Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

High Performance Luxury Sedans

Comments

• jesseliujesseliu Posts: 41
    You can get current E55 pics from Mercedes web site. If you want a 99 pic, I'll have to find one. I have pictures of my car but don't have a scanner. btw the E55 is 400lbs ligther than the M5. Big difference between the two is Torque.
  • cuadancuadan Posts: 13
    My Humble Opinion :
    M5 rocks...
    Now..take into consideration that I am a poor teenager who only dreams of saving 70k for the M5. Actually, I'm going to be a missionary doctor so I don't expect to buy something like that, but I am an official car freak and Ive been following the latest M5 since the rumors about it started. The E39 M5 is a monster. I think some of the things that appeal most to my sense of car appreciation is the fact that you get the practical and cushy side of the deal as well as the "smoke as much rubber as you want" part of it. It's a "sleeper". That means that punks in Z28's, SS's, Firebirds, and other other kind of Japanese import thats got all kinds of mods on it come to a light, see a sedan and want to race. Little did they know....

BMW is a company of excellent, relentless engineers who really do a job with their cars. My dad owns a 99' 528i and I've driven it many, many times, taking it to the limit in empty parking lots, nice curves in the road, and straight out at lights. However, I was dissapointed when a souped up Z28 with some G daddy drug dealer in it out pulled me around 1 in the morning... Which is to be expected since the bimmer is only a 6; however, all that came to my mind while he was pulling away was : "He'd be cryin' if I had an M5" : )
    Congrats to all you M5 owners. It's a wonderful machine.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Posts: 358
    You're right that the value depends on where you are. California, Texas, and Utah appear to be the states that value the Impala the most. But 13.5K for your friend's car still sounds way low. I wish I'd known about it. The only thing I can think is that either 1) it was wrecked or otherwise beat, 2) It was a Caprice made to look
    like an Impala (cloning is very common), or 3) The guy didn't try very hard and sold his car short.
    If it was really an unwrecked Impala in decent shape with only 55K miles, he could have easily gotten 18-19K on the NAISSO site. Heck, the Edmund's trade-in price is 16.1K.
  • powerisfunpowerisfun Posts: 358
    Thanks, I'll take a look. You're right 400 lbs is a significant difference.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    BMW and Mercedes have kind of shifted roles in some areas. In the not so distant past (old days) the Benz would have been the heavier car, but then again maybe not...the E was always the lean Mercedes of the family.

M
    I totally agree. I think that Mercedes and BMW most definitely have started switching roles in some ways. Before Mercedes wouldn't use all the most fanciest gadgets and would wait til they were proven. Nowadays they are throwing everything in there.
    Also Mercedes are getting more sporty. I'm sure that eventually Mercedes will start offering a manual in some of their sporty models.
  • merc1merc1 Posts: 6,081
    Yeah they sure will. The new C240 V6 is going to have a 6sp manual standard. I would have never thought this a few years ago.

M
  • xorbtantxorbtant Posts: 37
    Well he is not really a friend but an old guy at church I know. He is like 68 years old and was driving a (real impala). He didn't care about his car much and he just wanted a 300M, which I hate! But yeah he got 13.5k for his trade in and he was happy with it. I see impala's all over the road in FL and I don't see the big deal with it. Oh not to leave out that 90% of the Impala drives seem to have 100 spoke gold rims and systems. In other words, a lot of thugs or drug dealers drive it. I even asked a dealer why he chose his car and he said a lot of room for his banging and a quick get away car.
  • guys...why are u placing the A8 in those mid-size sedan category? the car is huge...if you look at the statistics, its bigger than the 7 series.
    the classafications go like this...3 Series (BMW), A4(Audi), C-class(MB), Lexus ES300. than comes 5 series, E-class, A6 , Lexus GS. And than At last come the big boys...A8, 7 series, LS400 , S-class.

P.S.
    1)does anyone know when the S6 is going to come out in america...i read that its a 360 horsepower V8. looks like it more powerful and lighter than E55
    2) I heard that the 2001 is gonna have M5's engine
    (400 hp V8 with ALOT of tourge) can someone image...if a midsize cars with that engine goes from 0-60 in 4.8 sec...than how fast will that small sedan will go? (porshe C4 has a 360 horsepower engine and it does 0-60 in like 4.5 sec.)
  • kappamankappaman Posts: 47
    Even though I am more so a Jaguar guy, out of these super sedans I would probably pick the E55. The Jaguar XJR is nicer looking, the BMW M5 is faster and handles better, but the E55 will be more of a collectors items. It also looks good, handles well, is fast and probably will keep its value longer. It is a car you keep.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Posts: 378
    Anyone knows anything on the 2001 model year E55?
  • ivory1ivory1 Posts: 1
    I went to the BMW dealer this weekend with the intent to order an M5 and they simply brushed me off saying there aren't any available nor are they taking names for a waiting list. If this is the case, it seems BMW should pull the car from their website. I don't know if the problem is a local one or if this is a nation-wide quota problem. Does anyone know what the real situation is regarding M5 availability?
  • kappamankappaman Posts: 47
    Yes, they are available for sell. I've seen them in the Tampa Bay area. I know a salesman at Ferman BMW in Pinellas Park(Phil) who actual sold on to the Mercedes dealership in Clearwater. Isn't that something.
  • mtl3mtl3 Posts: 22
    Don't expect to see these in the Sunday auto ads.
    They are few and far between and going for well above MSRP.

I saw one in a magazine by a private seller that had a delivery number. He indicated that he was entertaining offers above $90k.

It sucks. But, that's the way it appears to be.
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    My rich daughter is hoping to lease an M-5 this fall to drive clients around in. I warned her that it only comes with a six speed manual trans, but it didn't faze her. I also said her clients had better buckle up 'cause it accelerates like a rocket sled. As for American made SUPER sedans, there really are none to speak of. However, the Holden Commodore SS sedan, made in Australia, could give the M-5 some serious competition if it were imported to the states. It's got the Generation III (LT1) engine that makes at least 360-370hp, and looks like the '96 Impala SS.
  • movitnamovitna Posts: 1
    I've been a long time fan of BMW sedans but just made the jump to Mercedes with the ordering of a 2001 E55. This car replaces my 89 BMW 535i and 87 Porsche 911 turbo. I was talked out of the BMW M5 by my German counterpart (Guido Frensemeyer, Mov'it) who sees XJR's, M5's and E55's on a regular basis coming in for brake upgrades. The M5 in Europe is having engine related problems and the brakes (even the 2-pc Euro rotors) are not capable of handling the weight and performance of this BMW super sedan. I drove an E430 was impressed with its performance and suspect the E55 with 100 ft lbs of extra torque should be quite capable. I will replace the brakes on the E55 when I get it (we should have the new Porsche ceramic composite brakes by then) but see no need to alter anything else on the car.

I hope Mercedes continues to evolve this product with further engineering updates but have not heard anything from any of the automotive publications.
    Steve,

I am glad you are ordering an 2001 E55, I have a silver version on order for September delivery.

I test drove a 99 E55 last night with 6,600 miles. It was a blast. The gas was very sensitive at first, I zoomed to 60mph in a couple of heartbeats. It felt glued to the road, much better than a BMW 528. I was very impressed that there were no chassis or tire noise. I had been concerned that, with the low-profile tires, there would be plenty of tire noise. But, I was surrounded by comfy seats and the sales-guy let me drove for nearly 30 minutes at speed up to 90mph. I thought the brakes were terrific, why would you want to replace them with Porsches??
    Just wanted to add that I've not had any problems with a 99 E55 brakes. I have taken it thru some hard cornering in the mountains and where my old Prelude with upgraded brakes had quite a bit of fade, the E55 had absolutely zero.
    So I read in Automobile magazine today that MB will likely put out a super charged E55 with 450bhp in 2002. Okay, should I cancel my 2001 E55 with only 349 and wait another 1.5 years???

I don't think so ! 450 is a little too much, indeed!
  • mwfmwf Posts: 1
    My S-Type has stalled twice within a mile of morning startup. Occurred both times while in a slight right turn.
    First happened at about 2k miles. Then today with about 3.5k miles now on it.
    Anyone else have this happen? Any thoughts?
    Thanks...