Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler LHS

Comments

• chuckgchuckg Posts: 69
    I don't know if they get weak or not. I doubt it though.

How old is your battery? You may want to get it checked-out.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,362
    My 02 Limited always has had sticky windows when opening. Never paid much attention til I read about it in this forum. Went out today and did the following:
    1. Opened each and took a razor and scraped the top inch or so to remove a rubbery residue.
    2. Cleaned the glass at the top thoroughly with window cleaner then applied rain-x to the top edge as per directions.
    3. Applied rubber treatment to the gasket at the top of the door---very aggressively to get into the contact edge.

Results were amazing. So smooth and effortless.

It pays to browse these forums---thanks to all and Edmunds!!
  • tkaztkaz Posts: 69
    Battery is less than a year old. High beams are fine.
    tkaz- I talked to a mechanic buddy of mine. He has not seen this before. He used the word resistance to describe your problem. I'll ask another mechanic friend of mine on Thursday and see if he has any ideas.

I had this problem many years ago. I changed the battery and that solved it. Cars are a lot different now though.
    Here's your problem. You have a bad ground. Check your wires leading to your lights. Look for any breaks or skinned wires. Check all connectors in the line and make sure they are properly seated. You may want to reseat these connectors.

I was told that your problem is probably around your battery. When it was replaced something could have broken loose. It's an honest mistake that does sometimes happen. Start looking there.

Also, any other work done on your car recently? If so check it out.

The mechanic would like to know how you make out. He's seen this before.
  • I have a 97 LHS and have encountered a recent problem with the "Message Center" showing the ABS and Trac Control indicators lit up. It happens at random during driving, not just during or after braking, and once they come on the stay lit until the engine is turned off. For instance, I saw them come on while driving along after driving at 45 mph for some time after my last brake application. Nothing seems to affect my braking capabilities, although I haven't had to make a "panic stop" since the onset of the problem. I don't know if the ABS system is affected in any way. Any idea of what I should check? Has anyone had a similar problem? Thanks...
  • Recently acquired a 99 lhs. It had a bad battery and I replaced it w/ a new one. Upon driving the car for a few miles, i noticed the battery light had come on. I can turn the ignition off and restart the car and the light will go off. The Battery light might come on after a few miles or it may not come on at all(40 + miles). The battery does not go dead(like the car is not charging)....no matter how much i drive it.

Couple of related things i have noticed. My interior(dash cluster, interior lights, etc.) lights seem to "flutter" from bright to low somewhat. They do not seem to be getting a consistent power supply. Also, i notice that sometimes when i push on the breaks, sometimes my radio cuts off, my dash lights flicker...for a fraction of a second....then things turn back to normal. Sometimes when i drive the car, my battery light does not come on at all and i notice that the earlier described symptoms do not appear.

I have cleaned my Hot/Ground connections on my battery connectors, and have replaced the alternator w/ a known good unit w/out any change. Is there anyone who has had experience w/this type of issue on chryslers. any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
    I have the same exact problem. It happens once every six months or so. The car hasn't set any codes.

To me it is so minor that I don't worry about it. I just live with it and when it does happen, I know it will reset itself.
  • tkaztkaz Posts: 69
    The problem seemed to be the plastic headlight lens. Even though they had not yellowed, they were quite pitted on close examination. I wet sandpapered them, then used compound and then polish. That helped a lot. Went one step farther and bought a pair of Sylvania Silverstar lamps. What I found interesting is the LHS manual and the Sylvania web site says use a 9006XS (straight base)for low beam. However, the actual low beam lamps in my LHS are 9006ST (right angle). The straight base lamps will not fit. If you change lamps male sure you check first. Once you know what to look for it is easy to see. Between removing the pits from the plastic lens and replacing the bulbs the low beam intensity and coverage seems fine.
  • I have 95 LHS.
    It has developed a fuel smell, mostly on the outside, after especially heat or AC is on during travel.

Any others out there who has/had this problem.?
    What may be issue to fix here.?
    safe to drive.?

Thanks for any info you can provide.
    I have a '94 New Yorker (same body as LHS) and have the fuel smell you describe. My odor is coming from under the hood. Check your fuel rails in the front of your engine for leaks.

I believe there was a recall several years ago to fix the rails. I never got it done and have been living with the smell for a couple of years now.

I've also been told that there is some kind of fuel vent in the back of the engine that can stick. Don't know how true that is but you may want to ask someone that knows and report back.
  • bjk202bjk202 Posts: 3
    i am thinking about purchasing a 2000 lhs with 202,000 miles on it. any advice or thoughts?
    looks very clean and tight. was told it was well maintained.
    Why not. They're nice cars. And with those miles, they can't be asking a lot of money for it.

