Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi S4 and S4 Cabriolet

Comments

• I am currently searching for a S4 and have 2 I am looking at,

car 1- 2000 silver S4, manual, sports package 46,000 miles no warranty, seems like the guy hasnt replaced anything major.
    car 2- 2000 dark blue s4, auto, standard package, 70,000 miles, he purchased from audi and has until august with his warranty. He has all maintenance records and takes it to audi for everything.

Which is the better deal? They both are selling for approx. $16k
    Thanks
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    I'm thinking you meant to say that car 1 is a 2002?
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    I just bought a Sprint Blue S4 Cabriolet, top-of-the-line except for a four spoke steering wheel. It is absolutely gorgeous- I don't know why you'd want to tamper with its classic yet modern lines, but I'll tell you what you can do anyway. No, you cannot get the deck lid spoiler, that was built specifically for the sedan, because they have different trunk lids. If you look up, 'Audi A4 Cabriolet Body Kits', you may find something, or better yet, change the A4 to S4, but that may be too complicated. You can probably get an aggressive yet understated chin spoiler, which would look good on the already-beautiful A4 shape. You can also get bigger wheels, preferably Audi ones, because other companies look too 'Dubbed' for it. You still want M3 drivers to think you're an A4, but then dust them at the stoplight, right? And, by the way, it looks pretty masculine in brilliant black or dolphin gray, without substituting its beauty. I'd really rather opt for the creamy sound of the S4's V8 than a vacuum-cleaner type sound of the M3's inline six, and you really have more stealth and exclusivity driving an Audi, with better interior quality, more torque off the line, and the look on the face of a sports car driver when he stares into your 'lesser' four rings. It's just cool to have an Audi.
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    As much as I like (have considered buying) an S4, I don't think it will out accelerate M3 anytime soon. It did, however, outran an M3 when TopGear (British Automag/TV program) ran them in a race track.
    Who are you answering to? I didn't say the S4 could dust an M3. And, who really notices four tenths of a second? I mean REALLY! We may notice one whole second, but we can't even calculate four tenths of a second with just our minds, unless we have ESP[N]. Lol. Are you going to buy an S4? You're making a mistake if you don't. It's just the fullness that the Audi has, that the BMW doesn't. It's very possessing.
  • tigger5tigger5 Posts: 2
    I am just about ready to commit to an S4 cabrio, but am still hung up on the wheels. I like the Avus wheels, but love the 18" 5 spoke, S-line wheels that are available as an option on the A4 3.0. I was told that the S-line wheels are not available on the S4 cabrio (kind of strange) - has anyone heard otherwise or have any ideas on how to get the wheels I want without doing it aftermarket at additional cost. Finally, dealer is quoting $1,000 below MSRP for an in-stock car - is this a good deal??
    I really wouldn't know what to tell you about the wheels... You really should buy them, but if you're desperate not to spend the extra money, try getting the five-spokes on the S4 sedan. If you can't get that, I don't think wheels are a big enough problem for you to just not get the car. And, yes, if this is a 2005 S4 Cabriolet, then $1K off is a good deal. We didn't get that.
  • carlsbadcarlsbad Posts: 2
    What do people know about the 2006 S4 cab. Will it have the new body style? What about the interior, will it be the same as the 2005.5 S4? A picture at the 2004 Paris auto show touted a 2006 S4 cab with the old body style. Any thoughts?
  • rkbrkb Posts: 3
    I was in the market for a new car (as someone above said - divorce will do that to you) as I "lost" my daily driver, a 2002 BMW 330CiC with Premium, Sport, Cold pkgs. After much research, the choices came down to MB E or CLK, Acura RL, or an Audi A6. After driving everything MB had to offer, including a new CLS (and while the SL was tempting, I need a daily driver, not a toy) - MB came out as overpriced and quite frankly blah. I liked the CLK 500 - but again, not as practical a car (and too flashy for parking in an open parking lot). And, the diesel E is not quite up to the European diesels - we do have our non-low-sulfur gas to thank for that.
    Never drove the Acura - I have an old 90 Legend coupe, and the new cars just don't do it for me.
    On to an Audi A6. Will someone please tell the Germans to stop putting the stupid iDrive, Command System, joystick-wheel-button pushing craziness in their cars? It just ruined the car for me. I actually did not even consider the BMW 5 series for that reason. Beautiful car, easy handling, nice interior - but did I mention the spin-a-wheel malarky?
    As a lark I drove the S4. Perfect car for me. The seats are even more comfortable than the BMW 3series in Sport. The interior rivals the MB, even at S levels - the silk leather feels better (hope it holds up). I don't have to worry about back-seat passengers so the tight rear seating doesn't bother me - the car actually doesn't feel any bigger than the convertible I'm leaving behind.
    On top of it all, because of a different car "connection", I'm stepping into a silver/ebony 2005.5 S4 with premium, Sirius, carbon fibre, heated seats, wheel upgrade for less than $52K this week!
  • The new body style is not for me. I like the 2 SD slots but don't want NAV to get it. So there are left over S4's witht the "old" body style.

