Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi S4 and S4 Cabriolet

Comments

• trout818trout818 Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 S4 cabriolet. I took delivery in January of 2005 and have about 7000 miles on it. In that time, I have had two flat tires on the OEM Continentals. I have also found that they constantly need air.

Does anyone have any suggestions about good replacement tires. The car is an everyday driver and is driven in all weather, including light snow. I would like to keep the price reasonable and someone suggested Kumho Ecsta ASX.

Anyone have a suggestion on tires?
  • wallabyguywallabyguy Posts: 20
    We now have 4,500 miles and no problem with the tires. i would have rather had Michelins but thus far I seem to be OK. Do you maybe have a balancing issue?
  • trout818trout818 Posts: 3
    I think that's part of it but I'm still not thrilled with the tires and would like to move on.
  • wallabyguywallabyguy Posts: 20
    I thought it was interesting that the S4 cab evidently comes with several different possible tire specs. Speaking with my sales contact, he didn't know what kind of tires would be on my car till it got there. I know the 3.0 S-Line I looked before I bought the S4 had the CH rims (same size as the Avus ones on our car) and Michilens. That's the route I'd go. I've always had luck with them.
  • drewarddreward Posts: 13
    I have just received my 2006 S4 Cabriolet (Silver with red leather seats) and so far it is great. The driving has been smooth with a slight edge and I can honestly say I have never had so much fun behind the wheel of a car. It has the bluetooth prep which works well but does not transfer the phone book or control the phone directly this is in my view a bug and needs to be corrected. If phone book transfer directly from the phone is tough why not at least allow phone book transfer from the SD card? The sound system is stellar even my wife (who is notoriously picky and sensitive to volume) tells me to crank it up :). Does anyone have any good advice on what to use on the leather to keep it in pristine condition?
    Ever since reciept of new car (see above) I am now gripped by the continual urge to find excuses to use it. :surprise:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    LOL! Well enjoy it! :D
    When using the SD card I discovered that certain of my MP3 files would not play after some investigation I found that the file name length was the controlling factor and after shortening the names they showed up in the list. After referring to the manual I noticed that the file name length is limited to 64 characters I have not determined whether this includes the .mp3 or not. I have noticed several people noting that some files play and some don't perhaps they need to check the file name length. :lemon:
    :cry: I have enjoyed my S4 for just one week and then a yellow engine warning light came on and the delaership has it in for repair. The loaner is an admittedly decent a4 alroad 2.7T but I want my cab back!
  • adannyadanny Posts: 1
    I've been wondering the same thing. I am on the verge of buying a 2006 S4 sedan and have called about 6-7 dealers in NJ. The bottomline appears to be that they will not take more than ~$1k of MSRP on the 2006 but will take upto ~$2-3k off on the 2005.5

I am holding out right now to try and get ~2k off on the 2006! Does that match experiences of others, especially in the NY/NJ region? Haven't seen too many recent posts on that topic...
  • Well sedans are different than Cabriolets. Cabs usually sell for MSRP. They are rare and hard to come by (at least in the summer). I also waited for a 2005.5 so it was even rarer. I got about 1k off mine BUT my family is a 30+ year customer at my dealer and I've been dealing with the same sales person for the past 21 years. I also did my financing up front before I even stepped into the showroom (BTW w/ Audi Financial) so the deal was an easy one for my sales person. I saw an Audi sponsered "allowance" for 2005.5 S4 sedans which could be the money factor you mentioned. With sales exceeding last years for the new models, I doubt you'll be seeing huge discounts on 06s for 9-12 months. As far as Cabs go, wait till January but be willing to buy off the dealer's lot.
    I got mine at -2.2K
    If you have one of the newer Audis with the SD card based music system for playing MP3 files you may have noticed that some songs play and some don't. This is a result of some incompatabilites between standard MP3 file formats and the Audi. I have written a program which fixes the files so that they all play you can download the program from Audi file cleanup program enjoy!
  • rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    You might get that on an 05.5, but it might be tough to get 2 grand off an 06, which many dealers don't have yet. But it's not unheard of, and if you're a previous Audi customer, some dealers will take care of you with a little extra money off MSRP.

If you don't care about the new grill or MMI naviagtion, dealers are giving $4000-5000 off the old body style 05's, as Audi has some dealer money available.
  • diablo1diablo1 Posts: 55
    Questions for anyone who special ordered their S4 rather than choosing one the dealership already had: When you ordered from the factory, how long did it take between order and delivery? Also, does creating a custom order significantly reduce your bargaining power?

I'm looking for a 2005.5 or 2006 (not sure when they'll be available though) S4, probably light silver color, auto trans with nav. Thanks for your help!
  • Diablo,

Exactly my car.
  • diablo1diablo1 Posts: 55
    Cool... where are you located, and how do you like the car?
  • I'm near Philadelphia. I am overall very happy with the car. I've had 3 instances since the 5k service where the car seemed to loose acceleration for no reason (on ramps and at traffic light changes). The driver side window has had what I now know is a typical Audi issue and raises partially and then drops to the mid level point. The new switch is on order.

