Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Audi S4 and S4 Cabriolet

Comments

• rjlaerorjlaero Posts: 659
    $506.00 prep is just a dealer add on.......it doesn't come from the factory.

Buying an extended warranty on a S4 is not a bad idea if you plan to keep the car for more than 4 years / 50 k miles. But don't be pressured into it.

S4's are out there, but it's a limited production car and dealers are not going to give them away. If you can get $750-1000 off MSRP, it's not a bad deal. You might get a little more (older body) beacuse the new body style w/ the larger grill just came out. But both cars are still 2005's on the window sticker and it might not matter that much.
  • esfesf Posts: 1,020
    Sorry, I was wrong on my last reply to you. Actually, it's a secret I think, but the Cabriolet is being updated in winter this year, or spring next year. It's going to have similar-but-better-looking headlights than the sedan, and will retain its flowing body. I'm pretty sure the A4 Cabriolet will get the 2.0T engine standard, and the 3.2 optional. The S4's engine will be unchanged, but the outside will probably have new wheels and possibly a more aggresive bodykit.
  • ilight4uilight4u Posts: 7
    I just bought a 2004 A4 Cab, and would like to add a "perimeter sensor" or "field disturbance sensor" to the factory alarm system to activate the alarm when someone reaches inside the car, or is too close to it. Has anyone found a way to add these sensors, or to integrate a Viper aftermarket alarm system with those features into the Audi A4 and have it controled by the Audi key-fob / factory alarm system?
    ilight4u
  • aec11aec11 Posts: 13
    I took delivery of a 2005.5 S4 on April 1, and have already had a serious problem with the tire pressure monitoring system. It had already acted up the first week I had the car, and then a few weeks later it went out completely. It's been in the shop for over a week now, and my dealer is replacing the whole system. I understand Audi has had lots of problems with this system over the last two years or so. Anyone have any information on this?
  • pngpng Posts: 3
    Just got an s4 avant 2005.5 with the new navigation system. First off I love this car but the whole stereo navigation display is a bit beat. The color shemes for the music are prtty ugly.

The mp3 cards work great see song info title etc, but when I use the cd changer no cd information or track info. It just states cd1 cd2 etc and then track 01 track 02, no specefic cd or track info. Am I doing something wrong or is this just the way it is. Thanks for any feed back
    I have the '05.5 S4 Cabriolet, and have the same MMI-like system as you. Yes, that's how it's supposed to be. The system isn't a CD/MP3-reader. Mine does that, too. I love the car, though- it's gorgeous!
    My outgoing car was a leased '00 Audi A6 2.7t. So, after that car, I was a performance driver. I drove three S4s (two were sedans, one convertible) and a new A6 4.2. My son likes cars as much as I do, and he almost fell asleep in the A6! It must've been the gray interior, but that car has lost some excitement. Sounds like the new 5 Series? Well, I fell in love with the S4 Cabriolet. As you've probably read, I have a Sprint Blue one in my garage right now! That car is just beautiful... everyone looks at it! And, one of the best parts, I dusted a blue M3 convertible from two stoplights the other day! And it was the new one, like the '04-05! That made me happy... well, this is the best, nicest, [most expensive] and fastest car I've ever had.
  • alexs4alexs4 Posts: 3
    I love my new 2005 S4. Even though I've already had to take it in for some sensor problems. I jumped a hill going about 90MPH and scraped up the bottom. Now I have an oil leak, like a week later. Do you think it's related? And how should I deal with it? Take it to the dealer or someplace else? It's on lease, are they going to be mad about the scrapes, etc?
  • wallabyguywallabyguy Posts: 20
    I just bought a 2005.5 S4 Cabriolet (premium, heated seats, tiptronic, sirius, nav., silver w/ ebony). My wife always wanted an A4 cabriolet since she saw her first one back in 2001. I had a 2005 Elise which was totalled by an Econovan with a driver on a cell phone back in November. The docs said no lotus for another year or so while I heal so my wife got her car (with a V8 which she didn't expect).

