Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• tvdolltvdoll Posts: 1
    We have nothing but Dodge and Chrysler products. In November one of our trucks was totalled (no one injured!) and my husband and I replaced it with a 1999 LHS. We did all the research and were very pleased with our purchase for the first week. I have had a STRIPPED tie rod, 2 window motors go out, 2 burned out window switches, paint loss on the rearview mirrors, the interior and dash lights flicker on and off with the headlights on (has been in twice for this..going in a 3rd time this week). And just this weekend, the dash has cracked open over the compartment for the passenger side airbag. Not to mention, the steering is deplorable at highway speeds, even after the steering problem was fixed. A third window is now going bad...making the same noises as the first two, and the inside window trim has fallen off. As have the light covers on the doors. I'm getting the current problems fixed and getting rid of the car. I will NOT buy another LHS...even though they are gorgeous to look at.
  • After owning my trouble free 2000 LHS since last December it's hard to imagine such a horror story about a new LHS. Was the '99 new? Wrecked?

This sounds more like a Ford Explorer than an LHS.
  • marshmallowmarshmallow Posts: 17
    I took you up on your invitation to visit a Ford Explorer web site to read the complaints. You are correct. There are many. I offer no defense for those complaints but I will say that we are comparing apples to oranges. I somewhat expect my Explorer to ride like a truck. We bought it used and looked for a specific year and options. Finally found one that certainly has not been trouble free but for a 5 year old vehicle, we didn't expect perfection either. We got exactly what we paid for.

However, none of that diminishes the complaints I am reading about the LHS. We have all bought this vehicle either used or new fully expecting it to be what Chrysler says it is - the flagship of their fleet. We expected luxury and got a HINT of that. Road noise is horrible in the early models and hasn't improved ANY as the years have gone on. We expected dependability for our $25,000+ (depending on where and when you bought). Dependability should not be an option you have to pay extra for but it seems to be the case now for the majority of postings on this site.

I bought an Explorer to be a utility vehicle. I didn't buy my LHS to be a fishing car. Nor did I buy my LHS to become my coffin as could have happened when my steering went out, had it not been for the grace of God that I was coming out of a gas station instead of going 65 mph.

If your LHS works for you, that's wonderful. I'm sure there are many out there who, like you, are very happy with their vehicle. However, that does not nor should not diminish the headaches, worries, and expenses that others of us are having with our "luxury" vehicle.
  • Something must be different in these vehicles! I believe all the 1999 - 2000 LHSs are built in the same facility. Possibly, like some other vehicles, you should not buy a car that was built on Monday (the workers are recovering from hang-overs) and you shouldn't buy one on Friday (the workers are looking forward to their hang-overs and don't have there minds on what they are doing).

It shouldn't matter where or when your LHS was built, there should be a quality control department that would not let a substandard vehicle leave the plant, especially since the Germans took control.

Am I just lucky, so far, and should I expect to have my LHS to turn turn crap in the near future.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    oberfieldwebel-

You're right- ALL the LH cars are built in the same plant, on the same line, by the same people, with the same parts! This is WHY I am confused when Consumer Reports recommends one LH car and not the others?? Makes NO sense to me at all.

As for buying a car built on a Monday or a Friday, there MAY be some truth to that, but it doesn't help explain to me WHY I've had so many problems with my 99 300M that was built on a Wednesday- April 29, 1998.

fastdriver
    Take a look! Someone is listening!!

http://www.autoextremist.com/

fastdriver
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,606
    I own a '99 300M. I've had it for 11 months, 10,500 miles. Only problem has been one window motor replacement (under warranty).
    I have really enjoyed this car and have been impressed with its reliability, especially since it was a first model year CHRYSLER!!! The build quality is good, but not on par with the Audi/Lexus/Saab/Acura I also shopped. Other than the Acura, other models were significantly (to me) more expensive, the Chrylser is a good value. NOthing has fallen off or chipped, even after getting a parking lot dent, no paint has chipped/peeled.
    So, yes, there are satisfied (to this point) Chrysler LH owners out there....