All that said, as a GT, the car is terrific. It's a fast car rather than a quick one. Speed piles up without fuss and you can quickly find your self at triple digits without any idea you're even close to the speed limit. The tiptronic works well and I have paddle shift which works much better than I thought it would. Highway ride is exceptional. Steering is very communicative for such a heavy car.

This makes a great daily driver BUT I miss my Elise and will be getting another next year as a weekend car to tag team with my S4. Lotus makes the best sports car in the world. Audi makes one hell of a GT.
  • I definitely understand that the S4 doesn't feel quick compared to your Elise, but it's still pretty good for its category, isn't it? In fact, I can't think of any other awd sedans in the same price range with better 0-60 acceleration. Can you?

When I first started looking at cars, I was thinking about the Boxster S, Lotus Elise, or maybe a bigger convertible like the 330Ci with performance package... But after thinking it over, I realized I should probably get a sedan, with competent winter performance and room for more than one friend (not to mention luggage for more than a weekend). If I could have two cars, I'd love to get a sporty convertible, but as an only car for someone in the Northeast, I think awd sedan is the way to go... Which is why I've been looking at the S4, G35, 330xi, and maybe the new Lexus IS...
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    Diablo: I'm in the current IS, and if you're really looking seriously at an S4, as I am (Avant for me thankyou very much!), then I doubt the new IS will really ring your chimes on the road. The power appears to be close to the same as the current car (AWD only being available with the 250), yet size and weight have increased. My car is a joy to drive, but at the same output and more heft (even moreso with AWD), the fun factor just isn't going to be there. Can't be.

At this point, I'm down to the S4 Avant or the A3 3.2 Quattro when it arrives. If BMW were bringing either a 330iT or a 130i, I'd be looking at those too.
  • I looked at the current A3 when I went to test drive the S4. It looks really nice, and it has paddle-shifters like an S4... Once you can get the big engine with awd, that will probably be a solid choice.

I've read that BMW is also making a 335i pretty soon, which will be a turbocharged version with power similar to the S4. Haven't heard anything about a wagon, though. The new Audi Q7 looks pretty cool, but maybe too big for you... Apparently they are eventually going to make one with a Lamborghini engine.

Rumor is that a manual and an awd version of the IS 350 will be out later... But I don't feel like waiting a whole year, so the G35 and S4 are pretty much my final choices. I have a friend who can get me the G35 for below invoice, which is so tempting... It's great to drive, but it's still no S4. What to do, what to do...
  • Ordered June 22 delivered July 29th (but they told me to expect Sept 1st, just lucky I guess) 2006 model Audi S4 cabrio.
    Did not seem to affect bargaining was able to get 4% discount
    (P.S. mine is Silver with red interior looks great)
  • dreward,

hi, i own a 2005.5 B7 S4 Avant, and also experience the problem that some MP3's won't read on my SD card. I have tried to download the audicleanup file you posted earlier....but what do I do with it after i download it? I tried to run that program and nothing happenes....is there something I done wrong?

You can email me at twnmango@hotmail.com if you wish.

Tks,
    Jim
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Actually, it would be a lot better if anyone who has a suggestion would post it here. That way anyone who experiences this issue could read any helpful advice.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    I saw a new A4 3.2 yesterday. For a small car, it looks like a very high-class sedan. I love the way the new S4 sedan looks, and the A4 looks just as good. The A3 2.0T gets 0-60 in 6.4 secs, so I can't imagine what a slightly heavier car with fifty more horses can get!

Cars: '98 Audi A4 1.8T, '03 Honda Civic EX Coupe, '04 Lexus RX 330 AWD, '05 Audi S4 Cabriolet. The Civic and A4 are for my son and daughter.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    Don't listen to what I said before. The S4 Cabriolet is being updated this year- it's either coming out at the holiday season, or very early next year. It has the exact (when I say exact, I mean EXACT) same front end as the sedan, with updated rear lights, rims, and interior trim. It also has the new engines.
  • wale_bate1wale_bate1 Posts: 1,986
    I notice they appear to have dropped the leather/alcantara package (pisses me off as I rather liked that option). Anybody know if the seats at least are still Recaro?
    Seats are still Recaro for the S4. The Alcantara looks great new, but it's very difficult to keep the suede clean The colors bleed off your clothes and it tends to look dingy after just a short while of everyday driving.

Don't expect to see the new body style 07 Cab's before late summer 2006. We're about a year away before you see them on dealer lots.
  • How do you know about the colors bleeding? Does that even happen with the silver Alcantara? I'm surprised to hear you say this, because from what I can tell, Alcantara is a very high quality material, and easy to clean (that's why they used it instead of real suede - that and cost).
    Alcantara is a very high quality suede, but there's nothing you can do about normal wear and tear. If your wear jeans or darker colored pants, which most everybody does, it will eventually bleed off to a white colored suede and start to look a bit dingy. If you've ever worn a lighter colored suede coat, you'll know what I'm talking about.

Suede has a different texture to it than regular leather. The silk nappa leather in the S4 is an extremely high grade of leather. But the lighter silver silk nappa leather will be harder to keep clean than black leather. It's just a fuction of color and it takes a bit more looking after to keep clean.