Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition engine cutting off while driving

floody3floody3 Posts: 2
I have a 2003 Expedition; it has been cutting off while driving. 6 times. Taken it to the Ford dealership each time and they can't figure it out. At first they took a guess that it might be the fuel pump; wasn't going to spend $700+ on a guess. Then they said after the it broke down on them it was the fuse box. Just replaced the fuse box; picked up the vehicle and was driving home and it cut out on us again. With the exception of last night the dome lights and radio lights have been on, but this last time everything was off and it took 20 minutes for it to restart. VERY frustrating that the dealership can't find the answer.

Comments

• macitmacit Posts: 2
    It is the fuse relay. At Ford Dealership, the item is listed part # F5TZ*14N089*B RELAY LIST PRICE $16.24. This relay has been replaced twice in our 2003 Ford Expedition. We were on the interstate when our vehicle shut down completely and had hard time maneuvering it. Vehicle would turn on and off. Always keep one in stock in vehicle.
  • bluyobluyo Posts: 1
    Hi, mine has aproblem where the lights start dimming and the gauge the marks the electrical power starts going down until it goes dead..... but if I stop accelerating the power goes up? is this the same problem you have? Thanks!
  • That sounds like an alternator going bad.
  • rebsallenrebsallen Posts: 1
    Same problem. Replaced the fuel pump, battery, and relay. This has consistently continued after all of that. Something has to keep the relay going bad over and over if that's what it is.
  • I have the same issue. Did you find a resolution?

