Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• Hey everyone,
    Sorry about not writing sooner, but I have been busy. Since macarthur2 asked for road reports, I thought I would contribute mine. I have a 2000 Limited Silver/Grey Leather interior with everything except the memory seats and HUD Package. I have 16,500 miles on the car and it still rides like new. No problems with the car at all and I get 31 mpg on highway and about 21 city. I drive 25 miles to work each way at 65 mph on highway. I have changed the oil every 3000 to 3500 miles and keep the tires at 32 psi. Nothing else has been done to the car in terms of service. I love the car and would buy another one without a thought. Feel free to email me or ask any question's. I'll try to write more often.

Neil
  • cw10cw10 Posts: 2
    to Eric 227, thanks for the reply... problem not fixed,so they wash the car for me ? so if it happens again... will mention "map sen cr."
  • ez2changeez2change Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 Buick Century and love it. However, I have started to hear a click when I apply the brake. It usually cannot be heard unless I am going under 30. The click will not happen again until I accelerate then brake again. Sounds like it comes from the middle uder the car. The biggest problem is that it will do it for a week then not for another week. Anybody have a similar situation?
  • andymsnandymsn Posts: 14
    I've been looking for a cream puff 1998 or newer Park or a 2000 or newer LeSabre with lower miles (under 36k) at the right price for a while. 30+mpg on the highway for a car that big still amazes me. I own a 1992 Bonneville with 167k that still gets 28+ which I'm planning to keep.

About two months ago, I discovered the bucket seat/console option on a Park I saw and I personally think it's the Road Warrior's dream setup. I've been told that the console option is relatively rare as it makes the car into a five person vehicle and dealers don't like to take them used because they're harder to sell. I'd also been told that after 1998 or 99, the console is only available on the Ultra but on Friday, I found out that it's available on Limiteds with leather, too!!

Last week, I thought I had nailed a 1998 Park with buckets/console but found out through a connection of mine at the DMV that it had been t-boned in 1999. It was otherwise in great shape and I obtained all the service records for it (including the hit) and there were no unusual entries after the accident (alignments, etc.). Nonetheless, pretty much bagged the car because of the hit.

I called around to some dealerships last Thursday to see who had what. Surprisingly, found a 2000 LeSabre Limited, Y56, traction control, HUD, leather AND the console with about 6600 miles on it along with a few Parks that interested me so I checked them out.

Drove the LeSabre and really liked it except that very mild vibration between 50 and 60 and at about 70, perhaps because the tires are out of round from the car sitting for so long on their lot. The tires on it were Firestone 225/60/16s. I've read some about that on here and I want to confirm that it can be dealt with by either new tires and/or proper balancing? Also, are those Firestones the original equipment for the Y56 suspension? I thought it shipped with Generals? I'm partial to Goodyear for all-seasons and Michelin Artic Alpins for winter. Has anyone used either and, if so, did you get no/worse/some vibration?

My other and more important question is what people think this car is worth? According to the sticker in the glove compartment, this car was built in August, 1999, stickered for $30,700, or so, and was ordered by the dealer I drove it at. Apparently, they used it for a demo and their Service Manager drove it for a few months during that time. The disclosure sticker indicates they've had it for sale since mid-December, 1999!!! It's never been titled to anyone so it's still considered a "new" car so I COULD qualify for new car rates (although not GM promotional rates), even though it's almost TWO years out of current model year.

The numbers on here indicate a Limited-base trade value of $16,700 and $19,500 on a customized analysis. Dealer retail alleges $19,500 base and $22,600 with the options. Kelley says $19,800 on trade with options and retail of $23,300. I haven't been able to get Black Book on it yet. I asked the dealer to give me a figure to chew on over the weekend and they came back with $26,300.00, which I HOPE they didn't think I'd agree to pay.

The car appeals to me but I'm not willing to save their behinds by immediately being way upside down on it the minute I drive it off their lot (I'm planning to put about $2,000 down plus tax).

