Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Saturn S-Series

Comments

• alexzevahcalexzevahc Posts: 1
    Sometimes the key wont turn unless I jerk the wheel around for a bit, any clue why?. And now bouth key chain remotes arnt working.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    It is not uncommon in any car to have to loosen the steering wheel by pulling on it (not necessarily "jerking it around a bit") before the key will turn.
  • k2reidk2reid Posts: 1
    Back in September I had the same thing happen...I noticed I was low on oil and looked around for it and found it in the coolant...2 to 3 weeks prior to that my coolant light had started coming on...

To make a long story short your cylinder head is likely cracked on one of the cam journals...it is a very common problem for these...
  • rbillieuxrbillieux Posts: 36
    This thing does not want to be repaired for 6 days after adjusting idle it behaved--no codes now back to map[ code again--no vac problem according to gauge--could it be connection to engine or connection to brake booster--hear a whoosh noise when applying brake not loud--pedal down :lemon:
  • samircsamirc Posts: 1
    Hi I have a saturn sc1 2000 model. It has done about 59K miles. Lately it has been giving me trouble starting. The engine starts fine, however as soon as I put it in gear the engine dies. I have to rev real hard, put it in gear and immediately set off. However after driving for sometime it continues to idle(when i stop at lights) without dying. But if i switch off the engine and try restarting it again has trouble starting off. Any ideas as to what the cause is?
  • rayg1rayg1 Posts: 1
    hello group I have a 95 saturn sc2 with a nasty noise. i was told it could be a lack of oil pressure at the timing chain tensioner so the tensioner was replaced (and yes it did seem clogged ) everything reassembled and now the noise is as bad if not worse. the vehicle accelerates fine, no lack of power but this noise is very obvious. any suggestions PLEASE. thanks in advance.
  • I bought my 1999 SC2 used a few months ago. Over the last week it has started flashing the lights on the dash, oil and coolant? It doens't do it every time and if I turn the car off then back on, the flashing lights stop....I would appreciate any ideas about this... :confuse:
  • I have a 97 Saturn SL2 1.9L DOHC. All of the lifters on the exhaust side are shot so I figured I would just order a remanufactured head from Clearwater Cylinder Heads. I received the head yesterday and noticed a problem. The EGR valve sits at a incline degree of 45 were as the EGR valve on the OEM head sits flat but at a 45 degree angle from the head. Is the EGR valve incline angle going to make a difference and create problems? Thanks for any info
  • Well Clearwater is taking it back so sending it back and waiting another week!!
  • Well I just put my cylinder head on and the car runs but it seems I am burning an excessive amount of fuel. The reason I say this is because if I sit at a stop light or parked for 3-5min with the engine running, the engine acts like it wants to die the longer in idle or when I take off is really sluggish. I am thinking about taking the car to Saturn tomorrow to have them look at it because I have been fooling with this car for about a month and it just seems a problem after a problem keeps appearing. If any ideas thanks again for the info!
  • linzsterlinzster Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 Saturn SL2 and it is doing the exact same thing. Have you found out what is causing it? If so, I would really appreciate your help.
  • I had this problem and all I had to do was replace the Alternator.
  • evajoesavevajoesav Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 Saturn SL. It has started making a loud noise when I put it into reverse. It also does it occasionally when I am driving. We have checked all the mounts and the transmission seems to be fine. Anyone that has any ideas let me know. :confuse:
  • I am thinking now my problem is the catalytic converter. I have read some info and read that if clogged causes great performance loss, increased engine temp, and some exhaust smoke/smell. I am having all of these problems so looking into replacing the converter.
  • o2ito2it Posts: 2
    I have had the car in the shop numerous times to find out why it dies when making a turn. The car is a 1999 Saturn SL2. It normally does this when the gas tank is not full. Will this show an error code in the computer if there are no error lights such as check engine lit. It doesn't happen all the time. Today, it is around 99 degrees F outside and the gas tank is not full when the problem occured. Any thoughts?
  • o2ito2it Posts: 2
    Have more data. The car actually dies when a quick stop or sharp turn is made. All the indication lamps are lit. No error codes show in the computer.
  • moerodmoerod Posts: 7
    anyone know how to replace the driver side mirror with the remote manual controls. i don't know how complicated removeing those cables will be and does anyone know if the aftermarket replacement mirrors come with the cables or are those removed from the mirror and re attached. any help please would be great.
  • i have a 1999 saturn sl 1 4 dr sedan... single cam engine... i also have a blown head gasket... which apparently is going to be a huge problem to fix... none of my local garages want to touch it, something about it being like a neon, hard to fix or something... other then actually tearring down the engine to get to the gasket, how hard is this going to be? is it even worth it? it was a good car... but should i waste my time? i'd really hate to have to get rid of it and buy another one...
  • drewydrewy Posts: 1
    Hi

I have my sisters saturn sl2 1992.. it was her engagement car and she wanted to keep it in the family... blah blah

Anyway... I just gave the car to my good friend and his dad works on cars... well the battery was dead, so we put a new one in.

After we did that we did an alternator test, (that's when you disconnect the negative cable from the battery to see if the car shuts off) Well the car shut off and his dad said it needed a new alternator. So we went out to Autozone and his dad installed it for us.

So we did another alternator test and it died again, so obviously it wasn't the alternator and he did all that work for nothing.

Could someone please answer me this: Do alternator tests not work on Saturns or might there be something else wrong with the car?

ALSO The engine fan stopped running so we had a toggle switch installed that hooks right up to the fuse box (I believe).

And there is a remote start installed too..

I don't know if that would do anything..

COULD SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT?? :confuse:
  • au94au94 Posts: 171
    Hi All:
    What should I expect to pay to have the auto trans rebuilt in a 98 SL1. Step daughter has 115k on hers and its slippping. Hopefully the rebuild is the last resort. Thanks in advance.