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• norbertenorberte Posts: 6
    The idle speed should be around 750rpm. Amazing you had 2 waterpumps replaced at that mileage. Ah, if they messed up the timing on the timing belt when installing the water pump, it certainly will affect idle big time, a couple of teeth off is all it takes. There is no error code with this problem for the computer to record.

Vacuum leaks and dirty throttle body housing can also cause rough idle.

I had a 95 New Yorker and I loved that car, I did not have all these problems other people experienced. I did have a waterpump replaced at 60K miles over a year ago. I traded it at 80K miles for a 2000 LHS about 6 weeks ago. It is doing fine so far... keeping my fingers crossed.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Posts: 1,116
    no problems to report. Car rides fine, looks great, paid only 28600 fully loaded (not including any taxes etc.) and got .9% financing to boot. I feel i got a great deal on a car that has all the options you could ask for and handles great. Didnt buy warranty and wont unless I read about more major problems with the 2000 or 99 models. guess I'm a gambling man. I'll just invest it wisely and that should cover any repairs after the 3 year warranty runs out.

Only complaint I have is the moderate amount of road noise especially at high speeds.

ONe other small complaint is the just middling sound of the stereo. I have upgrade 4 disc stereo with 360 watts. I find mid and high notes to be somewhat tinny and muddled. Also I find I have to balance the fader control almost all the way to the rear speakers to get proper sound balance. Does anyone else have these complaints.. Please post your evaluation of sound system and fader adjustments and also your opinion of road noise .
  • I find the road noise in my 2000 LHS to be noticeable at all speeds, but not unacceptable, I just turn the stereo up. Tires have almost everything to do with road noise. My LHS is unfortunately equipped with GoodYear tires and I believe that they are responsible for the noise. I don't know if I can wait for the Good Years to wear out before I replace them.
  • acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    I am a 2000 LHS owner.... First let me say that I also have adjusted the fader toward the rear. When set at the normal,center, spot the sound seems to come from the windshield area. As for the sound itself,I find this system to be outstanding. The low high and midrange all rival the sound of my home system which is quite sophisticated. Could it be you have to adjust the equalizer? Or could it be that your speakers themselves need to be checked? It is very possible that all is O.K.and this system is just not to your liking. Sound is a very personal thing. What sounds wonderful to one person may sound poor to someone else. Good luck... and I hope adjusting the equalizer may help you to enjoy the system more.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Posts: 1,116
    I may be a bit fussy on sound system. I did fine tune the equalizer for best sound and find that I Had to put base control just below midlevel, the midrnge is adjusted almost to the bottom, and highs are just under midlevel. I think my speakers are ok as sound is the same no matter which set of speakers I listen to. Guess I just have to get used to it. I probably would have liked the Bose system better.

Otherwise, except for road noise which I am getting used to , I love my 300M. The best value for the money out there. Just hope they have finally made their product more reliable. So far, so good. No defects after 2000 miles.
    As I said in my last post...music is in the ears of the beholder. I have my bass set at just under the highest setting, the midrange is set a tick above center, and the high setting is all the way to the top. I love to hear the bass and I love to hear the cymbals etc., without the loud volume.Have you tried this setting or anything near it? I agree,great value for the money and I am really enjoying this car.
  • tomjobetomjobe Posts: 6
    Having bought 14 new GM cars over the years, I have promised myself never to buy another GM product. When the first lhs came out I had a hard time going to a Chrysler because I had never owned one and their history. However I liked the looks and the features, not as big as a Cadillac or Lincoln but still plenty of room. My 94 served me well, the only problem being the AC controls. The 99 has 12,000 miles on it and has never been back to the dealer but will go back for the seat belt recall. I have friends with very expensive cars (mercedes s500, etc) that are impressed when ridding in my lhs and they have problems too. Hopefully my lhs will continue as it has started. I do not expect a trouble free car but I like what I have had the last 5 years. tomj
  • dhgiiidhgiii Posts: 5
    Most of us hear the road a little too much. Those that have 300M's with the performance package seem to hear it even worse than we LHS owners.

