Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• gmlover1gmlover1 Posts: 60
    I remember when the only cup holder you had was your knees.
  • vtech83vtech83 Posts: 66
    One of my favorite cup holders was putting the cup against the passenger seatback and pushing my briefcase against it. Worked pretty well for most beverages. Perfect for Big Gulps. Lousy for small cups of coffee. Of course, the ultimate cup holder is the front seat passanger!
    Yet, the knees are still to this day an all time classic!

- Mike
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Our Suburban has the best design I've seen. It's a pull-out drawer that opens for 2 sturdy holders that will accommodate most anything - and it's up high - easy to grab the mug without reaching around or looking for the handle at night. Back seat has two nice ones in the fold down armrest - similar to the Bonnie but also includes a tissue dispenser - good place to accumulate assorted Lego pieces!

Mike - The foot's doing better thanks - went to doc today - just have to go easy for a while - no hiking or water skiing this summer. Thanks for saying "Hi" - glad to hear your LeSabre is soldiering on. I've driven 14K miles on top of the original 18K the car had on it - Bonnie now has 32K and running great!

Ken
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    Battery running down because of a light left on is a perennial problem.
  • lormarlormar Posts: 3
    My 70 something parents have always driven Ford Crown Vic's but need to downsize and economize.
    We are looking at '99 LaSabre. Anyone have any comments on this particular year? Reliability, repair histories, comfort for longer trips, short driver, etc. Thanks!
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Posts: 135
    If Mom and Pop like the size of the Crown Vic's interior space they will feel right at home in a 2000 LeSabre. The car is 14" shorter than a Crown Victoria and 4" narrower. Yet the interior space is within tenths of an inch in every measurement. Oh and you give up 2 cubic feet of trunk space--which on the Crown Vic is that big hole where the spare use to go. The Buick has nice flat usuable trunk space. Have them try one out. I don't imagine the 99 models interior is much different space wise. Fords old style chassis frame is a big space waster. So they would end up with a slightly smaller car with virtually the same interior room.
  • danc9danc9 Posts: 1
    My 1991 Buick LeSabre (with 52,000 miles) will not start in cold, wet conditions...like a wet snow/slush storm. This only happens at the first start of the day. If I've already started the car and bad weather heads in, the car will be fine. But if I have not started the car yet that day and the weather is bad...it won't start again until the air dries out. The car is fine at all other times except when it's cold and wet. I'm told this seems like a distributor problem but my baffled mechanic says that car is distributor-less. He has also sprayed the wires when the car is running and detects no breaks. What can I do??
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Posts: 647
    Does it not crank or not fire?

If it doesn't crank, or cranks slowly, then perhaps your battery connections are loose or corroded.

If it doesn't seem to 'fire up' so to speak then you have to determine if you have fuel and spark.

How do the plugs look? The wires could be fine, or appear fine, but still have poor connections. The plugs could be worn. If you are still on the original plugs at 51K, it wouldn't hurt to change them out.

Also, how is the connection to the coil pack? Both plug wires and the "computer connections"

Do you hear the fuel pump turn on when you turn on the key. It should run for a few seconds to build fuel pressure until the engine starts. I know I can hear the pump on my 1987, it is really loud.

Other sensor connections such as the crank position sensor, cam position sensor. If these are not making a good contact the computer may not know when to send the spark.

Just a few basic thoughts.

TB
  • spindelspindel Posts: 8
    What kind of tires do you have and are they 15 or 16 inch. I am experiencing a vibration at highway speeds on my 2001 Lesabre limited. I have 15 inch General Tires with 17,000 miles on them. The car was aligned and tires rotated and balanced at 13,000 miles. It was good for about 200 to 300 miles after that, but the vibrations came back. Please respond.

Thanks
    Spindel
  • spindelspindel Posts: 8
    This is Spindel. I meant to say my 2000 Buick Lesabre Limited.

Spindel
    Took my LeSabre in for a 9000 mile check and the dealer gave me a 97 Park Avenue to drive. Just your "basic" Park Ave with the standard suspension, but the car did have Michelins on it. What a difference from the Goodyear Eagle LS! These things are quiet and grip the road like velcro. The suspension is soft and the car rolls much more than my LeSabre does, but when you hit a corner, the Michelins really hold the road. I would love to see what these would do for the LeSabre with the GT suspension.

