Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    I never get any better than 16MPG in city (16 miles commute - stop and go)...I got about 26 on highway.

By the way I aleady got the fuel system and plugs tuned. The above mentioned figures are after the tune up.

Otherwise, this thing is a pleasure...solidly built as a tank and totally reliable.
  • andymsnandymsn Posts: 14
    Considering a 2000 Buick LeSabre Limted with about 7k, Y56, 16" Affinity tires, leather buckets, console, traction control and HUD (not sure if it has heated seats). This car has never been titled and is still "new." In other words, the dealer apparently ordered the car and accepted it in about September of 1999. Allegedly, it was used for a demonstrator and one of their managers used it to commute from work to home and back.

If I purchased the car, the dealer claims the bumper-to-bumper warranty would start as of the date of purchase and extend for 36 months or to approximately 43,000 miles, whichever comes first. I had a friend of mine who works for another GM dealer run the VIN through GM's warranty database and it came up as having been initiated in late September, 1999. Obviously, I have some serious concerns in this department because the dealer is located approximately 90 miles from my home. Thoughts on the issue are appreciated.

I posted quite a while ago regarding what the cognoscenti on this board thought would be a fair price for the vehicle. The responses were thoughtful and I appreciate people taking the time to express their opinions. Unfortunately, the dealer was not reasonable and so I decided he could keep his car. Over three months and now a second model year later, the dealer still has the car. Thoughts on what the car is worth now would be appreciated. I'm thinking something on the order of wholesale value (I think the reason they haven't taken it to the auction is that they CAN'T because it's never been titled).

FINALLY, I rented a 2001 LeSabre and it has that damn vibration problem at 60-70 mph which drove me nuts. As I recall, the car I'm considering also had the issue when I test drove it. I know some have claimed that the tires being "out of round" is one possible cause of the problem, but I'm not sure I buy it. Does anyone have a legitmate, tried and true fix for the issue or is it simply a suspension problem, NOT tire/wheel balance issue?

Thank you in advance for anyone taking the time to respond.
  • I have a 2000 LeSabre and do not have any "vibration problem" However it has the optional 16" tires (Generals) without the handling package. I have had it up to 80 on our 75mph turnpikes and it is steady as a rock, there is no vibration. A friend has a similar LeSabre, also on General tires and no vibration. I'd be interested to know if this so called vibration problem has anything to do with the Affinity tires. Maybe you could ask other folks who have the vibration to identify the tire brand? Cord separation could also be the problem--it takes a tire pro to spot it.
  • marki1marki1 Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2001 LeSabre Custom, which had all the features I wanted except an that is has the cassette player instead of the in-dash cd. Is it possible to add a cd changer that is controlled by the radio controls? I know Buick offered it as a trunk-mounted option, but I think they may have recently stopped (on the 2002) and it may have applied to the Limited only (maybe the Limited was pre-wired or had to be ordered with that option to be wired). The dealer offered to install a CD changer that plays through a radio station, but I figured if I decide to do that I'll wait a while (I can always get that from an audio installer).

If it not possible to get an integrated radio-control operated CD changer, what are people's experiences with aftermarket RF cd changes (those that play through a radio frequenc and come with their own controls)?

Thanks
  • tiny6tiny6 Posts: 6
    I'm thinking of getting a 2002 Buick LeSabre. What's the best price going for an extended warranty? I know Honda has a 7 year, 100K miles and 0 deductable that goes for as low as $850. Does Buick or GM have something similar. Besides responding here, if you wouldn't mind letting me know via emai I'd appreciate it; jamesavery2@earthlink.net. Thanks.
  • Click on Advice (at the top of this page)and then Warrantys and read what Edmunds has to say about extended warranty. Also you may want to read what Consumers Guide/Digest thinks. Some like the idea and some really don't. If you are buying but will trade off in three years forget the extended warranty. But if you intend to drive it 'till the wheels fall off' you might want to consider one. Shop around though I have seen them add $1700 to a friends Grand Marquis purchase and that was a rip off. Read up on them so you can be an informed purchasers. That's my two cents worth.
  • Hey gang,

I'm helping my mom with the first car purchase she's ever had to make on her own, and she's got her eye on a 1996/1997 LeSabre. I've never owned one myself, and wondered what all of you had to say about them. I know they have generally solid reps, but the law of averages says each car has its' own problem areas too.