The car is a wonderful balance between sport and luxury. It doesn't depend on lots of electronic gadgetry to obtain impressive ride, handling and performance. I love the quattro but expected it since I've owned several Audis in the past. I fought my wife on the Nav system. She thought it was 2k better spent elsewhere but I put my foot down. 1 week into ownership (and 1200 mile later) she loves it. Not only does it tell you where the closest gas station is when the pump light comes on, but it also will list the closest restaurant and their telephone number. The top is a thing of beauty, performing it's duties without fuss (if a bit slow). When in the up position, the Cab is quieter than many sedans I've ridden in latey.

Obviously this is not an Elise. It's not as nimble noir as quick. But it has many luxuries the Lotus wouldn't even consider having and the 4.2 and tip w/ paddles is a wonderful combo. I actually like the fact it retains much of the look of the 1.8 and 3.0 models such that it doesn't attract too much attention compared to the Elise (or my Elite) which caused traffic jams. People also usually guess the car cost less than it did which helps to belay the fears of clients who think they might be paying me too much. However, those that "know" cars do appreciate the car and comment to me about how impressive the cars is when we meet.

I'll have another Elise in 12-18 months, no question. But the S4 cabriolet will sit proudly next to my Lotuses in the garage as my daily driver for years to come.
  • drewarddreward Posts: 13
    :) I have just been told that my 2006 Audi S4 cabriolet has arrived on US Soil I should have it next week, can't wait.
  • trout818trout818 Posts: 3
    I have a 2005 S4 cabriolet. I took delivery in January of 2005 and have about 7000 miles on it. In that time, I have had two flat tires on the OEM Continentals. I have also found that they constantly need air.

Does anyone have any suggestions about good replacement tires. The car is an everyday driver and is driven in all weather, including light snow. I would like to keep the price reasonable and someone suggested Kumho Ecsta ASX.

Anyone have a suggestion on tires?
    We now have 4,500 miles and no problem with the tires. i would have rather had Michelins but thus far I seem to be OK. Do you maybe have a balancing issue?
  • trout818trout818 Posts: 3
    I think that's part of it but I'm still not thrilled with the tires and would like to move on.
    I thought it was interesting that the S4 cab evidently comes with several different possible tire specs. Speaking with my sales contact, he didn't know what kind of tires would be on my car till it got there. I know the 3.0 S-Line I looked before I bought the S4 had the CH rims (same size as the Avus ones on our car) and Michilens. That's the route I'd go. I've always had luck with them.
    I have just received my 2006 S4 Cabriolet (Silver with red leather seats) and so far it is great. The driving has been smooth with a slight edge and I can honestly say I have never had so much fun behind the wheel of a car. It has the bluetooth prep which works well but does not transfer the phone book or control the phone directly this is in my view a bug and needs to be corrected. If phone book transfer directly from the phone is tough why not at least allow phone book transfer from the SD card? The sound system is stellar even my wife (who is notoriously picky and sensitive to volume) tells me to crank it up :). Does anyone have any good advice on what to use on the leather to keep it in pristine condition?
    Ever since reciept of new car (see above) I am now gripped by the continual urge to find excuses to use it. :surprise:
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    LOL! Well enjoy it! :D
    When using the SD card I discovered that certain of my MP3 files would not play after some investigation I found that the file name length was the controlling factor and after shortening the names they showed up in the list. After referring to the manual I noticed that the file name length is limited to 64 characters I have not determined whether this includes the .mp3 or not. I have noticed several people noting that some files play and some don't perhaps they need to check the file name length. :lemon:
    :cry: I have enjoyed my S4 for just one week and then a yellow engine warning light came on and the delaership has it in for repair. The loaner is an admittedly decent a4 alroad 2.7T but I want my cab back!
  • adannyadanny Posts: 1
    I've been wondering the same thing. I am on the verge of buying a 2006 S4 sedan and have called about 6-7 dealers in NJ. The bottomline appears to be that they will not take more than ~$1k of MSRP on the 2006 but will take upto ~$2-3k off on the 2005.5

I am holding out right now to try and get ~2k off on the 2006! Does that match experiences of others, especially in the NY/NJ region? Haven't seen too many recent posts on that topic...