Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• vtech83vtech83 Posts: 66
    Hey Ken:

Sounds like a great idea, but that is a bad time for me. Maybe some other time.

Mike
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    I've got a one bay attached as well and it presently houses our 66 Mustang convertible as well as one million and one things that I'll never need. I've got to clean it out and make it presentable - right now I'd be embarrassed to open the door. Of course my dream is for a stand alone 3 bay garage to house the boat, Suburban and Bonneville - that and a million dollars!!

Ken
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    Leather/power seats, auto climate control, yards of interior space, good performance, stability, low speed traction control, and a very sturdy foundation...at a very good price.

I think I am spoiled for life..these things are available only in the top of the line sedans and you get used to them so fast.
  • rhraaschrhraasch Posts: 9
    I currently have a 2000 Buick LeSabre. The car currently has 7800 miles on it. I've changed the oil twice since purchasing the car in Jun of 00. Before the first oil change I drove about 2500 miles and I had used about 3/4 quart of oil. Between the first and second oil change I drove about 2500 miles and used a little over 1/2 quart of oil. I have driven about 800 miles since the second oil change and the dipstick shows the oil to be about a half a quart down. Is this anything to be concerned about?
    Well, Ken, if I had to choose between keeping the Mustang, the Bonnie, the boat, or the USS Ronald Regan (the Surburban) in your garage, I would pick the Mustang.

Actually, my ideal garage would be two bays wide. really wide, and long enough to hold two cars in each bay. Also, I would love to have a garage that opens on both sides.

Getting the LeSabre in the garage was the icing on the cake. The real purpose was to organize the garage and get stuff off the floor. Even bought a bicycle mounting rack for my daughters bike.

Now my only problem is keeping myself from grabbing the nearest polishing cloth and going over the car everytime I walk into the garage. My neighbor was watching me wash my car the other day and made the following comment:

"You wash and polish that car more than I brush my teeth.

My reply was:

"You need to brush your teeth more often, then."

Later.

Mike
    I really don't care how many bedrooms or bathrooms or what the kitchen looks like - just give me a garage the size of an airplane hanger and I'll be ecstatic!

Now go floss that LeSabre!

Ken
  • tpken
    -----

Thank you for the invite, but I can not make it on the 22nd. I live in Rockland County, New York. Maybe another time and place we can get together.

vtech83
    -------

Hey Mike, you inspired me. Yesterday I cleaned out my garage and discovered that I have 4 extra feet of space that I never had before. Not enough room for a boat, but anyone know where I can get a good,used Harley-Davidson ? Hope all you guys are enjoying your LeSabres. Hey, anybody have any summer road trips planned ? I'm heading to New Hampshire at some point so far, still thinking of more to do. Keep on traveling !

Neil
    Neil - You'll probably be driving right past my camp (southern part of state near Salem off Rt 93). Please feel free to stop by for a swim, lunch or dinner and a boat ride. When do plan on coming this way? Maybe that would be the time for a Mass and NH LeSabre and Bonneville meet.

Ken
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Posts: 647
    87 LeSabre 3.8L

Had check engine lights twice with this. Both times while the vehicle was idling in gear. (A parking garage exit that was really slow, and a very slow drive through.)

Anyway, I got the code from the first time which was a code 44, lean mixture or something to that effect.

I am looking for a troubleshooting flow chart. I didn't see it in my Haynes manual for the car. I just returned from my library and Chiltons doesn't have it either.

Does anyone know a good online exhaustive reference for that type of information? Or can someone post the troubleshooting tree for this code. I don't want to just throw parts at it.

But if I need to start pitching, I'm thinking:

1. Vacuum Leak/Intake leak.
    2. MAF dirty
    3. Low voltages
    4. Bad O2 sensor

The light goes out when the vehicle gets moving.

Any thoughts, help etc. The vehicle drives well, but trips this light during extended idling.

TIA

TB
  • Hey Ken,

I drive up 91 and then goto Troy, just southeast of Keene. Stay at a Inn there, very nice. Thanks for the camp invite, might take you up on it.

Neil
    If you go to the Bonneville Owners photo gallery and the Aurora forum you will see pics from the gathering we held in Rockaway NJ on Sunday.

Too bad there were no LeSabres there to round out the full sized GM offerings.

Ken
  • bryangzbryangz Posts: 24
    Hi,

My mother has a 2000 Lesabre and has had a stalling problem. The car stalls and is hard to restart. Additionally, the electric door locks do not work when this happens. This really upset her as she couldn't get out the car (until I showed her the manual door lock ; )). Anyway, the car only has 3000 miles on it, new air filter, oil has been changed, etc. Also, no check engine light has stayed on.

Anyone else have a stalling problem and the also the associated "dead" electric door lock problem?

I have a 2000 Intrigue (yes, I'm now an orphan) and recently had a stalling problem that was caused by a crankshaft and oxygen sensor. Any problems like this with the 3.8?

Thanks,
    Bryan
  • My mom had her 2K Lesabre stall once since she bought it a year ago. I have never stalled fuel injected GM car and this brand new car with 2500 miles on it at the time stalled while driving down a hill at low speed. It restarted immediately and has not done it since. Dealer did replace battery for a bad cell.That was due to a battery draining , which we still can't explain. You can also program your door locks not to lock automatically with help from the owner's manual. I disconnected hers because carjackings are a rarity here in southern Missouri, but if she was in a wreck, the doors could be opened quickly.
    I just finished reading the Auto Weekend section of the Washington Times newspaper, a section that appears every Friday. Lo and behold, on page E13, a review of the Buick LeSabre, under a heading which reads LeSabre isn't sexy, but it sells.

I had a feeling right away that I wasn't going to like this article. I was pretty much right.

The article was reprinted by The Times from an article by Jim Mateja of the Chicage Tribune. I felt that Mr. Mateja had a good overall impression of the LeSabre, but I also feel that he missed the boat on a few things.

Here are a few clips from the article:

" ... but the LeSabre is a machine for OFs -- or Old Folks. ... But then there's the styling, phoned in by the same outfit that does most full-size General Motors sedans -- Bland and Boring."

I'll be the first to admit that the LeSabre isn't going to turn heads on the highway, but I don't believe that Mr. Mateja is giving the LeSabre enough marks for styling. Most major automotive publications have given the new LeSabre (2000 and on) very good marks for styling, especially the Jag-type lines and the more aggressive look it has. Compare the new LeSabre to the previous model and the differences are apparent. I would hardly call the styling Bland and Boring.

" ... the $235 Gran Touring suspension that's tuned for a smooth ride with very little sacrifice in handling."

I don't believe that Mr. Mateja conveyed his feeling about the GT suspension properly. He makes it sound like the GT suspension doesn't detract from the normal handling of the car, as opposed to stating properly that it is supposed to firm up the cars handling with little sacrifice in road smoothness. At least he stated that this was one of the options to purchase.

"Forget the $190 optional memory seats/mirrors with power lumbar drivers seat unless you switch drivers daily."

I think most people would agree that memory seats and power lumbar are very desirable accessories. There is more than one use for memory seating, it doesn't have to be for two drivers. I use the Driver 1 setting when I'm alone in the car. With this setting, the seat is all the way back and reclined. I use the Driver 2 setting to move the seat forward a little and to tilt the seats upwards. This gives rear passengers a little more room when I'm playing chauffeur. Also, anyone who has tried to adjust a manual lumbar seat while driving would agree that a power lumbar seat is the only way to go.

I really get the impression that Mr. Mateja got the keys to a LeSabre Limited, drove it around the block once, and then wrote this article. He gave the car good marks for value, options, and reliability. At the same time, he really missed out on the opportunity to emphasize the direction that Buick is taking the car. Too bad that the LeSabre has, and probably will continue to have, a reputation as an "OF" car, especially with shallow reviews like the one from Mr. Mateja. I've been around cars a long time. I can tell the goods when I see them. The LeSabre has got the goods. The new edition of the car, inside and out, is a huge improvement over the previous model. Next time you review a car, Mr. Mateja, please give it a fair shake. The LeSabre deserves better.

Mike
    Mike - Seems like a lot of these guys don't have a clue what the typical American sedan buyer is looking for. Buick has done a pretty good job of understanding that if prior LeSabre sales figures are any indication. And this OF stuff is beginning to wear thin on me at 46 now. These gen x writers seem to think that all cars targeted at the over 40 crowd are a useless waste of natural resources.

Give me a smooth riding, spacious and fuel efficient full sized American sedan like LeSabre (or my Bonneville) any day. They handle better than ever and are still the best value for the hard earned dollar IMO.

