Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Concorde

Comments

• daveali98daveali98 Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2001 Chrysler Concorde Lxi for my grandma last summer with 75K miles. Last week the car suddenly would not start. The dealership in Athens Ohio cannot figure out what the problem is.

1. Anyone have any clue what could prevent the car from starting ? The local car mechanic eliminated the battery and starter.

2. The dealership said that they need to order a new BCM (Body Control Module) in order to get any reading. However, getting in a new BCM does not guarantee anything, which could mean $1000 down the drain.

3. The dealership has had the car for 10 days now. Is that normal ?

4. Help, I need to get grandma back on the road. Is there a related Service Bulletin i can share with the dealership.
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,315
    To check on tech service bulletins go to edmunds.com and click on tips at the top. Scroll down to the maintenance and tsb section and follow the trail.
  • foxyj75foxyj75 Posts: 4
    I saw that someone else has posted a comment about not owning an lx for any reason. This fear is unfounded. I am assuming that the major reason for this comment is the supposedly troublesome 2.7 engine that comes in these cars. While the early versions of this motor were indeed plauged by sludge problems, as well as other various tining chain o-ring and coolant leakage problems, newer versions(2002 and later) have addressed and fixed these shortcomings. This engine is still in use in the new Chargers and 300's, as well as the Sebrings. The whole sludge issue can be easily avoided, however. Simply make sure your oil is fresh, of good quality(no Wolf's Head!) and is at the proper level. Or better yet, if your engine is relatively low mileage(50,000 or under), get an engine flush, and switch to a quality synthetic. Doing this will pretty much eliminate any sludge in the engine. That being said, an optioned out lx is a great way to go in a late model Concorde. My lx is a 2004 model, and it has every option the limited has except for leather interior, auto headlights, auto temp, and the 17" wheels( mine came with 16" LXi alloys). Honestly though, I don't really want that stuff. I hate leather(nice when new, but nasty when old, hot and cold like vinyl), are you really too lazy to turn a temp knob or headlight switch?, 17" tires are expensive. There are a few other tings though, such as speed sensitive steering, ect. But the concorde is not a sports car, so having that kind of stuff is kind of silly IMO. If you did'nt know you had it, you would'nt miss it! The bottom line however, is that you can get into one of these excellent optioned-out cars for cheap because of the 2.7 myths floating about. And yes I am a professional auto technician, so my expertise is actually worth a few cents! If you have any questions feel free to ask!! Thanks!!
  • detfandetfan Posts: 1
    I have a 1994 Concorde, does this thing have a fuel cut off switch somewhere? It just died on me driving down the road, and I am hoping my timing just didn't go.

Thanks
  • daveali98daveali98 Posts: 2
    The car has now been in the shop 3 weeks. The dealer said he had to get a new BCM, and still cant get any reading. HE is clueless. Do any of you experts have any ideas how to get the car started again. The dealership surely doesn't. I did an exhaustive search online but no clear solutions as to how to get a diagnostic reading and how to get the car started again. 2001 Chryster Concorde LXi. Grammy is getting desparate, and so am I. daveali98@yahoo.com
    check your crank and camshaft position sensors. they are notorious for going out on these cars when warm weather sets in. I just replaced the cam position sensor on my car, and it only has 37,000 on it. Used to et alot of them in at the chrysler dealer I used to work at. Good luck, and God Bless!!!
  • v65magicv65magic Posts: 5
    My concord has been doing the same thing for several months and possibly over a year now.
    I have the column around the key switch off and drive it this away.
    When it doesnt start, I start unplugging the connectors and and try starting it.
    It sooner or later fires right up like there is no problem and keeps starting for an undetermined amount of time.

