Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Express/GMC Savana

Comments

• xfilesxfiles Posts: 132
    I thought with your last post there would be a link to some pictures or something else, what happened? Talking about looks of the 2003 GMC....yuk for the dashboard. All the components from air vents, heater dials, light switches, instrumentation area are identical to the previous generation. It looks like they just cut some holes out on the side of a box and screwed them into place. It lacks curved lines, the top part is straight across. Oh well, I own the previous model, so call it bias, but I do have tastes and to me I think they went backwards with the styling. The rest of the vehicle looks fine, and the longer hood probably will make it a little easier to access things.

Yup, I agree with not buying a first year model of anything when you have a choice, especially if it's from chrysler.
  • Help,

We just bought a new universal remote for our Express and cannot program it to the VCR.

Does anyone know who is the manufacturer of the entertainment system (Audiovox, Goldstar)? No matter what code I put in to the RCA remote, it doesn't work.

Paul
  • I wrote in June about my transmission. Short story: I took the van back to the dealership, they did a more extensive diagnostic, and said that basically the tranny was disintegrating inside. I know my terminology is not very technical, but the tranny had to be replaced. Cost: $2200, GM paid half.
  • Did they replace it or just rebuild your original? What year is your van?
  • Message #242. "I have a '99 Savana 1500, 5.7 liter engine, 43,000 miles, never towed anything, no extended warranty. The tranny is slipping, and when cold, does't want to shift out of 1st gear."

Because it is in a 1/2 ton van (1500), the tranny is the lighter duty model. It was not too far out of the 36000 mile warranty. I suppose the upshot is that the tranny in it now is new.
  • I am looking at buying a 95 Passenger Astro Van and taking the seats out and using it as a Cargo Van. Is there any difference between the Passenger and Cargo Astro Van in terms of suspension etc????
  • It's a 1999. They did not rebuild mine, they replaced it with a rebuilt transmission. So it's not my original, and it's not new, either.

They gave me a verbal warranty - 36,000 miles for the rebuilt tranny, which is the same warranty the original tranny had when the van was new. They refused to give me anything in writing.
  • jgmilbergjgmilberg Posts: 872
    I have seen a few new model vans, 1 cargo and one striped down passenger. I am still waiting to see the new up level grille. The dash looks really really plain and way to flat for my taste.
  • I have seen a 2500 LS Express. The interior is disappointing. They are still using the same fabric and the dash is bland. But my Honda is also bland. I am excited about the 6.0L which bumps up the towing capacity to 7900lbs. I am not sure about AWD. We have a 97 Savanna and never needed AWD. Looking to test drive one soon.
  • mrnimmomrnimmo Posts: 271
    I saw a 1500 with the driver's side doors today. The interior is very plain. Seems like they may have bumped the second and third row seats forward. Very little leg room, but tons of cargo space in the back, like 5 feet worth!

I wasn't real impressed that the front leg room was improved. Don't get me wrong, it's still the best in the segment. However, it didn't seem a lot more than the previous year.
    I hope they figured out the door mirrors that after time just flop around and become useless. It is a new mirror design, and I wonder if the new mirrors will hook up to the older model van wires. If they actually got the problem licked it would be worth upgrading.
  • If anyone here has replaced their ignition switch themselves I'd like to know the steps and the price of the switch. This is on a 99 Savanna, 55K miles.
    Thanks for the help.
    Is it the switch or just the key cylinder? I can email you instructions if you email me. Tell me if it's just the cyl. or the switch.
  • I have a 99 express with a 350. The intake manifold was removed to repair a leaky intake gasket. Looks like they pulled and then replaced the distributor and just marked the old location with a crayon mark. And really never used a timing gun to time accurately. My gas mileage has got a little worse sense then. I am a weekend mechanic and know how to time older chevy's. Not to sure about how and what to disconnect on the 99. Can anyone help?
  • Bring cylinder number 1 to Top Dead Center(TDC) on Compression stroke. Remove the distributor cap. Align the rotor so it points to the number 8 that is cast into the distributor base. Re install the distributor cap and your done. The computer takes care of the rest. The manual stresses that the rotor must be pointed at the "8" for the computer to get things set correctly. Let us know how it goes.

It's not that much different than the old Chevy's, the nice thing is that you don't really need a timing light, or have to fine tune any more.
  • I didn't know it was going to be that easy. The hardest part will be removing the engine cover. But if I can remember the rotor will not turn unless the distributor is removed. Most likely the mechanic probably pointed the rotor in the right direction already.. but will recheck thank again
  • You can't move the rotor itself but you can move the distributor body so that the rotor points to the correct position, just loosen the hold down clamp and twist.. If you can't move the distributor body then you have to remove the distributor and re align the oil pump drive shaft to move the rotor. Sometimes if you only have to move it one or two teeth you don't need to worry about the oil pump, but if you move it too far the distributor will not drop all the way in.
  • I have a 2000 2500 12 passenger. Mostly hall kids and our stuff. (6 kids= lots of stuff on a trip)
    I have about 22000 miles on it now and have noticed recently that it is sort of bouncy. I have tried to find Monroe Reflex shocks and apparently they do not make them for the 8600 GVW vans. I called Monroe and they told me that the only one they make for it is the Gas Magnum. I tried to order some from my local NAPA store and they did not show the Magnum and could not pull up the part number but they did have the Sensatracks listed. I have them ordered at this date. Has anyone had any experience with new heavy duty shock and good results??? I want a good ride but a little more control.
  • xfilesxfiles Posts: 132
    Unless the GMC shocks are very expensive, I would stay with them. I have found in the past that aftermarket shocks do not give as a good a ride. I bought shocks before (can't remember off hand the name of them) at Pep Boys and loved the lifetime warranty. Then I got fed up and purchased some from Toyota because I got tired of the rough ride whenever temperatures dropped. Went through 2 sets of Pep Boy shocks and the problem stayed.

Maybe there are nice shocks out there, but I still believe in factory originals. After all they are concerned about ride more then some after market company trying to whip out cheap junk. Also you won't know what you get for a ride until it's installed, and by then it will be too late. I have the 2001 Savana extended 2500 passenger van, and I don't think your going to get a better ride, the ride in my opinion is great.

I don't know what you mean by better control, I got a feeling you had a defective shock from teh beginning. I don't experience any control problems.