Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevrolet (Geo) Prizm

Comments

• denniswadedenniswade Posts: 362
    Haven't lived in the white stuff since I moved out here from Detroit in 92. I doubt that a wide, low-profile tire is a very good idea in the winter, even with a FWD car. I'd check the tire reviews in the enthusiast mags before proceeding further. Or, just buy another set for winter (personally, I think that's the best way by far. As they say, anything worth doing is worth doing to excess!)
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    bought blizzaks for my last thunderbird.

didn't think i'd have to do it for a FWD car :(

the thought has crossed my mind because the blizzaks are phenomenal
  • Just bought a 94 Prizm, car seems great, runs good and on first hiway trip got 37mpg+, can't complain except for one thing. Is the loud road noise and engine noise normal for these cars. The more we drove the car the more we noticed the noise is really annoying and to crank the radio up to drown it out would make you go deaf. Actually at 60+mph it is the quitest per say as the engine rumbling is smoother, but the tire and road noise is still bad, unless you hit a hiway that is smooth blacktop and it is better, but if you hit hiway with a rough texture it's pretty much of a constant roar. At low speeds from 0-45 you hear the engine rumbling. We can live with it as the car was bought just as a work car, but was wondering if they all are noisy and if so does anyone know of any solutions to reduce it? In case anyone needs the specs, it is a std 4 door sedan, with the 3 speed auto basic model and a/c, with new Yokohama tires and drives perfectly straight and smooth.

Joe Drivealot
    Replace 'em. As far as the engine goes, you shouldn't even hear it unless you got the 3spd auto, which is entirely unfit for freeway travel, IMO.
  • regfootballregfootball Posts: 2,166
    THE 5 SPEED IS PRETTY QUIET
    as is the 4spd auto. I have one, with the TRD exhaust, and I can't hear the engine except when accelerating (and then I hear a LOT, which is the whole idea!).
  • carubiocarubio Posts: 2
    I've had my '99 Prizm since Oct, '99. It gets 37 mpg, which I really like. But I'm worried about a noise it makes, a clunking sound, every so often. I first noticed it when making left turns. I took it to the dealer, and, of course, they claimed they were unable to reproduce the problem. Since then, I've noticed the sound now only when making left turns, but also, during some right turns, and when taking a curve on the highway at high speeds. Anyone experienced this problem or know what might be causing it?

Cindy
  • liufeiliufei Posts: 201
    Sounds like either the cv-boots or the axle is wearing out. If its either of them, the noise will only get worse whenever you makes a turn, until it finally give out.
  • Definitely. I'd start with the CV joints. It would be rather unusual for them to wear out this early. They could very well be defective, could have been damaged in assembly, or not lubricated properly at the factory. Hopefully, you haven't crossed the mileage barrier on the warranty. They're quite expensive. Take the mechanic for a drive. Don't just drop it off.
  • carubiocarubio Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. I thought it might be the cv-joints, too. But it doesn't make the sound every time. And when it makes the sound, it only makes it once during the turn. What I've read about cv-joint problems indicates they are supposed to cause a continuous clicking sound while turning.

In fact, I did take the mechanic for a ride, but the car wouldn't make the sound at that time. I'm going to have to take it back again, I guess. Other people who have ridden in the car and driven it have noticed the noise. I'll just have to kidnap the mechanic and keep driving till he hears it, too. Anyway, luckily it is still under warranty.
  • Hi all... I just checked out the new 2001 Prizm website and noticed that the fuel economy for the new 2001 Prizm seems to have been bumped up from 38mpg to 41mpg (with 5-speed).

There's no mention about what has been done to the engine to gain this improvement. The car still has the 1.8L VVTi engine rated at 125hp.

It would be nice if the changes/adjustments could be retrofitted to the 2000 model...As I drive about 600 miles a week (maybe increasing to 1150 miles soon) an extra 3mpg would certainly be appreciated.

Currently, driving almost exclusively on the interstate at speeds of 75 - 79 mph I get about 38mpg....I'm sure that the Michelin X-one tires I put on the car are buying me a couple of mpg's (as they are claimed to do - less rolling resistance).

Hmmmm....Maybe that's what Chevy did - start equipping the Prizms with X-one's...

Any ideas?
  • squeak6squeak6 Posts: 28
    .... I have a 1998 Prizm 5 speed...with 72,000 miles on it... I drive a lot ..... I have had no major problems... but I only get 31mpg.... I drive 76 -80 mph while on the highways ( my tires are at the correct pressure)... I read post of people getting 38 mpg .... what do I need to do to get better gas mileage..??.....I just got the fuel injectors cleaned at jiffy lube and the trans-fluid changed... any other comments would help as well...
    with my 2000 LE until I switched to 16" rims and 45-series tires -- then it dropped to a consistent 30-32 mpg. I can stay at or near 70-80 on the way to work in the morning, but coming home there's a bit of a crawl here and there, so I'd say it's a good example of "mixed" or "city" driving, so I think the fuel mileage is fine. I've seen tests recently where the Focus and others got about 24-26 mpg in mixed driving, so I'm happy. Wheels and tires have a lot to do with it, but I'd rather pony up at the pump and keep my sticky skins than go back to those greaseball OEM tires.
  • Hi,

I just bought a 99 Prizm with automatic. How
    can I tell if it is the 3 or 4 speed automatic?

Thanks
  • wenyuewenyue Posts: 558
    4-spd automatic has an overdrive button on the shifter, 3-spd doesn't.

