Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• cid2cid2 Posts: 2
    LeSabre should be called "LifeSaver". It saved my Mom's life in a horrible collision! My Mom was driving the speed limit in a 35MPH zone and was hit head-on & on the driver's side by an oncoming Porsche 911 cruising out of control at 82MPH! Luckily, she was wearing a seat belt and the LeSabre's side & front airbags inflated. Although it took 2 hours & the Jaws of Life to remove her, she is alive and well today (although she has major aches & pains). I'm absolutely certain that she survived because she was driving her 1999 Le Sabre. Buick would be wise calling the car, "LifeSaver" instead of LeSabre. It's a wonderfully safe car; my parents replaced the totalled one with another brand new LifeSaver. Thanks, Buick, for saving my Mom's life!
  • cid2cid2 Posts: 2
    LeSabre should be called "LifeSaver". It saved my Mom's life in a horrible collision! My Mom was driving the speed limit in a 35MPH zone and was hit head-on & on the driver's side by an oncoming Porsche 911 cruising out of control at 82MPH! Luckily, she was wearing a seat belt and the LeSabre's side & front airbags inflated. Although it took 2 hours & the Jaws of Life to remove her, she is alive and well today (although she has major aches & pains). I'm absolutely certain that she survived because she was driving her 1999 Le Sabre. Buick would be wise calling the car, "LifeSaver" instead of LeSabre. It's a wonderfully safe car; my parents replaced the totalled one with another brand new LifeSaver. Thanks, Buick, for saving my Mom's life!
  • My parents' 2000 Buick LeSabre has been stalling
    intermittently at low speeds and stop lights. The
    car currently only has 5000 miles and this is the
    second round of engine stalls. The earlier engine
    stalls occurred in Feb and March and were caused by a bad alternator, not charging properly at low
    RPM. The problem went away for a few months, but
    now it's back. And I doubted this time is the
    alternator.

In city traffic, the car would idle erratically in
    drive at stops, even though it does not have a
    tachometer, I could hear the engine revved up and
    down, struggling, then stalled. In lots of cases,
    I attempted to shift the gear to neutral, trying to relieve the engine / transmission load, but this did not help, the engine died still. I noticed that this problem manifests more in warmer
    climate than cold.

This problem had been looked at 5 times at 2 different dealerships but dealers were saying the
    car was operating within spec. no fixes were
    performed. When I went to the dealer who sold me
    the car the other day, insisting on invoking the
    NJ Lemon Law, the latest excuse I got was " The
    car is designed to use REGULAR 87 octane gas and I
    had been using SUPER 93 octane gas. " The manual
    indicated the car needs 87 octane or higher???
    " Give Regular gas a try " was the latest solution
    I got.

I was incredulous about his answer. Nevertheless to be reasonable, I told the service manager that I will try it, but I am bringing the car back if this does not solve the engine stalls. To make this official, I called Buick Customer Service to
    log this entry. So they are not going to beat around the bush any longer.

I need to know that if there is any owners out there using Super 93 gas for their 2000 LeSabres
    and if they encounter any engine stalls? Please
    respond so I can make a good decision on what to do next
  • bryangzbryangz Posts: 24
    you should have punched the service manager right in the mouth and then go onto explain how that is just normal social interaction among people. What a joke. Adding 93 premium to the 3.8 doesn't help it any (unless it has extra detergents in it), but it will not cause the stalling you described. I had a 3800 in my 96 LSS and never had a problem with it. This is definitely not the norm. On the other hand, I have read in the past that some 3.8s did have a stalling problem. Might want to peruse the maintenance board to see if you can find any posts about that. Or see if you can find any techincal bulletins on the 3800 at this site <<A HREF="http://www.alldata.com/">http://www.alldata.com/>;