What should I pay for this car? I know it's a weird situation. Anyone's thoughts are very much appreciated!!!!
  • vtech83vtech83 Posts: 66
    Andymsn:

I've got a 2001 LeSabre Limited with every option except the engine block heater. Sounds like the car you are interested in is pretty much decked out the same way. If you decide to buy it, you'll love it.

Here are my thoughts. As far as the Park Ave vs LeSabre question goes, I personally think the LeSabre is a better value. There used to be a pretty good gap between the two cars, but now you can get most of the Park Ave options on a LeSabre Limited. The Ultra tops out over $10,000 more than a loaded LeSabre Limited. Besides the Supercharged engine and a little more room, I don't know what you're buying for the extra $10,000. I'm talking about new car prices, of course.

I've driven both cars, and I feel like the LeSabre is a much more balanced vehicle. It rides as smooth as the Park Ave but I feel it handled much better. I've driven both cars with the Y56 suspension; the Park Ave still rolls around too much for my taste. The LeSabre corners much better.

I prefer the interior of the LeSabre to the Park Ave. The LeSabre is much more contemporary than the Park Ave. It also has the "catcher's mitt" seats that is supposed to cushion your body much better in the event of an impact. I don't believe that the Park has these type of seats.

The LeSabre is also a better looking vehicle. It's not much bigger than a Regal or Century and has a very Jaguar-ish type look to it, especially from the rear. The Park still looks like a big Buick with a front grille that swallows up the entire nose.

Now, back to your "new" 2000 LeSabre. A fair price for that car is about $23,500. If you buy it at $26,000, the dealership guys will be high-fiving each other as soon as you drive it off the lot. If you really like the car, play hardball and offer $23,000. Don't go over $24,000. This car is basically a wart on the dealerships lot right now. They want to get rid of it. If I were you, I would offer $23,000 and if they say no, just walk away. I'd bet anything they'll take your offer just to get rid of it.

I'm starting to close in on 9000 miles and I can't find a thing about the car I don't like. I also disagree strongly with the notion that the bucket seats and center console available in the LeSabre lower it's potential resale value. In my opinion, there are only two cars built in the world that can comfortably seat six people - The Caddy DeVille and the Lincoln Town Car. Other cars may have a bench seat in the front, but I couldn't imagine trying to haul six people around, especially on a long trip. The extra storage space of the real console plus the extra power outlets available more than make up for the lack of a sixth seating position.

If your budget is too tight for a new car, grab the LeSabre you've been looking at. If the dealer won't budge, get a new one. Wait until one of the holiday weekends; dealers are always dumping cars then at good prcies and/or financing.

Good luck.
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    Back from a 2000 mile trip on my 1994 LeSabre. No problem at all...not a single. And really drove the rig over the limit on the PA roads in a rainstorm (I take 5th on specifying how much over). Passed several BMWs and Audis on the way. This car has amazinlgy high limits. And it is so comfortable on long trips!!! The family loved it. To put in context...last year's trip of 500 miles one way in a Civic had put me out with back pain for a whole day.
  • spindelspindel Posts: 8
    2000 Lesabre Ltd with 17K has steering wheel vibration on US Highways at 60- 70MPH. I have 15 inch General Tires that are not worn. I've had the alignment and wheel balance checked. My daughter has a Honda Van with Michelin Symmetry tires that do not provide any steering wheel vibration.
    Is there any way to correct this problem without spending a fortune for new tires, or is new tires the answer.

Thanks
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Posts: 135
    Have a competent tire shop check the tires for being out of round or for a cord which may be crooked. There is also a chance for a warped rim.
  • eric227eric227 Posts: 8
    Does anymore know if there will be any new colors for the LeSabre in 2002?
  • 9899olds9899olds Posts: 202
    It's kinda like a rocking chair; in fact at speed the long stroke struts don't have enough umph to keep the tire in contact with road and evidently the tires will start to cup/flat spot..

