Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• Thanks for the info. Didn't sound like anything too bad, but since I'm a first time Chrysler driver, I'll probably have some questions about this big, bad sedan I'm now driving!
  • valhsvalhs Posts: 63
    Don't jump on me too bad but I just had to laugh when I read this post from pcr42.

I love my car, blah, blah, blah.....
    So much room, blah, blah, blah......
    Everyone loves my car, blah, blah, blah.....
    Even relatives with Acuras love my car, blah, blah....

I'm thinking, oh great another Chrysler employee pretending to be an actual owner with some contrived story about how pleased he is with his new Chrysler and then this.....

By the way, what's this buzzing sound?

You gotta admit, this is funny stuff!
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    valhs-

LOL... I was thinking the EXACT same thing. Thought, wow, that didn't take long. Oh well- let's see how long Drive=Love lasts!

fastdriver

PS Never heard that "buzzing" on Christine in 33 months. Guess I was "lucky"!
  • BOB-"PS Never heard that "buzzing" on Christine in 33 months. Guess I was "lucky"!
    Don't worry Bob your car had that buzzing .Every LH car makes that sound ,you just didn't hear it . The trans in new cars today are electronic controlled and the shifting is not done by pump and line pressure any more ,its done with solenoids . So every time the trans shifts you hear the solenoid at work and it makes that buzz or ratcheting sound. Most often the sound is heard when shifting into reverse or drive from a stop . If you didn't hear this noise you would have a problem (your trans wouldn't shift)
  • 'valhs' and 'fastdriver' sure sound cynical....

I have driven Audis all my life, with the exception of my latest car, which was a 1994 Saab 9000 Aero (what a car THAT was!!).

I'm 39, I have a 7 month-old, and my wife and I wanted to find a car that had some panache, comfort, performance, and interior room. By the way, I'm 6'7".

In the LHS, I can put my seat all the way back, and it doesn't interfere with the rear-facing car seat. With the tilt steering, my legs don't even touch the steering wheel. That's a first for me.
    While the LHS is no Saab Aero (a real rocket), it has plenty of power. The first time I drove the Chrysler, I was pleasantly surprised at how well it handled...very little roll, nice firm road manners, but not super-taut like the Saab on z-rated tires.

I paid less than $18,000 for a certified car with a bit of factory warranty left, and when I took a client to dinner last night, he remarked that "business must be very good!!". Little did he know that I got the car for relatively peanuts.

For the record, I even surprised MYSELF when I bought a Chrysler. But after finding the LHS to do everything I needed a car to do, I'm very happy. By the way, I had the dealer run a service history, and there was one small repair made under warranty about 18 months ago. I also spoke to the former owner who turned it in off lease, and he said he loved the car. He now drives a 2002 Concorde Ltd.

Any make, right up to Mercedes, can have lemons. One of my Audis was a nightmare back in the early '80's. But they are typically the exception and not the rule. Sorry you had lemons valhs and fastdriver. I'm driving a gem, and I have no reason to believe that it won't stay that way. Don't pee on my parade, OK?

Final thought. I have three clients who drive '99 LHS's. One has had some issues, but still loves her car. The other two say their cars have been flawless. That also had something to do with my decision. Sorry to be long-winded, but those skeptical posts had to be answered.
  • fritofrito Posts: 70
    My 'lowly' 99 Concorde LXi also has the shrinking weatherstripping around doors and headlight units. Some weekend I'll spend about 15 min and some glue putting them back in place. Otherwise, the car has been flawless. Oh yeah, and I even get the solenoid buzzzzz plus a little tic sound when it downshifts and I happen to have the window down and there is something nearby for the sound to echo off of.
    ottowrkr-

LOL... I've been wondering why I never heard that transmission buzz. I guess it was because my radio was usually turned up and the only buzz I heard was from the driver's door.

pcr42-

Don't worry. You don't need me to 'pee on your parade". That will happen all by itself.

fastdriver
  • njeraldnjerald Posts: 688
    I have had my LHS for 2 1/2 years and have 34,000 miles on it.
    I have not had any window problems, shrinking weatherstripping, noises, seat movement, clunking, etc. It gets 20 mpg around town and 27-28 actual mpg on my last 3,000 mile trip where I ran at 75-80 mph continously. My actual mpg is about 0.8 more than indicated by the display.
    My only complaint is the noise from the OEM tires. They have about 10,000 miles left on them but I will probably replace with Yoko YK420's in a few months.
    Looking for an additional vehicle now. Maybe a new Altima, Maxima, or G35. Would look at another Chrysler after they update the 300M.
  • Today while leaving from work to go to lunch I decided to check out this tranmission buzz thing. I started the car, tuned off the a/c and stereo, opened the door wide open and hung my head out toward the door sill, with foot on brake I shifted into reverse and then into drive. Why yes...I could hear a muted buzzing sound!

