Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Volkswagen Passat

Comments

• Just wondering what would be a fair price for a 94 4 door accord EX with auto, leather, ad, roof, 109K miles from a private party? IT seems to have been well maintained, new muffler, brakes, oil changes regular with service records (non-honda service though). Also, where are all the 94 coupes? pol, these seem hard to find for sale, and when they are, seems they are far overprice from private people. I haven't even found a 94-5 coupe on any dealer lot (here in Charleston SC). Anyone know of one, even close, asp an EX 5 speed???
  • dahuzidahuzi Posts: 2
    I want to buy a car recently, one car I saw was a 90 Accord EX with 98,000 miles, and automatic transmition, the body was not in very good condition, let say just average. The owner asked for $4,500. Can any one tell me if it is a good deal?
  • ral2167ral2167 Posts: 642
    don't be paying any $4500 for a 12 year old car with a bad body..you can do better.
  • digmedigme Posts: 2
    90 Accord EX with 98000 miles is ridiculous. If you want to look for a good car under 5,000 look into Saturn 1995 or something like that...i might be wrong but that's what i have found out recently. Also, please keep in mind during my research i was more interested in cars newer than 1996.(which cost more than 5000)......if you are interested in my research drop a line.....
  • dahuzidahuzi Posts: 2
    I know nothing litle about cars, and just want to buy one that is good for use and with good price. I'm really interested in your research, please give me some information. Thanks.
  • digmedigme Posts: 2
    Here is some good information:
    the ratings according to my research without into taking into consideartion the type of cars they are categorized as is as follows:

1)Mazda Protege (only after the 1997 Model)
    2)Honda
    2a) Prelude
    2b) CR-V
    2c) Accord
    2d) Civic
    In between a,b,c, can enter all the accura's except they are expensive, and magnets for car thieves
    3) Toyota Camry (Toyota Cars are little overpriced)
    4) Toyota Avalon (extremely over-expensive, but nice)
    5) Mazda 626
    7) Mazda Millenia
    8) Nissan Maxima
    9) VW Passat, Golf, & the rest of VW

Let me explain why I chose all this:

1) The protege, after 97, is the best in my reasoning because it is so so spacious inside and is actually made on a factory line that Mazda was thinking about to establish like the Lexus of Toyota, or Acura of Honda. They decided just to sell their luxury as Millenia. Price, unbeatable, still a little overpriced but has gone down considerably with deals and offers. used one should be around 8K - 12K.....Please check this site for prices of all used cars. Protege is extermely reliable for the models after 96, just one thing, make sure to get the CV Joints checked.....that's seems to be a consistent problem
    2) Prelude and CR-V models preceed the accord and the rest, since they are built in Japan, not here in the US...u know what goes to cars built by domestic, i won't say no more
    3) Camry and other toyota families excellent reliability, but a little too expensive for my taste(i am just getting settled and don't have a lot to spend right now)....If you had the money, buy the Camry....
    4)626 and Millenia, not as reliable as Protege, built on two different qualities, even if the Millenia is like the Camry of Mazda,...I see a lot of people these days on the road with 626s being most pbbly pissed @ Honda Dealers' screwy and arrogant customer service, and not opting to buy a mid-size sedan. I say again, go with the Protege.
    Last but not least, VW's - all I have to say is if you know the reputation of Audis ( and I don't mean how they look)....the replica of Audi Parts you would find in VWS. Audi is shatty....It breaks all the time, expensive to fix...what else, ...I don't know....OH,.....SORRY ABOUT THIS INFO...Maintenance on a Mazada could be a little expensive, but I think the company now is doing a lot to transform that......Good Luck ....

INFO Sources: JD Powers; carreview; NHSA etc.... Websites....
  • hiflyerhiflyer Posts: 78
    It's nice to see another person providing objective information about how terribly unreliable VWs and Audis are. Their record sales in recent years is obviously due to their ability of consistently selling clunkers.
  • I have a '99 4 cyl EX, and love it, except for the road noise and the quirky shift delay at low speed. How much improvement can I expect from a new 6 cyl? I've read that they've theoretically noise, but can't get a sense of how real that is.
  • jared1195jared1195 Posts: 20
    has anyone checked out the new xg300? yeah, yeah- i am aware about the history of hyundai but hey, where would you get a V6 with all those luxury amenities. Not to mention, it must be the most distinctive, "oh, look at me!" car in the road right now. Just dont ask who made it. But i believe that is going to change. Resale value? i am just not the kind of person who would worry about that. If youre happy with the car, then screw resale value. I wouldnt be caught dead driving a camry most especially when everyone is driving it. It is a good car but it just lacks personality, distinctive styling (i believe it is subjective)and way too overpriced for what it offers. Honda accord though a bit bland in my standards, has a more quality feel overall.