I got lease quote of about $3700 down with 15K miles and payment of about $575-585 with tax for 39 months. It may have been 36 months but I remember 39.

My brother in law has the tip and loves it. I test drove 6 speed manual today and loved it!!! The clutch action is so light. When I came back to my car (Mini Cooper S) the clutch felt heavy!

TO XJRJAG:

They had plenty of new 2005.5 A4 & S4.

Hear on Audiworld that after May 7th there will be a new lease offer on the new S4.
    Not sure if it's true but might be worth waiting to see.

Dealers I spoke to are trying to twist my arm to buy before end of April.

I dont care about new body style but I loved the arctic S4 with manual I drove. Wish it didn't have the wood trim.
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    The Cabriolet is a seperate production line and will not get any new grill or body changes until the 2007 model year. The 06 is basically carrying on unchanged.

I wish the new 2.0 & 3.2 engines were going in the 06 Cab's, but they will have to make due with the old 1.8 and 3.0 engines.
  • mabodmabod Posts: 11
    I just came from the dealer. e said AUDI will stop production of S4 cab until 2006 model comes out with the new front grill to match all other new audi. I want the old style grill som am looking to buy soon before their aren't available. Someone here said in May "something will change" with the cab. Now I'm confused. Any help out there ?

thanks
    To my knowledge, you will be able to order a 2006 S4 Cabriolet, and they will have the old style grill.

They changed the cupholders on the cab's, and mid year 05's were available with the new MMI Nav screen. That's about it for changes, except for some colors & maybe different wheels.

In terms of "stopping production", Audi shuts down plants for a bit between models years, so that may what your dealer may have been talking about.

You might not be able to order an 05 anymore, and have to wait for 06's, which will arrrive around September.
  • mabodmabod Posts: 11
    Thanks BUT !!!!

I just called my Audi dealer . He said 2006 S$ cab will be the new grill. PERIOD !

where do you get your info ??
    I don't think that makes sense. The A4 Cabs are a totally different production line.

Why would they put the new grill on the S4 and leave the 1.8 & 3.0 the same?

I work for an Audi dealer & the corporate high ups told us it would be 2 summers until we got the new grills & body style on the convertibles, which means 2007 model year.

We'll see as one of us is wrong. It could be me as I'm going on what Audi reps are telling us.
  • bmwcccbmwccc Posts: 234
    rkb

I am assuming because it is a 2005.5 it does not have bluetooth. Do you know what other options are going to be included on the 2006 vs. the 2005.5?

Also, the 52k, before taxes right? What did your car and options invoice at and then what $ amount was the dealer profit on top of the invoice cost? I am trying to find out how much they are dealing right now on the 2005.5.

Also, you made a comparison of the seats being more comfortable than the 330i sport seats. Were those the 2006 330i sport seats or your 2002Ci sport seats?

Thanks
    I just bought a 2005 S4 Cabriolet, so I know more about that, but I can still answer your questions. No, there is no new scheduled body style until all the A4s are redesigned in 2007. The reason for this is that the Cabriolet is newer than the sedan/wagon was, and they didn't think it was old enough yet. The interior will be essentially the same- it'll probably have new colors, though.

