Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• Tomorrow me and the wife are going to the chrysler dealer to test drive and maybe buy a 2000 LHS. I dont really know alot about the car other than i like the looks. The dealer is offering me the base model with the full size spare for $27,185 it's pretty loaded for a base car. I am a Lincoln/Mercury technician and i do get advantages by buying our product as I can warrenty anything i want well past the "official" warrenty is over, but i dont really like anything we are putting out there. If anyone can help me with any info on this car if its the worst or the best would be greatly appreciated
  • What crash test results are you talking about??
    I find it difficult to believe that you would fire sale a car like this based on some government study given the reliability of government testing.
  • 8to58to5 Posts: 3
    A real nice value at around $1800 less than a 300m if you include the rebate that the 300M dose not have. 1500 miles on mine a fine car with no problems yet.
  • All LHS are loaded,it is a sharp looking car,and maybe a better value than the 300M
  • I just rented an lhs over the holiday weekend and had the same annoying vibration around 55-65 mph too, which detracted from the otherwise nice car. It didn't matter what the road surface was; I felt it smooth and coarse alike. I assumed it was a balance/alignment problem. I'm thinking of buying one now, but don't need a car with that annoying shimmy; anyone know if a tire change mentioned before will definitely solve the problem?
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Posts: 179
    Well, I've had my Y2K LHS since Oct. 1, which I calculate is about 16 weeks, and have about 5300 miles, but I've been away for three of those weeks, so I'm averaging roughly 400 miles per week. So far the car's been great. With one exception, I've experienced none of the complaints I've read about here and on the 300M topic, no shimmy, no steering pull, no shifting problems. Luxurious, responsive, peppy, handles well, everything works!! The one exception is wind noise. Since I'm deaf in one ear, I can't tell where it's coming from, but I think it's the left front (driver's) window. Haven't taken it back to the dealer yet (for the wind noise; I've had one oil change), so obviously I don't what will happen in that department. Of recent years I've driven a Continental, an STS and an Aurora, and the LHS is fully as good a car as any of them, at a much lower cost. Great value, IMHO. Since I'm leasing, I'm not much concerned about resale, and that could add to the relative cost compared to the other cars I've mentioned. Anyway, I'm a happy camper.
  • I just came from my local Chrysler dealer. I had previously driven a 2000 Dodge Intrepid and was looking to drive a 2000 Concorde. The 2000 LHS caught my eye and I drove one. It's a beautiful Champagne Pearl Metallic with Camel leather interior. It has the moonroof, chrome wheels, and the Infinity II Spatial Imaging Sound System with the 4 cd in-dash changer. I happened upon this Town Hall and now I am concerned about the vibration problems. I now recall a slight "rough spot" or "vibration" that reminded me of the time one of the steel belts broke in one of my tires on a former car. The tire was rendered slightly "out-of-round" and caused a barely perceptible but annoying vibration. Is this similar to the problem experienced by others? Has a tire replacement cured the problem? I need help fast because I have a below dealer invoice deal on hold and with that 0.9% financing I dn't want to blow the deal by being overly cautious. Any thoughts? Should I forget the LHS and go back to the Dodge dealer and take another look at the Intrepid? Any help would be appreciated. God bless!
  • Jason5Jason5 Posts: 440
    As a owner of a 2000 Intrepid (mine)possible owner of an LHS/300M (my wife's), I wouldn't encourage you to "throw the baby out with the bath water." In other topics this "shimmy issue" has seemed to become somewhat of an urban legend. That's not to say it doesn't happen--but when one topic member surveyed the group--it turned out that only 2 had experienced an actual problem.
    It seems to me that if you like the LHS you should either order one--or find one that has been built recently--and go with that. If there is a shimmy, it is clear that the problem lies with the tires. It is also clear that the dealers are aware of this and should help you address the issue. If you have concerns, please mention that to the sales manager going in and tell them you expect resolution if the problem appears on your car. If their response is unsatisfactory to you--then you might consider looking at the Intrepid..
    Best of luck..
