Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm

Comments

• I drive a 2001 Prizm with about 94,000 miles. When I came home from work late last evening (Chicago area) I could unlock the driver side door but then could not shut the door. I wiped the condensation off the door frame and still could not shut the door. I drove home slowly, very slowly holding the door shut! What sort of repair bill will I face? Will I have to have the entire door replaced? I had a problem with this door about week ago during a cold spell and after I wiped and scraped away the ice the door shut. But this time it sounded like the inner latch mechanism broke. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • rshrsh Posts: 2
    I would like to replace the fuse for the fuel pump on a 1992 geo prizm but don't know which fuse to replace. Can anyone tell me?
  • dj_mrdj_mr Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2000 prizm that only has 35k miles on it and I have a couple problems i dont want to dig into till I get some input. Problem 1 is that the drivers side window goes down just fine but when you go to put it up it only goes up about 1/2 inch and then you have to wait about 1/2 hour and it will go up another half inch and so on. takes forever. does anyone think the problem is just the motor or what? second issue is the fan for the heater only works on high. no other setting works but high. any ideas as to what to replace? :confuse:
  • hi, know this is old thread but had same problem question with NGK. Except for the NGK rep i just spoke with said to use the gap stated in the manual but I pointed out that the spark plug manual written by NGK stated not to adjust the plug gap more than +- .003 or it would not work properly. He said then it would probably be best to leave them at .042, because these days the spark plugs are better made and make more spark? ....OK... thanks.. was my reply. Anyway how did your plugs work out and what gap do you remember using? Thanks
  • No, this doesn't sound right. Like you said the parts are reasonably priced on these cars and they are not THAT hard to do. Labor is on average 65.00 an hour. Ask the person how much again. If they quote 1600 dollars ask how much the cost of the part and can you bring the part yourself. Then ask them if the shocks cost (Just saying) 500.00 then why is it going to take 17 hours to fix?
    There are other charges like lift charge etc. but they will see right away you have an idea of what is going on. Also buy for (@19.95) a Haynes Manual from an auto store and read the section on trouble shooting and before getting work done read the section on that part. Even if you don't understand you can have an idea of what is to be done and how long it will take. they will see you know something and will many times drop prices dramatically. Also, you will read and see how easy some things are to check yourself. Also get quotes from different shops.
  • This is dumb question.
    I have a 2000 Chevy Prozm.
    I lost my key and had to have it re-cut at the dealer. After bringing it back to my car, I found it did not work. Loking at the key closer, I noticed that the Key was not symmetrical, the cuts on each side of the key did not quite match near the tip.
    My questions is are there keys suppose to be symmetrical, meaning that the parts department screwed up, or could there be another reason the key does not work? I've owned this car since it was new,
    Do you think the parts department will admit any mistake? They made me sign a waiver in case the key did not work.

-David
  • ruddneckruddneck Posts: 23
    My key is not quite symmetrical. Close, but the sides aren't a mirror image of each other.

I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but did you try both sides of the key; i.e., take it out, spin it 180 degrees, and reinsert it?

If it still doesn't work, take it back and tell them so. I'm not sure how close these are to house keys, but if analogous, maybe they can grind it down little by little until it works, just like a hardware store can for a house key (which is where I had my spare Prizm key made).
  • agarg98agarg98 Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have 1996 Geo Prizm. with auto transmission, It has 93,000 miles. The problem is that after I drive a few miles(4 or 5) my brake pedal seems to get hard and my car will not accelerate, all my brakes are locked. After sitting for a while, my car will go with no problem, but again after a few miles I get the same problem.
    The machenic has chnged the Hose, Calipers, and Roaders, but I stil have the same problem. One machenic is asking to change the Brake Master Cylinder.. kindly suggest..
    Regards
    Atul
  • agarg98agarg98 Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I have 1996 Geo Prizm. with auto transmission, It has 93,000 miles. The problem is that after I drive a few miles(4 or 5) my brake pedal seems to get hard and my car will not accelerate, all my brakes are locked. After sitting for a while, my car will go with no problem, but sometimes again after a few miles I get the same problem.
    The machenic has chnged the Hose, Calipers, and Roaders, but I stil have the same problem. One machenic is asking to change the Brake Master Cylinder and the other Vacuum Booster..... kindly suggest.. agarg98@rediffmail.com
    Regards
    Atul
  • This really sounds like a problem with the booster and or the master cylinder rod . It sounds like your booster is activating as vacuum builds while driving instead of only when the brake pedal is pressed. More than likely a bad valve in the brake booster.
  • jdesauteljdesautel Posts: 1
    My 95 prizm LSI was running great then started sputtering about 3000 RPM occasionally! It died one day and then the mech. put a new ignition coil in and it fired up! Now it sputters between 2500-3500 RPM unless you give it full throttle! Spark is good and fuel is good!!! What could it be????? Its not like a cylinder misfire, its like the entire engine shuts off then on. Thanks Jim
  • finzzfinzz Posts: 40
    Jim, I wonder if it could be your Oxygen Sensor? I have a '94 and the senor can be found looking str8 down the exhaust manifold.

I could be way off, but it's an often-overlooked item that when it goes, bad things happen.

Also, if you have a Haynes manual, take a look at the section regarding trouble-shooting via the ECM.(i think). The books shows how to check things out using (I'm not kidding) a paper clip and reading the number of time and sequence of the Check Engine light.

Might also consider having another mechanic look it over - not to say anything bad about your current mechanic but, like a doctor, getting a 2nd opinion can be priceless.