My encounters with Buicks is only with three of them, all bought new; 87 Electra T-Type,92 Regal GS, and a 94 LeSabre. The 87 was my wife's car and I flat spotted all four tires on a quick trip to S.Fla from Detroit when the car had less than 20K. Sold at with 34k miles.. 92 Regal GS creamed 4 sets of Eagles in 90k miles and the 94 went to 113k miles. The 94 LeSabre was given all new struts at my expense at 50k since the originals were totally shot--replaced with Monroes by the Buick dealer per my instructions..

The Grand Touring pkg is a sham; for no Buick suspension will withstand continual 75+ on a daily basis..It ain't a road car..

It's the soft creamy ride that is downright dangerous in any serious road maneuver..In panic stops I realize why seat belts are needed--to keep from sliding out of the seat onto the floor!!!!

The drivetrain is std issue GM which is okay, no excitement..The pricing is too high and someone is looking at a 2000 LeSabre for 25+; sheer madness..not worth much over 22 max..

For a similiar size car the Pontiac Bonneville is a much better handling car that will age gracefully, don't really like the looks but its geared for performance and roadability..

Just my two cents; after all it's your money..
    Thanks for your glowing review of Buicks past. I suggest you spend some time in a 2000+ LeSabre or Regal GS before you start slamming the road manners anymore. I'm not expecting my LeSabre to keep up with a BMW 5-series through a twisting road but I also know that the Gran Touring suspension has alot more bite than you are giving it credit for.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. I just don't agree with yours.
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    Can only sympathise with you...and you are right...it's for everyone to decide himself. I have only to say that my personal experience differs from yours by a mile...

I will not slam you though as I hold my opinion that these forums are more specifically to discuss problems and issues and you are welcome and requested to continue participation.
    vtech83:::::as stated it is real life experience and never did I compare the Buicks to a Bimmer..We are talking only about a suspension system working to hold the tire steady against the road. If your car is used 95% high speed interstate, my friend, you will find out..The quick trip down to the corner store or across town doesn't prove a thing..

jimsxn:::::as stated, it's for your info only and I certainly wasn't slamming Buick but after 250k miles of swift travel in those cars the tire problem was a major concern..My son-in-law has a 96 Riv which suffers the rear tire cupping scenario as explained..Both of my Intrigues, 98 and the 99 for a total to date of 73k miles have never gave any indication of cupping or flat spotting..The normal cruise speed is 75/85 to top end..At 47k on the 99 3.5 Intrigue the tires are getting thin; but they are still perfect, absolutely no irregular wear pattern-same balance as new and same alignment..Worst rutty roads in the USA are in Mich but the stiff suspension of the Intrigue is a blessing..Before I bought the 98 Intrigue, I drove a 98 Regal GS and within two blocks the old rocking chair motion was there..

The suspensions are totally different..
    For what it's worth my commuting habits cover a range of driving conditions on a daily basis. Also for what its worth, I spent a couple of years in a 91 LeSabre and never once encountered any of your rear tire cupping or flat spotting problems. The car had 150,000 on it when I finally sold it and never once had a tire or suspension problem.

The new G-bodies from GM are probably the best chassis they make outside the Vette. The new LeSabres are noticibly tighter with a much stiffer suspension than before. Add the Gran Touring setup and you've got a car that cruises like a dream on the highway and handles like a dream when you need to toss it around.

Enjoy your Olds. Hang on to it or you might be buying a Buick Aurora one day.
    If you drove a 91 LeSabre w/o any suspension problems, tire problems or any strut replacement; then truly we are reading from different pages of the book..

Our driving habits are totally different for I don't nurse a car..

Maybe they have changed the Touring pkg since my test drive of a new 98 Regal GS which was about 10 minutes after I drove a GTP Pontiac..