  • I've had my 99 LHS for 19 months. I have not had any shimmy problems. Aside from the windows motor on the drivers side this has been a fine car. I also had the 94 LHS and with all the forum horror stories on that car you would think it was a mess. I loved that car. Sold it to a friend 19 months ago and we are still friends. He loves the car too. Had little trouble with it. I think proper maintenance and reasonable care has more to do with the quality of service you get from you car than most anything else.

Having said that the 99 LHS is a hugh improvement over the 94 LHS. All the features I wished were on the 94 are on the 99. For the dollar spent this is still a great buy.
  • I might point out that since some people don't experience the shimmy, they don't really understand how annoying it is to have a near-$30k car with that distracting vibration... otherwise I love the car. I also rented mine from Dollar with the idea of a prolonged test drive; while it's not Lexus quiet it is quiet enough for me. I'll rent another over the next holiday weekend and see if they are the Goodyears, and I'll go with the suggestion of mentioning it to the dealer when I test theirs. I seriously doubt vibration is such a rare occurance that I just got so lucky I received a magic vibrator. But does anyone know for sure if that the tires are the problem and the solution? Thanks for any help.
  • Thanks for the recent answer to my Edmund's Town Hall questions regarding my impending auto purchase. I'm still undecided as to whether to go with the LHS or the Intrepid. After years of loyalty to Ford products, I went to check out Dodge/Chrysler because of the 0.9% financing. I bought my wife a Grand Caravan two weeks ago and she loves it. Thanks also for shedding some light on the vibration issue. I test drove the LHS again tonight and there was no shimmy or vibration at any speed. I did ask the salesman and the service manager about the shimmy problem and they say they haven't had any customer complaints about any shimmy or vibration on the LHS. Perhaps it is an urban legend. Thanks for the info. God bless all of you and may your vehicle purchases be safe and satisfying!
  • One must keep in mind that in order to make a sale, the truth on frequency of complaints just might be understated by some uncaring dealers... they may not own up to a problem until a recall is forced on them, for example. I can't speak for anyone else, but my complaint was firsthand quite real - I could see my hand vibrate on the wheel. I hope it's a simple fix... the car is appealing. I expect to rent again as I enjoyed the car that much in spite of that blemish.
  • My 1999 LHS (produced in March 1999) was equipped with Goodyear tires. Vibration started at about 50 mph and continued to higher speeds making the car was very irritating to drive. The dealer informed me that the tires were out of tolerance and could not be balanced; they were exchanged for another set of Goodyear tires - no vibration so far. Too bad the buyer is not offered a choice of tires - I would have opted for the Michelins.
    NO1TRUST--So are you saying that you own an LHS/300M or that you've rented several? That clarification would help...

What I said was this...I have only heard "shimmy" stories from one or two consistent sources--one who seemed genuine and one whose story I consider dubious. When the 300M/LHS listserv that I belong to brought up the issue in the form of a survey--the clear majority had NO problems. Those that reported a shimmy were low--2 or so as I recall.. Tire changes and a fairly involved balancing seemed to correct the issue.
  • I rented... I am considering the purchase or maybe lease because other than the vibration issue I found the car fun to drive. I just assumed at the time there was a balance problem... then I see other posts at Edmunds' upon checking out others' experiences that also complained of vibration. I don't intend to buy first only to find it's one of those phantom problems the dealer can't ever seem to correct. After reading other posts on DC's customer service I intend to use caution before I commit. DC's past reliability and customer satisfaction are not a strong selling point to me. Hopefully the problem is centered on the Goodyears; I like the looks inside and out of the LHS. Not Lexus quiet, but quiet enough for me, and other than that darn vibration the ride was enjoyable. I'll rent again, test drive at the dealer, and see what can be done if necessary and possible about the tires. Thanks all for the info.
