Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Century

Comments

• At least you don't have all of the problems with your car at the same time of the year.
    Because I am not a dealer I can tell you that not everybody likes a stiff neck.
  • Has anyone seen a STERLING SILVER Century SE 2000? A dealer told me Buick is not supplying them yet. Is this true? I want that color loaded all options.
  • I went to the L.A. Auto Show last week. I went to compare "family" sedans. I looked at all the larger Japanese cars, the Ford Taurus, the new Chevy Impala and others. I decided that my favorite one was the Buick Century. It was one of the few cars that didn't have a center console. I don't like center consoles because they take up valuable space. The split bench of the Century was confortable and roomy. There was also plenty of room in the back seat. I was very disappointed in the Japanese cars. Apparently, there is not a single Japanese car sold in the U.S. that doesn't have a console. What's more, every Japanese car I sat in was exactly the same inside. A complete lack of innovation.
    One thing nice about the Buick Century is, because they are very popular for rental companies, you can buy one used from Hertz or others for a very good price. A new Century Custom goes for about $20,000, but a one year old model from Hertz with about 28,000 miles on it goes for about $12,500.
  • I purchased a 1998 Custom first and drove it 15k miles. I didn't like the engine performance and the exhaust noise. Also, had a squeek next to the right door hinge and dash which could not be found. So, I traded for a 1999 Custom and am very excited with the performance and mileage. I asked an owner who parked next to me at the mall why did the by a Century? Lady said she checked all of the cars out and got the most bang for the buck with the Century.
    The only minor problem to this point is a ticking in the heater fan when the weather is hot outside. Motor must expand from the heat and the armature must hit the fixed magnets. Hope it goes away. The recall for the antilock brakes took about 20 minutes to fix. I tried loosing control on an icy bridge and could not with antilock and traction control. I really appreciate the system when I hydroplaned on a large freeway water lake at 70 mph. Killed my speed instantly to keep control. Its great.
    I did own a 1987 Century for 10 years and had many problems and almost did not get another one.
  • See my response number 3084.
  • Hi Everyone! I'm new here and need some help if you don't mind. We are purchasing a Buick Century Custom with almost all options and we want the moonroof but they can't locate a car with all the options and color we want. The only thing missing is the moonroof so the dealer told us they have someone they deal with that has been in business for over 30 yrs and installs the same moonroofs that the manufacture does and will give the same garantee 3yrs/30000 miles on the moonroof just like Buick does. I've heard horror stories of ordering a car from Buick and if we do decide to order the dealership says they can't gurantee the 60 month 4.9 financing that Buick is offering right now. So my question is what would you do? Should I trust the quality of the work from a outside source for the moonroof or should I try another dealership that is willing to give me the financing while I order the car? Any help is appreciated and fast.

Thanks....you can e-mail me personally or post here.

Rose ARHHHH@aol.com
  • IF you can find another dealer that can provide the specific car with the moonroof you want with the financing you want, go for it. If not, I would trust them with the outsourcing.

The reason I say that you should go with another dealer if possible is because there might be some issues with cutting a hole in the roof of a regualr hardtop car. However, if this is a place that the dealership has dealt with for 30-some years, I'd have no problems going in that direction.

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • We have decided only to order the car as I just don't trust another source putting in the sunroof..have a friend going through that nightmare right now with his Park Avenue..but the dealership will not gurantee the financing and I can't take the chance so we are not getting a Century. Thanks for your advice bdreggors.
  • I have owned a 1987 Century that has been in the family since new. It is one of the most reliable cars that I have ever seen. It presently has over 116,000 miles on it and is running strong. The car has survived 2 accidents and almost being stolen. I hope the new series of Buick Centurys are as reliable as mine has been.
  • Under 200 horsepower is a problem? I don't buy a car to race down the highway I buy a car to get me to work and back in confort,to take my family out safely and in the case of the Buick Century,in luxury I can afford.With proper maintenance most cars will give you good service and the Buick is no exception. Why compare this car to a Camry or any other car? If you want a Camry go buy one. They're good cars,but not for me. I also don't care if this car is attractive to the 20 somethings or not, I don't buy anything to impress anyone else but myself. When I come home after a long day I want to relax. I enjoy my Buick Century.
  • Hi Everyone!
    Just wanted to tell anyone who cares to read that we did afterall get the Century with the sunroof put in by an outside source. I talked a long time on the phone with these people and they made me feel comfortable about it and I get a lifetime gurantee so I guess I can't go wrong there. We picked our car up tonight and I must say I am very impressed with the way it looks and handles. I didn't even realize about the roadside offer which is great and I don't know if Buick does this or just the dealership we went to but we get lifetime oil changes for free and since we waited so long for them to find a car with our options we also got the added rebate that are now being offered...something to do with Golf..so that was a nice bonus to bring the price down. Anyways, I feel I got a fair deal and am very pleased with my car.

Rose
  • I have read a lot of posts here and elsewhere about people saying a certain car is better looking than another. This is a waste of space. Everyone decides for himself whether they like the styling. No two people have the same taste. If you think the Century looks nice then you should check out the options, price, and reliability; if you think it is ugly then check out something you like. Personaly, I think the Century is very attractive, much more so than the Japanese cars. I'll admit, I don't like the rear end (too much tail light, and I don't like that bump on the trunk lid). But, the front end is beautiful to me. I think it is inspired somewhat by the Jaguar XJ series. If, you disagree with me then buy a Camry (in my opinion, the "plain vanilla" of auto styling).
  • tomodell,
    Yeah, it does look a bit funny. It's done for aerodynamics though. The little 'lip' on the back helps improve airflow over the trunk. The oval Tauruses had little black ones on the back and the Stratus/Cirrus has a HUGE one on the back of it. Kinda circumvents the need for a spoiler.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    I really do like the exterior of the Century and Regal, especially in darker colors.

