Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm

Comments

• keithh1keithh1 Posts: 12
    I'm looking to buy a 1998 Chevy Prizm with an auto trans. I thought this was a 4spd, but it appears to be a 3spd and doesn't appear to have a locking torque converter. Is this correct? Thanks.
    Keith
  • geobluegeoblue Posts: 71
    There are 3 speed a/t, and 3 speed+O/D a/t for this car.And both transmissions (A131L and A245E) use a lock-up torque converter. I would suggest you get a 2000 or newer Prizm with 1.8 lt engine and 4 speed auto or manual transmission. Because these have VVT-i engines which save gas. However older Prizms/Corollas are more reliable than newer ones. If I were you I would find a nice 1995-1996-1997 model year Prizm/Corolla.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    However older Prizms/Corollas are more reliable than newer ones My experience has shown that my 89 and 99 are both super reliable. My relative's 04 and co-workers' 05 and 07 have been perfect, and Consumer Reports agree that all Corollas are extremely reliable. Go with any Corolla/Prizm that has been well-maintained, and it will be fine.
  • joyce22joyce22 Posts: 1
    I have a 2000 geo prizm that has a serious problem that 4 mechanics can't figure out. The engines skips and wants to stall all the time. it sucks up gas and has no power going up hills. I have been told it is the fuel injectors or the computer. The cel has been on constantly and will blink on and off when I am stepping on the gas to go up any hill. Can anone help me?
    tjjxs :confuse:
  • take it to a chevy dealer to have it diagnosed properly. they have tools to read codes.
    It is not a Chevy engine. Why take it to Chevy dealer? Take it to anyone who knows Toyotas well.

It might be a clogged fuel filter. Incorrect idle speed, or damp/damaged distributor components, faulty or incorrectly gapped spark plugs, faulty spark plug wires, faulty emissions system components, vacuum leak in the fuel injection system, intake manifold or vacuum hoses.
    I do not think it is because of the ECM/computer. My bet is distributor.But before that check the spark plugs and wires.Easier/cheaper to do.
  • meekomeeko Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 Chevy prizm. When the weather was cool sometimes it wouldn't start. I would turn the key and the lights on the dash would go on but it didn't turn over or make a sound. After a few tries it would turn over. Now that the weather has warmed it starts every time. I replaced my battery about 1 month ago.
  • meekomeeko Posts: 4
    I have a 1998 Chevy prism. Lights on gear shift did not go on at night when I turned on my headlights. Pulled onto a sloped driveway put on the brakes on and it lit up. I normally park on a fairly flat surface.
  • ru4itru4it Posts: 1
    ok so i have pulled the starter from my '92 prizm but there doesnt seem to be a spot to pull it completly out. there is three things in my way those would be, the passenger CV joint, the suspension brace, and the intake. if someone has an idea on how to completely remove it so that i can replace it plz respond :)
  • meatypeteymeatypetey Posts: 9
    Hi - I'm new to this Forum stuff - WooHoo!! I have a 2001 Prizm w/ 1.8 liter. Is that a toyota engine or a mistubishi engine. I have a knocking that sounds like lifter noise, but can't find any info on replacement lifters??

Also, My wife and have had four prizms. One was good for 250,000 miles +. Two others met with untimely deaths, and my fourth is going strong...so far!!

Thanks for your help!!
    Chilton says:

'1/Disconnect the negative battery cable,
    2/Remove the air cleaner assembly with hose,
    3/Disconnect all the wiring from the starter terminals,
    4/Remove the starter mounting bolts. Remove the starter.'

For 4A-F, 4A-FE and 7A-FE engines. No mention of CV joints, suspension brace or intake.
    It is a Corolla engine.If it is 2001 it must be VVT-i type engine, with variable valve timing intelligence.