I'm glad I don't have to go through all that very often to hear this buzzing....LOL!
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    I always wondered what that was!
  • Well, I've had the Yoko's Avid T4's for about a week now. Surely not enough time to judge all the characteristics of the tires, but after driving on them for about 300 miles, here's what I've noticed: They are definetely quieter and smoother than the Goodyears, where I found myself driving faster than usual (in town), because of the lack of noise and vibration, I guess. They also seemed to handle wet roads really well (I'm hoping they are good in the snow, the reason I picked these tires).
    Same thing on the highway, you can't tell what speed you are going because it's a much calmer ride, very nice. BUT, don't try to sway right or left at high speeds, these tires are quite soft and don't handle quick turns very well, I was dissapointed at the way the rear of the car swerves when you take a fast corner (as if you have heavy weight in the trunk). They are definetely NOT performance tires (worse than the Goodyears actually). But if you don't drive too fast and aggresive, these tires are Good especially for the money (pretty cheap compared to Michelins).
    I'll post again, after I rack up a couple thousand miles or so on them.
  • joelisjoelis Posts: 315
    Thats good to hear. Tires Plus has them for about $110 each. I'm still debating whether or not I'm going keep the car long enough to make it worth while.
  • With all the discussion about a replacement tire for the Badyears that Chrysler stuck us with. Does anyone have experience with the Continental CH95 EchoPlus. I couldn't find much talk about it here or at the 300M town hall. This comes up for a recommended tire at the same size for those of us with 17" wheels. It is always priced somewhere between $80-$95/tire. Thanks.
  • Anyone know a good source for the 17" 10 spoke chrome wheels. I need just one. Everyone on Ebay sells them as a set of four and I have not had any luck with the salvage yards in my area of Charlotte,NC. The inside rim is bent slightly and even to have it straightened is around $200, I don't trust that they could even do the job right. I have a lot of experience with cars and this is a first one for me, never seen a inside rim bend without hitting something major.
    Best regards.
  • This guy is insane! check out this 2001 LHS with 23, yes 23 TV Screens in it.

2001 LHS

• ottowrkrottowrkr Posts: 778
    That guy is nuts, 23 TV's WHY. I guess money was burning a hole in his pocket. He also removed both airbags, is that legal??
    ottowrkr-

I don't believe it. I think it's a Photoshop job! First of all, I'm pretty sure that having video devices like that in the front seat- steering wheel, sun visors, dash etc. are against the law in all states! I think it all looks stupid. To each his own. I think it's a fake.

fastdriver
  • beach15beach15 Posts: 1,305
    Looks like it could be real to me. You've never seen TV's put in place of the airbags before? I see it all the time at shows, the last of which I recall was a new Deville. Not sure if it really is legal, but people do do it.
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Posts: 122
    Just go to any aftermarket parts site.

"FOR OFF ROAD USE ONLY"

"NOT LEGAL IN SOME STATES"
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    How many can a person watch at once. I find that the two I have is plenty, four at the most. The 2 2.5" screens on each of the doors are useless. Who can watch a screen on the steering wheel?, unless you have a head like an owl. Most were well excuted (except for the passangers side dash) well into the car. But to me it was like feeding caviar to Pigs, a waste.
  • 300michael300michael Posts: 1,815
    Drive=Love, at least for me it has been the case. So far no (Acura) tranny problems or any others. Would I buy another? No, I love the one I have.
    300michael-

"Drive=Love, at least for me it has been the case. So far no (Acura) tranny problems or any others."

LOL... ME EITHER!!! Love my CL-S!

fastdriver
  • Have a 2000 LHS, 39K on it and last night after a very hard stop (ended up approx 4 inches from the bumper in front of me) the speedometer wasn't working and it isn't shifting down or up while in drive. Stalls when you stop and have it in drive, wont stall if you put it in low.
    Shortly there after (5 min or so) the check engine light came on.

Had it towed to the dealer after waiting 90 min for a tow truck.

And now the realllll kicker?

All of this happens 3k out of Warrenty.

sigh.

thanks for letting me vent
  • jab02lhsjab02lhs Posts: 122
    Sounds like the speed sensor in the tranny a somewhat common problem on the 300M board. not very expensive. See link for more info.

http://pub88.ezboard.com/f300menthusiastsclubfrm23.showMessage?topicID=1.topic

• acco20acco20 Posts: 208
    My 2000 LHS is ready for new tires. I am looking for quiet,long lasting all weather tires. I sometimes drive a little fast but am not concerned with high speed cornering etc. It has been suggested that I get Michelin energy MXV4 Plus. My size is P225/55R17. Does anyone have experiance with these tires, and are you happy with them. I do want Michelin, just not sure these are the exact ones. Thank you...
  • valhsvalhs Posts: 63
    I switched to Dunlop SP Sport A2's a long time ago. The size is 235/55R17. There are no clearance issues or rim width issues with moving to 235's. Go to tirerack.com before you make the leap. Read the reviews of true ownership experience. They cost around $112 apiece with 420 treadwear, AA temp and A traction. Many on here have used the Yoko Avid's but complain about sloppy handling when driven hard. The Dunlops are a great blend of long tire wear, great ride and excellent handling.
  • I have the Michelin MXV4 tires on my '99 platinum LHS for about two years now. Put them on at 32K; now have about 47500 miles. Car was delivered 4/27/98. I don't drive very much anymore.

They are fine; however they are expensive. Paid over $800 for 4 of them mounted and balanced on a Bear machine (essential, IMHO). I now longer rotate 5 wheels and kept the best Goodyear as my full-size spare. They ride smoothly with minimal noise. Just had them rotated yesterday (do it every 5K) and keep 34 # psi in them at all times. No vibrations, no problems. Since these are V-rated tires, they may be overkill IF you are not a very fast driver. But I was plagued with vibration and noise with the OEM Goodyears and I wanted some quality tires.

Bought mine at NTB, now a Sears affiliate. Used to be known as NTW. Chief difference is that NTB now additionally carries Sears batteries and tires. (This is in the WashDC area, but NTB is not just in this area). Dunno where you are. :^))

Yell if you need any further info or send e-mail as listed in my profile.

Good luck.

Miles
  • Hello everyone, I'm a proud owner of a 99 LHS. I've had for about a month and so far no problems. I did notice that the engine is a little loud when idle though, has anyone had this same experience?
  • I have the same car, now at about 47.5k. It definitely is not loud at idle. Matter of fact, I can barely hear the engine at idle.

Suggest you check your exhaust system for a hole.