One point i want to get accross to buyers-- If you see a car that excites you - performance and beauty wise-- go for it. In my case, i dont want to be caught whining driving a car with an excellent resale value--reliability?-- at the same time complaining that that car is just plain ugly. Life is too short. In this segment, you have accord and the camry, but the world doesnt end there, there are a lot of choices which can stir the most difficult buyer. It is time to open our eyes that toyota an honda doesnt control the world and our choices. They just insult our intelligence. If they can reduce their inflated retail prices, then maybe they can regain back my respect. Plus, did i say that salesmen in toyota dealers are just plain arrogant? who they think they are?

Well, these are just my thought--take it or leave it.
  • jared1195jared1195 Posts: 20
    i was just told that the xg300 is not even comparable to accord and camry. they compare it to infiniti I30 and the Lexus ES300. Sorry for that, but it is something to think about. I know i am.
  • I'm working with a strictly limited budget of 11.5K. So far, I've found newer camry's with less miles priced the same as older accords with higher miles. I had my heart set on an accord, but test driving newer camrys with less miles may have changed my mind. I need to test drive some more. The v-tec honda's are so much stronger than the camry's 4cyl. I was shocked by how comfortable and "refined" the camry felt. The interior seemed larger in the camry also. The accord is probably the better car. It shows in its resale value. We all are looking for the best car for the money. I'm wondering if the accord is worth the extra age and miles that would come with its price. I want a car that will be reliable, have great gas mileage and a cofortable ride.
  • 210delray210delray Posts: 4,722
    But if you find the Camry has the lower miles for the same price, I'd go with the Camry.
  • mhale2mhale2 Posts: 1
    My boyfriend bought a Honda Civic at the Honda dealership in Auburn. They have fixed prices so there was no haggling. He really liked the experience and so now I am thinking about going there as well. I just checked out their website and you can price the vehicle that you want online. The prices actually beat edmund's TMV prices (at least for the Accord V6 EX that I was looking at)...just my 2 cents..
  • cholland1cholland1 Posts: 5
    I bought a 99 Camry LE with 50K miles this weekend for $11,500 with tax. I'm very pleased so far. The car has plenty of power for my needs. Highway driving is smooth & quiet. I rode in the back seat while my wife drove, and I was very comfortable. The longer trips I took were almost too calm. I kept falling asleep. I plan on putting in a good after market DC player and key less entry/alarm. Driving the car makes me feel a little snooty. The shinny newish car doesn't look like only cost 11.5K. I don't feel embarrassed any more when parking with the Lexus and B-meer crowd. Not when mines shines just as good and keeps my wallet fat. I liked the Accord. It was just out of my price range, unless I went with an older model with higher miles. No thanks.
  • ukrickukrick Posts: 66
    I really like the safety ratings that the Passat offers, though Accord and Camry are pretty good also. But the Passat GLX stickers for over $28k and comes with no CD player. Granted you could buy a better one yourself after market. But for that price you would think that a CD player would be standard.

A fully loaded Accord EX-V6 can be bought for just over invoice or right at invoice, about $23k. A Camry XLE-V6 has an invoice of just over $23k but doesn't come with leather interior or sun roof. Sounds like Accord is the way to go to get the most bang for your buck.
  • amz997amz997 Posts: 61
    I agree with you. Accord Ex is the way to go!!
  • So the Passat GLX comes without a CD player standard, but look at all the other things you get. My '99 Passat GLX has trip computers that tell me ongoing mpg, average mpg, total miles traveled, elapsed time driving, etc., etc., leather interior, moon roof, real wood trim, intermittent wipers that are water sensitive, driver's seat memory, tiptronic transmission, passenger's side tilting mirror for backing up, daytime running lights, one-touch down on both front windows, and undoubtedly other things I'm forgetting. Highway gas mileage is consistently around 30 plus it's got a full-size spare and a huge trunk and the back seats fold down. All that for $30K. It's got things standard that I didn't have on a $41K Audi A6 and you could only get on a Lexus ES300 (if at all) by paying nearly $40K. So I had to pay extra for a CD player. Big deal.
  • hiflyerhiflyer Posts: 78
    And if one can wait a few months, the 2002 Passat will offer a standard in-dash CD player as well as reportedly a 4 year/50,000 mile b2b warranty.
  • speed14speed14 Posts: 3
    I currently own a 99 accord v6, and have owned 4 other honda's, all cars have been great, but many brake problems with my current car.
    Looking at a Passat, but not sure of reliability, can anyone help me decide?
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Welcome to Town Hall!

