Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• Where does the time value in the timestamp on these postings come from? My previous posting was entered at 3:54 PM EST. That would be 19:54 GMT. Is the time value taken from a clock on PST??
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    billgolfer09-

The time posted on the messages here is PST. This message will post as 2:48 PM, but it's 5:48 PM in CT.

fastdriver
  • daffindaffin Posts: 30
    I purchased my 1999 LHS on Halloween of last year, and I have been mostly satisfied with the car. Here is a list of pros and cons that reflect my opinions about my car:

Pros:

-The car has run perfectly since the day I picked it up.

-The LHS has more than enough power to help me cope with Jacksonville traffic.

-The V6 is exceptionally fuel-efficient on long trips, giving me up to 26 MPG.

-The interior is roomy, even in the back seat.

-The trunk is huge!

-The air conditioner is powerful.

-The seats are comfortable on long trips.

Cons:

-The rear pillars restrict my rear visibility.

-The paint doesn't hold up as well as I would like.

-The black molding on the driver's side front door doesn't completely line up with the molding on the rear door.

-There is no room to work under the hood (probably true with all LH platform cars).
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Posts: 179
    Ten months and 15K miles on a Y2K LHS--and not a problem to complain about. Very satisfied with the car, which I think is among the best values of any "luxury" car on the road today. My last cars were a Continental, STS and Aurora, in that order, all of which I liked, but the LHS is the equal of any of them, and about 2/3 the cost of the Lincoln and Caddy, and $5K less than a current Aurora. Huge trunk, especially compared to Aurora and STS. And I liked paying for regular gas during the recent price gouging in the midwest, with Premium up to more than $2.50 a gallon! My only complaint has been a higher wind noise level than I like at above 70 mph. Otherwise, a fine car.
  • mcgreenxmcgreenx Posts: 179
    I haven't kept track of what's happening with the LHS/300M for 2001, been too busy with my Sony TiVo, but I'd like to know: What changes have been made on the 2001 models?

BTW, last week I was given a 300M Y2K loaner to drive for a day. Couldn't hardly tell the difference from the LHS, except for the AutoStick, which confirmed that I was right (for me) that I have no need for the AutoStick. It also confirmed that the 300M trunk opening is even smaller and less convenient than my previous Aurora. To each his/her own, but I'm glad I chose LHS.
  • StrategoStratego Posts: 29
    Copied from:
    www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b072000.htm

'01 Chrysler 300M

"For the new model year Chrysler will introduce several new features for their flagship sedan. The most noticeable change will be the addition of two new colors, Deep Sapphire Blue Pearl Coat and Black.

There are also several changes to the vehicle's appearance, including a new front fascia, grille and headlamps. They've also redesigned the tail-lamps and added clear lenses. Seventeen inch painted aluminum "Twin 6-spoke" wheels will be standard.

On the inside, a new chrome insert has been added to the shift knob and a Chrysler winged logo is molded into the steering wheel (the horn pad also now meets extended interior head-impact protection that is required for 2003). A second power outlet located in center console is now standard equipment as are steering wheel mounted audio controls. In the back, the center seat now has a 3-point belt. They've also added a fold-out cup holder and storage area to the rear armrest. There's also a new interior color called "Sandstone."

The biggest news is the introduction of a new optional luxury group. It features: real California walnut trim, a wood trimmed steering wheel, automatic outside mirror adjustment when the vehicle is shifted into reverse (the mirrors tilt down to let you see the curb). There's also an electronic vehicle information center, a programmable overhead trip computer, and power exterior mirrors that are heated, have a memory and fold automatically."

Three addenda to this information:

- to eliminate possible assembly line complications, the above-mentioned walnut trim will be standard on all 300Ms and not just those ordered with the luxury package

- exhaust pipes recieve chrome tips

- an emergency trunk release will become standard equipment on the 300M, as it will on all '01 LH sedans

