Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Performance Luxury Sedans

Comments

• dkbeckdkbeck Posts: 1
    I saw your email questioning the legitimacy of an E500 offered for $10000 by a guy from Ireland. I exchanged email with a guy from Ireland about a 2001 Audi S4 for $12,000 that was also to be delivered through Blue Stars Shipping. I found the website for Blue Stars Shipping and exchanged email with them. They say they have the car in a container in a warehouse. I am suspicious. Did you pursue the deal for the E500?

Car ad: http://regina.kijiji.ca/c-ViewAd-W0QQAdIdZ2836906
    Blue Stars: http://bluestars-shipping.com/index.htm

The website looks phony to me. And this guy's email says his "sister is in hospital and she is very seek"

Thanks
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    There's an escrow link on the home page of the shipping site that is interesting. Among other things, it says the company is based in California. On another page, they give a New York and a Canadian address. You could check with the BBBs in California and New York.

You are right to be extremely suspicious and cautious.
  • blckislandguyblckislandguy Posts: 1,150
    The Blue Star web site is really a hoot. The site has many mispelled words ("seafright", "airfright"), grammatical tip offs ("...based in USA, California.."), none of the trailer trucks shown are American spec Class 8 rigs (gee, aren't they a California based firm?), none have Blue Star's name on them, and in addition to the previously noted California, NY, and Canadian addresses, they seem headquartered in Spain.

Don't even bother with the BBB. This is just two grad students in Penang having some fun with the rich Americans.
  • bpm69bpm69 Posts: 10
    I have the last M5. So I test drove the new one(the sales manager gave me a hard time about it). I expected to love it and be done. But I didn't like the SMG. It was really lurchy on upshifts unless I let off the throttle. Also I found myself looking to see what gear I was in without a hand on the stick I would have in a manual. And the Idrive was better than the one in the 750 but still annoying. So I went and tried the 997 C4S and the cayman(only 2 seater so not the same). I think I enjoyed the C4S more. I've always been a BMW fan but I don't even like the look of the new 5s. What am I missing?
  • www7www7 Posts: 1
    Difinitely a scam

here's another example...I was asking details about an BMW XI and this is the response...avoid
    ------------------
    Hello,
    I have to tell you in the first place that my car is like new, has 31,500 KM in perfect working condition, no scratches, no dents, never been abused, and it has clear title, manuals, the original documentation included, which will be delivered along with the car.
    The car is registered in Canada. The car is safe and sound back to Canada at the shipping company
    Right now I have some personal problems with my son`s health and I am in Ireland Dublin for a surgery on his heart. (I`m here because is the cheapest surgery I coud find)
    If you want to buy it, I can ship you the car and I will pay for shipping, insurance and all the fees deducted from this sale, you will have 5 days testing period.
    For more pictures with my car please visit this link
    http://www.myonlineimages.com/public.aspx?memberid=19158
    One more thing I'm a very serious and honest person that has some problems right now. I will appreciate if you were serious about this.
    Everyone goes thru bad times in life, and I am no exception.
    I need to do some extreme things in my life too in order to stay afloat.
    Of course please tell me if you want to buy this car and if you have the money.
    In order to start this deal, I will need:
    1. Your full name and home address
    2. Shipping address (street address, city, state, zip)
    3. e-mail address
    4. phone number
    The car will be shiped by Blue Stars Shipping company.
    If the car isn't like advertised, you can say that you don't buy it, and the car will be shipped back to me at my own expense and you will be completely refund. The agent from the shipping company will assist you in the registration process.
    Please reply with the requested info and if you are really interested please let` move fast because time is a precious thing for me right now,
    Thanks
    Robert Tyler
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,014
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have had to replace a car key, which ended up costing over $200 or $300. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Monday, April 2, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, the cost to replace your key along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• esfesf Posts: 1,020
    "And then there's the noise: a throaty roar through the midrange that switches over aggressively into a top-end shriek that gives the S6 an aural signature unlike any other German car.
    Even though the BMW M5 also has a V10 (and even though it produces 507 horsepower), it doesn't sound quite this exciting."