My '94 produced a lot of road noise. It was a little quieter once I replaced the Goodyears. My 2000 is much quieter, even with the factory Goodyears. But it's still not quite there yet. Chrysler's aware of the problem because they did some re-design of the rear suspension. The 2000 interior noise is 4db less than the 99's.

But.... it's still there, especially on certain surfaces, like concrete.

So. What tires should we be putting on these cars to help eliminate the problem, people? And... let's hope Chrysler's listening, too!
  • carnutpacarnutpa Posts: 42
    I have 4000 miles on my 2000 LHS and I'm very disappointed in the noise level. In my car, I don't see it as a "road noise / tire noise" problem. It's a "wind noise" problem. I keep checking to see if I have a window open a bit because it sounds like air is getting in somewhere...mostly on the drivers side front pillar. Can this be corrected? Don't you hear it?
  • dhgiiidhgiii Posts: 5
    I don't have any wind noise. Check the alignment of your doors, hood, trim, etc. Something just a little out might grap some air. Compare the door gasketing on both sides of the car, too. If the driver side doesn't mirror the passenger side, you might have found the problem.
  • jimbofryjimbofry Posts: 1
    I own a 1996 Chrysler LHS and have had many problems with the steering mechanism. The tie rods have been replaced twice, and the rack and pinion once. The car has 72,000 miles. I wrote four letters to Chrysler after learning that Chrysler developed technical bulletins reflecting the problems encountered. I was refused any assistance, including an evaluation request by any Chrysler dealership regarding the safety of the vehicle.

Another problem is the ongoing odor from the A/C system, which was also a technical bulletin issue from Chrysler.

This Chrysler is the first and last I will ever own.
  • starfire2starfire2 Posts: 9
    Didn't Chrysler at one point have a 7year/70,000 mile factory powertrain warranty back in the 1980's? I guess those days are long gone...
  • anthony56anthony56 Posts: 6
    My original post was number 388 regarding the rumbling noise. After 10 days spent surfing the net, trouble shooting, writing letters and talking to regular people, I determined that the noise was a power steering pump going bad. I am not sure why the dealer could not diagnose the problem. Anyway, it is currently in the shop getting a new power steering pump and a water pump for good measure under the power train warranty. I am also having a new timing belt installed for peace of mind. We are going to be leaving soon on a road trip and if I had to drive my 1987 Crown Victoria (without AC) on vacation, this would have been my last Chrysler. The really sad part of the story is I trust my old V8 Ford with 132,000 miles more than the 1996 LHS with 53,000 miles.
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Posts: 179
    Wind noise at above 65 mph is about the only complaint I have about my Y2K LHS. My dealer reported "couldn't hear it." I guess the car is so noisy, they considered it "normal."
  • jyanuljyanul Posts: 9
    I haven't been reviewing this section for awhile
    until today and saw some opioions on the 2000
    LHS STEREO SYSTEM. I basically saw TWO extremes:
    One person who thought is was poor & another who
    thought it was excellent. I know this is a very
    personal subject based on what someones ears hear
    and possibly what they are used to hearing (equipment quality). I've owned quite a bit of new
    cars and have ALWAYS purchased the "upgraded"
    STEREO....I have NEVER, EVER had a good sounding
    factory stereo system...NEVER. They ALWAYS sound
    cheap, "tinny"..lack depth. And you pay a fortune
    for them...a definite "cash cow" for the mfg. I
    did order the 360 watt upgrade thinking that FINALLY the $300.00 (whatever it was) upgrade
    would be worth it but like usual...no way!! I cannot even imagine what the base system sounds like. These CHRYSLER Infinity and GM DELCO products are
    terrible...they should contract out with BOSE, etc...maybe that will help....but knowing mfg's,
    they will have whatever company special make an
    inferior product BUT still charge full price.
    SORRY....this system is very, very poor sound quality. What you can buy aftermarket (ex: Crutchfield, etc) is FAR superior..FAR. The problem..as ALL is aware of is monkeying around removing factory components....nothing ever goes
    back in the same..so, we're stuck. The one thing
    (in my experience) you can do is to simply replace some of the speakers (trunk the easiest).
    The manufacturers speakers are DEFINITELY the biggest "WEAK LINK" in the system...they are beyond "cheap".
  • hijinxhijinx Posts: 7
    Yeah, I'll agree with you on that. The stereo is, on the majority of cars, the weakest link. Aftermarket is the way to go, for certain, if you're not throwing thousands of dollars into a "super premium" sound system.