Ken
  • woodybuickwoodybuick Posts: 33
    And knowing what Mateja likes..

Fair warning, I am about to shread this guy apart!

Small, imports. Period. He has never liked american cars. Maybe the Viper. I think he said something about the rear window being too small. His job is to critique every car that comes across his driveway, and find faults. He does a great job at it. The only other problem I personally have with him is the fact that sometimes he is dead wrong. I have seen him say something was not available on a car when, in fact, it was standard equipment. I have seen him say this is a great option when, in fact, it isn't available. I am not sure how he kept his job as long as he has or how he became an authority in the automotive industry.

On a lighter side, I look forward to reading his articles when they come out. Gives me a great hearty chuckle. Grats to you both for seeing through his typical bland and boring reviews.

Jeff

ps. I sell more memory seat options to people that have bad knees and backs. I am one of them and I'm 29. Having that exit position is nice..set it up to raise the seat and move it all the way back causes less stress on the joints when leaving. Then, when returning to the car, just hit the position 1 button, viola.
  • dispencerdispencer Posts: 6
    Does anyone have this problem? When you make a sharp left or right turn, there is a creaking noise in the front left side as the car rolls back on an even keel. There is also a creaking or cracking noise as you put on the brakes. My 90 and 94 LeSabres didn't have this creaking noise and the local dealer won't do anything because "nothing is broken" and "Buick won't pay for diagnosis". Car has 11k miles and has been doing this since shortly after I bought it . It was a demo with a thousand miles on it. It sounds like a strut bushing to me - I've written Buick. The Regional service guy will look at it next week. Thanks! Karl
    I've got a similar problem. When I turn the car to the left, especially on a slow highway curve, my suspension makes a groaning sound. Happens no matter what speed I'm driving. I'm about due for my 6000 checkup, so I'm going to push the dealer a little harder on this than I did last time. As I recall, I got the old, "Thats a problem with every LeSabre" answer.

I'm a little concerned about this "Buick won't pay for diagnosis" nonsense. I believe that our cars have a 3-year, 36000 mile bumper-to-bumper warrenty. If the suspensions are making a creaking or groaning sound, there is a problem there.

Let me know how it goes, Karl.

Woodbuick -- any comments about suspension noises or problems that you have heard of ???

Thanks.

Mike
    2001 LeSabre Limited
    Medium Red Pearl, Taupe Interior
  • roseanne1roseanne1 Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 LeSabre Limited with only 47,700 miles on it. Has anyone ever experienced a slight "chug" in the transmission that only occurs in the last 2-3 feet of a slow stop and only occasionally? I drive the car around town in 3rd and only use Overdrive on the freeway. The transmission shifts up and down great. I have been to my mechanic twice about this issue and he thinks the lock-out converter solenoid is going bad. Aren't solenoids like everything else on the ewer cars, they work or they don't? Everything on the "net" tells me that when the solenoid goes the car dies at a stop. I am told the solenoid is inside the transmission and am not looking to pay several hundred dollars if this is not the issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.
  • frank118frank118 Posts: 1
    Hi Folks, first time posting so please excuse any bloopers. I just became the proud owner of a 1996 Lesabre with 94000K. I've never experienced anything like it. This isn't your average run of the mill car, with the GRAN Touring option and Toyo 800Ultra tires it actually handles just about anything I can throw at it. Fact of the matter is I tend to chicken out before it does. Managed to find an almost pristine one, no dings almost no wear and well maintained in white with black molding and pinstripes. With the 16" MAG wheels it almost looks sporty. Anyway I have two questions which I hope you folks can help me with. It seems that the recommended tire pressure sticker got waxed off the door by an over zealous previous owner, so now I can't read the pressure recommendation. The owners guide says look at sticker. Can a kind soul fill me in on this. I'm currently at 32 front and rear. The second question is has anyone experienced the check oil level indicator staying on for about 20 seconds after starting the car, then going off. Yes, checked the obvious, the oil level is fine. But this indicator's behavior doesn't correspond to the owners guide if the the oil was low anyway.
    Says it should go off then come back on for 20 to 45 seconds if over a pint is missing. Afraid to go to dealer cause with this car it looks like it'll cost $200 just to make an appointment.

Thanks in advance for any insights you can offer.

Frank.