If it's prizm LSi, it comes with 4-spd, basline prizm comes with 3-spd (if I remember right).
  • ejc3ejc3 Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2001 Prizm and have 4K miles so far and have had no problems. Quite happy so far.
  • I just wanted to add my comments...

I have a '98 Prizm, bought it in Dec. '99. It's a three speed automatic, with pretty much no options...does power steering count? :o)

So far, I've had no major problems with it. The only things I don't like about it are that there's no rear defroster, that the radio sits so low, and that the way the front cup holders are placed, you can't use them and the ashtray at the same time, and you can't get to your radio if there's something in the cup holder. The only problem I've had, and this is probably specific to my car, is that my ignition seems to eat keys. I didn't get an original key when I bought the car, and I've gone through about three of them since. I currently have two keys to my car on my key ring; one only works in the driver's side door and the ignition, and the other only works in the passenger side door and the trunk.

My finace has a '99 Malibu, and I've even noticed a couple things mine has that his doesn't (and only a couple...lol). His rear seat belts don't lock out for use with a child seat (not good when I want to put my child in there), and he doesn't have the remote opening gas door thingie.

One last thing, just an out of curiosity thing really. I'm from Virginia, and, at least up here, I seem to have the only Chevy Prizm in existance that doesn't have the big blue Chevy bowtie thing on the trunk (between the top and the lock). All the Chevy's I've seen have it, and all the ones that don't are Geos. I was just curious if anyone else out there has a Chevy Prizm with no bowtie on the trunk.
  • ken126ken126 Posts: 39
    I bought a 1990 prizm new for $8700 dollars and 10 years later I have 295,000 miles on it, with the original engine, transmission and clutch!! The A/C is colder then my wifes new car and I never charged it once!! It starting to show some exterior battle scars but I will keep driving to it stops for good. By far one of the best built cars ever
  • I was very nervous when I bought this car. I kept wondering if I made the right decision or not. I had heard that Prizms were very reliable cars, and I just fell in love with my car the first time I saw it. I hope that everything goes well.
    don't worry yourself -- it's a Toyota. They last forever. The only way you'd get hurt is if you bought a car someone had beaten on badly and never changed the oil. Otherwise, it'll last far beyond the point you get sick of seeing it in your driveway!
  • I do love my Prizm a lot, and so far it rides beautifully. I feel much more at ease now. I was so apprehensive when I bought the car last week that he dealership called me yesterday to ask how everything was going! Thank you for responding to my post.
  • Is anyone out there having any problems with this light coming on. Mine has come on twice in the last 4000 miles and the dealer told me that it is that the gas cap was loose. It just came on again yesterday after another 700 miles and I know the gas cap is not loose because I pump my own gas with the engine shut off.
    while the U.S corolla only gets a face lift for 2001. Both japanese and European corolla get a total redesign.

Here are links to Toyota's offical website in Japan.

Interior shots:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/interior/index.html

Exterior shots:

http://www.toyota.co.jp/Showroom/All_toyota_lineup/CorollaSedan/exterior/index.html

The corolla is longer (5.3"), taller (3.4"). And it's $561.7 cheaper. Oh, and the engine is 135 hp (up 10 hp) using a updated version of the current 1.8L VVt-i engine.

U.S probably will not get it until 2003. I wonder will there be a Prizm clone when it arrives. Enjoy.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    At the 2003 all new Toyota Corolla. Unfortunately, Chevy will dicontinue the Prizm model after the 2002 model year, since the all new "Delta" platform Opel based Cavalier will be debuting in Chevy showrooms in late 2002. But here is the kicker....

Both current J-Body cars (Cavalier and Sunfire) will be finally discontinued after the 2002 model year. In 2003, the Cavalier nameplate will comeback once again under a totally different platform "Delta" and a car based on the upcoming German Opel Astra. The "Sunbird" name will be discontinued for good and Pontiac will get an entry level hybrid Sport/Station Wagon based on the upcoming 2003 Toyota Corolla. Both, the all new 2003 Corolla and the Pontiac/Toyota Corolla spin off model will be built in the same exact assembly line at the NUMMI venture GM/Toyota plant in Fremmont, California.

GM will be completely revamping their sagging entry level offerings by marketing cars outsourced from Opel (Europe) and Japan based (Toyota). Like I said, unfortunately, Chevy will no longer get the Priz after the 2002 model year, but look for the all new Corolla wearing Pontiac colors. By the way NO CLADDING is projected for this Pontiac/Toyota hybrid wagon.

Interesting times at GM....
  • may be coming on because of a vacuum leak -- that happened in my '00 Corolla about three weeks after I got it. They thought it was the gas cap too (apparently it's ultra-sensitive now because of Toyota's dust-up with CARB), but it turned out to be a vaccuum leak.
    Yes, both Europe and Japan gets the 2003 Corolla shown in the pictures as 2001 model. they went on sale last week. But we have to waite until 2003 to get it. that sucks!
  • rkdgrkdg Posts: 1
    Yes I heard that too about the Fremont California plant discontinuing Prizms. Has this been displayed as a concept car? Hopefully it won't look like the AZTEK. I wonder if it would be worth waiting another two years for it. What is meant by CLADDING? Thanks.
    After discontinue making the Prizm, I heard that Toyota is planning on the facility to make wagon/SUV in 2003 based on the (new?) corolla.
  • won't be shared with the US - Calty will be designing our own version (thank God!). I'm sure it will be contented the way the new Japan-spec Corolla is, though -- much more luxurious with a similarly competitive price. The Japan-spec Corolla was designed in Europe and tweaked in Japan, and suffers from the slghtly wimpy look of the Prius and Echo.