Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Volkswagen Passat

Comments

• I'm a college student that's graduating soon so I'll be purchasing a car in the next 6mo. to a year. In the meantime, however, I drive hand-me-down Toyota Camry's from my parents.

The one that's "mine" is a 1990 Camry 4cyl 5-spd with over 200k miles on it. We've hardly had any problems with it and it's been a great car, and because of this I'd consider buying one myself. The car is reasonably peppy with the 5-sped and 4cyl, but now lets move on to my parent's newer Camry's.

They have a 1998 Camry LE (4, auto), and a 2000 Camry XLE (4, auto). Let me tell you, these are the SLOWEST cars I have EVER driven! ZERO off the line acceleration. ZERO low-end torque. At highway speeds the car is MISERABLE.

The 2.2L 4 has an extremely narrow power band. There's little to no power before 3500 rpm, and none whatsoever after 5000rpm. This is compounded by the fact that the transmission is geared for 100% economy and 0% performance. When you're on the highway running about 70 mph the engine turns about 2500rpm. If you need some passing power it'll kick down out of overdrive only after "encouragement" (firewalling), or the OD defeat switch. So then it hits about 3500 rpm which is the base of the power band, but not in it. No deal. If you completely floor it it'll downshift to 2nd gear (at 70+ mph), at which point it hits over 5000rpm...and there's STILL no power because now it's PAST the power band. There's no way to hit that sweet spot of peak torque at 4400 rpm at crusing speeds.

The Camry can't even get out of its own way, and has ZERO power for emergency situations where you need to move fast (like when you pulled out in front of that moron with the silver car in the rain that you didn't see because they're too boneheaded to turn their lights on!)

In defense of the slow Camry's, they're not really targeted towards younger people, so it's not really for me anyways.

I'm considering a Jetta (1.8T or VR6), a Passat (1.8T/5spd or V6), and Accord (4cyl/5spd or V6/auto), or a Camry (V6 auto or manual ONLY...no 4)

I'm used to Japanese reliability, so that rules out ALL AMERICAN CARS, and I'm not sure about the Volkswagons. I don't fit in a Maxima (6'3"), so my options are limited ;-)

$0.02

Steve
  • Hello,

I've been quoted $18,800 for a 2000
    Camry LE 4 (auto) with Value Pkg. 3 (ABS,
    daytime running lights, remote keyless
    entry, power driver's seat, and (of course!)
    floor mats). Is this reasonable, or is there
    room for me to negotiate? If so, how much?

Thanks!
  • yankeryanker Posts: 156
    The price for a camry LX at 18800 sounds good I have been quoted 19400 in upstate New York. I'd be interested in hearing if an XLE or an Avalon would be a better bet. We had a 97 Camry it was great and has gone to Columbus Ohio with our daughter. I own a 96 Camry and love it (64000). My wife needs the new one will consider Camry, Avalon and I will check out Honda Accord EX. What do you think? We
    are selling a 93 Corolla in near perfect condition and the dealer said try 6900 I think 5000 is more like it. Also what about leases?
  • It sound like you are getting a good deal. Invoice
    on an LE with value package and mudguards is $19278. There is a $500 rebate (at least in VA)thru the end of the month to bring the dealers cost down to $18778, so you are doing good.Make sure the destination is included in this price, (you are on a new car right?). Also see if the discount in your area is more than $500. If everything checks out and you like the car you, will know have found a good deal.
  • frag235frag235 Posts: 81
    Yes, 87 octane works just fine in the V6....all the Accords I've owned over the last 10 years have been very reliable.
  • lngo4lngo4 Posts: 1
    I bought a 2000 Honda Accord Ex (4 cyl & auto), and I have been using the 92 octane from Chevron. However, the premium gas is too expensive these days.

So, here're my questions:
    What's the difference b/w 87 vs. 92 octane? And why use 92 octain (more expensive) when the manual says, it's ok to use 87?
    What's the difference b/w Arco's vs. Chevron's gasoline or Shell's vs. 76's?

I appreciate if you are well knowledge on this area and be able to help me on on this info.

lngo4
  • I have the same engine in my Coupe and all that I have ever put in it is 87 octane Chevron and BP. All the Accords run fine on 87 octane. Don't waste your money on the more expensive stuff.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    I own a 2000 LX 5spd Accord and all I run is 87octane, it runs fine. You are wasting your money on gas. Save your money and buy some accessories! :-))...
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    Stevepake: If you don't fit in the Maxima then you probably shouldn't be looking at the cars that you mentioned. The Maxima is MUCH larger then the Jetta and Camry and noticably larger then the Accord or Passat. It surprises me that you can fit in your Camry and not in a Maxima which has more legroom, more headroom, more hiproom, more shoulderroom and more overall interior space. And that is compared to the 2000 Camry. The 1990 Camry that you drive is even smaller then the current generation. In fact, the Maxima is closer in size to the Avalon then it is to the Camry.
  • gerapaugerapau Posts: 211
    lngo4: You are wasting your money if you are using gas that has a higher octane rating then is recommended for your car. Higher octane fuel is actually less volitile then lower octane fuel and will not provide as much energy. You may actually get slightly lower performance and gas milage using higher octane fuel then with lower octane fuel (although the difference is probably so small that you wouldn't even notice.)