Good luck,
    Bryan
  • Will a bumper from a 1993 Buick Lesabre Custom fit a 1992 Buick Lesabre Custom. Someone told me the only difference is the molding. On my 1992 I have a rubber molding with a chrome strip. I there a differnce in the moldings from 1992 to 1993...
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Posts: 202
    I almost bought a 2000 LeSabre, but instead bought a 2000 Grand Marquis. I've got 24,000 miles on my GM with no problems. Based on the comments here versus the GM town hall, I made the right decision.
  • bthompbthomp Posts: 69
    same here. 42K. No problems.
  • I tried both of these cars and the LeSabre, in my opinion, came out the winner. Drove both on three different occasions, back to back. LeSabre has better ride, accelerates just as well, has better cruddy weather traction handles better. And by the way it gets 31mpg on the highway at 75mph (legal here on turnpikes). After 8,800 miles absolutely no noises, kazoos, battery or any other problems. Since I do my own oil and filter changes it has never been back to the dealer. The Grand Marquis is huge physically but if you will find a consumer report you will find the interior dimensions are within a tenth inch of being the exactly same (Quite an achievement since the Buick is 13"shorter and 4" narrower.) So the trunk is 2 cubic feet smaller, at least it has a flat floor instead of a gaping hole that use to hold the spare tire. It's personal taste but I did my homework, and the test drives, and bougth the one that I liked best, the LeSabre---no complaints, not one!
  • dog738dog738 Posts: 1
    My new Buick uses about 1/2 quart of oil every 1200 miles. I had and Oldsmobile with the same engine for 7 years and it used no oil. The Buick dealer told me it could use up to 1-1/2 quarts every 3000 miles and this was okay. Does anyone else have this problem?
  • bthompbthomp Posts: 69
    That's great Mc2. I have 43K miles with no problems of hard driving and you have 8K miles with conservative (self admitted middle name)driving. That also explains your always quoted "31mpg". Your quote "LeSabre has better ride, accelerates just as well, has better cruddy weather traction handles better" RWD with snow tires and traction control is equal to any FWD. The RWD also gives much better handling in dry, repeat after me 50/50 weight distribution. You can push a CV harder in a turn, you have a better chance of recovering from going too fast in a turn, and you have a chance of recovering on ice (not with FWD). I'd gladly trade a few mpg for that alone. Ride quality is a personal issue. Maybe you like soft n' squishy. If you are trying to say that the ride on the LS is harder then a stock CV/GM..yes it probably is. That's because of all that weight the LS has up front. Easily recitified on the CV by changing the shocks. Did you ever drive the performance and handling package CV? You never did answer that question on the CV board.
  • That some folks don't want handling packages, and that some folks don't push it in curves and actually drive so as to prevent skids? Auto mags disagree wholely with your suggestion that RWD even with traction control is the equivalent of FWD in rain/snow/mud etc.. Read my lips, "I don't want no stinking handling package". Actually your trading about 5mpg and that is nothing to snicker at these days.
  • bbg1bbg1 Posts: 1
    Since purchase, it seems to have a speed of its own. I find myself having to almost stomp on the gas pedal (which, itself, doesn't work that well).
    I phrase it as 'COASTABILITY.' Do any 99 owners experience this?
  • Most of the newer cars with the four speed auto coast when you let off the gas. There isn't much compression braking in them like we use to get. But the 3800 V6 is pretty quick and you surely should not have to stomp on the gas. Have the dealer check out the linkage, it may be binding on the air cleaner or somewhere in that region.
  • 2659926599 Posts: 2
    My wife bought a 2000 Limited demo, loaded, leather, all automatic, gauges, everything but the silly OnStar and handling package and we are absolutely delighted. First off, the dealer knocked about 5G off the sticker. Then there was the GM card, trade-in, AARP, manufacturer's rebate and God-knows-what-else. Bottom line: under $15,000 for what we view as a luxury car that nobody thinks of as a luxury car. Insurance is under $800 a year, and this in the D.C. suburbs where rates can be high. Car runs, operates like a dream. No kazoo, no dead batteries, no thumping, no nothing. This morning is was cold and there was the automatic "tire low pressure" indicator reminding to add a few pounds of pressure. I'm 6-foot-5 and wear a hat and I never have to even duck getting in and out. The automatic climate control is a dream. Plus the car runs like a bat out of ... you know where. The trunk is as nearly as spacious as my '94 Grand Marquis, which basically holds the state of Rhode Island. I don't do public relations for GM Corp., but I would if all their products were like this LeSabre. My father-in-law, upon seeing the deal we got, went out and bought a nearly identical LeSabre. We also own a third car--a 1984 LeSabre, 165,000 miles, never uses oil, nothing major ever gone wrong. GM Corp. may have built some dogs, but nobody let those dogs out in my driveway. This is one creampuff of a model.
  • I thought I was seeing double but realized that you did write the same post twice :))

How many miles did the Le Sabre have upon delivery? You got a truly impressive deal. I feel
    like going to a Buick dealer and trade my 2000
    Mercury Sable wagon for a Buick and the Ill write
    Ford to tell them about it. Customer Service and
    the dealer treated me very poorly.
  • 2659926599 Posts: 2
    This creampuff had just under 5,900 miles at the time of purchase. What was great is full warranty, all rebates (including the GM card, which is not allowed on "program" cars but is allowed on demos) was included. Dealer was super, the best I ever dealt with lifetime. Would highly recommend Covington Buick, Silver Spring, Md., just outside Washington, D.C.
  • Though I LOVE my 2000 LeSabre there are a few design items that I have minor gripes about. The front cupholder(s) built into the armrest will not let you carry big cups of coffee or soft drinks. And if you and a passenger in the front seat have cups with handles (travel mugs) they will both not fit in the holder at the same time. Small styrofoam cups and some medium styrofoam cups are okay.
    I am disappointed that an automobile in this price range, 27k, does not have a rear fold down armrest (yes I could have gone 3k more and bought the limited). but this is a custom with leather and the Prestige Package.
    I sat in the back seat last week for the first time and the cushions have no support, just mush.
    Not trying to be negative, these are minor things, I have owned the car since Jan and have been in the back seat once. But the cupholder needs to be redesigned.
    9700 miles, gets 22-23 rural/city and a serious 31 mpg on the interstate at 70+. Like many Buick owners I consider myself to be a careful driver who maintains the car well. The 3800 V6 has very good power and is reasonalbly quiet. I have the optional 16" tires without the handling package. I would recommend the car over the Crown Vic or Grand Marquis. J.D. Power rates it WAY higher than either of the Ford products.
  • i'm ready to dump my 92 ford (gonna donate it for the tax write off because i wouldn't sell it to my worst enemy) Taurus. a friend of mine has a 93 lesabe custom with 50000 miles, mint, fully loaded except for cd and moon roof...anyone who can shed light on this year would be great to hear from..also, they want 7,000 for the car...blue book is 6500 for trade and about 8 for dealer price...what should i pay? i know dealers rarely give blue book value....thanks in advance
  • If the friend is a friend, and you like the car, pay his price :)

If the car doesn't check out, don't let that destroy your friendship.

What is more valuable, a friendship or saving a grand on a car?

If the money is more important, then buy a car from a stranger.

My opinion, YMMV.

TB
  • I'd never lose a friend over a grand..i was just curious what the car is really worth....as a real friend, he shouldn't ask me for more than it's worth anyway....thanks again for the response

btw..what's ymmv?

dave