Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chrysler Concorde

Comments

• I have to strongly disagree with you about the extended warranty.
    The main purpose of me either purchasing or leasing a new car is for the peace of mind of knowing that for up to 100,000 miles that any repairs needed will be covered under the new car warranty or extended warranty.
    Just one repair to the engine,trans,or injection can easily cost well over the cost of the best extended warranty that Chrysler offers...plus the fact that I will be provided a rental at no cost.
    I am neither a Chrysler lover nor do I dislike Chrysler in any way...they just so happen to mfg. the concorde that I drive...after reading some of the nightmare posts in here and talking to a few others who own Chryslers its a known fact that based on past models that there could be a strong possibility of costly repairs in the future.
    My ConcordeLXI has 8,000 miles on it and has been a decent car so far but in all honesty I have to say that if Chrysler didn't have the extended warranty I would not have purchased the Concorde.
    When you take in consideration that after paying the cost of the car and transfer fees and sales tax and finance charges you can easily have over 30,000 invested in your car so the cost of protecting your investment by spending another 2'000for the best warranty really isn't all that bad.
    I guess the bottom line is if my car turns out to be a trouble free car for 100,000 miles then I made a mistake by taking out the warranty and stand to loose 2,000 dollars but if my car turns out to have major problems in the future then I could have saved three or more times the cost of a warranty.
    I guess if only we had a crystal ball then we would know the right answer but we all have to do what makes us most comfortable.
    Good luck with you new car and take care...
  • 401k401k Posts: 16
    For what little it may be worth, I happen to agree with you 100%.

I have never bought an extended warranty, and I never will.

If I truly felt that a car (or any other "major" purchase) that I was considering purchasing needed to be covered by an extended warranty, I simply would not buy it. Period.

As an investment and insurance professional, I can assure you that the risk premium that one pays for extended warranties is FAR too high. Extended warranties are sold because the salesperson often makes more from the sale of the warranty than on the sale of the car. There are (obviously) those people who desire "peace of mind". That's okay, but one has to realize that one is paying a VERY dear price for that "peace of mind".

One man's opinion.

Tom
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    imo, extended warranties are pushed by car makers for two reasons, they are money makers and they help to raise the customer satisfaction rankings. automakers are well aware of the fact that any consumer who keeps his car longer than the original warranty doesn't want to face any huge expenses do to mechanical failure, etc. who do you think is gonna be happier, a consumer who has to replace his tranny at 70k miles (not under extended warranty) or one where the bill is covered by warranty. and which consumer is more likely to purchase again from the same automaker given the above scenario?
  • I can totally understand your reasoning of why you are against purchasing an extended warranty and in the long run you may be absolutely right..
    email...your post truely made a lot of sense and I also agree with you 100% in what you had said.
    I will give you the reason that I am totally in favor of the extended warranty...,I have been in the used car business and have owned several lots for the past 20 years and with the older rear wheel drive carburetor cars they could last for a very long time and when repairs were needed in many cases they were not all that costly.
    with the front wheel drive fuel injected cars in my expierence you can spend a fortune on repairs...with in the first 100,000 miles it is very common to have CV problems or fuel injection problems...I always have my vehicle serviced by the dealer and to say the least agency prices are not cheap.
    I feel that I am easy on a car and always maintain my vehicles properly...I had a 95 car that within the first 60,000 miles needed an air flow sensor and also needed a transmission and the cost of those repairs including my rental car and towing was almost 4,000 dollars.
    When I look at the true cost of an extended warranty I only do so at the point that i am trading my car back in then I take off the cost of any repairs that I would have had to pay for and then I can figure out how much the warranty would have cost or saved me.
    Another very important factor that many without a warranty overlook is when you have a warranty you tend to want to keep your vehicle for the entire 100,000 miles knowing you will have no costly repairs during that time....without the warranty you tend to think differently and feel I better replace my car before I have any problems and by doing that you are in reality spending more then the warranty would have cost in the first place.
    well only time will prove us right or wrong but hopefully all of our Chrysler ownership will prove to be a very happy expierence...take care
  • I was pleased to find this posting site. Today i took the plunge and purchased a 2000 Concorde. Believe it or not I got .9% financing for 60 months. Unfortunately because of the low finance rate the dealer wasnt budging much on the price...negotiated at 24K. Even though i am reasonably satisfied about the price i am going thru major BUYER'S REMORSE". HEELLLLPPPP!!!!! I just wanted to share my experience.
  • Hi and congratulations on your new Concorde...now is not the time to have buyers remorse now is the time to go out and drive and enjoy your new Concorde....good luck with your new car ..
  • emaleemale Posts: 1,380
    did you get the lx or lxi?
  • hohohoho Posts: 64
    I took the car to the dealer today for it's first repair work. 6000 miles on the car to date.

