Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi S4 and S4 Cabriolet

I just read the Audi press release on the S4,
which is set to arrive next month here in the US.
I have to say, it's got some very impresive
numbers. The engine sounds amazing, 2.7L 30V
biturbo. According to Audi, it puts out 250hp and
258 lbs-ft torque. Audi quotes the 0-60 at 5.9
seconds for the manual, and 6.5 for the auto.
Nice! The interior looks good from the pictures
I've seen. The MSRP is under 40K, this seems like
a lot of car for that price. Could this be the car
to challenge BMW's M3? Granted, the S4 is an AWD
sedan and the M3 a RWD coupe or convertable, but
they seem like they could be very close in
performance.

Has anyone else seen or heard anything about this
car? This seems like a car worth saving up for.
Tagged:

Comments

• S4 looks to be an excellent car but M3 apparently is better on the track. S4 looks to be better on the street in everyday driving due to its AWD.

you may not be able to get one close to $40,000 for a couple years due to expected demand.

in the sept'99 car & driver, S4 won comparison test of sports sedans, beating M3, C43, and 9-3 Viggen.

S4 barely edged out the M3 for the win, but the article noted this particular M3 was a little slower than other M3 models they've tested.

even though its a sedan, S4 is being discussed in topic 311 of the coupes and convertibles forum.
  • I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the S4. Based on the advertised numbers, it would seem to offer a lot of performance and value. However, the power to weight ratio makes me a little suspicious of a 5.9 second 0-60 time, and the "limited availability" doesn't auger well for picking up one at a bargain price.
  • 6spd6spd Posts: 3
    Depending where you're located of course. I'm in L.A. and have talked with dealers about the car. They all want deposits and tell me there's a four month wait. I think it's B.S. and in a month or so anyone with 40K will be able to walk in and sign a deal. I just want to drive it before I sign on the dotted line. My A4's lease is up this week so the timing is pretty good. I just find the A4 a bit sluggish without any torque, so my hope is that the S4 is really everything they all say. Otherwise...I dunno, I mean I really don't want an M3. I'd rather be in an M Coupe than that. Any other options that y'all can think of would be appreciated but I do like the way that Audi appoint their cars.
  • All around drivability is the S4's forte. I suspect as 6sp mentioned in a few months the S4 fever will quell and dealers should be amenable to bargining. The next M3 should be interesting.
  • fxsfxs Posts: 50
    Beaudry Motors of Tucson has a S4 with 16 miles on it for $40K. It's black with I guess the cold weather,convenience,and 6-disc changer packages.
  • fxsfxs Posts: 50
    Beaudry Motors of Tucson has a S4 with 16 miles on it for $40K. It's black with I guess the cold weather,convenience,and 6-disc changer packages.
  • richw3richw3 Posts: 2
    THE REVIEWS BLEW ME AWAY. MY CURRENT LEASE IS UP THE END OF OCT. AND MY DP IS DOWN. I DROVE THE CAR BRIEFLY ON AN OPEN BACK STREET NEAR THE DEALER AND IT WAS QUITE A TREAT EVEN THOUGH IT WAS ALL STRAIGHT AWAY DRIVING. THE DEALER IS IN N.J.NEAR N.Y.C. AND IS OFFERING $1000. OFF LIST AND HAS A FEW IN STOCK WITH MORE ARRIVING SHORTLY. THE LEASE DEAL IS WORKED OUT STRAIGHT AWAY AS IT SHOULD BE. NO HIDDEN HANKY PANKY. I CAN NOT WAIT TO GET MY HANDS ON THE SUCKER NEXT WEEK.
  • judysljudysl Posts: 2
    Here are some errors that I noticed:

No mention of 6 speed manual
    No mention of standard xenon headlights
    Wheels are actually 17 X 7.5, not 17 X 7
    Tires are not all season, they're also Z rated
    Driver and passenger are 10 way powered, not 8
    leather door trim, not cloth
    first-aid kit in back armrest
  • judysljudysl Posts: 2
    Many dealers have S4's that are unspoken for and they've started arriving here in the US.
  • cmohr1cmohr1 Posts: 1
    I took the S4 out for a test drive and took a posted 15 mph curve at 80 mph. The car started to slide a little but I gassed it and it amazingly held its line very well. The salesman was with me during the test drive and said "had you gone that fast around that curve in an M3 you might not have made it." I must say that I am extremely impressed the S4's handling and performance. Even if the S4 doesn't necessarily beat the M3 "under ideal conditions" (though I'm sure it's very close, if not a little faster than the M3 under ideal conditions), the S4 will surely perform better than the M3 when the weather gets nasty. I'm sure the S4 would do awesome in snow with some all-weather tires, while the M3 is hardly at home on snow regardless of the tires. I currently live in a state that gets a fair amount of snow where it just isn't practical to own a BMW (or any rear-wheel drive car for that matter, unless it's a very heavy rear-wheel drive car such as a huge Mercedes or an old Cadillac) unless you have the money for another vehicle (like an SUV for e.g.) you can drive in the snow confidently. With the S4 you don't need another vehicle. I'm also considering moving to Colorado where the S4 would be a better choice than the M3 for driving on the mountain roads. The car also has very impressive acceleration and a "high-performance-sports-car-feeling" interior. It also is practical since it is a four door sedan and could be used as a family car if there are no more than three children. I see the S4 as being a "practical Porsche" since it handles and performs so well, yet is a four door.
    I also like the fact that the S4 is not pretentious in appearance(interestingly the S4 looks like a lot like a Honda Civic and will likely go unnoticed), therefore it doesn't attract vandals nor cops. The only people that would really notice the car are car enthusiasts who know the S4 is awesome, while to the un-informed it's just another unpretentious/non-standoutish car (Audi's in general are not really "eye-catchers", which in my mind is a positive attribute) or just another A4 to the semi-informed. Don't get me wrong the S4 is definitely a sharp looking car, it just doesn't look like a fast nor an expensive car, it therefore can theoretically remain unnoticed to those you would prefer not notice the car anyway (such as vandals and police). The M3 would, on the other hand, attract vandals and cops, giving the owner a sense of insecurity (but some people love to attract all kinds of attention). However, if you do want the S4 to not be "stealthy", then simply get one in yellow, red, or blue colors and with the dichromatic seats (which I admit are very athletic looking). I prefer the "stealthy" silver S4 (for avoiding cops and vandals) with the single color seats (for vandal avoidance). It really just depends on your feelings of risk (i.e., getting speeding tickets and getting your car keyed/vandalized) versus benefit (i.e., getting a good feeling from noticing people salivate while they look at your S4).
    I definitely have my heart set on purchasing the S4 but am going to wait a year or so in hopes that by then my bargaining efforts won't prove fruitless. I have also decided that if my bargaining is fruitless I'll still buy the car. I must have it, even if I have to pay MSRP! It is a lot of car even at the MSRP.
    I finally found one that didn't have a security deposit on it and so I put my $1000 down and will test drive it today. The one thing I'm slightly apprehensive about is the engine noise. I have a 98 A4 which I frequently stall out in from a stand still going into first. I can't hear the engine and there's very little vibration in the throttle. My understanding of the S4 from reading reviews is that the engine is just as quiet "eerily so" Road & Track put it. Seems odd, but that maybe the one thing that will keep me from buying it. A twin turbo 250bhp 6 should be heard don't you think? I guess on the other hand one can look at it as a delight. Here you have this very powerful engine in a modest sedan frame, it's kind of consistent with the design of the car that it wouldn't roar. After all Audi is nothing if not subtle. The only other car I'm considering at present is the new Boxter S. But I already have a 2 seater roadster. I can't really validate getting another.
    judysl mentioned that they come with Z-rated tires. I looked closely at the S4 yesterday and it was fitted with Bridgestones. Not Z rated ones at that. A bit of a disappointment.
  • what a great car! The sales guy did a better job than I, but I had my fun. It is definately subtle enough to not be noticed. It did feel a bit short on the shifting, but it kicks in really well on 2nd. Too bad I had no room to take it to 6th.
    ps. Payed above msrp. (not by much, but still..) Oh well.
  • jwolffjwolff Posts: 19
    Drove an S4 (imola yellow with onyx leather)without the dealer riding shotgun. Great car better overall than an M3. I really didn't like the short 1st gear or the long throws on the 2-3 upshift. In fact the 5 spd on my 2.8 A4 quattro felt much more connected. Also, wish Audi would have sprung for Bilstein struts as opposed to Sachs.

A short shift kit would make this car almost perfect. I would hold off buying one for at least 6-12 mos. Would never pay MSRP for one. In time they will be selling for 5% over invoice, esp when the new M3 with 320 hp comes out next year.
  • The new M3's are gonna have 340HP next year, FYI.
    I believe it when the M3 hit the dealerships. If they run 340hp their prices will be in the low 50's which will make the S4 all the more attractive.
    I'll believe it when the M3 hits the dealerships. If they run 340hp their prices will be in the low 50's which will make the S4 all the more attractive.
  • sbillssbills Posts: 1
    You can get an S4 for $40K, at least here in Raleigh/Durham. I ordered one back in May, and then cancelled to build a new home. It came in last week, and it was $40,823.

A Laser red S4 just came in 2 days ago, and its the same price. It wasn't pre-sold, either.

Check out my S4 site at http://www.s4.anyspeed.com.
  • Silver with gray leather interior, premium sound system, xenon headlights, comfort/convenience (however they call it) package, all for $40k.

I tried negotiating the price but I got a flat out "no" by the dealer. It was pay or thank-you-very-much you can leave now. The claim made by the dealer? Prices on the S4 are not going down--they are limited on production, so what else can you expect, I suppose.

Anyway, I love the car. Just to think that the 250 HP 2-turbo engine could beat a 240 HP M3 makes me grin while I am behind the stearing wheel. Then again, never driven an M3 (I owned a BMW before the S4) so I can't really speculate all that much. It would be fun to confront one, though.

If anybody out there is skeptical about getting an S4 my recommendation is simple: snap out of it, head towards the dealership and get one! Do not delay.

If there is one thing that I don't like too much is the gas consumption (17/24). Hey, with such an engine I wouldn't expect any more than that so I guess I'll have to live with it.

To sum all this up: get the S4, is it one HELL of a car.
    Drove an S4 recently. I have also driven an M3 so here's my 0.02. The S4 is much smoother and feels tighter while the M3 is more raw edge feeling. Also the S4 is sneaky quick. Meaning if you're not careful 100 mph comes up quick.

Draw backs. Short 1st gear, long notchy 2-3 upshifts. The 5spd in my A4 feels more connected. I believe that after 6-12mos S4 prices will be more reasonable ie 5% above invoice.Another reason to wait is that the new M3 will be out and should also make S4 prices more reasonable.

As for dealers saying this is a limited edition car, I remain skeptical. I mean to bring over and federalize a new motor just to put in a few cars is not cost effective.

Mark my words in 1yr S4 proces will come down and there will be plenty of em out there.