The last time I had the connector going to the key switch & 2 connectors on the top of the column unplugged and it started.
    Thats the best I can tell you for now.
    GOOD LUCK & LET ME KNOW IF YOU FIND ANY INFO.
    Joe
  • It's my first time to buy a car, and I found a 2002 concorde with 100K millage. What do you think about this year's concorde? Is there any general problem? Or is the millage too high? The owner said he is the first owner.
    Catherine, alot depends on the engine in the car you are considering. Concordes came with either a 2.7l or a 3.5l engine. At this mileage, a 3.5l engine is a better choice in my opinion. Now there is absolutely nothing wrong with a 2.7l engine, but at this mileage, the previous owner would have to show me all service records for the car. The oil should've been changed every 3000 miles. Also, I would call a Chrysler dealer and have them tell you what should have been serviced and/or replaced by now(e.g. timing belt, spark plugs, wires, egr valve, filters,ect.). If the seller cannot provide you with service records, then the 3.5 is a better choice. While there is nothing inherently wrong with a car with a 2.7 engine, this engine can be troublesome if it is not maintained properly. Other than that, just realize that at 100k miles, some routine maintenance is to be expected, as things just start to wear out after 100k miles. Hope this helped!!! GOD BLESS!!!<><
    P.S. I happen to be a dealership mechanic, so I do have experience with these kinds of things!!!
  • cwestoncweston Posts: 4
    We have a 1999 concorde we bought used and it only had 80K miles on it, now has 114K....so, in my opinion, I think a 100k for a 2002 is quite a bit.
    I'd like to give some of our personal experience and what to watch for.....the engine of course as your last reply touched base on and I agree the 3.5 is better. But beware of the sensors---speed control sensor--when it goes, you would think its the transmission going out--about 200 to replace....the output control sensor is another one---this one, you won't be able to move the car--tow it in--transmission will not shift--250 to fix plus labor. Air bag light--if it comes on/stays on-you won't have power windows, blower for heat/ac or turn signals---check the clockspring in the steering column---another 250-300 to have fixed. Chrysler had alot of problems with these cars BE SURE to check to see what's been replaced and the engine sludge build up--have it looked over before you buy it! if I had my 'rathers',,,i wouldn't have bought it. I'm not a guy or a mechanic---I'm a mom of two and have learned about the chrysler concorde!
    but each to their own and good luck!
  • I had the same problem once...It was the Ignition Fuse located in the power distribution center (fuse box inside the trunk on the left side of the engine)...try it, may help
  • there are some nice leather covers that fits just perfect...I have one of these.
  • im acutally having probs too...i just changed my front brake pads (would have done all but 1 of the 2 screws that hold the caliper to the rotor are so rusted bad that it wont come off). but anyways, i changed the pads and now my parking brake wont cut off unless it wants to. my brake fluid isnt all the way up to max but there is still visibly enough i s'pose. should i possibly fill it to the max line? or is it an electrical thing?
  • for a while now my steering wheel has felt loose, for instance, while driving straight my steering wheel is turned to the left or to the right (depending on how im trying to stay straight).

for instance lets say im driving straight. i have to move the wheel left and right just to keep it straight. almost as if was loose. then when i go to make a turn i have to turn the wheel more than im supposed to.

alighnment??
    other probs?
  • ive posted actually a couple of posts...and still no reply...and i really need help on this issue....

yesterday i finally figured out how to change my brake pads on a 97 concorde lx..and since then the parking brake like near my speedometer turns off and then on for a while and then just randomly turns off....could i have done something to the brakes? they work fine to me...bled them and everything....

one thing it could possibly be is that the resevoir for the brake fluid isnt all the way filled up...but when i take the cap off it still has some in it. would i need to fill it up to the max line possibly?

also does the same thing with my brights near the speedometer...ever since i changed the bulb the light stays on all the time (which i did that maybe 3-4 months ago)

one other thing....

for a while now my steering wheel has felt loose, for instance, while driving straight my steering wheel is turned to the left or to the right (depending on how im trying to stay straight).

for instance lets say im driving straight. i have to move the wheel left and right just to keep it straight. almost as if was loose. then when i go to make a turn i have to turn the wheel more than im supposed to.

alighnment??
    other probs?
  • yesterday i finally figured out how to change my brake pads on a 97 concorde lx..and since then the parking brake like near my speedometer turns off and then on for a while and then just randomly turns off....could i have done something to the brakes? they work fine to me...bled them and everything....

one thing it could possibly be is that the resevoir for the brake fluid isnt all the way filled up...but when i take the cap off it still has some in it. would i need to fill it up to the max line possibly?

also does the same thing with my brights near the speedometer...ever since i changed the bulb the light stays on all the time (which i did that maybe 3-4 months ago)

one other thing....

for a while now my steering wheel has felt loose, for instance, while driving straight my steering wheel is turned to the left or to the right (depending on how im trying to stay straight).