That's astonishing- especially considering the S6 is more in-between the super sedan and sports sedan classes.

It also shows what a smart move it was for Audi to buy Lamborghini, which is now quite profitable.

That quote is from a Canadian website: http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_T- ype1&c=Article&cid=1144360211321&call_pageid=968867497088&col=969048871196

Can't wait for the RS6!
  • gqby22gqby22 Posts: 1
    I talked to a similar guy about a toyota Supra... figured out it was a scam. here's what he wrote me:

EMAIL 1
    First of all I want to tell you that the car is still available and the price of $6,200 includes all the shipping costs and insurance, so you won't have to pay any extra charges. The car looks like new, it has never been scratched or wrecked. It will come with a clear title, bill of sale signed by me as well and all the papers (including the original manuals and keys) that you will need to register it under your name. I'm selling it because I've just moved to Dublin, Ireland and I can't drive it here because has left hand drive, and all the cars here have right hand drive so for me this car is useless. I hope that you will understand my situation. E-mail me back if you are interested. Keep me posted.
    Thank You !

EMAIL 2
    The car is located in Ireland, if you are interested we will use a shipping company ( www.cargoexpressinc.co.uk ) which also manages the payment. Here's how it works: I will take the car at the shipping company, they will e-mail you the transport information so you can see that the vehicle is shipped. After you receive this info, you will have to make a deposit to one of their agents so I can be sure that you are serious about buying and I am not shipping the car for nothing. The agent will keep the money in a trust fund until you receive the car and are sattisfied with it. You will have 7 days to inspect and test drive it upon arrival with no obligation to buy. If the car is not exactly as described, you can send it back at my expense, and get a full refund of your deposit. Please provide me your full name and shipping address in order to have the deal started. Thank you

EMAIL 3
    Sure, here's the VIN jt2ja82j5r0018019.The current mileage is 64600.My car i a 1994 Toyota Supra Turbo. You have to make an up front payment of $2000, the remaining balance ( $4500 ) will be paid after you will receive, inspect and test-drive it. I will need your full name and shipping address in order to have the deal started. Thank you
    A reporter would like to talk with current and former Jaguar owners. Please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Friday, May 26, 2006 with your daytime contact info and a few words about your ownership experience.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• grammegramme Posts: 1
    Thank goodness you posted this information, as we are dealing with the same guy trying to sell a 1998 Toyota Supra for $7,200. The three email messages are almost identical and what's worse, the VIN checks out with CarFax, so he is using a real VIN. What made me suspicious was the shipping company web site at www.cargoexpressinc.co.uk. It didn't check out with Network Solutions whois query as it is registered to a James Robert Bonar of Gardner, KS. Not exactly a UK corporate registrant.

Thank you so much for your post. :sick:
  • arvin1arvin1 Posts: 9
    I would Buy the m5!!wish i had one.... :)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Pat or Karen, can this thread be renamed? I think it is time for it to say High-Performance Luxury Sedans since this class now includes the Audi S6, Mercedes E63 AMG, Quattroporte etc. etc.

M
    Sure, glad to! Look at the categories above - I can add three more, do you want others there? (There isn't a specific E63 AMG category, only the E55.)
    A casting director seeks drivers who think of their cars as extensions of their personalities and are able to participate in a rally from Vancouver to LA for two weeks in October. Please visit http://www.carspace.com/bullrun for more information.
  • I have looked at the E class and A6 ... and would like to own my first Audi. The only thing that holds me back is to me the extremely ugly trapeze around the logo.

Does anyone know how for how long this will last? If the so called more aggressive logo will go away with these models, then I may go for a used 4.2 (circle version) and then buy a new one in a few years from now if it looks different. But if not ... can they change at least the wheel airbag with an older one, would that one fit?