I haven't heard any precise information, but I would assume that some or all of the above 300M changes would also apply to the LHS.
  • autocarautocar Posts: 4
    In response to djv59, #481
    I have been having similar noise on my '99 LHS, with about 15,000 miles on it.
    We enjoyed the car immensely on a 2400 mile trip, but my son-in-law noticed the noise when he
    went for a ride. At times it went away, and then
    got louder, so I went to my dealer, where a mechanic took it for a test drive and diagnosed a problem with the steering gear rack.
    This was several weeks ago, and we're still waiting for DC to deliver the part.
    Lastest word is "late this week."
    I'll keep you posted what happens.
    If anyone else has had this repair, I'd sure
    appreciate your input.
  • Hey Guys,
    I'm considering buying a used '94 New Yorker and I want to know a few things. Was '94 the first year for the LHS designation? How do these cars handle at over 100K? I talked to the owner aboout the common problems (noise over bumps, engine shutting down, etc...). He assures me that he's already fixed it himself. Are there any other common major problems with this car? I already checked the title history and everything seems fine. If anyone wants to give me some advice, please post. Thanks.
  • robnjrobnj Posts: 11
    Take the VIN down to a dealer's service department that is willing to run the number and see the service history. This will tell you what ANY dealer has done to it over the car's history.
    Make sure that all the recalls have been performed. The latest is the one dealing with the lower control arms. My brother had this done to his '94 LH and it stiffened up the front end. Feels a lot better on rough roads. The most important is the fuel rail o-ring recall.
    The other common problem is with the auto-temp control. They sometimes go crazy and randomly blow cold or hot. My bro had about 3 changed out before it was fixed.
    And yes, '94 was the first generation of the LH & LHS platform.
    What is the asking price?
  • StrategoStratego Posts: 29
    The LH sedans were first offered as '93 models. The CC large sedan offerings for '93 were the older Dodge Dynasty, Chrysler Imperial, Chrysler Fifth Avenue, Chrysler New Yorker in addition to the newer Chrysler Concorde, Chrysler New Yorker, Chrysler LHS and Dodge Intrepid.
    Ah, that is right. The LH (Concorde) was '93 and the LHS platform (including NY'er) was '94. At least I got it 50% right.
  • I recently returned from a trip to Cape Cod in my LHS. Averaged 28 mpg and had a great trip. Plenty of room for 4 adults and luggage and ride was super. Only problem with car since Jan 00 purchase was the first station of the CD player skipped. Dealer changed it and no problem. Traded in a 95 LHS with 51K miles that was also a great car.
  • Just celebrated 1yr. old b-day of my '99 LHS with a trip to 5 star dealer to fix the illumination of interior lights problem. Sometimes its just the overhead lights, other times its the door lights too. It has occurred several times a day, once a day or not for a couple of days. During the day its not as bothersome as during night driving but it shouldn't exist at all. I did read several TSB's from the NHTSA website noting this particular problem. The service dept. replaced a switch or contact in my door which was suppose to take care of it. Anyway, after having my car out of service for a week, I picked up my car only to have the same problem 4 days later. What gives? Anyone got the goods on this one? TN
    My buddy works at a dealer and he mentioned this problem on Durangos. I think it turned out to be a slightly cracked wire in the door harness. I will ask him about the LHSs.
  • Thanks for the info on the possible cracked wire in the door harness from Durango experience. Any other ideas on what's making my 99LHS go hay wire? (post 505)
  • It was post #506.
  • My '99 LHS has developed a sporatic problem. The transmission will not engage in any gear for about 30 seconds, after vehicle has been parked overnight. The happens about once every 2 weeks. Of course, this never occurs when at the dealer's. Any one else experienced this situation?
  • All these reliability issues can be said about DC, but this is outrageous, but of course they weren't DC car's, the were Chevy's.

Check it out:
    http://www.execpc.com/~thor101/impala/
  • I put a post re Chrysler LHS vs Cadillac you might want to read. The LHS is a niche sort of near-luxury car, I think. Not really luxury, but seems very reliable, a little rough around the edges. John Ellis
  • autocarautocar Posts: 4
    As a follow-up to Note #500, I finally got action on replacing the steering rack on my '99 LHS, after contacting Customer Service. The wrong
    version was sent first, but the next day (8/11)
    the correct rack was air freighted to my dealer
    and installed. Feel of the road seems firmer, and
    I no longer hear knocking sounds.
    However, there still is suspension noise at low
    speeds, so I am going to ask the dealer to check
    out a TSB which another LHS owner found was a fix.
    We drove about 1,000 miles last week and got close to 28 mpg, with a very comfortable ride.