Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When is the best time to buy a CR-V / RAV4?

andrashandrash Posts: 2
edited March 20 in Honda
Three years ago I got a fantastic deal on a car because I was buying a 2006 model just when the new 2007 version was arriving to the dealer. They were desperate to get rid of their old inventory and I ended up paying invoice minus $1K out of the door. That was a different make and model. This time around, I am in the market for a CR-V or a RAV4. Can I count on getting a similar deal and what's the best timing (I can wait a few months)? Also, are there any other incentives I should be aware of?

Basically, my question is: if I want to get the absolute best deal, what's the best timing to start approaching the dealers and what should my negotiating technique be?

PS: I am a cash buyer.

Comments

• steverstever YooperlandPosts: 39,990
    Some theories here you can read while waiting for responses.

When to Buy Your Next Car

Is This a Good Time to Buy a Car?

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• blueiedgodblueiedgod Posts: 2,803
    Three years ago I got a fantastic deal on a car because I was buying a 2006 model just when the new 2007 version was arriving to the dealer. They were desperate to get rid of their old inventory and I ended up paying invoice minus $1K out of the door. That was a different make and model. This time around, I am in the market for a CR-V or a RAV4. Can I count on getting a similar deal and what's the best timing (I can wait a few months)? Also, are there any other incentives I should be aware of?

Basically, my question is: if I want to get the absolute best deal, what's the best timing to start approaching the dealers and what should my negotiating technique be?

PS: I am a cash buyer

I would say that you being a cash buyer cuts dealer profit by at least $600, since they get kickbacks from AHFC or banks.

I would say, that to get a deal like you got last time, you would have to wait 2 years for the 2012 model to arrive. CR-V just went through a mid-model makeover, which is not as significant as new model make-over. So, the discount is not as great.

It is definately worth trying, since the 2010 models are on dealers lots, and I am sure they are itching to dispose of the 2009 inventory. Although, I would suspect that most of it was sold off during the Cash for clunkers program.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.