Some higher compression engines require higher octane fuel to prevent engine "pinging". This occurs when the fuel burns prematurely. Using a higher octane (less volatile) fuel is usually recommended for these engines.
  • you are 6'3. You do fit in a Maxima. The front seat interior space of Maxima is larger than either Accord or Camry.

Maxima does have ample power (222 horse power) The problem is the quality of the car is not on par with either Accord or Camry. I just had my Maxima for less than 2 months. The battery is already dead.

Accord's handling is far better than Camry, Passet's should be even better, though the quality of Passet is also questionable. Both Camry and Accord has more interior space than the Passet, though. So you might have to put that into consideration also.
  • I'm currently driving a '98 Accord coupe (4 cyl) and I have a friend who drives a '99 4 cyl Camry LE. Let me just say that there's not a day that goes by that my friend tells me how much she regrets buying the Camry! We work at the same place and our route to work involves a lot of hills. She says that her Camry can barely get her over the hills so "slow" is not a strong enough word to describe the Camry. Although my Accord punches out only 150 HP, it sure beats the Camry with its 138 HP! And not only is the Accord stronger but it has a more sporty look too! The body of a Camry seems a bit "grandma-ish". Even compared to the Accord sedan, the Camry is still regarded as more "family-type". So for those of you looking for something with a bit of spunk and some extra horses, go for the Accord, especially the Accord coupe V6 (my only regret in getting my car is that it's a 4 cyl). Overall, I love my Accord!!! It never fails that I find guys staring/gawking when I'm on the road. It must be the car...
  • speederspeeder Posts: 2
    We are looking to buy either a 2000 Accord EX Sedan or 2000 Passat.

We have a 94 Accord EX Sedan, 4 cyl, with 85K miles and have never had a problem. Now that we have a little one and my husband is driving my car a little more I have noticed there is not enough room behind a driver who is 6 feet tall. I'm feeling a little cramped. Is the 2000 roomier?
  • venus537venus537 Posts: 1,443
    The current generation Accord is much roomier than a 94 Accord. Good luck with your next car and watch out for the revenue collectors, you speeder.
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    Yes, there is a huge difference between a 94 Accord and a 2000. My neighbor has a 95 Accord and came over to see our 2000 Accord. The first comment out of both their mouths was how large the back seat area was. Although, a Passat will be about the same, the Accord may be a touch larger in some areas.. Good hunting..
  • I am interested in purchasing either a 2000 Honda Accord 2-door coupe or a 2000 Toyota Solara. I was wondering if anyone could give me the +/- of both of these, and what you guys are currently paying for them. I drove the 4-cyl in both. Currently I have a Chevy Malibu 6-cyl that Chevy is buying back because of troubles. I want another car, but a reliable and stylish one. I felt that the 4-cyl. in both was comparible to my 6-cyl. 170 hp Chevy. Please help!!! -in TN
  • You may want to go over to the "Accord Coupe vs Solara" forum and ask there. The Accord Coupe rides quiet a bit firmer, handles better and has a little more power. But the Solara is smoother and quieter. The Accord should be cheaper. You need to take both on an extended test drive if possible, then you will see the difference.

Got my LX automatic Coupe back in February for just over $18k with 3.9% financing. I know they are going a little cheaper now. You may want to go to Carsdirect.com and check their pricing for comparison.

Good luck with your new car, whatever you get!!!
  • pattupattu Posts: 1
    I am planning to buy Honda accord Ex 4 cylinder.

According to edmunds the invoice price for that is

20,987(Inclusive Leather seat and Automatic
    transmission)
    - 750$(Dealer cash incentive)
    =======
    20,237(Which is invoice price)(TMV)

But Dealer is not giving me Incentive they are giving me at

21,100(Base price inclusive leather and Automatic
    transmission)
    + 499(Cassete player)which is not good rate
    + 299(holding charges)
    + tax
    + registration has to be done by me

Is this a good price. or not.
    How do I get incentive benefit from them. Is anybody guide me regarding this matter. what should I do.

thanks in advance
  • jyh168jyh168 Posts: 1
    First of all, do not purchase the cassette player from Honda. They are charging you a premium. For that price, you can get a gold-plated one elsewhere :) In actuality, no, but it will be pretty difficult to find a cassette player at 500 dollars nowadays (Nakamichi included). The Honda player's features are minimal, and sound quality is sub-par. Get an aftermarket one if you can, or just replace the entire deck with a CD/tape deck and it will still cost less than 500 dollars.

I'm also pretty suspicious about the holding charges. I haven't heard of such a thing for a while, and I cannot believe they are charging you for that. Otherwise, it is a fairly good deal.