Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm

Comments

• I just bought a 97 prizm with a 3 speed auto. Looked hard for a stick but could not find one and was in a jam for a car. The car I bought has low miles, looks and runs great. My problem is, when I pull out from a stop, the car gives a noticeable thump, like hitting a bump, when I get up to 10 mph, then no other problems. It does not do it all of the time, but gradual accelerations are worse than fast ones.
    The dealer told me it was a dirty modulating valve in the trans and ran a cleaner through it. That did not seem to help much. I do not know if it is a problem to deal with or live with. Has anyone seen this problem before?
  • iabuoyiabuoy Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 1996 Prizm, and really enjoy the car. However, the defroster only seems to clear the side windows for the front seats, not the rear. This makes changing lanes on the Maine Turnpike on February mornings a real adventure. Anyone experience a similar problem? How did you solve it? Many thanks.
  • mazda323mazda323 Posts: 66
    Try to keep the car as dry as possible. Use rubber floor mats and get rid of any sluch that accumulates on them. Also, don't send any heat to the floor. This will melt any snow/sluch into water and make it evaporate. The suspended water vapour will then condensate on the first cold surface it encounters. In your case, it's the rear side windows, since they don't receive any heat from the defroster.
    HTH
  • prizmanprizman Posts: 2
    Have a 1 week old base model that pulls left at freeway speeds. Dealer alignment did not fix.
    Any suggestions?
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    mine pulls too, but not all the time.

check tire inflation, sometimes that can be a culprit.
  • dottinodottino Posts: 1
    The majority of reports are regarding 1994 Geo Prizm manual transmissions. I wonder why? Cuurrently, I have a 1994 Geo Prizm with automatic transmission, which has been replaced twice with a new one each time.

I wouldn't recommend this car to my worst enemy.
  • sidrcsidrc Posts: 2
    I recently had a good-quality after-market stereo installed on my new 1999 Prizm. The cassette player - probably the tape head - is since picking up what sounds very much like electromagnetic noise from the spark plugs. No noise when the engine is turned off. I have heard that some people have come across this problem with their Toyota Corollas and Geo/Chevy Prizms. Any of you have any suggestions? The stereo installer has already replaced three brands and models of stereo and has tried various types of electromagnetic shielding, but with no perceptible effect. It looks very much like the car has a rather high level of EM radiation. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks so much.
  • sidrcsidrc Posts: 2
    I recently had a good-quality after-market stereo installed on my new 1999 Prizm. The cassette player - probably the tape head - is since picking up what sounds very much like electromagnetic noise from the spark plugs. No noise when the engine is turned off. I have heard that some people have come across this problem with their Toyota Corollas and Geo/Chevy Prizms. Any of you have any suggestions? The stereo installer has already replaced three brands and models of stereo and has tried various types of electromagnetic shielding, but with no perceptible effect. It looks very much like the car has a rather high level of EM radiation. Any ideas or thoughts? Thanks so much.
  • shishi Posts: 6
    I have a one week old Prizm, also felt a slight pull to the left. Didn't do anything to it yet though.
  • eeqleeql Posts: 2
    I want to buy a 93 Geo Prizm, did anybody know something about it? and how much is it for 89k?

thanks,
  • lallylally Posts: 5
    My Prizm is 3 weeks old and is pulling to the left too! This must be a "Feature".
  • ldislerldisler Posts: 82
    I own a 94 prizm lsi with a 5 spd and 1.8 engine,love this car 73k miles and only problem was a bad starter at 70k.with the 5 spd and 1.8 the car it quick.
    Just found a 97 LSI with 1.8 and auto and door locks with 53k on it,bought it as a second car for my parents.car has all the service records and is in great shape.paid $4700 I think it is a bargain, any other thoughts on this price. thanks
  • snitselasnitsela Posts: 47
    I recently purchased a 1998 Prizm with 26K miles. Upon test driving the car it pulled hard to the right, if you were to let go of the steering wheel, you would be in the ditch for sure. The dealer performed an alignment and was unable to cure the pulling. He moved the tires around and found the pulling to move with a specific tire. ANSWER: Bad belt in the tire, and wholla it goes straight down the road now. The first thing I will do and would do when buying this car: Replace the tires, the factory tires are pieces of crap and will drive and wear like it! No snow traction to speak of. They also make a whole lotta noise going down the road.