The 3.5L engine is good. It has a stainless exhaust on it. There probably is little rust under it. Nice interior.

Ask him about the air conditioner. The evaporators can go bad and they are an expensive repair.

What do they want for it?
    asking price is $3500.00
    I priced-out the car on Edmunds. Depending on the options that car is worth $4,000-$4,300 as a private party sale, according to Edmunds.

So, you purchase the car for $3,000-$3,500, drive it for a couple of years, and get rid of it for maybe $2,500. Even if the engine blows after 2 years, the car owes you nothing.

My buddy owns a car repair shop. He gets cars all the time that he fixes and sells. You wouldn't believe how much he gets for high mileage cars that aren't in the greatest of shape.

If that LHS is in good shape, in a couple of years that car will be worth almost what you paid for it, if you sell it yourself. I know. I see it all the time at his shop.

As long as that car is in good shape, I'd go for it.
    Thank you chuckg you have been very helpful and I appreciate it very much. bjk202
  • cujo123cujo123 Posts: 2
    i own a 2000 chrysler lhs..thing is the key wont go inside the keylock..is there somekind of reprogramming that needs to be done..does anybody else have this problem..it wont go in on either side of the door..thanks for your help..
  • I recently had a similar problem on my 1997 LHS. When I put on the brakes,the ABS was being activated when the road was dry. Also when I accelerated the traction control was being activated. I checked both front wheel speed sensors and they checked OK (1180 ohms) It turned out to be the notched ring had come loose on the driver's side. I used 5 min epoxy to glue it back into place. So far so good.
  • jriggjrigg Posts: 1
    My 1999 LHS has a rough idle/knock. The pully on the camshaft seems to have play at an idle. When you put the car in gear or put a load on the play/knock is gone. Has anyone experienced this problem? Could it be the thrust bearing or perhaps the less expensive route only the pully?

I have 106,000 miles on it and it has been well cared for.

jrigg
  • godyzarcgodyzarc Posts: 1
    Is or has anyone had this problem? From 0, when engine is hot, valve chatter and rattle. Dealer is clueless. Changed oil to high mileage (have 76k), oil filter and added oil treatment. Still rattles. No power loss, no indicator lights. Just rattle rattle rattle. Sounds like the top of the motor is starving for oil. Going uphill is the worst. Any help would be appreciated.
  • gibby2gibby2 Posts: 1
    I have an 97 LHS that the heater fan motor will not shut off as long as the key is turned on. I pulled the control unit from the dash and unplugged everything and the motor still runs. I'm thinking there must be a relay somewhere that controls that motor but where is it. Any suggestions or help with this problem would be appreciated.

TIA
    Gibby2
  • griffisgriffis Posts: 2
    just purchased a 2000 lhs yesterday with 77k miles and i love this car driven many licolns before this car and i like the ride in the lhs better. it doesnt have the owners manual and i would like it to tell me how to operate all the gadgets inside the car and to have info on how to take care of it if anyone has one please let me get a copy from you ill pay for the copies or let me know where to get one
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,362
    Use your favorite search engine and search car owners manuals. You might find one at a junk yard but the LHS is not that common a model so probably not. Expect to pay at least $30 with shipping maybe more.
  • griffisgriffis Posts: 2
    thank you but i just talked to the company that sold it to me and they said they promise a manual with every car so they ordered for me i love this car
  • aaerosaaeros Posts: 1
    Where is the starter motor located in a 1999 Chyrsler LHS and can it be easily replaced?
  • ltejadaltejada Posts: 1
    My Chrysler LHS 1995 some times do not start. I found the vehicle with NO power to the system (NO interior lights, NO radio, NO power at all) of course it will not start.

Some times with a little tap to the fuse box it will allow the power to be delivered and after that is normal operation. Lately with some vibrations the power is cut-off and the car stops until power is delivered again (few taps on the fuse box and there).

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED.
  • My 95 LHS overheats.. the fans don't kick on, but I can click the A/C button, and they come on.. the A/C is not functional on this car.. I wonder what the problem is?
  • cujo123cujo123 Posts: 2
    Does any know were is the AC Recharge Port for a Chrysler LHS, year 2000? I located the green valve, but are unable to locate the grey and/or black valve. Thank you!
  • I am getting ready to do a major overhaul of the cooling system on my '97 LHS, including new radiator, hoses and water pump. According to parts lists, there are two different water pumps that could go on a 3.5L engine, one with three mounting holes and one with five or six. How can I know in advance which one it takes, so I can purchase the right one?
    Is there a VIN # or other code that can make that determination?
  • The light usually comes on after 15-20 mins of driving . Engine temp is Normal.
    It will stay on. Next time I turn on the engine it won't come on initially but will mostly come back.

I am clueless. what do I check first, second.? ANy help would be great. thanks