- Mike
    This is a cosmetic issue here, but it is pretty annoying, considering that my car spends maybe an hour a day in the sun and is only seven months old. The rest of the time it spends in the parking garage at work and in my garage at home.

I noticed recently that the top of the rear bumper is starting to look like a small roller coaster. The thing is warped all along the top of the bumper. I showed it to my dealer who basically told me that "they all do that".

Wonderful.

A $33,000 car with a bumper so thin that it can't stand a few hours of sunlight a week. The dealer told me that the owner's car (also a LeSabre) does the same thing and he pointed out several other LeSabres that had the same problem.

I don't care "if they all do that". This is crap! It makes the car look like a cheap toy!

Has anyone else had this problem with their rear bumpers in 2000 or 2001 LeSabres. My old Corvette bumper did the same thing, but it took over 13 years and who knows how many thousands of hours in the sun for that to happen.

I hope the dealer has an answer for this. If I get one, I'll pass it along. Putting a new bumper on and painting it is not an option. The same thing will probably happen again.

- Mike
  • prigglypriggly Posts: 643
    What is the effect of the GT suspension on the LeSabre ride? Does it offer a significant improvement and, if so, how?

Thanks.
    The GT suspension on the LeSabre adds 16" wheels and tires, a little stiffer suspension, and bigger front and rear stabilizer bars. Don't mistake this setup for a full blown sports suspension -- it isn't it. What it does do is make the LeSabre a much more confident handling car, especially on a twisty road or when making lane changes on the highway.

At the same time, I don't believe that ride quality has suffered at all. With the GT suspension, the LeSabre is still a smooth highway cruiser that soaks up bumps very well. It's a great combination.

Highly recommended. It should be standard on all LeSabres.

- Mike
  • mekeelwmekeelw Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 LeSabre with 17k miles. About 5k ago I noticed a slight ticking noise at idle when the car was warmed up. The oil (Exxon SuperFlo 10-30) has been changed every 3500 miles
    along with the filter (Purolator Plus). Has anyone else experienced this? Could it be tappet noise or maybe the fuel injectors? Thanks for your help.
    Bill
  • macarthur2macarthur2 Posts: 135
    If you don't want to do the gran touring suspension you could try driving one with the 16" tire option. There is a difference and it may be enough to satisfy you.
  • I have the Firestone Affinity 16 inch tires that came with the car. They were standard with the Gran Touring Package. Like I said earlier, I have had no problem's with the tires.

Mike,
    I have not noticed any warping with my rear bumper and my car is outside 24 hours a day. I don't know what part of the country you live in Mike, but I am in the Northeast. That might be the difference. If not then I would definately get it checked out by Buick.
    I live in Northern Virginia, and granted our summers here can get pretty sweltering. But none the less, there is no reason why my bumper should be rippled like it is right now. I've shown the car to one Buick dealer so far who told me that could replace the bumper with a new part. And since they pretty much admit that other LeSabres have the same problem, what is the point ??? I'll get a new part that will probably have the same problem at some point, plus I get a lousy paint job on the bumper (this dealer doesn't do the best body work).

I'll talk to some other dealers in the area and get their input, but in the end, I'll probably end up taking the car to a place that is willing to reinforce the bumper with some hard plastic or metal on the other side. That way, the problem is hopefully solved and I've still got a bumper with a fatory paint job on it.

If I'm really bold, I'll try doing this myself. I've got the Helms manuals for the LeSabre and taking off the rear bumper is not as hard as I thought. I've been tinkering with cars for ages now, so this really doesn't scare me.

I guess I'm a little disappointed (but not surprised) at the dealers reaction to this. From their point of view, they don't care and they're not going to go the extra mile to solve my problem. Actually, the dealer did say he could try stuffing some styrofoam under the bumper and seeing if that would keep it straight. It was all I could do to keep from laughing when I heard that.

I think Buick has a problem here. It's only cosmetic, but it is something they should address. I do plan on sending them a letter regardless.

- Mike
  • I'm having some problems with my 2000 Buick LeSabre air conditioning. The air conditioner intermittently blows out cool air, rather than COLD air. I took it into the dealer and on that particular day they couldn't find a problem. Anyone else had this problem?
  • Do you have the manual or automatic air?