Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Performance Luxury Sedans

Comments

• arvin1arvin1 Posts: 9
    I would Buy the m5!!wish i had one.... :)
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Pat or Karen, can this thread be renamed? I think it is time for it to say High-Performance Luxury Sedans since this class now includes the Audi S6, Mercedes E63 AMG, Quattroporte etc. etc.

M
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Sure, glad to! Look at the categories above - I can add three more, do you want others there? (There isn't a specific E63 AMG category, only the E55.)
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    A casting director seeks drivers who think of their cars as extensions of their personalities and are able to participate in a rally from Vancouver to LA for two weeks in October. Please visit http://www.carspace.com/bullrun for more information.
  • I have looked at the E class and A6 ... and would like to own my first Audi. The only thing that holds me back is to me the extremely ugly trapeze around the logo.

Does anyone know how for how long this will last? If the so called more aggressive logo will go away with these models, then I may go for a used 4.2 (circle version) and then buy a new one in a few years from now if it looks different. But if not ... can they change at least the wheel airbag with an older one, would that one fit?

Also, I would like some of your opinions too. (I now the new trapezoidal logo sort of 'grew on' many of the late model owners). I believe that changing a logo every few years weakens the impact and value of that logo - bimmer and MB are not doing this...
  • Anyone with recommendations for snow tires for an MB E55.
  • w210w210 Posts: 188
    Dunlop M3?
  • Audi's logo has not changed - The rings are intact. A design element of the car has been made to be a signature element. It really is not that big a leap. I had an A4 Cab and the new face just connected the upper and lower grills which made it much more noticeable.

Eventually this signature design element will be refined and altered based on modernizing their design, but the rings will not change. Sort of like the Mercedes grill has altered over the years from a huge chrome piece to a more subtle opening on newer models.

I doubt it will go away, but I really think it will be used to give different models a slightly different feel based upon noticeable differences. Right know the grill looks basically the same on all their models (A3, A4, A6, A8).
  • I am going to look at both this weekend. Has anyone driven these Audis? I am leaning towards the S8. :D
    Check out the High-End Luxury Marques board, there is S8 owner there: BLKHEMI.

M
  • Thanks M. It seems that he really likes his S8. I know I would too, but I am just scared of the depreciation. I don't know how long they will be "hot."

Congratulations on your new car M!!!
  • I took the plunge, and bought the Audi. I posted photos in my Car Space site I gave up a Range Rover Sport, which I really liked, so I hope that I have a positive experience with the Audi. ">
  • Where is the extra money in the S8, excluding the B&O system, of course.

I've seen the ~ $78K S6 and the ~$120K S8. The S8 would be my first choice, or so I thought. The S6 has given me pause.

What are the features, performance and size differences.

The S8 is built on the SWB A8 chassis, yes?
  • The S8 is built on the SWB A8 chassis. I drove both models. The difference between the two, as far as I could tell, is the size of the vehicle. The S8 is plusher with more features. The S8 has a few extra horses too. The S8 has larger rims. The S6 has recaro seats which were very comfortable. I preferred the styling and size of the S8. The S6 seems like a bargain compared to the Benz E63.
    The S6 seems like a bargain compared to the Benz E63.

Well not really. The S6 can't match the performance of the E63 or M5 for that matter hence it should cost less, IMO.

M
  • rockyleerockylee Posts: 14,011
    I really like the new Audi S8. Seems like a great vehicle. Merc, have you read the Motor Trend review for it ? I am impressed, but I guess I should be with it's price-tag, eh ? ;)

Rocky
  • npernper Posts: 6
    Hello,
    I am new to this forum, but I just saw your post, so I wanted to reply. I have picked up my S8 3 weeks ago and cannot be happier. The car is absolutely unbelievable. You can drive it as a complete luxury car, or you can pop it into sport mode and drive it like a bat out of hell. The interior is absolutely the best in class, in my opinion. People have been stopping me everywhere and asking to see the car, engine, inside, etc...
    I drove the S6 as well before I took possession of the 8, and it is nice. But I prefer the space and sumptuouseness of the S8. Let me know if you have any questions.
  • nper,

I am enjoying my S8 too. I have just over 1,000 miles, and have only put it in sport mode once. It did make a big difference. I am looking forward to taking a trip. So far, no problems. :)I posted some photos in my carspace.
  • npernper Posts: 6
    scottphillip,
    Glad to hear you like the car. I also have posted a few pics in my album. The only problem I had was a weird grinding noise when the car has not warmed up yet and I turn the wheel all the way when backing up. It does go away after a few minutes though. They could not find anything wrong at Audi, so I guess it is just one of those quirky things that happens. Otherwise, the car has been perfect. I am amazed I have not gotten a ticket yet, as I will find myself doing 80 without even realizing it.
    In S mode, I have smoked a 996 Carrera and a M3. I love the stealth of the S8, especially after I took the badges off.
  • A national newspaper is looking to interview consumers who have recently purchased a luxury car for the first time and about why you decided to purchase a luxury car. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Friday, November 10, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 EST containing your daytime contact information.

Karen-Edmunds Community Manager