Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Park Avenue

Comments

• i have a 94 buick pa and my radio constantly changes stations and my ac and heater go from 60 to 90 then back and forth all the time can anyone tell me what i cn do to fix this :confuse:
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,090
    My very first check would be the ground buss bar that's under the door frame plastic at the bottom of the A pillar. It's a bundle of wires with a bar that corrodes if lots of moisture stays present. Since you have two problems I'd begin with that.

Well maybe I'd check the positive cable on the battery for corrosion between the two separate positive cables that are both clamped to one post. Separate them and check for corrosion. Check the ground wire while you're there.
  • Could be a problem with the wiring harness that connects the steering wheel buttons to the components in the dash. One of the big things both the stereo tuner and the heater temperature controls have in common is that both are connected to the steering wheel buttons, so check that wiring carefully for kinks, worn insulation, etc. and for proper button function (no shorts), etc.

Be careful around the airbag when you're messing around with wiring under there, though.
  • 64ss64ss Posts: 1
    can someone tell me how to replace my leaking side cover gasket on my 1995 buick park ave?
  • xman3xman3 Posts: 3
    For what its worth, 97 park ave door handle was repaired by supergluing broken tab back to body and then drilling and taping with 4-40 screw--has lasted about 6 months
  • Good afternoon. I have a 1999 Buick PA with about 135,000 miles on it. For some time now my "Service Engine Soon" light has been on. My car, without much notice, will shut off whenever I stop at red lights, stop signs or slow down to turn corners. I took it to AZ and they put a little monitor beneath my dash board. It read "MAS" (Massive Airflow Sensor I believe). I bought the sensor, had it installed and the "Service ..." light went off - but only for about 1 week. Last Sunday, the second week since the light has been off, while driving to a store about 1.5 miles away all was fine. When I left the store, however, a block away my car seemed like it was gasping for air (more like choaking) and cut off. After four attempts to restart it (when I turned the key in the ignition, I would hear it come on but it would not stay on), I finally got it going. It has not gone off since that time, but now I need inspection and I know it won't pass because of that darn light. Also, I've had the car for about four years and it has had a tune-up maybe once during that time. Needless to say, I want it fixed for safety reasons, too! Thanks!
  • maxamus1maxamus1 Posts: 1
    Will the outer door handle from 98 buick LaSaber work.
  • raina2raina2 Posts: 2
    hey, was wondering if anyone knows if I can use a 93' Regal engine in my 91' Park Avenue. Some things are different but if I can I make it work will the electrical and such be compatable with my car? What other engines can I use?
  • just pur. a '02 PA has exact same problem on pass. fr. door. did you resolve your problem, if so how. thanks. 10/7/09.
  • dano32dano32 Posts: 5
    I have a 1991 park ave. a few weeks ago it wouldn't start due to no spark. i ended up replacing the module and it woked fine for a couple of weeks before dying while moving when my daughter was driving it. i again i didn't have spark and didn't think it was the module again, and the coil pack wasn't arcing out like they do , so i replaced the cam and crank sensors....nothing. I got a used module off a car with a bad tranny so i knew it worked. the car started and ran for about ten seconds before dying and not starting again. is my module getting fried? is it possible my coil pack is shorting internally and damaging my module? i hate to go buy a coil pack and 100$ module to test my theory. is there anyway to test the module and coil pack???

thanks,

guy who should've spent more on his daughters school car!!
  • bowleebowlee Posts: 5
    1998 Buick Park Avenue Driver Side Door Handle Replacement

A tip broke off an arm like protrusion on the back of my door handle - supergluing did no good as I was able to easily snap it off again. A replacement handle was $93 at my dealer (ouch). I replaced it in about 2 hours, working slow and carefully - all is well now.

Put window up. Remove the inner door panel by removing 3 screws total. Two are located in the arm rest (below the little plastic panel that can be removed using a flat blade screw driver – it needs to be bent up slightly), and the other screw is located behind the door light (use flat blade screw driver to pop out the light). Lift the panel up and a number of clips behind the panel will release as you lift the panel up. Disconnect the wire harness.

There is a black vinyl covering stuck with some kind of black putty to the inner door below the panel. It can be pulled away enough to access the door handle area without removing it completely. I had to pull it off the top two black plastic fasteners and left side, but was able to leave the right side and bottom still stuck on.

Unclip the lock latch rod (bottom black clip), remove the two bolts holding the handle – the left side bolt is a little trickier to get at and you’ll need a small 10mm wrench to get at it. The right bolt is easily accessible. The handle will now partially pop out. You now need to unhook the upper latch rod (black clip). The handle will now come out.
    Don’t worry if you drop one of the bolts in the door – you can easily reach a thin arm down to the bottom of the door!

Take the key lock out and put it into your new handle and follow these steps backwards to put your door back together.">
  • I have a 1998 Park Avenue and I replaced my rear shocks. How can i tell if my load leveling compressor is working? Also is it possible to upgrade the rear deck speakers if they have a amplifier. Thanks.
    On my H-bodies I own the compressor runs for about 3-5 seconds after the key is on for 30-40 seconds.

Turn your key on and go stand beside the rear or the car. You'll hear the compressor run to adjust the pressure in the shocks.
  • First to check your load leveling system toss a bunch of heavy crap in the trunk, you should hear the compressor kick on and see the rear end raise up.

