thanks, got it done

One simple line in the manual would have been nice - remove black plastic cover, then ...

And the picture in the manual is taken after the unmentioned step!!!

Oh well, It will be easier next time.
  • masonmimasonmi Posts: 148
    I was car shopping today and stopped into the local Pontiac Dealership and noticed there were about 3 or 4 different 2004 Grand Am models left, I test drove the SE2 i think which has the power sun roof leather seats also the GT model was nice, the dealership also had an SE1 or SE model which was a 4 cyl. I didnt get a chance to test drive it however I noticed it was almost 2,000 less than the SE2 model, and it had the power sunroof keyless entry, is there a major difference in the 4 cyl compared to the 6 cyl? and how are the reliability on the Grand AM's?
  • I hate them! Anyway to turn them off? Any secret codes or something? The sensor doesn't even work. It can be 85+ degrees out and full sunshine, yet the full headlights come on! And that dims the stereo which I hate. Any suggestions? Thanks!
  • jprybajpryba Posts: 201
    Well, with the 96-98 Grand Am, I believe you can raise the parking brake one click and disable the DRLs that way. (This won't actually set the parking brake, though -- to do that, you would have to raise it a bit higher.)

I don't think you can do this with the 99 and up Grand Am, though.

Anyway, I liked the DRLs when I had my 96 Grand Am. It was the only thing in the car that never broke down ;)