Also, I would like some of your opinions too. (I now the new trapezoidal logo sort of 'grew on' many of the late model owners). I believe that changing a logo every few years weakens the impact and value of that logo - bimmer and MB are not doing this...
  • Anyone with recommendations for snow tires for an MB E55.
  • w210w210 Posts: 188
    Dunlop M3?
  • Audi's logo has not changed - The rings are intact. A design element of the car has been made to be a signature element. It really is not that big a leap. I had an A4 Cab and the new face just connected the upper and lower grills which made it much more noticeable.

Eventually this signature design element will be refined and altered based on modernizing their design, but the rings will not change. Sort of like the Mercedes grill has altered over the years from a huge chrome piece to a more subtle opening on newer models.

I doubt it will go away, but I really think it will be used to give different models a slightly different feel based upon noticeable differences. Right know the grill looks basically the same on all their models (A3, A4, A6, A8).
  • I am going to look at both this weekend. Has anyone driven these Audis? I am leaning towards the S8. :D
    Check out the High-End Luxury Marques board, there is S8 owner there: BLKHEMI.

M
  • Thanks M. It seems that he really likes his S8. I know I would too, but I am just scared of the depreciation. I don't know how long they will be "hot."

Congratulations on your new car M!!!
  • I took the plunge, and bought the Audi. I posted photos in my Car Space site I gave up a Range Rover Sport, which I really liked, so I hope that I have a positive experience with the Audi. ">
  • Where is the extra money in the S8, excluding the B&O system, of course.

I've seen the ~ $78K S6 and the ~$120K S8. The S8 would be my first choice, or so I thought. The S6 has given me pause.

What are the features, performance and size differences.

The S8 is built on the SWB A8 chassis, yes?
  • The S8 is built on the SWB A8 chassis. I drove both models. The difference between the two, as far as I could tell, is the size of the vehicle. The S8 is plusher with more features. The S8 has a few extra horses too. The S8 has larger rims. The S6 has recaro seats which were very comfortable. I preferred the styling and size of the S8. The S6 seems like a bargain compared to the Benz E63.
    The S6 seems like a bargain compared to the Benz E63.

Well not really. The S6 can't match the performance of the E63 or M5 for that matter hence it should cost less, IMO.

M
  • rockyleerockylee Wyoming, MichiganPosts: 13,989
    I really like the new Audi S8. Seems like a great vehicle. Merc, have you read the Motor Trend review for it ? I am impressed, but I guess I should be with it's price-tag, eh ? ;)

Rocky
  • npernper Posts: 6
    Hello,
    I am new to this forum, but I just saw your post, so I wanted to reply. I have picked up my S8 3 weeks ago and cannot be happier. The car is absolutely unbelievable. You can drive it as a complete luxury car, or you can pop it into sport mode and drive it like a bat out of hell. The interior is absolutely the best in class, in my opinion. People have been stopping me everywhere and asking to see the car, engine, inside, etc...
    I drove the S6 as well before I took possession of the 8, and it is nice. But I prefer the space and sumptuouseness of the S8. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • nper,

I am enjoying my S8 too. I have just over 1,000 miles, and have only put it in sport mode once. It did make a big difference. I am looking forward to taking a trip. So far, no problems. :)I posted some photos in my carspace.
  • npernper Posts: 6
    scottphillip,
    Glad to hear you like the car. I also have posted a few pics in my album. The only problem I had was a weird grinding noise when the car has not warmed up yet and I turn the wheel all the way when backing up. It does go away after a few minutes though. They could not find anything wrong at Audi, so I guess it is just one of those quirky things that happens. Otherwise, the car has been perfect. I am amazed I have not gotten a ticket yet, as I will find myself doing 80 without even realizing it.
    In S mode, I have smoked a 996 Carrera and a M3. I love the stealth of the S8, especially after I took the badges off.
    A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased a luxury car for the first time and about why you decided to purchase a luxury car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.