I think the '05 is pretty enough already.
  • rkbrkb Posts: 3
    bmwccc:

Correct, no Bluetooth - sorry don't know what the new options for 2006 will be.
    Total invoice was almost identical to invoice as per edmunds.com "New 2005 Audi S4 listing" and the dealer "made" ~$1200 over invoice. This was the first 2005.5 S4 sold at my dealership, the car was traded for from another dealership. Good luck with negotiations, I had several other connections to this dealership and I had done my research in depth - for example, I initially did not want the wheel upgrade, but the car "came" with it, I countered with an offer of cost on the wheels and they immediately accepted. So either, invoice is actually not what we are getting from edmunds.com and kbb.com, or I got "taken" in some other aspect. Funny thing was that the dealer, when I was getting ready to sign papers asked how I knew that the wheels cost $410?
    The seats are compared to a 2002 330CiC with Sport, Premium, and Cold pkgs.

At 500 miles I am even happier with the car! Easy to drive, fun, spirited when you want it to be. Excellent choice for me for my daily driver with 60 miles of highway per day. It's nicely "stealth" with a real muscular feel / look. AC works fast (good thing with the Ebony interior) - just haven't determined if the auto dimming rear view makes any difference at all.
    The controls are really ergonomically excellent - better even than the 2002 BMW.
    Only oddity is the "road feel" that is present in the accelerator. Feels to me like something is grinding, or the brake is on, or just something weird is going on. Never had this feel in a car before - so it'll take some getting used to.
    I'm just guessing- you have an S4 Sedan? Well, my Cabriolet already had a problem. I feel bad to rag on Audi, and this S4 is the best car I've ever owned. Anyway, I've owned it for a little less than two weeks. I haven't needed the A/C or heat yet, because the weather's been pretty perfect here (suburb of Chicago) for the past few days. But, yesterday, it got a bit hotter, so I tried the A/C. Of course, it didn't work. So, I brought the beast to my local Audi dealership to get it fixed, and they give me the most beautiful car: 2002 purple Pontiac Grand Am, for a loaner. It's pathetic- even my 23 year-old daughter said that. I'm embarrassed to drive it, so the only drive I'm planning on doing besides bringing it home is bringing it back to the dealership. I'm currently driving my son's '98 A4 sedan 1.8T. Can't wait to get my convertible back...
  • mav1mav1 Posts: 5
    have been on the market for a new S4. The dealership I leased my last car from has an S4 that I would like to buy. Invoice price for this car is $49,340
    (with options) they want $51,506 this price includes a charge of $506.00 for prep (cleaning etc.)of car and a Document processing fee, that I have never heard of before! and is not on the agreement as a separate item.
    they also would like me to buy an extended warranty. I am not sure what to do.
    Is this $506.00 charge for preping the car legitimate? and is $51,000 a good price.
    Please help! buying cars has really stressed me out. I have not been able to sleep much.
    $506.00 prep is just a dealer add on.......it doesn't come from the factory.

Buying an extended warranty on a S4 is not a bad idea if you plan to keep the car for more than 4 years / 50 k miles. But don't be pressured into it.

S4's are out there, but it's a limited production car and dealers are not going to give them away. If you can get $750-1000 off MSRP, it's not a bad deal. You might get a little more (older body) beacuse the new body style w/ the larger grill just came out. But both cars are still 2005's on the window sticker and it might not matter that much.
    Sorry, I was wrong on my last reply to you. Actually, it's a secret I think, but the Cabriolet is being updated in winter this year, or spring next year. It's going to have similar-but-better-looking headlights than the sedan, and will retain its flowing body. I'm pretty sure the A4 Cabriolet will get the 2.0T engine standard, and the 3.2 optional. The S4's engine will be unchanged, but the outside will probably have new wheels and possibly a more aggresive bodykit.
  • ilight4uilight4u Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2004 A4 Cab, and would like to add a "perimeter sensor" or "field disturbance sensor" to the factory alarm system to activate the alarm when someone reaches inside the car, or is too close to it. Has anyone found a way to add these sensors, or to integrate a Viper aftermarket alarm system with those features into the Audi A4 and have it controled by the Audi key-fob / factory alarm system?
    ilight4u
  • aec11aec11 Posts: 13
    I took delivery of a 2005.5 S4 on April 1, and have already had a serious problem with the tire pressure monitoring system. It had already acted up the first week I had the car, and then a few weeks later it went out completely. It's been in the shop for over a week now, and my dealer is replacing the whole system. I understand Audi has had lots of problems with this system over the last two years or so. Anyone have any information on this?
  • pngpng Posts: 3
    Just got an s4 avant 2005.5 with the new navigation system. First off I love this car but the whole stereo navigation display is a bit beat. The color shemes for the music are prtty ugly.