What is the odometer reading on this Prizm?
  • WHO EVER HAS the MANUAL for the 1992 GEO Prizm.. I NEED The wiring for the radio.. PLEASE HELP FAST.. volleyballdrew2@yahoo.com
  • dadtofourdadtofour Posts: 3
    I have replaced the starter on my 94 prizm (twice) Try pulling the starter out from on top instead of dropping it down.
  • glenpointeglenpointe Posts: 23
    you can get it out from the top. I had done it few times.
  • hey im new to this but i have a 96 base prizm w/1.6L manual. and i was curious if anyone knew if the 1.8L engine could be swapped out without any fabrication. plus my clucth is about to go so i figured i would do it all in one full swoop if it worked.
  • well i have a 96 geo prizm that has 140000 miles and is having the same problem. i have no smoke or any leaks. the only reason by what you were saying with the climate is that i like in northern utah/southern idaho and the weather is never the same. would this make sense at all?
    same here! the 1.8L engine in my 1996 prizm burns 1quart every 1000 miles. no smokes or leaks and it runs great.
    1998 Chevy Prizm, same thing only more so. No oil in the water, no smoke that I've noticed (i.e., idling), no puddles under the car. Hmmm.
    Keith
    The radio is shot in my 98 Prizm. If you leave it ON when you turn the car off, the next time you start it up the radio squeals loudly and doesn't play. If you turn it off before turning the car off, it works when you start up again, but the front speakers crackle and pop. No snap though, or I could sell it as breakfast cereal. Hmmm. Anyway, a generic cheapie radio and speakers would do fine, but I can't find an adapter plate at the local Wal Mart that states it's for a 98 Chevrolet Prizm. Toyota Corolla, yes, but not Prizm. Will the Corolla adapter work on the Prizm or did they change the facia panels?
    Keith
    I have an extra cassette radio from my 1999 Prizm. For $20, you can have it. If you buy the 2010to 2012 prizm radio, it will not fit because they changed the connector in 2010. The Corolla radio will not fit in your prizm.
    Sounds good to me. To clarify, what are the 2010 to 2012 Prizm radios? Not the year designations, I'd guess since it's only 2009 now and they don't make Prizms anymore. I'm new to this Prizm stuff. Questions: How would we work the transaction? I do PayPal, if you do. Where are you located?
    How much is shipping to 65536?
    Keith
  • pashokpashok Posts: 1
    i have recently got a 96 geo prizm. The fan made bunch of noise, i replaced the blower motor ( housing had debree in it) but the air still comes out very slow even on a high speed. Can someone help? thanks
    did you check the cabin filter?
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,668
    It does not have a cabin air filter.
  • chills71chills71 Posts: 1
    I've got a 2001 Prism that I have owned since 2004. Its got a whopping 51,000 miles on it (I'll own it forever I'm guessing). There are three problems with the car at this point (well one I have already have gotten the answer to, a blower motor problem, that I will address in the next week) another problem being the sunroof doesn't work any longer (not too high on the list of priorities) and then the problem I am hoping for an answer to....

The engine seems to have a throaty, diesel-ish sound, especially noticable on wet days and when accelerating. This noise does not occur when the car is in park and revved, only when driving. My brother-in-law said he had a car which sounded similar (from my description of the sound, he hasn't heard it himself) and it ended up being a problem with the upper manifold, a costly repair. Any ideas on what this problem might be and ballpark on repair?

Thanks

S. Hills
  • the wire harness you need is toyota. I had the same problem when I tried to hook up a stock gm stereo
  • Replaced both motor mounts - passenger side mount was the defective one. Low speed noise gone.

A/C noise, took fan-motor out and found acorns in the fan cage - problem fixed. Remember to disconnect battery to disable airbag for 2 minutes before taking out glove box and some trim pieces to remove motor. 15 minute job
    Hi, what were your complaints/the symptoms? Just noise? When? I feel strong vibration especially on the steering wheel while the car is parked or stopped at lights, not so much while driving. Can this be the result of bad motor mounts? What to do to diagnose for sure? How much did it cost you to have the mounts replaced? Is it an expensive job? My car is a 94 Geo Prizm. Thanks.