Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord vs. Toyota Camry vs. Volkswagen Passat

Comments

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    Fish8,

If you agree that the Passat is NOT as reliable as the Accord and you had ZERO problems with the Passat, does that mean that the Accord would have less than zero problems or actually fix its own problems. WOW! The Honda Accord, a self-healing car.

MidCOW - Now on the Accord bandwagon
  • fish8fish8 Posts: 2,282
    NO, I am not saying that. I am one person, definitely not a statistical sample. I was just giving my PERSONAL experience, no less no more!!! Also, I never predicted the number of problems the Passat or Accord would have. It's a known fact.....VW's are less reliable than Honda's.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    fish8:

You stated "I hate to see people miss out on such a great car as the Passat because of CR findings." Please realize that the results of Consumer Report's published survey are not "CR findings" as much as they are the actual owner/drivers' findings as reported by thousands of those individuals on their annual CR questionnaire.

I understand that the Passat is a fine driving car. However, my experiences with electrical system problems with my two VW Rabbits soured me on the company years ago. They were decent to drive though.
    Understood! By saying CR findings, I guess I should of been clearer. I have subscribed to CR for over 10 yrs now, so I realize its the readers that provide the meat of the information. I meant that CR accumulates and interprets all the survey info........

2 VW Rabbits? How long ago did you own these?
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Posts: 294
    I guess I'm a little outdated. When I got my 2001.5 Passat GLX (6 cyl), consumer reports picked it as the top choice in its class, and it got good ratings for reliability even though it was the 1st year of a redesign. I'm pretty confident that the 2002 did well too. Furthermore, I never had more than minor problems, and haven't had too many of those either. I'm driving an Acura TL now b/c I wanted some more power and the newer model passat wasn't out yet, but I'm still on this message board defending the Passat. That should speak to my appreciation of the car as well. For the gentleman who soured on VW b/c of the old Rabbits, both my parents and in-laws advised against the Passat, probably b/c of the memories you have, too. But they've changed their minds after driving mine!

Did the car start "turning bad" in 2003? Seems like CR had drastic changes in their findings after the 1st too years of the current model's production?
    Maybe the surveyed sample got larger, therefore, more issues may of surfaced....in later years.
    On consumer reports online, the VW Passat 4 cyl, 4 cyl wagon and 6 cyl sedan all were "recommended" picks.

On their ratings sheet, the '03 and '04 are rated "very good" for reliability.
  • blaneblane Posts: 2,017
    fish8:

My VW Rabbits were both purchased new. A '75 (first year for the Rabbit in the US) and an '80. As I recall, I put about 104K miles on the '75. Of course we all know that the Golf was just a rebadged Rabbit. And the Jetta was just a Golf with a trunk grafted on.
  • 03accordman03accordman Posts: 671
    Ok folks, I am in the market for a midsize sedan. I already own an 03 Accord that I love, but obviously I would like some thing different now. Have shortlisted the Camry and Passat, though the ALtima and Mz6 are in my mind too.

The must haves are ABS, side and side curtain airbags and vehicle stability control, nee ESP. This brings it down to Camry v/s Passat, since the Accord anyway does not have VSA. I would prefer the drive of the Passat, but over the past year having seen so many issues (agreed, minor), I am not sure what I would be jumping into. This car would be doing a 100 mile daily commute, so I can't spend time at dealerships. The Camry would be a safe choice, however, I do prefer the sportier ride of the Passat, so its turning to be a dilemma. Also, there is a new Passat coming out, which is supposed to be expensive and I probably can't wait till then.

What say you?
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Posts: 1,978
    Given you requirements, get a Jetta. You can get ESP. If you want to save $3,000 buy the old version 2005. There is a new version Jetta 2005, biggere engine, more room, 2.5 cylinder 5 cyl other modes TDI coming in June, but bigger price.

Good Luck,

MidCow the Manual Shift Man
    I had a passat for 4 years and had very few problems with it. Of course, my commute was 20 min each way for the most part. I think you really need to determine how much more you liked the Passat's drive. Also, I think the Passat's interior is much nicer - would that help you enjoy your ride? If your commute is 100 mi of stop-and-go traffic, that's rough on a car & I'd go with Camry since you won't get to enjoy the Passat's handling anyway. Lastly, here's 1 cool thing and 1 annoying thing (both minor) about the Passat that might sway you if it's a tie:

1. The Passat (at least the GLX) has rain-sensing wipers that work very well. When it starts raining you just turn them on & forget it. It's great when the rain levels keep changing.
    2. The stearing wheel radio controls don't run through your presets - they act as a "seek up" or "seek down" feature, which is very annoying and almost not worthwhile.

Lastly, just want to point out that the new Accords got a horsepower increase so I think they're faster than both Camrys & Passats.
  • zitchzitch Posts: 55
    03Accordman: I'd say to consider looking at the Camry SE if you haven't yet. Still not as sporty a ride as the Accord or the Passat (according to the reviews I've read), but does have a much stiffer suspension setup than the standard LE and XLE trims from what I understand.
    MidCow, the Jetta is too small for my needs, I have to have a car seat in the back. I rented a GLS last week, and man, it was tiny in the back, my three year old had her legs hitting the front passenger seat.
    The commute is all 99% highway. I agree the Passat has a nice interior too, but the Accord is pretty close, and I would sure enjoy the drive more with the nice interior. I really do like the ride of the Passat a lot.

My major concern is that I would be really pissed off if I had minor issues like bulbs fusing all the time, and some or the other light coming on. This is the only thing that is keeping me from going with the Passat. In the end I guess I would have to take a call on that.
    Yeah, the SE is in my mind, I will definitely check it out.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    I need your help. I am considering the Camry XLE I4 Auto vs. the Accord EX I4 Auto. Since you already have the Accord and are considering the Camry I need your advice on the differences that you see between these two. Quality of ride, mpg, equipment, and dependability are all important.
    You may of already yold us, but...are you considering the '05 or '06 Passat? My experience: I have 10,600 miles on my '04.5 Passat and have had ZERO problems (except 1 rattle that was fixed) with it so far. I know it is still new, but so far so good.
  • Can someone with mechanical knowledge explain to me please the difference between Stability Control and Traction control?

I'm comparing a V6 Passat to an Accord V6 and here is the extras I like in both:
    - the extra in the Passat is the stability control and Tiptronic transmission.
    The extra in Accord is the 240Hp and the in dash cd changer.

I wish I can combine both!
  • natalie1natalie1 Posts: 1
    Does anyone have any additional info, looking into either the Toyota Camry, Honda Accord EX or VW Passat does not have to be within the NY area. Trying to locate a great rate and noticed that everyone seems to have helpful info pertaining to websites for great pricing.
    I think there are specific boards devoted to pricing somewhere in the Edwards forums.