  • After much deliberation and perusing the various posts, I've decided to get the Intrepid instead of the LHS. Both cars have cutting edge styling. The interior layouts and specs are similar. The LHS ride is nicer but I don't consider it worth the extra $7K over the price of the Intrepid. The local Dodge dealer tells me I can order the RT and have it delivered in 4-8 weeks. Some are due to arrive at the dealership soon. I'll take one of these first ones if the color is right. The RT will have 242 horses and that's close enought to the LHS' 253 horses. I won't need the extra 11 horses unless I pay a weekend visit to the dragstrip (which won't happen; at least not since I am older now). Anyway, my brother-in-law owns a drag-race-ready Hemi Barracuda, which I can borrow if I want my head snapped back severely. The thing that finally sold me on the Intrepid is it's sportier styling compared to the LHS. I recently visited the North American Auto Show via an Edmund's link and I saw the Dodge NASCAR press conference where they unveiled the NASCAR Intrepid that Dodge will signal Dodge's return to NASCAR racing in the 2001 Daytona 500. I can hardly believe that I am so excited about owning this car, my first Dodge. My family members have been diehard Ford fans since the 1940s, but Dodge's styling, performance, economy (great EPA mileage estimates for such a roomy car), reliability improvements, and incredible financing incentives signal that it's time for me to break out of the family Ford mold. Thanks to you and the rest of the commenters for the valuable and timely information and suggestions. I learned a great deal from the posts here and the referrals to other sources of vehicle information. I'll maintain my new Intrepid promptly and properly and I have prayed for a good ownership experience (which God has the power to deliver under any circumstances). Thanks again and God bless you.
    Congratulations.. Seems to me it's always a relief when the searching ends and a decision is reached. I do hope you'll share your final choice with us--if you order the R/T, color, etc..
    I must confess that while I appreciated and could afford the 300M/LHS; I found it difficult to justify (FOR ME) the price differential. My wife is particularly interested in an LHS--and we'll likely select a late 2000 or early 2001 for her.
    Again, best wishes and kept us appraised..
  • I FINALLY ROLLED OVER AND BOUGHT THE LHS I HAVE BEEN DEALING ON FOR SEVERAL MONTHS. SELECTED IT OVER THE BUICK LESABRE AND PARK AVENUE ON THE BASIS OF STYLING COLOR AND PRICE. MY WIFE AND I THOUGHT BUICK REALLY DIDN'T HAVE A COLOR THAT CAME CLOSE TO THE BEAUTY OF THE CHAMPAGNE PEARLMIST. TRADED IN OUR 95 LHS THAT WAS ALSO A GOOD CAR WITH VERY FEW PROBLEMS. THE NEW ONE HAS A SUN ROOF, 4CD SOUND SYSTEM, CHROME WHEELS, GOODYEAR TIRES, ETC. I'VE HAD IT ABOUT A WEEK AND NO SHIMMY, VIBRATION, OR ANY OTHER PROBLEMS. WIND NOISE IS IMPROVED FROM 95 LHS AS IS ROAD NOISE. NOT AS QUIET AS A PARK AVENUE BUT WHEN THE SUN ROOF IS CRACKED OR OPEN WHO CAN TELL?? SUGGEST DRIVING THE CAR BEFORE BUYING AND IF THE WIND NOISE OR WHEEL VIBRATION IS NOTICEABLE, MOVE ON TO A DIFFERENT VEHICLE OR DEALERSHIP WHICHEVER IS NECESSARY TO DRIVE THE CAR YOU LIKE. I SHOULD ADD THAT THE VEHICLE I BOUGHT WAS A DEMO DRIVEN BY THE OWNER'S WIFE. HAD 3400 MILES ON IT SO I WAS ABLE TO DEAL OVER SEVERAL MONTHS ON THE CAR.
  • Goodyear KNOWS and ACCEPTS,those eagle LS tires are bad,ANY tire would better than those nasty badyears!!
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    I have been Looking at LHS, Bonneville, Aurora, Impala, and even Tahoe. The DC dealer in my area is very motivated to move a few LHS's. For some reason, they don't sell well in my area. Anyway, here is the deal I can get if I so desire:

LHS with Chrome Wheels and Stereo upgrades - MSRP $29,800 Invoice $27,800 They are offering it at $27,600 (200 under invoice) with a lease payment of about $410 for 36 months.

How does this sound compared to what others have experienced? Thanks