The paint on the rims did not cover the rims completely. They replaced all four rims, washed the car and cleaned the inside. They treated my wife with dignity and respect.

I know I might get flamed by someone who has not received this type of service from a dealership. But one fact remains, I did.

My only concern is that I had to make an appointment to see them. It worked out fine for us though. And when I asked them about this, they said if we had an emergency of any type we would not need an appointment.

On the matter of "Extended Warranties". I agree if the money could be placed in a fund of some type that would allow "immediate withdrawal without any type of fines or fees" that is a heck of a good idea. It is not something I thought of when I was considering a warranty coverage plan. The best thing I did was pay for it separately from the purchase of the car so it would not be included in the financing.

It would be nice to know that everything we bought or plan to buy is made to last for a long time. It just is not going to happen. I have to wonder if there might be some type of consideration about that during it's design faze. There is quite a bit of money spent on vehicles. And there sure is allot of car repair shops around.

I guess they call it "job security" or "economics 101" or "How to keep America employed".

Just my opinion,

Rick
  • Don't fret. The Concorde is a wonderful vehicle. My '99 LX is great on all key points: looks, highway gas mileage, creature comforts (leather!), storage space, handling, and general feeling of competence. I'm sure yours is equally good. Best 24 grand (new, MSRP) car you can buy, IMHO. Since your dealer had to "participate" in the subsidy of your financing, it's not surprising he didn't feel very charitable on the purchase price. It probably cost him close to a grand -- say $500 direct, plus loss of revenue from sale of the financing contract to a local lender. You dealers out there -- can you help calibrate these numbers?
    Bottom line: Enjoy the car every day, but especially those days when you write the check.
  • pwaspwas Posts: 34
    I now have a 98 camry le 4cyl loaded. I like it but i desire something more luxurious. I looked at the avalon & the Mitsubishi diamante.But can't get a fair trade. So Im looking at the concorde lxi. usaually american dealers will do more bending. What do you think? I need some imput on this. i seen the 0.9 for 60 mos for chrysler that caught my attention.
  • I saw several messages about the gasket leakage on my 97 concorde. Did anyone ever get it fixed? After taking the car in 3 times I gave up. Also on the topic of extended warranties. This is what I do, and I got mine for $800 instead of $2000. I negotiated price of car, then asked how much warranty was. Then carefully explained that 1) I wasn't buying a chrysler product without warranty because I've owned chrysler before and 2) I don't have an extra $2000 and I cannot give you what I don't have, so sorry I cannot buy this vehicle. I was honest and firm, so they gave me the warranty at cost.
  • hohohoho Posts: 64
    Really good idea for getting the warranty price down.
  • I'm seeking best deal on an 2000 LXi with sunroof. Without invoice pricing info for 2000, I'm estimating the overall invoice price to be about $24,300. With $1000 dealer incentive, that price could be as low $23,000 or $23,500. CAN ANY ONE CONFIRM THE INVOICE PRICE FOR 2000 LXi PLUS SUNROOF?