alighnment??
    other probs?
  • I changed the 50 watt fuse under the hood(I hope it was the right one)and still nothing.The light does come on when I push the button but thats it....Please help??
  • 2000 concord lxi needs engine.priced from 3700 to 4000 for an engine. owe 6200.00 on car. nice shape. leather, moon roof 92000 miles.i was told to trade on a lease to get rid of the negative equity in 39 months than trade on a buy.any expertise of an idea?
  • wtd44wtd44 Posts: 1,211
    At the very least, get yourself a repair manual that covers your car. Haynes and Chilton are reasonably priced manuals you can find at car parts stores. My number one advice to you though, is get help from a local source such as a repair shop or dealership. Brake systems are critical to your safety.
  • i have a 97 concorde 2.7 can anybody send me or tell me how to replace the plastic water outlet,that the top hose connects to on the motor? does the intake have to come off or can u replace it without doing that? any help and instructions would be appreciated. thnx troy p.s a copy of alldata instructions would really be great :), p.s i do have a chiltons and there is absolutely nothing about removal or installation of this part. thnx again
    Maybe your local library has Alldata or Mitchell manuals for on-site use through their computers-- online manuals, in other words.
  • I am a mechanic. This is pretty simple. You need to add brake fluid to the plastic brake fluid bottle under the hood near the firewall. That is why the "BRAKE" light is coming on. I'm not real sure why you bled the brakes??? You don't have to bleed the the brakes to change the rotors and pads. I would take your car to somebody that know how to bleed brakes, and have them do it to make sure all the air is out of the system. Air in the brake lines drastically reduces the braking power your Concorde has.
    Concerning the loose steering, you really need to get this checked out ASAP!!!! Look on any of the lemon sites, and type in Chrysler Concorde steering problems. Some of the LH platform cars(such as our concordes, intrepids, and 300's) had defective parts in the steering that break suddenly, and without warning. This obviously could be very dangerous!!!! As long as it is checked out and fixed, it's fine. Just one of those random design flaws that every car maker has. Hope this helped!

God Bless,
    Jeremiah
  • I recently purchased a used 2000 LX 2.7 (58,300 mi) from a local dealership and am presently having it inspected right away for oil sludge buildup. Carfax records indicate vehicle service performed quite a bit, but not every 3k mi. interval is accounted for nor are there details on what service was performed exactly. Given the limited mileage for the age, I was wondering if there were other things below the surface going on. So far, the only things required were a keyfob reprogramming, power window regulator replacement, coolant flush, oil change (standard Castrol at the time because I didn't know how best to avoid this sludge issue), and a rotate and balance.

Would a good preventative maintenance plan to avoiding sludge buildup include using, say, (1) Changing with Castrol GTX synthetic every 2,500 mi. (short trip driving is guaranteed at times and cold winters are almost guaranteed in most parts of the US, hence why the 500 mi. reduction from the recommended), (2) Replacing the PCV valve every 6 months to avoid accumulating too much crud at that point? (2) was recommended by one other tech I spoke with, as opposed to replacing the valve by the recommended schedule every 30k mi.

I'm also interested in hearing about any explanations or advice about coolant leaks and the timing chain (o-rings, the chain itself, whatever). Obviously, if the coolant reservoir or water pump have a leak, then the most likely ensuing mix with the crankcase oil is setting the stage to kiss the 2.7 engine goodbye. So, outside of ensuring leaks aren't happening by following the recommended maintenance schedule to practically the letter, what else can be done about coolant- and timing chain-related problems?

Thanks for your input.
    I'll comment on the lubrication: My recommendation would be to change the oil and filter every 3K miles. I have a 1996 3.5L V6 LSI Concorde, and I currently use Chevron Supreme 10W-30 in it.
  • I WILL LIKE TO KNOW HOW TO PUT IN A RADIATOR IN A 2000 CHRYLSER CONCORD CAN I DO IT MYSELF OR DO I NEED TO TAKE IT TO A SHOP, AND WHERE IS THE THERMOSTAT LOCATED AT I HAVE A 3.2 ENGINE, ALSO DOSE IT REGUIRE SPECIAL TOOLS TO CHANGE OUT THE RADIATOR PLEASE LET ME KNOW I WILL REALLY LIKE SOME OPININS ON THIS MATTER THANK YOU ............ ;) :confuse:
  • walt5walt5 Posts: 4
    My '99 Concorde passenger's and driver's windows raise and lower but seem to be off track..do not fit properly into window frame when raised...also, automatic children's rear dook lock started making very loud screetching noise when activated...can anyone help with these problems before I spend a bazillion bucks at my dealer?

steelerfan
  • My 1998 Concord will not start in the cold weather. I replaced the crank and cam sensors about 6 months ago when my car first wouldn't start. It ran fine up until a month ago, now when its cold outside thats all it will do is turn over but not start.
  • The best way to do the replacement is to subscribe to Alldata the cost is $24.95/year for the make and model your looking for and it will give you a detailed discription of the how to and pictures to back it up. I've done it on my 1999 Concorde.
  • i just had a waterpump and a timing belt put on my 1996 chrysler concorde lxi and i was told that it will take approx 4 plus hours and i was told that just the labor alone would cost me 325.00 is this an fair and accurate price.
  • thats alot of money you dont have anyone else that knows how to fix cars , i had my timing belt put on a 2000 chrylser concorde and while tey change the timming belt it's always good to change the water pump and thermostat, check around first don't always go with the first deal :shades: