Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Performance Luxury Sedans

1282930313234»

Comments

• Kirstie_HKirstie_H Posts: 10,914
    If you visit the VIN Check discussion, someone may be able to tell you whether you should get the full report. Since the reports are a fee-for-service operation, no one will give out the full report for free.

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• gmhellmangmhellman Posts: 121
    I am looking at purchasing a low miles early 2000s BMW M5. Prices vary widely on these models. KBB puts a 2002with 67,000 miles at 16,650 for private sale. The seller wants 19,500 because "it is in excellent condition and hardly driven in last 3 years". I have seen dealers put up 2003 M5s with under 20,000 miles for over 40K! KBB is 19K.

What is the fair price I should be looking for? I need advice as this is the first time that I am purchasing a european sports sedan.

Thanks.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,889
    Well, the first thing you should be concerned with is the car's maintenance and repair history. Second, you should have a PPI (pre purchase inspection) done by a qualified independent mechanic or BMW dealer. The price of the car is almost irrelevant. You DO NOT want to buy a "cheap M5" because it will BLEED YOUR BANK ACCOUNT dry if it wasn't properly cared for.

Also, since you are looking for a "low miles" car, you will most likely be dealing with owners who know they have something special.

M5s have aging problems just as other E39 5 series of that vintage (1996 - 2003) such as pixels that have disappeared from the climate control or dash cluster as well as M5 specific issues like a clutch that needs to be replaced around the 60K mark (YMMV).

I'm not trying to scare you. E39 M5s are fantastic cars. They are durable and will last a long time as long as they are properly cared for. Get an inspection and let us know how it works out.

You might also might try searching and joining bimmerfest. Good luck & keep us posted!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium