Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Expedition engine cutting off while driving

13»

Comments

• cpitkin said:

My 2003 5.4 Expedition Eddie Bauer was losing power and stalling intermittently for about a year. Same kind of issue as described here on this thread, stalling and restarting almost right away. It would be fine for a couple months and then stall out frequently, then it would be ok for awhile. No codes, no check engine light.
    I replaced the battery cable so many have mentioned which was rubbing on the AC pipe. The replacement cable from the dealer has a braided anti-chafe cable so that is a good part to replace regardless.. I also had the PCM programed by the dealer and yet it kept stalling.

This month it started to stall on a much more regular basis and I was able to get it to happen on my mechanic's watch. He had a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and it was losing pressure at stall. He figured it was the pressure regulator or part of the entire fuel pump assembly. There is no fuel pump control module as in newer models, the PCM controls the fuel pump from what I understand. So he replaced the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank., but the next day it hesitated at highway speeds twice and then stalled out at low speeds twice. uhg!

Upon looking into the fuel issue more I came across these two threads...one with a complete no-run and one with an intermittent.
    http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2011/03/2003-ford-expedition-no-run-no-fuel.html
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1149113-help-fuse-box-replacement-2003-eddie-b- - auer-expedition.html

Both authors describe a bad fuse box design, either from a windshield seal allowing moisture into the box or a bad circuit board design. I ordered an OEM fuse box from here:
    http://www.autopartscheaper.com/2003-Ford-Expedition-Fuse-Central-Junction-Box-j- - un-p/3l1z-14a068-aa.htm

They had it in stock and $60 less than dealer price. The part came in a Ford Factory sealed box with all new fuses and relays installed. Installation took less than 30 minutes. I didn't take the time to disassemble the box to get to the relay. I'm guessing though that since I have yet to have the truck stall again and have replaced every other part in the fuel system I finally have found the issue. My mechanic did believe that the fuel pump assembly may have been the root cause of the relay overheating. Saying that if it was drawing too many amps and the relay was soldered on it could have been the reason for it to lose connectivity. I guess that plausible. I would have the amperage draw tested before replacing the fuse box just to ensure the fuel pump assembly is OK and that you don't blow another $300 fuse box.

I have a 2004 Lincoln Navigator 4x4. The above post absolutely NAILED my problem. Anyone with this problem should definitely follow the above link to the "Sparky's Answers" forum as I used that as a guide for removing my fuse box. When I did, I found no water damage, but the EXACT same post of the exact same relay had burned, which makes me think this is an almost inevitable failure for 2003-2004 Expeditions and Navigators.

My symptoms were as described by others before, though I had only 4 failures total over about 3 months time. The truck would stall, twice while under full power on the freeway, which necessitated coasting to the shoulder. But then it would start right back up and act like it never happened...making you question your sanity. For me, it would work great for a few weeks before doing it again. I have a VERY good mechanic and he went though the whole rigmarole of checking the fuel system and all of the vacuum lines, finally replacing a filthy fuel filter. But it happened again just two weeks later, shattering the false sense of security.

The Sparky's post is a good guide for getting at the fuse box, though there are some details about removal that he did not mention, but they may be specific to Navigators. Getting the cover off of the battery cable connection was a bear for me. I had to do it last after I had everything else disconnected and the box freed from the body so I could twist it around to get a good look at it. There are two places where the cover clips on that are impossible to get at with adult fingers until the box is free. I wouldn't try it before that unless you have a five year old daughter with enough grip strength to crush a walnut in one hand.

Also, though there is only one bolt holding the box in place, there are two other sort of pyramid shaped posts that anchor the box to the body. These each have a horizontal, plastic tongue that goes through a square hole and then clips to the body when the box is slid toward the firewall. These will require a twisting/sliding/lifting motion to free them. They cannot just be pulled straight away from the body.

Anyway, if you have these symptoms, I would be sure you don't have the battery wire arcing on the AC pipe first, as that is easy to check. But after that, it will be well worth pulling the fuse box and checking. It will take about an hour to pull and then dis-assemble. Be sure to use your phone to take a photo of the fuses before you remove them, because they have to come out before you can pull the circuit board to see the solder joints of the relays.

Good Luck and, yes, this should DEFINITELY have been a recall!!!
  • cpitkin said:

My 2003 5.4 Expedition Eddie Bauer was losing power and stalling intermittently for about a year. Same kind of issue as described here on this thread, stalling and restarting almost right away. It would be fine for a couple months and then stall out frequently, then it would be ok for awhile. No codes, no check engine light.
    I replaced the battery cable so many have mentioned which was rubbing on the AC pipe. The replacement cable from the dealer has a braided anti-chafe cable so that is a good part to replace regardless.. I also had the PCM programed by the dealer and yet it kept stalling.

This month it started to stall on a much more regular basis and I was able to get it to happen on my mechanic's watch. He had a fuel pressure gauge hooked up and it was losing pressure at stall. He figured it was the pressure regulator or part of the entire fuel pump assembly. There is no fuel pump control module as in newer models, the PCM controls the fuel pump from what I understand. So he replaced the fuel pump assembly in the fuel tank., but the next day it hesitated at highway speeds twice and then stalled out at low speeds twice. uhg!

Upon looking into the fuel issue more I came across these two threads...one with a complete no-run and one with an intermittent.
    http://www.sparkys-answers.com/2011/03/2003-ford-expedition-no-run-no-fuel.html
    http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1149113-help-fuse-box-replacement-2003-eddie-b- - auer-expedition.html

Both authors describe a bad fuse box design, either from a windshield seal allowing moisture into the box or a bad circuit board design. I ordered an OEM fuse box from here:
    http://www.autopartscheaper.com/2003-Ford-Expedition-Fuse-Central-Junction-Box-j- - un-p/3l1z-14a068-aa.htm

They had it in stock and $60 less than dealer price. The part came in a Ford Factory sealed box with all new fuses and relays installed. Installation took less than 30 minutes. I didn't take the time to disassemble the box to get to the relay. I'm guessing though that since I have yet to have the truck stall again and have replaced every other part in the fuel system I finally have found the issue. My mechanic did believe that the fuel pump assembly may have been the root cause of the relay overheating. Saying that if it was drawing too many amps and the relay was soldered on it could have been the reason for it to lose connectivity. I guess that plausible. I would have the amperage draw tested before replacing the fuse box just to ensure the fuel pump assembly is OK and that you don't blow another $300 fuse box.

Experienced similar problems with my 2003 5.4 Eddie Bauer Expedition. Bought truck new in '03 and have 170k miles. Has performed well until recently. Truck stalled in heavy Interstate traffic twice in the last six months. Luckily was able to coast to emergency lane and restart the truck after a few minutes. Unnerving to say the least. My wife also experienced it stalling during in-town driving once, but truck began running before she coasted to a stop.

I have replaced the alternator harness to eliminate the grounding issue to the AC pipe under the hood with no success as it stalled on the interstate.

These sites mentioned in the above post were EXTREMELY helpful to diagnose the problem. My fuse panel has an intermittent operating fuel pump relay that has begun melting the outer case.

Will be replacing the fuse panel. Eventhough the Expedition has performed pretty flawlessly for nearly 13 years, i am disappointed in the design of such an important function of the vehicle. Again, it was very unnerving to have the vehicle stall in heavy Interstate traffic.

Thanks to those who posted comments and pics of the panel replacement and pics of the damaged relay.
  • My problem was solved based on this post. Thank you. I want to share the story to benefit others.

I too have a 2003 Expedition, 209000 miles. The engine stalled 9 times over 11 months; 2x waiting at a traffic light, 4x at 70MPH on the interstate, 3x at residential speeds, a couple other random times. Full fuel tank, half full tank, nearly empty tank - didn't make a difference. Fuel filter was new/replaced. Essentially an un-diagnosable problem. Until I read this forum.

The first item I checked was the wire and taped it up ("You will find it resting on a silver/aluminum tube (its an AC pipe) Flip the wire over where it is touching this pipe, you will find the wire is rubbed down to the bare metal!!! It is randomly shorting out your engine and you will STALL")

That was not the cause of my problem.

During my Thanksgiving 2015 trip the expedition stalled 9 times and would not restart and had to be towed. Fortunately.
    I insisted the mechanic go straight to the inside fuse box at the passenger side of the truck. The relay was fried, from dripping / leaking water from the windshield. He also said the heater core seemed like it might have been dripping at one point as well, onto the fuse box. He gave me the old fuse box for inspection. Either way, we replaced the fuse box (put a cover of loose plastic over the fuse box). No problems for 50+ days. (as I write this it is now 1/14/16).
13»