Each GM division concocts their own suspension setup and shared body shells really doesn't reflect the final handling or ride outcome..
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Posts: 135
    You need to visit the local Buick dealer and drive the new LeSabre. Unless you just want to keep comparing bananas to oranges---there is that much difference. Mine cruises nicely at 75mph and gets 31mpg to boot--and no tire problem. No bottoming and no sway or nose dive. And mine has the 16" tires and does not have the Gran Touring Suspension.
    As for the Pontiac--excuse me--no, don't bother, it is not a pretty sight to behold. But I can see you buying one if you want handling and don't mind a kidney transplant in the future--they offer three differnt suspensions. But driving a Buick like a sports car or driving hard and pushing it into turns, etc is just not usually the reason folks buy Buicks to start with.
  • gmlover1gmlover1 Posts: 60
    I agree with the above post if someone is looking for a sports car a lasabre is not the right choice . But if your looking for a car that large enough for four people and cruses efortlesly at any reasonable speed and gets 30 + m.p.g it,s worth a test drive.
    Nobody said anything about a sports car handling and anything close to that higher plateau..Buick does not change and problems develop after the 20k mark..The LeSabre line used to get the low-life General Tire which was totally worthless..

Enjoy the floaty ride..A Bonneville is no sports car but does exhibit some of the finer points of sedan driveability..
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    My 2000 Bonneville SE is an awesome car. It demonstrates none of the 'floatiness' yet is not harsh riding either - a great ride. Now the suspension on SLE and SSEi certainly is tauter and the supercharger will give you thrills till you pay at the pump for premium (unless fuel cost is no concern). I also get 28 - 32 mpg highway mileage at steady 75 mph depending on use of A/C and relative flatness of terrain.

Personally, I prefer the interior to that of the LeSabre since I wanted the buckets and console with floor shifter this time out after 2 Grand Marquis. Some prefer the bench - SE has it available.

The styling of the upper classmen SLE and SSEi is more controversial than the SE which carries a nice chrome strip down the side rather than plastic body cladding, and the SE front is less confrontational too.

Price is very attractive - new list is $26K for mine - no leather or SR. I bought mine in Jan this year - preowned with 18K miles for $16K - and am totally thrilled with the car.

Give it another look - it's a great car.

Ken
    macarthur2 (re:465):

Well stated! Could not have said it better myself! I had a 91 LeSabre once before that my brother sold to me for a song. It was getting a little floaty after 150,000 miles, but it still rode and handled well for a car of that size and weight and after 150,000, what do you expect! The new LeSabres are a totally different animal. Mine has the Gran Touring setup, but I had the dealer put on a set of chrome wheels from a Park Ave with Goodyear LS tires. Not the best set of rubber out there, but I didn't want Firestones on my new car. I drove the car before I had the new wheels/tires put on and there was a noticible difference between the Goodyears and the Firestones -- the handling was much better. As soon as the Goodyears wear out, I'll put on a set of Michelins. I have no doubt the handling will improve even more. Regardless of the improved handling, the car is a super highway cruiser. Great combination of ride and cornering.

tpken:

Whasssss up Bonneville cuz! Been out of the forum for awhile but I still lurk around from time to time. Heard you had a broken foot -- hope everything is going well. I actually saw a black 2001 SSEi today for the first time. I have to admit, I'm no great fan of the SSEi styling, but black is a color on that car I could live with. It was sharp. The LeSabre is going about its business without any problems. My daughter gets on my case because I clean it all the time. I guess we've all got our vices. Hope the SE is treating you well.

I have to admit that I get a kick out of hearing the cupholder complaints in the Bonnie forum. It doesn't look like the best setup out there, but really, when you think about it, who really does have a good cupholder design. Maybe C&D or R&T or Motor Trend should do a feature about cupholders! It seems like every review of a new car has something negative to say about cup holders. Mine work OK as long as you have the right size cup in it. You can also fit in a regular size coffee mug -- it has slots for the handle to fit in. Not a bad design, but it takes up alot of real estate. I've heard they redesigned the cup holders for 2002. I'll have to take a look sometime.

Later buddy.

- Mike