Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick Park Avenue

Comments

• fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Thanks Pat for your reply to 2si2mn2jb. Your explanation to him was exactly what I was thinking. Lemon Laws do vary from state to state and that is why I referred him to "google.com".
    2si2mn2jb: I am sorry if offended you when I suggested that you might consider buying a new one. We all know that sometimes a "good" vehicle can have a defect but it does not necessarily make the total vehicle a failure. I was under the impression that you liked the Buick except for this one problem. I am in no way associated with Buick or General Motors. I was just trying to help you in your situation. The Lemon Law might help you if you can find the details of it in your respective States' laws. If your vehicle fits the
    description of the Lemon Law then you can file a complaint or see an attorney that specializes in this type of complaint. I hope this helps.
  • tnauglertnaugler Posts: 5
    Like so many others, my '99 PA Ultra vibrated at hwy speeds. It took 5 trips to the dealer and an escalation to Buick to get a "fix.". The fix (really a band-aid) was to replace the Goodyears with Michelins and carefully balance them on the car at a state of the art speed shop (Not the dealer). Any time there is front end work (flat tire repair, new tires, ...) this process will have to be repeated.

I'm convinced that this widespread symptom is the result of a longstanding design flaw; i.e., the natural frequency of the front suspension is equal to that of a tire rolling at highway speed. This will cause any imbalance in a front wheel to resonate way out of proportion to the actual imbalance. The Buick rep said that this (the PA Ultra) is a "Problem Platform" but refused to elaborate. Its really a shame because its a great car otherwise.
  • f2u8503f2u8503 Posts: 2
    At speeds over roughly 55 mph my 99 ultra has a somewhat faint whistling sound that resembles a tea kettle right before the kettle comes to a full boil.It does not whistle when it rains.
    The sound seems to come from the lower center of the dash, so I replaced the wiper blades and the passenger compartment dust/pollen filter. Changing the filter which at 50K was quite clogged seemed to reduce the excessive wind noise, but the whistling persists. Any ideas what this could be?
  • matluomamatluoma Posts: 18
    My parents asked me to research a decent car for highway travel. (Current vehicle GMC truck) they are looking to add a 'curiser' car at a reasonable price.

Typical list of Wants/Needs:
    Dependable,
    Better mileage than GMC, 25 +
    Easy to get in & out of.
    Lux features (optional),
    power to merge/pass (on demand)
    Maintainable (backyard mechanic)

I though the 92 - 94 PA Ultra would a be decent fit (nice ride, decent gas mileage, power on demand, plenty of space, luxury amenities, reasonable price - especially compared to the GMC.)

But after reading that the Eaton supercharger is expected to live to 100K - I am wondering on my decision.... would a regular PA be a better choice. (92 - 95 Cars seem to be at or near 100K miles - so an update to supercharger would be additional $$.)

Suggestions are welcome.... especially from those who have had multiple PA's over the years.
    Thanks!
    Mat
  • I sent a registered letter to G.M. and they asked that I bring the car into the dealer for them to again attempt to fix. They have had the car for 9 days and continue to say they cannot find the problem. They are now trying new hubs and rotors. I feel that they have torn this car apart. Although I know that I may be swimming upstream against the tide, I am one phone call away from calling my attorney. This has gone on for 11 months. 2si2mn2jb
  • rotaranrotaran Posts: 10
    Be a contestant for the most beautiful Park Avenue 2002. Send a picture of your car (model year 91-96/97 only!) to:

rotaran@web.de

The voting will have 3 steps:
    1. Collecting the contestants photos and showing them on my web site: www.buickparkavenue.de.vu
    2. End of collecting and start to vote on autumn.
    3. End of the vote in mid December and proclamation of the winner on Christmas.
    Thank you for your support.
    Best regards,
    Mike.
  • scooby1798scooby1798 Posts: 1
    I reently purchased my second Buick - this time a PA. I have a few concerns, and was hoping that someone might be able to help me out. First, is there any adjustment or diagnosis for the ride control? It seems to be extremely "floaty" with a lot of side-to-side action. I test drove several PA's, and they didn't tend to do this. It doesn't have the touring suspension
    Secondly, It tends to buck and skip when trying to excelerate. Let off and it is ok. If you punch the gas, it bucks and skips like a bad plug or wire. I read in here about a PROM. Is that something different? I have an appointment for it at the dealer for next week, but was hoping to learn a little about the PA prior to that. THanks!