Bill
  • twk2twk2 Posts: 7
    I have a '90 Prizm and the new car tires were the only ones to skid on me. They lost 10 lbs air/mo. and lasted only 28k mi. I use Pep Boys 4 for $100 and they are great (no plug for Pep Boys--make sure they install long stems so you can add air).
    Maybe the manufactures buy seconds-- we see a name brand and are impressed.
  • I am just about to purchase a 1996 Geo Prizm. It has 48,000 mi,auto,ac and a sunroof. The asking price is $8995. Is that a good price? How much should I try to talk them down? I know this car has great reviews. Also, anyone who has owned one...what kind of repairs should I expect in the near future?
    Thanks!
  • snitselasnitsela Posts: 47
    I purchased a 1998 Prizm with 26,000 miles, auto, ac, cd player, rear defrost for $9850. The dealer was asking the usual $12995. I have seen plenty of 98 and 99 Prizms advertised with pricing in that range. Most of the newer used cars are rental car sales. I looked quite awhile to find this car, as it is a one owner, bought, serviced, and traded back in at the same dealer I purchased from. I would look in the Edmunds listing for pricing on the 96 Prizm, but if you can afford $8995 look for a newer lower mileage Prizm. If not, you can probably get the 96 for thousands less.

Provided the Prizm you buy was taken care of, you can expect the regular maintenance stuff with no major expenses.

Bill
  • ssautterssautter Posts: 2
    I am looking for anyone who has had a good Prizm ownership experience--leased or bought. I am working on an ad campaign for Chevy Prizm and would like to incorporate owner testimonials. If you have anything good to say about Prizm's value, safety, dependability, quality, or overall vehicle, please e-mail me at ssautter@cecom.com. I appreciate any feedback.
  • I bought a New 99 Prism in July 99. It now has 20,000 mile on it and is just great. No problems, no concerns, great gas mileage (38 highway, 33 city), 5 speed is wonderful. Had no troubles in the PA snow this winter with stock tires. Motor has the "normal" whine. All I do is drive it, change the oil, and rotate the tires. I praise this car daily to all who will listen. My next purchase will be trading in my 95 RAM on a Tundra.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    I knew I wasn't the only one who thought the stock tires were complete garbage.
  • Hi,

I bought a 2000 Prizm LSi in January. While I was researching my vehicle purchase, I read plenty of disparaging comments and reviews of the tires which came standard with the Prizm (Firestone FR680).

When I bought my car, I drove across the street to NTB and had 4 new Blizzack winter tires installed on steel wheels. The winter tires were great during the days when the weather was nasty.

I commute 100 miles round trip from Portsmouth, NH to Scarborough, ME so good tires are important to me. Plus, the alloy wheels on my older car were ruined by winter road salt and I didn't want my new wheels to suffer the same fate.

I just had 4 brand new Michelin X-One tires installed on my LSi alloy rims. The car handles quite nicely with these tires. Traction, wet or dry, is excellent. Michelin X-Ones are rated very highly by owners on Tirerack.com and they have a 6yr. unlimited mileage warranty (Treadwear rating of 620!).

The Prizm has an excellent suspension so with decent tires the ride / traction / handling is really quite good...

As the Firestones were unused I was able to sell them to an appreciative corolla owner for $100. They were less picky about tires and unable to afford Michelins so the arrangement worked out great for both of us!

To anybody complaining about the stock tires, I suggest getting a good set of aftermarket tires. If you've got the base Prizm with P175/65R14 tires I suggest going with the P185/65R15 size which is standard on the LSi.

L8tr...