To that I must add destination charges ($560), New Jersey's 6% tax, DMV/Doc fees, and the minimum amount of money the dealer wants to do the deal. HAS ANYONE BEEN ABLE TO GET THIS CAR OUT THE DOOR FOR $25,500?

Mike
  • I'm in the process of ordering a 2000 Concorde (without the moonroof), and in the process of doing so got a look at the invoice for a 2000 with the moonroof. The invoice numbers were as follows:

Concorde with LXi package: 23,924
    Infinity stereo upgrade: 445
    Matching wheel for spare: 80
    Customer discount (LXi package): (280)
    Zone charges (Memphis): 455
    Destination: 560

Looking at my notes, I can't tell if the 3.2L engine is now included in the vehicle/LXi combination (oversight on my part); what I do recall is that the invoice numbers for the moonroof hadn't changed from last year to this, although I didn't make a note, since I won't be ordering it.

Best of luck.
  • 1. Thanks very much for your help. With the LXi package discount, the base invoive price comes down to $23644, including holdback.

2. Yes, the 3.2l engine is part of the LXi package this year. Last year, as I'm sure you know, it was a mandatory extra.

3. Regarding your final cost, although I don't buy a lot of cars, I've never seen a zone charge before.

4. How much of the $1000 Dealer Incentive do you think you'll be able to get?

Best of luck to you.
  • "Zone charges" are Chrysler's expression for the "advertising charges" you'll see reference to on the new vehicle pricing and information pages on Edmund's. Go check the 1999 Concorde LX information; it's right below the autobytel.com blurb, in brackets. They also pull some Mickey Mouse stuff with their charges for customer information system ($20), and seven gallons of gas, or whatever it is. Nit-picky, I'm sure you'll agree, but there it was on the invoice, so what's a body to do?
    In truth, I haven't discussed the current dealer incentive yet with any of my target salesmen, except obliquely when the salesman in question has started down the "well-we've-got-to-make-some-money-on-this-car" trail. In my searches, which started in June 1998, I've found that letting the chaps know you're as well informed or better than they are (a) goes a long way towards quelling such wastes of precious oxygen, and (b) usually isn't badly received. Sort of like, "OK, you caught me; but I had to try, understand?"
    Happy hunting.
  • Just a note. My daughter and I were run off of the interstate north of Dallas in my 98 concorde lxi a few weeks ago. Traffic, and we, were going 70mph. After a few power-type slides, we hit the wall in the center median. We both walked away w/o a bruise. I personally feel this is a testament to Chrysler and what they are doing w/ their sedans. The car took it hard - now its been declared "Totalled", but the passengers were uninjured. Go Chrysler! I just bought a 99 - same car wouldn't go w/ anyone else!
  • Re; 2000 concorde LXi
    I see the dealer incentive is now $1000-$1500. I wonder what drives the $500 swing? Thanks for your tip to look again at this info.

My plan is to advise several dealers that I am advising several Chryser dealers and one Honda dealer about my desire to purchase this Chryser (or a loaded Accord) at an "out-the-door" price of $25,000; Dealer cost = $25,700 with $1000 of dealer incentive included to get to that purchase price. That price includes moonroof, full size spare, destination charge, tax and DMV plus Doc. fees. Their job will be to push back with any and all of their extra charges and still have an attractive enough offer to close the deal at their shop.

So far, I don't think I'd be willing to buy if its more than $26,000, even with their 0.9% financing.

PS - I like that steel blue color best of the ones I've seen so far.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Posts: 2,273
    gobears1-

Just out of curiosity, what did your insurance company give you for your totaled 98 Concorde LXI?

fastdriver
  • In response to you post number 76, hold out for a little better deal if you can. I was able to get the LXI with 3.2 engine, infinity stereo for $22,500 out the door. That was a new '99. It didn't have the moon roof and I know the 2000's are a little higher, so I'd hold out for at least 23,500.

country girl