Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn S-Series

Comments

• OK everyone, hear this one. My Saturn has less than 7,000 miles on it. I've had it since last October 2002. My gas tank makes clunking noise in it because the tank didn't come with any dividers inside it. My Saturn dealer said there's nothing they can do about it because they said it was the manufacturer's plants fault. All they said was to give the Saturn corp. a call and talk to them. Go figure....What's a big corporation gonna do for one little guy's complaint. I only know of one other person who has this problem. He paid cash for his 02 L-Series Wagon. Anyone else out there or any advice?
  • uga91uga91 Metro AtlantaPosts: 1,065
    Aren't almost all defects the result of a manufacturing problem? I don't believe the dealer would not fix. That is why it is called a "Bumper to Bumper Warranty" and not a "Bumper to Bumper Warranty Unless the Part That Breaks was Made Wrong by its Manufacturer Warranty." Saturn should replace the tank and then Saturn will get a credit from its manufacturer. If your Saturn retailer really will not fix it, report it to the Saturn Division of GM, the Better Business Bureau, and your local newspaper. Here in Atlanta the TV networks all have a reporter whose job it is to publicly harass companies that do not do what they are supposed to do until the company gives in and fixes the situation. This is not a good thing, but Saturn should replace it.
  • sl1ownersl1owner Posts: 2
    Thanks for your input. After two days of riding in it I feel that the engine is noisy and steering a little stiff. The combination of the two along with some minor vibrations in the cab would make one believe that its not shifting upwards even though I touch 60 mph. Do you think that's ok or should I get it checked. I hope I could address some of these issues at 60K dealer service.
    I liked the other features on it and the am/fm/cd sound system is great.
  • It couldn't hurt to have it checked when you are in for your 60k service, if not sooner. Good luck.
  • jeff186jeff186 Posts: 95
    Only 15 months and 15K, mainly highway, on my leased SL-1 and the brakes are shuddering when I apply them at highway speeds. No way should the rotors be warped on this car, but it seems so. Well, i guess i get to see how good the much-touted Saturn service dept. really is. Hope this is under warranty. Well, i know which make of car i won't be getting next time.
  • wwhite2wwhite2 Posts: 535
    all Saturn service departments are not the same. Anyone who makes a blanket statement about how wonderful they are just doesnt get it .
  • saturnfreak01saturnfreak01 Posts: 134
    True, some service areas are better than others. But when comparing the worst Saturn retailer to the horrid Toyota Dealer, the difference is still clear when the name on the building reads S A T U R N .

Saturn did not achieve its number one ranking in sales and service out of luck. www.jdpower.com
    Sorry about your warped rotors. I don't understand why you say it will cause you to not buy Saturn again, though. You will be hard pressed to find a car that does not have this issue occasionally. Even more so in the price range you were shopping in. A LEASED SL1? What are your payments--about $99/mo? Maybe your new Rio next year will have better rotors--good luck to you!
  • jeff186jeff186 Posts: 95
    Sucked in by the $199/month lease rate. No my friend, an '03 Nissan Maxima is my next vehicle, as of Saturday. The Saturn becomes my son's vehicle for the duration of the lease.
    I hope the rotors work out better on your Nissan. The Saturn should prove to be a great car for your teen age son--big enough to get the job done yet not enough car to get him into trouble.
  • podunk503podunk503 Posts: 45
    just bought 2000 sl2, auto and keyless entry. 49k on it. i like it. i bought used off a saturn dealer. not certified. when i brake i feel vibrations through the steering wheel and column and underneath me. anyone know what that might be? any advice for me on keeping my car running well, my main concern is the transmission. i'm really paranoid about that for some reason. thanks.
    That vibration is probably a warped rotor. We had a 1999 SL2 and it was a little shaky as well. Our 2003 Ion had a slight shimmy in certain braking situations, so I had it looked at. I had a rotor slightly out of round, so they machined it and it stops very solidly and smoothly now. Have your rotors checked. If your car still has the original brakes, that may be your problem.
  • ochsskochssk Posts: 52
    Back in 1999 Saturn had a safety recall for the recliner in the front seats. My wife never fixed it and I finally got our '95 SL2 in for it's 90K service and asked Saturn to take care of the recall. They called and said the recliner is fine and doesn't need to be replaced yet. I thought NHTSA recalls were supposed to get fixed. Anyone have input on this?

Steve
    Not all recalls affect every car of that model year. Usually they only affect cars made in a certain time period. Yours may have been made in a time that did not use the defective recliner? Did you actually get a post card informing you of the recall; or, did you read about the recall somewhere?
  • ochsskochssk Posts: 52
    Yup got the recall card a long time ago. The service rep said that our VIN# was one the list of affected cars.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Posts: 2,228
    It's possible the recall called for the dealer to inspect the reclining mechanism for wear and if found, replace it. Maybe they didn't find anything wrong with it. But I still would question them as to why they aren't replacing it. If your car was affected by the recall, you have a right to demand it gets fixed if it fits the criteria.
  • soggydogsoggydog Posts: 67
    Podunk503: When I was thinking of trading in my 96 SL2 with 49K, The dealer wanted proof that the following Items were serviced/ replaced with Saturn OEM parts.
    1. Top motor mount replaced.
    2. Auto transmission serviced.
    3. Spark plug wires replaced.
    4. Fuel filter replaced.

I had proof of all but the motor mount, so I replaced the motor mount and decided to keep the car. It now has 59K and runs great.

The transmission filter is a spin on filter located under the air box in left front section of the engine compartment. I suggest useing Saturn filter and Saturn auto trans fluid.

I also think it is a good idea to replace the fuel filter because if it is restricted it can confuse the computer controlled transmission and shift at the wrong time.
    Are you serious? Was this a Saturn dealer? I would have to laugh and walk away if they said that to me. When I traded my 99 SL2 with close to 60k mi, they did not ask me a thing about how it had been serviced. I've never heard of that.
    Yes a Saturn dealer, I was looking at the L value addition I think. They were going to give me 5K for my car if those items were replaced, otherwise they would deduct. I can't remember the exact amount, but I think the motor mount was around $200. The other Items were less. He actually wrote it on the work sheet.

He said since I do my own maintenance they could not check it out with the service department.

I thought 5K was a good price, so I didn't mind the silly stuff. We just didn't like the L enough to trade.

Even though they did not ask about service, it is possible the appraiser check'd out your service record by entering the VIN in the service computer.
    I think I missed my point. Podunk503 said he bought his car from a Saturn dealer but it was not certified. I think they wanted all this proof from me because they wanted to sell it as a certified used car. I was just saying if he was worried about the transmission, change the fluid and filter.