The mp3 cards work great see song info title etc, but when I use the cd changer no cd information or track info. It just states cd1 cd2 etc and then track 01 track 02, no specefic cd or track info. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is. Thanks for any feed back
    I have the '05.5 S4 Cabriolet, and have the same MMI-like system as you. Yes, that's how it's supposed to be. The system isn't a CD/MP3-reader. Mine does that, too. I love the car, though- it's gorgeous!
    My outgoing car was a leased '00 Audi A6 2.7t. So, after that car, I was a performance driver. I drove three S4s (two were sedans, one convertible) and a new A6 4.2. My son likes cars as much as I do, and he almost fell asleep in the A6! It must've been the gray interior, but that car has lost some excitement. Sounds like the new 5 Series? Well, I fell in love with the S4 Cabriolet. As you've probably read, I have a Sprint Blue one in my garage right now! That car is just beautiful... everyone looks at it! And, one of the best parts, I dusted a blue M3 convertible from two stoplights the other day! And it was the new one, like the '04-05! That made me happy... well, this is the best, nicest, [most expensive] and fastest car I've ever had.
  • alexs4alexs4 Posts: 3
    I love my new 2005 S4. Even though I've already had to take it in for some sensor problems. I jumped a hill going about 90MPH and scraped up the bottom. Now I have an oil leak, like a week later. Do you think it's related? And how should I deal with it? Take it to the dealer or someplace else? It's on lease, are they going to be mad about the scrapes, etc?
  • wallabyguywallabyguy Posts: 20
    I just bought a 2005.5 S4 Cabriolet (premium, heated seats, tiptronic, sirius, nav., silver w/ ebony). My wife always wanted an A4 cabriolet since she saw her first one back in 2001. I had a 2005 Elise which was totalled by an Econovan with a driver on a cell phone back in November. The docs said no lotus for another year or so while I heal so my wife got her car (with a V8 which she didn't expect).

The car is a wonderful balance between sport and luxury. It doesn't depend on lots of electronic gadgetry to obtain impressive ride, handling and performance. I love the quattro but expected it since I've owned several Audis in the past. I fought my wife on the Nav system. She thought it was 2k better spent elsewhere but I put my foot down. 1 week into ownership (and 1200 mile later) she loves it. Not only does it tell you where the closest gas station is when the pump light comes on, but it also will list the closest restaurant and their telephone number. The top is a thing of beauty, performing it's duties without fuss (if a bit slow). When in the up position, the Cab is quieter than many sedans I've ridden in latey.

Obviously this is not an Elise. It's not as nimble noir as quick. But it has many luxuries the Lotus wouldn't even consider having and the 4.2 and tip w/ paddles is a wonderful combo. I actually like the fact it retains much of the look of the 1.8 and 3.0 models such that it doesn't attract too much attention compared to the Elise (or my Elite) which caused traffic jams. People also usually guess the car cost less than it did which helps to belay the fears of clients who think they might be paying me too much. However, those that "know" cars do appreciate the car and comment to me about how impressive the cars is when we meet.

I'll have another Elise in 12-18 months, no question. But the S4 cabriolet will sit proudly next to my Lotuses in the garage as my daily driver for years to come.
  • drewarddreward Posts: 13
    :) I have just been told that my 2006 Audi S4 cabriolet has arrived on US Soil I should have it next week, can't wait.
This discussion has been closed.