Paul
    Why didn't you try it before you bought it? Nearly every floor model I saw had the stereo upgrade. No reason you should pay extra for something you think is inferior. I also have owned more than my share of new cars. I never paid extra for a music system, and most of the time I felt the systems were o.k. at best, This time I went for the extra expense. This time I finally have what I think is a very very good auto stereo system. I am sure you can get better in an after market system. You probably will pay more also. Bottom line... rate this system against other factory installed system and it rates right up there with the best of them in the same price range. All of this still depends on the ear of the person listening. To call this system "cheap" and "tinny" is a little far fetched. No disrespect intended.
  • carnutpacarnutpa Posts: 42
    I just read a possible solution on the 300M board. Check topic #3440 and message #450. May be something. I checked my car and there is an opening there.
  • jyanuljyanul Posts: 9
    Sorry...disagree...but thats ok. I'll stick to my
    ears & perception of quality. I guarantee you
    (can NEVER prove of course) that these FACTORY
    stereo's are not only CHEAP in sound quality but CHEAP in price. I've had cases where I had problems with a stereo...under warrranty...took it
    back and they simply put in a new one...not bothering to repair. I also agree with the last
    few POSTs on ROAD NOISE. This car does have alot
    of road noise. Now someone can argue AGAIN that how good your ears are on this BUT this car has
    TIRE NOISE and WIND NOISE.....in my book for a
    car of this susposed calipher and the PURE FACT that this is CHRYSLER's FLAGSHIP auto....there should be hardly none! Not being an auto engineer
    I hope someone out there with this type of knowledge can explain this WHOLE CONCEPT of auto
    interior noise. What does it take to COMPLETELY
    isolate niose from the inside cabin??? Thicker
    metal, more insulation, what? How can it possibly
    cost that much more (hell, I'd pay a grand or more
    for a SILENT interior)! I've noticed that a few
    of the Japanese imports (not really that much more
    in price) are substantially more quiet? Why?
  • audioman1audioman1 Posts: 1
    Sorry to tell you folks this, but most premium radio systems for OEM (not GM)are made by the major players of the after market. Bose doesn't make a radio for automotive, just speakers and amplifiers. Ford uses Pioneer, Lexus uses Pioneer, Porsche uses Blapunkt, Acura uses Pioneer, Alpine, Panasonic, but for some strange reason, Chrysler decided to use Mitsubishi Electronics. Most people are saying, What? Mitsubishi? yeah, major screw up for Chrysler. If you want to upgrade your LHS radio, go with the Pioneer PF4400, and a Crutchfield mounting kit. It will allow you to use the existing wiring by use of a special connector. Upgrade your speakers and enjoy. The sound will make you think your at a concert. I just thought I'd let you know since this page has helped me decide not to buy a LHS. Good luck!
  • mmanson2mmanson2 Posts: 4
    My dad owns a 1999 Chrysler LHS and the windows
    started sticking and the drivers power window motor burned out.
    I have found out from the dealer that the window tracks and the rubber at the top of the windows need cleaning and lubrication.
    The dealer said silicone for lubrication.
    The damp moisture gets in the tracks and the
    rubber causing the windows to stick like glue
    in the heat of a hot day.
    Note! This car has never been in a garage, it is in the weather all the time and this might
    make a difference to other people.
    I talked to several Chrysler dealers and they
    have been replacing power window motors a lot lately because of this problem.
    To all that read this, take a little time for
    cleaning and maintenance it helps in the long run.
    mmanson2-

There is a TSB out on this that the dealer can find if he bothers to look in his computer. It was probably issued in late 98 or early 99.

fastdriver