Mike
  • 2si2mn2jb2si2mn2jb Posts: 6
    After 11 days in the shop, the service dept. assured us that our trip to Philly would be uneventful. After our vibrating trip to Philly, I refused to return any calls to GM or the dealership and contacted my attorney. My wife, who is smarter than I, picked up the phone and proceded to let the owner of the dealership have it. Mind you, that my wife rarely speaks above a whisper. The next morning the zone manager called and spoke to my wife and again the walls of our house shook. That afternoon, the zone manager called back and said that they had found a 2002 with the same specs as our 2001. We drove the car and immediately realized what comfort and pleasure we had been missing. It was like night and day. GM then made an offer, that even an old hard head like me , could not refuse. GM and the dealership, the owner who did stand up for us, finally stood up to the plate. The moral of the story is that you can fight city hall and GM if you have a legitimate complaint, with good records, persistence, and a wife who rarely gets mad. We just took delivery of our 2002 PA and are very happy. Happy motoring to all. 2si2mn2jb PS fredvh, I apologize again.
  • eldoroddoeldoroddo Posts: 1
    I have 1992 Park Ave and the same problem, did anyone of you found the problem?
  • mqshawmqshaw Posts: 1
    Hi, my father in-law has just told me that he is selling his 1997 Buick Park Avenue, and was wondering if I am interested. Since I know nothing about them I would like to ask for your advice.

The car has 108K on the clock, and he is asking for $7K. He says that it is in great condition (and I trust him). I have looked at edmunds and the kbb, they both suggest a resale price of $8.5-$9.5K for about the same mileage.

I have read on your message board that people have had problems with the Park Avenue. Please can you advise me what you think.
  • Wife needs a road car...I found a 91 PA with 85K miles....clean in and out, but I need some history from former owners to let me know about this car. We really can't afford to make a mistake because school teachers don't make a lot of money and I wouldn't want her to have a bad experience on trips to help her folks.
    Thanks for your help!
    dm
  • mschoep1mschoep1 Posts: 4
    The auto climate control does work properly. Exterior temperature is usually higher than 150 degrees and the interior seems to cool only on AUTO.

Is this a costly repair?
  • After driving a couple of hours at highway speed with AC on Auto, the air flow through the vents stops and the fan motor continues to blow. Acts like it is freezing up, change setting to vent and slowly air flow starts up and eventually sudden burst of cold air and everything works for a couple of hours. Any help out there, dealer can't duplicate the problem.
  • I PURCHASED A 98 PARK AVENUE WITH 36K MILES IT NOW HAS 48K MILES BUT IT HAS A PROBLEM. IT HESITATES WHEN TAKING A CORNER AND THE ACCELERATOR PETAL DOES NOT RESPOND WHEN ACCELERATING. IT FEELS LIKE IT HAS A GOVERNOR ON THE MOTOR NOT ALLOWING YOU TO ACCELERATE TO THE SPEED YOU WANT. THE ONLY WAY TO RECOVER IS TO TAKE YOUR FOOT OFF THE ACCELERATOR PETAL AND CONTINUE ON. SAME THING HAPPENS AT A COMPLETE STOP WHEN YOU ACCELERATE IT HESITATES AGAIN. THE DEALER CANNOT FIND ANY PROBLEM WITH THE CAR. THE ON BOARD COMPUTER DOES NOT REGISTER ANY CODES. ITS LIKE A DOG CHASING ITS TAIL. IF ANYBODY HAS ANY ADVICE OR SUGGESTIONS ON THIS MATTER PLEASE EMAIL ME AT JORGETHEPRESSMAN@AOL.COM. THE CAR IS GOING TO BE DIAGNOSED BY AN INDEPENDENT MECHANIC OUTSIDE OF THE DEALERSHIP.
  • During a failed inspection the following problem was found: at about 2200 rpm in PARK or in NEUTRAL a loud banging occurs (sound like in the transmission area to me) like the car is trying to jump into gear. Anyone have a similar problem or suggesion? I have about 69K miles.
  • I have a '92 PA on which I recently replaced the Supercharger nose assembly (where the belt runs). It was making a medium grinding noise even at idle. Dealer wanted $2400+- to replace the whole supercharger. I bought the replacement part from magnusonproducts.com. It cost around $350 and solved the problem. Complete assembly at the time was about $100. At first I tried to just replace the nose assembly but could not get one bolt out. I then removed the complete supercharger and replaced the part. I did this on a Sunday and realized I should have gotten a gasket. I patched it with sealer but would recommend a new one (if only I had thought it out a bit). The supercharger has a lot of parts to disconnect to remove but if you take good notes and have a reasonable amount of engine repair experience it is not too bad. Send me a note if you are interested in more details. I have about 4000 miles on the new nose assembly with no grinding noises.
  • The new assembly from magnusonproducts.com was about $1100 not the mistyped $100.
  • I found out the loud bang was backfire not a transmission problem. We changed the Oxygen Sensor and put a computer on the system. The only negative read out is the exhaust is Rich. I will be taking it into the shop to determine what the backfire is about.
  • I have a 92 PA w/162K and a grinding noise coming from the supercharger. Any details on the insallation of a replacement supercharger would be appreciated.