Thanks!!!!
  • floody3floody3 Posts: 2
    i had to get a new fuse box
  • I have a1997 ford exp. I have never had this problem before. the first time it did this i thought it was the fuel pump. I replaced it and it still is doing it. Now we found out that i keep blowing the fues. And everytime i put one in it blow again. Did anyone find a short some where. So i didnt even need a fuel pump it was the fues all the time. :mad:
  • fnoelfnoel Posts: 4
    edited October 2010
    Hey guys, mines recently started to randomly die at any speed or at idle. Ive cleaned MAF sensor with sensor cleaner, changed air filter and fuel filter, oil change, and lucas injector treatment. The problem went away for about a month then came back with vengeance!!. It now stall out 10 minutes on the DOT after starting... after idle or driving. That tells me its not mechanical and must be something electrical getting hot and shorting out or losing contact. Usually its starts back up and I floor it to wherever I have to go with no problems but past two weeks it wouldnt start back up and had it towed twice. First mechanic said its losing fuel pressure before it cuts out, he held it for the night and he couldnt repeat the problem after letting it run for almost 2 hours with the gauges on. Picked it up drove it fine for a week, then died doing 55 this afternoon after smelling what i thought was my amp getting hot but was the FUSE PANEL. I immediately pull over and pull off the fuse panel and smelled something burning and seeing a little grey smoke. I was excited not mad that the problem maybe showed its hand, so I towed it to another shop a few hours go. I am in NO WAY thread jacking, just giving my you guys my 2 cents and also looking for a solution like the thread starter. I have a fuel pump coming from ebay, and im also thinking about the fuel pump driver module which can fry the fuse box (google the problems about the F-150), and of course fuse box. (All of course if the truck stays dead and not come back alive and the mechanic doesnt find the problem). I hope the truck stays dead, makes it easier to find the problem. Thanx guys for any suggestions. 5.4/E.B
  • I have finally fixed my stalling problem in my 2003 ford expedition and wanted to share the repair with you, first of all for the safety of our families, and the cost of everything the mechanics think is wrong (even most ford mechanics are not aware of this fix) I have been lucky and never did the coil packs, fuel pump and new throttle body and valve. I did waste money on the camshaft sensor and IAC control valve; I did keep the old one so I have a back up if I need it in the future. I didn’t try the high octane fuel fix because I heard of this year throwing spark plugs which are big bucks to repair. Putting on this part and looking at the old one makes me think I didn’t even need a new one, but didn’t know what to expect when I bought it. The bracket connects the alternator to the positive terminal on your battery. If you start at the battery + terminal it has 2 red wires coming out of it. They are both usually red and about the same thickness. One of them goes into a long black rectangle clip that says “fusable Link” or something like that. Then comes out the other side and goes to the alternator. Past the fusable link box there will be 2 wires that split off of this wire. If you are in front of the truck one wire runs towards you and is pretty short. It plugs into another wire. The second wire is longer and it runs away from you THIS IS the wire you need to follow. It runs back towards the battery into a plug under it. Follow this wire from where it comes off of the big wire. You will find it resting on a silver/aluminum tube (its an AC pipe) Flip the wire over where it is touching this pipe, you will find the wire is rubbed down to the bare metal!!! It is randomly shorting out your engine and you will STALL. If I didn’t by the part I would try to tape it up, tape the pipe it rests on as well or get some foam tubing for the pipe, if the wires are too worn, looks like you could always use a wire nut.
    Your Are WELCOME
  • I've got a 98 5.4l 4x4 with 139k miles. Initially the problem started with the PATS system failing...turn the car off and could not get the car started again as the alarm system armed itself. Had the keys and ignition reprogrammed and seem to fix the problem. Shortly after the engine would stutter and sometimes stall and would restart. Took back to our guy and we were having a devil of time repeating the experience. Eventually he finds a lose ignition wire and believes that was the fix. A mile from the shop it dies again. He comes back out and takes it back to his shop. After doing some investigation he lands on the BCM or what Ford calls the GEM, after testing it he says it is okay but then finds his way to the ECM, electronic control module. He removed it had it tested and the read was it was shorting out causing the engine stutter and engine cutting off. He looking for the right code for ECM and should have it back next week but that said wondering if anybody else with the same problem landed on the ECM as the culprit??
  • my expedition dies out every once in a while sound like fuel problem but when i start it up it idles fine revs fine drive for couple of hours then same thing again loses power and just dies rpm jus bounces on gauge then start it again sometime fine sometime not fine when its fine drive back on the road again good for a week then happens again same thing dies out not good for my family and kids its freakin me out was that the same symptoms you were having with yours mechanic said its puzzling please let me know thanks
  • finding the correct code for the ECM seemed to be the issue so he found a place that rebuilds them. Finally picked it up today and she rides like a champ....fingers crossed that fixed it !!
  • deemac98deemac98 Posts: 1
    Thanks man. I was having terrible trouble with my car and was completely stumped until me and mechanic read ur post. Thanks so much man. Ur post is greatly appreciated. Daniel Cormier
  • My 2002 Expedition quit on me today, but the engine won't turn over now. No tell-tell signs of the engine locking up. A mechanic told me that the cam shaft was about to going bad by listening to the tick in the motor. I was told that if the cam broke the engine would still turn over. There are no leaks. There IS oil in it. Is it electrical? Please help.
  • jorgemlhjorgemlh Posts: 1
    Thank you for all the Usefull Information, my 2001 for expedition had the same problem will start and die witn in 3 minutes. i was getting ready to tow my truck to a mechanic and guess what lol, the problem was fuse #4 a 7.5 Amp that was burn and my problem was fixed thank you edmunds Community and God bless. :)
  • arkiejimarkiejim Posts: 1
    Thanks a million, Tony!!!! You saved me a trip to the dealership! That wire is EXACTLY what my problem was!!! There are even burn marks on that A/C line! I'm going to tape it up and use a plastic tie to keep it away from that line.
    Mine was perplexing because the engine only stalled when we were running the A/C! And here in Georgia it is already hitting the high 90's, so it was getting to be a REAL pain in the behind!
    I'll be eternally grateful for a day or two!
    ArkieJim
    PS...I'm new to Georgia. I'm originally from Arkansas, hence the handle.
  • buildit2209buildit2209 Posts: 1
    edited June 2011
    this has happen to me a few times so i will tell my meahanic about this. i learned that now i can keep running 70 just put the car in neutrel and shut the engine completley off and back on agian it starts right back up and running back at 70 . its pretty scary when u have a semi on ur [non-permissible content removed] though... but thanks i will have him take a look at that.
  • majicdawnmajicdawn Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    My expedition runs great, but lately it has been cutting out, we found that if you open the gas cap it idles back up.it makes a scary sucking noise tho.....drove it 50 miles the other day in the rain and it didn't do it once, but when its hot out it seems to do it alot... ...Has anyone else had this problem? Or does anyone know how to fix it? :confuse:
  • I just wanted to say thanks for the info. My 2003 ford Expedition was shutting off randomly and I could not find the problem - nethier could the ford dealer - I gave them one try. I read the forums and decided to check the electrical wires that are on top of the aluminum tube that is next to the battery. As I was checking the wire, I felt the copper strands poking my finger. That was it!. This must be a common problem that is not very noticable by looking under the hood. I just wanted to say thanks. You saved me a lot of time and money.
  • I have a 2001 it starts missing while driving under a load it runs fine while it is in park.Has anyone suggested a fix for this????