Have you found our current discussion at this link: VW Passat? You might want to check it out - there are lots of Passat owners hanging out there who can help you with your questions.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • I have a 1999 Passat GLX that I bought new. It has 15,200+ miles, and here are the problems I've had: First, I had trouble with the rear window behind the driver's seat. Took the dealer (not the one I bought it from) about 4 visits to fix it for good (I hope). Mainly I just avoid using it b/c of the problems. Second problem was that the airbag warning light came on and stayed on. This required two fixes by the dealer before it stayed off. Third problem--when the car was about 1.5 years old, I had a problem with the throttle body sensor, whatever that is. The result was that the car wouldn't start and had to be trucked to a nearby town with a VW dealer. All of these problems were on warranty and were minor nuisances other than the tbs problem. Other than that, I've liked the car a lot. It gets good gas mileage on the highway (around 30) but not so good in the small town in which I live (roughly 14), which is a problem with most all of the cars I've owned. If I had it to do over again, I probably would still buy the Passat, as I like the way it looks, and it has an unbelievable number of bells-and-whistles for the money (the GLX, that is). Hope this info helps you make up your mind.
  • jmnygaardjmnygaard Posts: 48
    When I bought my last car (in 1987), the big question was, "Which is better: the Accord or the Camry?" I drove them both, then bought a Mazda 626. I did NOT chose the Mazda because I was p.o.'d at Honda dealers or because the Camry cost too much, but because I got a whole lot more for the money with the Mazda. It now has 136,000 miles on it, and the only reason I'm looking for a new car is that I'm a new mom and need a car with 4 doors and more safety features.

It cracks me up that after 14 years the argument is still pretty much the same. I've done tons of research, and the Accord, Camry, and Passat all look good on paper. The 626 doesn't look as great, but it didn't in '87, either. I drove the Accord today, and was much less impressed than I thought I'd be. My sister-in-law had a Camry; it was boring but nice. The Passat seems to be a good car, but it's much more expensive, has fewer features I wanted as standard, and doesn't have the attractive financing the Accord, Camry, and 626 do.

I haven't decided which car to buy, yet, but I'd advise anyone who's looking at these cars should check out the 626, too. (4.9% financing for 60 months with $1000 cash back makes it VERY attractive!)
  • kartezkartez Posts: 48
    Go look at the Camry - Accord forum. Geez, never thought people would fight over Accord and Camry. Yuck!!!!
  • hcar2hcar2 Posts: 5
    Just came back from local Honda dealer in west county of St. Louis after having got ripped off $71.24 to reset the "Maintenance Reqd" light in my Honda 2001 Accord. I bought my second Honda after having no problems with my first Honda. However, I didn't realize that Honda dealers have become "greedy" now-a-days, charging premium prices on several models, doing service that is unnecessary and ripping off their customers like me to reset a simple switch!

I would check not only the vehicle but also the associated dealer network for honesty, integrity, and customer service before selecting a particular vehicle. I was leaning towards buying third Honda vehicle (Acura) before this incident happened. Now, I would definitely go to competitor brands like Lexus or Infiniti.

Has anyone faced the similar situation with their dealer?
  • I am looking into buying a new family car to replace my Buick century. I was debating between a 2002 Accord and a 2001.5 Passat. (I was told that the 2001.5 Passat is exactly the same as the 2002 Passat but was manufactured earlier in the year. So, I could get a better deal on if I buy the 2001.5 rather than the 2002).
    Since I am ignorant in cars, I am looking for some advise on the following:
    1) For the price I will have to pay, which car gives more advantages in terms of engine (driving) quality, safety, maintenance cost, and re-sell value? I am not really interested in the additional options such as a sunroof, leather seats, etc.
    2) Now, for both cars, is it worth going for the V6 engine (the 2.8L engine in the Passat) rather than the V4 engine (the 1.8L in the Passat)? This going to be used as a family car. So, do I need the extra horse powers for a smoother driving or it is not worth the price?
    3) In case of the Accord, if I chooce the V6 model, it automatically comes with extra options such as sunroof etc. My reasoning is that I don't need that and so may be I am better off to pay slightly more and get a 2.8L Passat with no options. Of course, I am assuming here that the Passat is better than the Accord. Also, I can get some good discount by bying the 2001.5 Passat instead of the 2002. So, please let me know if this reasoning is correct?
    4) A last question: if you were to buy a family car in the range price of an Accord, which car would you go for?
    Thanks a lot.
  • medulamedula Posts: 2
    Could you explain what does it mean "intermittent wipers that are water sensitive?" (from your posted message # 618) Is it a rain sensor?
    I am interested in wiper technology and this sounds very interesting.
  • mirthmirth Posts: 1,212
    Yeah, it's a rain sensor. Only available on the GLX top-of-the-line model.
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Posts: 1,391
    hella sells the rain sensor also as an aftermarket item.
  • Although my instruction booklet doesn't have any information on them, if I put on the intermittent wipers when it's sprinkling, I can leave them on through a downpour. They go across occasionally when it's sprinkling and then pick up speed as the rain gets harder until they're going full out if it rains hard enough. I think it's really neat, but my wife says they don't sweep across often enough to suit her when it's just sprinkling. She prefers a "normal" intermittent wiper. Anyway, that's the way my wipers work. The problem is that my VW GLX has spoiled me for similarly priced Japanese cars; they just don't have all the fancy electronics I've gotten used to. I like our Acura TL-S a lot, but it's low tech compared to the VW.
  • I think I am going through the same process everyone else has except my driving req's may be different. I typically drive 30 - 40k miles per year at high speeds while on a cell phone (lots of no-no's here but ....). Cruising noise, gas consumption, acceleration, and braking are probably the top issues. Been looking at the Camry, Accord, Passat and Maxima but only have about $15,000 - $18,000 to spend. Any ideas??