Best of luck and but that manual...!
  • hi guys and gals.....

i own a 2000 chevrolet prizm base.....

im trying to figure out, how to get through the firewall into the cabin.......

i have some fog lights i want to hook up.....i can do all the wiring and set up, i just need to get through the firewall..........

does anyone know how to get through the firewall?........

any and all help is welcome and needed.......

thanx.....
  • jferra87jferra87 Posts: 2
    I own a 99 Chevrolet Prizm and am looking into a motor swap. The current engine, 1ZZ-FE, runs fine but I need more from the alternator and 120hp isn't doing it for me either.

I am quite fond of the Cobalt SS, particularly its engine, Ecotec LSJ. I have found an LSJ for sale but I would first like to know how difficult (and how much $) it is to get this motor under my hood. ...The LSJ comes with its factory automatic transmission...

I know that the 1ZZ-FE is a Toyota engine and Ecotec's are GM, but I think the mounts should be somewhat similar.

Can anyone help me out?
  • kruitsonkruitson Posts: 1
    the coolant recovery tank on my 95 prizm popped out of its holder and melted against the engine. I cant seem to find a replacement. Does the one from a 95 corolla work?
  • geobluegeoblue Posts: 71
    It is too old a post but let e answer: O/D off light comes on when it disengages, so if you want it on see to it that the light is off.
    jdesautel,
    You are right. I tried doing it yesterday. But make sure the key is off when you put the paper clip/jumper wires in. Or else you would blow fuses as I did.
  • On my 1997 Geo Prism a dash light that says "O/D off" suddenly appeared and my stereo went out at the same time. What does this mean and is it serious?
    Please help me soon as this is my only source of transportation.... HELP!!!!
    Thank you so much.
    Hi,

It is probably because of a blown fuse. The fuse box is under the hood, on the driver's side. Black box. Open it and see if any fuse is blown. You can pull them (colored plastics) it is like the inside of a light bulb. At autozone/partsamerica.com/checkers auto for 2-3 dollars. You can replace the fuses yourself instead of paying 50-100 dollar dollars for it.

If I had your e-mail I would have sent you the photo of fuses/fusebox and which fuse to change.

Hope this helps.

:)
    This is a picture of a blown fuse: http://www.societyofrobots.com/images/electronics_fuse_blown.jpg

Good fuses:
    http://www.electronics123.net/amazon/pictures/afu.jpg

A wire is supposed to arch in the middle of the fuse, if that arch is broken and the wire does not meet in the middle then it means the fuse is blown.

Find the blown fuse and take it to autozone/checkers etc and ask them to give you the exact same fuse.
  • You are AWESOME... went to Shucks and all is well....
    Thank you for taking the time to help me out.
    I am female and know NOTHING about cars. You are a Godsend!!!!!
    Connie
  • did you ever find out what the problem was?? i have the same thing happening to me....and for somereason my coolant temp sensor or switch the single pronged one keeps getting burned out (it controls my gauge)
  • I'm having trouble starting my car, but it's not the engine. It's just really hard to get the key to turn all the way, it takes a lot of wiggling, asking nicely and sometimes swearing but eventually it does turn all the way. My mechanic said it was a tumbler (?) and a friend said it was it was more than likely the screw at the back; which is probably loose or worn out. My ignition wiggles a little bit. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem and if so how did they fix it... I'd like to try and do this myself (with the help of my friend) before I dish out several hundred dollars. Please help! It's a 97 geo prizm. The guy that had it before me used loads of graphite powder but it doesn't help.
  • I having great difficulty locating a power steering cap for my '97 prism in NYC.
    search in several junk yards. There must be an easier way that visiting every junk yard in NYC. Can someone help?
  • I have been a victim of two mis-diagnosis of a problem that continues after spending several hundred dollars. My '97 prism will consistently stall when decelerating and stopping, however it will immediately restart. Mechanic A) thought it was the fuel injectors and manually cleaned them but with no improvement whatsoever.
    Mechanic (B) thought it was the distributor after testing it turns out that also failed to make a difference. lastly mechanic (C) says it it's the throttle control unit, before I spend another $ on this problem, I want to here other opinions. If two heads are better than one, than it follows that many heads are best. PLEASE HELP !
  • I have a 1995 Geo Prizm. The car runs great and idles very smooth. But I have one problem and could not figure it out. Sometimes, after shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, and stepping on the gas. The car does not accelerate. It's coasting for few seconds then engine kicks in then the car accelerates. The engine does not rev up during this happens, and it is not struggled or anything. It seems it happens only after from 1st to 2 nd gear. I almost get hit from the car behind when this happens. Any one have the same problem???
    Thank you very much!!!
  • How does your car idle? did you check the idle air control valve? when your foot off the gas pedal, the throttle valve is closed, but idle air control valve allows a small amount of air to pass thru to keep the engine running. hope this help.
  • I have a 1995 Geo Prizm. The car runs great and idles very smooth. But I have one problem and could not figure it out. Sometimes, after shifting from 1st to 2nd gear, and stepping on the gas. The car does not accelerate. It's coasting for few seconds then engine kicks in then the car accelerates. The engine does not rev up during this happens, and it is not struggled or anything. It seems it happens only after from 1st to 2 nd gear. I almost get hit from the car behind when this happens. Any one have the same problem???
    Thank you very much!!!
  • yes, you can have it done withing 30 minutes. I have mine repalced last week and it took 20 minutes. When you torque the manifold (5 bolts) torque wrench and set at 25 ftlbs. The 2 bolts near the O2 sensor, set at 32ftlbs.