Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Express/GMC Savana

Comments

• If you experience the sun shell failure as described above, have your trans rebuilt with a beefier aftermarket part. One that is available is called the "Beast". I've seen them sold at Transmission parts dealers. They're much heavier-duty than the OEM ones.
  • BOBPUTBOBPUT Posts: 22
    I just bt 99 Savana Hi-top after 4 yrs leased (58K miles)-Agree with gd reliability (replacement tires-Dunlops had 4/4 failures! tread sep-only major problem) Are you still on OE battery? What mileage on front(repl @ 30k)/rear brakes? About to do major maintenance (2 yr) -any particular suggestions from your experience?? Thanks BOBPUT in Tampa
  • Im researching buying a 2001 Express cargo van with the v6 engine...ive found little in the way of reviews, but JD Power gives it some low ratings. I was hoping for some specific feedback to help me make my decision...any comments are appreciated...thanks.

trolloc
  • ssackssack Posts: 6
    I have a 2001 Savana that has 18xxx miles on it and I have not had any real problems to be concerned about. We took it on vacation this summer and travelled about 4000 miles problem free. I also use it to haul all kinds of stuff from the kids to building supplies and have found it to be one of the most reliable vehicles I have ever owned. I absolutely love it. Don't judge the vehicle by the negative complaints, there are a multitude of positives you just dont hear about.
  • I've a 98 savana with 4L60E transmission. Can I replace the 4L60E with the 4L80 without any major modification to the van? Thanks
  • Fought similar problem for months in '91 Chevy Suburban, w/ several tows and only speculative problems found at shop. I found that pulling up the engine harness as it runs across firewall was a temporary fix - was shorting when wet in hidden area between bellhousing and body sheetmetal. (No need for a hard short - just a water path alone apparently conducts enough to confuse engine control electronics). I removed harness and found insulation breaks from rubbing against edge; split into 2 smaller cables and retaped. No problems since. Water short could be somewhere else in your case, probably away from direct engine heat. While cranking, and avoiding personal injury, try moving cable in various places with a wooden stick, or go along the cabling with compressed air to locate bad insulation.
  • I'm looking at purchasing a new 2003 Express conversion van and wondered what experiences - pro and con that others have had with this van.It has the 6 cyl engine.

Any comments - suggestions - caveats etc would be appreciated.

Frank
  • This Chevy has 100,000 miles and no unscheduled maintenance. While driving on a dirt road about 35 mph, the brake pedal went to the floor and the ABS alarm light came on, then the BRAKE light on the dashboard came on. The brakes were soft but held sufficiently to get a dealer's opinion that it was an ABS valve failure with a large price tag. Has anyone had this type of brake failure on this van?
  • I'm considering a full size coversion van but I can't seem to find much info regarding safety, reliability. Neither Consumer Reports nor NHTSA have any information, but here on Edmunds haven't found advice regarding aftermarket production quality and pricing seems all over the board.

Email: johnering@hotmail.com
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,016
    Check in Full-size conversion vans and Pricing (costing) conversion vans too, but there's not a lot of info about them on the boards.

Steve, Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• Frank the V6 is a great engine,my 96 Safari has 150k and runs good. However a fullsize conversion is a lot of weight for the V6. Trade in with a V6 would also be affected. {THIS IS JUST MY OPINION } Good Luck

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• quacknitquacknit Posts: 1
    i was wondering if you have a tow/haul button? did you find out what was causing the problem yet?
  • The Savana has been a rock solid asset for our family. Also, the layout of the controls and seating is superior to the Ford/Dodge counterparts.
    *** Question *** I bought an 8 passenger 2001 Savana SLE. Anyone know if it's possible to add a rear 4 passenger seat? Has anyone done this after purchasing their van?
  • awmcleodawmcleod Posts: 1
    The blower control on my van does not have a low speed. Is this control a stand alone item or is it a componet of a larger part. Can I as a DIY able to replace that control?
    AWMcl
  • jamz66jamz66 Posts: 2
    I own a '04 Express 1500 AWD that was only able to have 8 pass seating but HUGE amount of cargo room. After calling and searching I found a E-tailer from CA (Discount Van and Truck) that has OEM seats. I ordered the 4 pass seat for the back of my Express, now it's a twelve passenger. They ship out the seats and the brackets to bold it to the floor. These are "Take-out" seats. Seats from vehicles in accidents or upgraded to custom seats. Mine came in A/1 shape. One recommendation, get the OEM seatbelts. The aftermarket belt they carry are CRAP! Here's were to go.

http://discountvantruck.com/van/vanseat.htm
  • jamz66jamz66 Posts: 2
    From my understanding concerning the AWD system in the '04 Express 1500, it's a "Tried and True" system. It's been around and perfected and works NEAR perfectly. I have the AWD Express and used it last winter in the snow. We had roughly 20 snow storms this past year and I only got stuck once (because I wanted to see if I could go through the DEEP stuff). Only needed a few hand fulls of salt and I was back in the saddle. HIGHLY Recomend the AWD Express.
  • thong24kthong24k Posts: 23
    I just bought Chevy Express'98 1500 V6. Does anyone know how it perform in the winter time?
  • I just printed out the Edmunds pricing on a 2005 GMC Savana passenger van. My sources tell me that GMC will not offer this van in 2005. Also the GMC web sight only shows the 1500 and 3500. Will the real truth please stand up. Thanks to all. jkelly
    Anyone go full size for the holidays?

Steve, Host