Second the rear speakers, I replaced my rear decks with pioneer speakers from cruthfield, you will need to get some adaptive stuff at the local parts store to make the conections. I did not do anything else and the upgrade is well worth it.
  • THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! My 98 PA has had this fuel gauge issue for a few years and I've been reluctant to drill a hole in the plastic - the magnet trick worked like a charm!!! If it happens again, I'll know what to do. By the way, the dealership said it would be about $1000 to put in a new instrument panel to fix the problem. My PA looks as good as new now.
  • My Park Ave will not shift from 2nd to third. Bought used. OD has never shifted properly
  • andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,910
    hey guys. I picked up a 2000 Park Ave Ultra on December 12, so I figured I should drop by in here and say hi! Previous car was a 2000 Intrepid, bought brand-new, that ran fine, but alas, was totaled when someone pulled a hit-and-run on it in a restaurant parking lot.

Here's a pic of the new beast...

It had around 56,300 miles on it when I bought it, although I've only put about 260 on it since I've had it. It was previously owned by a 65 year old lady who bought it new, and traded on a 2010 LaCrosse CXS. Hopefully it'll last a long, long time!
  • Thanks so much for the "magnet" method to fix this. I just fixed my father in law's 1998 Park Avenue that had a fuel needle and temperature needle stuck below the stop peg. You just saved me a lot of time. I was able to rotate the fuel needle with a magnet in about 20 seconds, the temperature gauge was a little trickier but with some patience, it took about 10 minutes to nudge the needle counterclockwise. A great trick!
  • 95 Park avenue will not shift from second to third or OD. Would changing filter help or is it shot ?
  • ggeeooggeeoo Posts: 94
    Hey guys:

I used a 8" long drill bit I got 15 years ago at Wright Hardware in Costa Mesa
    CA so I also made it 1/8" drill size ,I like the plug idea I might use it.. My hole is so
    small that it only the size of paper clip. If my gas gets under 1/4 tank it does
    the same thing over and over again so I keep the paper clip in the junk box between
    the seats. Has anyone had to replace or repair the cup holder yet? Has anyone
    got the oil pressure read out un working? 99 Park Ultra
    >Has anyone got the oil pressure read out un working?

What does the oil pressure do? A common failure of the sender is to peg the unit or give a readout of 120 psi on the DIC. The sender screws in above the oil filter on the normally aspirated 3800s.
    You might do troubleshooting by removing the wire or wires at the sender.
    Wow, I just started experiencing the vibration ,The car original tires were Goodyear.
    What type size are you using ? At the moment I have a mishmash of 3 different
    brands. I thought it might be the shocks. I will try the Michelin's..
    Been there done that and replaced the switch no help. I have been told it more than likely at DIC or instrument panel short. Next time I see a 99 junker maybe I will
    grab the entire panel. Now that I have visited this great forum I now how to remove it!
    # 3 happened to me too. I also went into the door and found the broken pot metal
    finger the actuates the rod that interfaces with the door latch. In my process the
    latch lock male part in the door. I simply drilled a small hole into the pot metal
    of the outside door handle and screwed a brass screw I had in my junk can. Used
    Electrical tape to make the lever the right outside demension. Mechanically that
    metal finger broke because the door latch was dying . The Door Latch is manufactured
    with two parts sandwiched together the actuator helt together by 2" rivets. The Actuator can be bought at auto-zone for 19.00. You can drill out the rivets than
    attach the actuator by 2" threaded stove bolts and nuts 1/8". Plug in the plugs
    and attach the lock done. In my case the actuator the ELECTRICAL part died
    the door latch was fine. I do not like to paint and match because the diamond
    white triple coat is a bear to get right.
    I just hold my remote ,point it toward the homelink press the buttom front garage door
    1 middle for gate and rear for garage door two. Hit the reset button on DIC and it is done. If you wish I can scan the original owners manual for you.
  • Can anyone tell me how to resest the Tire Pressure Monitoring System? I had a flat that I fixed a week ago. All the tires are at 32 psi and the system is still telling me that "tire pressure is low". I tried to hit the reset button to the left of the steering wheel but it does nothing! I bought the car in June of 09 with 122,000 miles on it and it did not come with a manual. Any help would be great, thanks in advance. P.S. shortly after buying the car I had to have the ckp sensor replaced. And because of the GREAT advice here knew exactly what was wrong. Thanks guys.
    edited February 2010
    When the driver information center is showing the tire pressure, push the reset button and hold for about 5 seconds. It should reset that way.

Sign up at http://www.gm.com/gmownercenter/gm/ and you can read the owner manual on there. I tried to download one but haven't been successful.

After you register your vehicle, which you can do without VIN number, just make year etc., it has a little text area to let you download a pdf of the owner manual.

The manual is free. Do not pay for it anywhere.

You can send an email address to my email and I'll send the downloaded manual to you. Click on my user name at top of this post and read my profile; the email is at the end.
  • The tire pressure monitoring system uses the ABS wheel speed sensors to tell if one wheel is starting to spin faster than the others (which would occur if the tire pressure gets low). As a result, I believe you're supposed to reset it when the car is moving in a straight line, i.e. on the highway, so the computer can get the baseline data from the wheel sensors. With the tire pressure monitoring message displayed, hold down the reset button until it resets.
  • I just purchased a 99 park avenue and there is a noice in the dash that sounds like someone is pumping up a blood pressure monitor. It will do it for about a minute and then stop. Any ideas about this problem?
    Thanks,
    Mike
    My guess is you're hearing the electric actuators that move the doors inside the heater box.

Turn the heater to OFF. Then turn the key to OFF.

Turn key to ON, and see if the noise occurs after waiting several seconds.

Then turn the heater to ON and see if the noise occurs then.

You might have an actuator that's not working right or a gear is stripped or slipping inside. If the air direction choices work right and the temps adjust correctly, everything is probably okay.