But it's the interior I'm disappointed in.

Maybe after being in a family with 4 Buicks its either that I'm tired of them, or my tastes just aren't that sort of thing. I like more contemporary interiors like those in Audi's, VW's, Fords, etc. I guess though, I won't criticize someone who does like Buick interiors. They seem to be okay.... for the target market.

I just think the exterior looks of the Regal and Century are very contemporary but the interior seems a little more old fashioned.

One of my favorite cars was my 1977 Century Coupe.
  • Bdreggors: You're right about the bump being similar to a spoiler, but I would argue whether either one has any real function. Spoilers, as far as I am concerned are simply an expression of style (like the big fins of the 50's). They are derived from race cars that used them for better traction. When the Century was redesigned in 1997, spoilers were at their height in popularity. Buick knew that most of their buyers were conservative enough not to want a spoiler, so it was never available. But, they made that little bump to give it a little spoiler appearance. Spoilers are now going out of popularity, so the next time they remodel the Buick, I will be willing to bet the bump will be gone.
    Regfootball: The interior of the Century is a bit old fashioned, but that's why I like it. I, love bench seats. I think they are comfortable and roomy. What makes bench seats so roomy is that it forces the manufacturer to put the gear shift on the column, where it belongs. This eliminates the console and makes for lots of room for oversize butts and feet. As far as I am concerned, all auto shifters belong on the column, stick shifts are the only ones that should be on the floor. If you like bucket seats and consoles, look at the Buick Regal. It is the same as a Century, but with the bucket seats and a larger engine.
  • Tomodell,
    You're probably right about the bump on the trunk disappearing.

Spoilers are the most vestigal of all aftermarket add-ons, though, and the one Buick offers are hillarious (IMHO). I remember seeing a faux T-Type LeSabre with T-Type badging and (ominous music) a spoiler! And I've seen them on Centurys and Regals, too. Speaking of Regals, I saw--get this--a Regal LS with whitewalls, wire wheels, a vinyl top, and a spoiler. I bet he could have gotten a Park Ave for that money!
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    I myself can't stand shifters on the steering column. It seems a completely unnatural place to put a shifter. But I respect your opinion and choice. That's what's nice about the USA.

And at least that's what nice about the Century and Regal. At least you have the choice as the buyer, whether you get the floor shifter or column shifter. Now if GM would let me have the choice to get a DOHC motor in the Regal, that would be nice, too.
  • Bdreggors: When I was a lot younger, I used to buy after market stuff, but I learned my lesson. I bought this really cool luggage rack that went on top of my trunk lid. After installing it I discovered that my trunk lid was so heavy it wouldn't stay open. Then, a month later the thing started rusting. I eventually took it off and had to have the trunk lid repainted. I have never seen any aftermarket goody that was made as well as original equipment. After market spoilers look ridiculous, but they make teenagers happy. But I can't imagine one on a Buick.
    Regfootball: Most people agree with you about the shifter on the floor. But, there are enough people like myself who like bench seats, that more manufacturers should make them available. When I bought my Ford Expedition, I wanted the bench seat, and it was an available option. When I went to look at one at a dealer, none of them had a model with the bench seats. One salesman even told me they didn't make them. I had to place a factory order to get my bench seat. Of course with a large vehicle like the Expedition there is actually room for three adults in the front. With the Century, it is just a matter of more room. (maybe you can squeeze a child in between two adults there).
  • Bdreggors: When I was a lot younger, I used to buy after market stuff, but I learned my lesson. I bought this really cool luggage rack that went on top of my trunk lid. After installing it I discovered that my trunk lid was so heavy it wouldn't stay open. Then, a month later the thing started rusting. I eventually took it off and had to have the trunk lid repainted. I have never seen any aftermarket goody that was made as well as original equipment. After market spoilers look ridiculous, but they make teenagers happy. But I can't imagine one on a Buick.
    Regfootball: Most people agree with you about the shifter on the floor. But, there are enough people like myself who like bench seats, that more manufacturers should make them available. When I bought my Ford Expedition, I wanted the bench seat, and it was an available option. When I went to look at one at a dealer, none of them had a model with the bench seats. One salesman even told me they didn't make them. I had to place a factory order to get my bench seat. Of course with a large vehicle like the Expedition there is actually room for three adults in the front. With the Century, it is just a matter of more room. (maybe you can squeeze a child in between two adults there).
  • lukeohlukeoh Posts: 1
    We recently purchased a used 1999 buick century. It has 20,000 miles on it. Before we purchased it I noticed an oil leak. The dealer said they would fix it since it was still under factory warranty. They replaced the intake gasket to remedy oil leak. When we got the car back the motor now idles real fast and then idles down and then back up and down repeatedly for about 10 to fifteen minutes before it runs normally. We took it back to the dealer and he said he thought it had run out of gas. It had a quarter of a tank but we filled it up with high test (92) octane anyway. It still does the rushing occasionally. Also it now has a noise that sounds like a rod hitting lightly on something in the motor until the motor gets warmed up. Also now the low tire light comes on and no matter how much air we put in the tires the light stays on. I have checked the pressure in each tire several times and it is equal.
    We are getting discouraged because we have had the car for 9 days and it has been in the shop for 6 of those 9 days and now we have to take it back. Is this normal behaviour for the century? Do we have any recourse to maybe have them take the car back? We love the car other than these few problems. Thanks
    Lukeoh