We've got a mechanic lined up to double check anything she is really interested in, but if any of you folks knew of potential problems unique to LeSabre's it'd really help out.

Thanks in advance for any help...later.
  • I too, have the gens with the 16 wheels, they seemed to be OK but I have a very minor vibration which I attribute to the rock collection these tires pick up. I've never seen anything like this. Every rotation I pick out the rocks one by one with a screwdriver. You would not believe what comes out. Sooner or later, I'll own Michelins....Also, has anyone had a stalling problem when decending hills? Mine's done it twice since new, summer of 2000.
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    Whether a car like the one you describe is new or used depends on the state you live in. In CA, such a car is new and the new car warranty begins at the mileage and date when first sold. As for price, I would look at Edmunds retail pricing for a used car as a guide. The only extra thing you might be getting is the extra warranty, and this is not enough to alter the price, just enough to seal the deal. The should be plenty of data on 2000 models to get a good feel for used retail pricing.
  • hardestyhardesty Posts: 166
    The factory CD changer can not be added to these cars (there is a GM TSB on this). The CD changer ties into the class 2 serial data bus, and if the car was built without the changer, the data bus is not wired back into the trunk. There may be a cassette/CD combo (like the one in the Aurora) that would be a drop in, or if you do not need the cassette, an in-dash CD changer may be an option.
  • I have owned my 2000 LeSabre Limited with the Grand Touring Package since June of 1999. It has the Firestone Affinity tires. I have been completely satisfied with the car and everything that came on it. I have not experienced any vibration at any speed. I didn't even experience the "dreaded kazoo noise" which people used to complain about in these postings. When I bought this car I thought it would either be the last American car I would ever buy or the first in a long line of Buicks. It now appears that it will be the latter. With this in mind, can anyone direct me to a source which will provide information on Buick's proposed lineup for 2003?
  • I recently rented a 2001 Buick LeSabre Custom for 10 days, and thought I'd throw my initial impressions into the ring, since other posts on Edmunds have been so helpful. We were a family of three driving it both in large cities, straight, multi-lane highways, and very twisty mountainous roads - a good mix!

To reveal my bias, I would never buy a Buick - it's simply not the car for me. That said, here were our impressions after 10 days:

On the good side:

- We found the car was quite roomy, except for front legroom. I do have rather long legs, but found there was not quite enough room even with the seat all the way back. It has driver less legroom that a Maxima or Civic. Otherwise, the car was quite spacious.

- The trunk was similarly spacious - easily swallowing lots of luggage, stroller, etc. with room left over.

- The car had decent acceleration - it never seemed stressed, had power when we needed it, but it wasn't zippy.

- The car had a surprisingly tight turning radius, helpful when parking, getting around the city, etc.

- On straight, major highways, the car was in its element - it floated along in cruise control with barely a sound. It was a real cruiser.

On the down side:

- The car seemed quite big when driving - bigger than most other cars we've driven. We had a bit of a feeling that we were driving a boat.

- The car is tuned on the very, very soft side. It floated everywhere, and simply wallowed on turns or bumps. The tires chirped or squealed when making almost any turn at the posted speed. The car gives you the impression of being a large, heavy beast that prefers highway cruising to curvy roads. That said, we never felt control was lacking - you just couldn't take curves at the speeds you can with most other sedans. That may be a plus for those preferring a softer ride.

- The materials, build quality, etc. were poor or mediocre at best. The dash is an enormous slab of plastic, and the seat materials an unpleasant velour. Did not like it at all, but that may be personal preference.

- We found the seats were far too wide, and lacked side bolstering. They seem to be designed for much "larger" people. Again, that may be in line with the car - it appears to be designed more for highway cruising that twists and turns. It did mean, however, that we felt uncomfortable on long trips.

Overall, for those looking for a soft riding, highway cruiser, I think the car succeeds. For those looking for something else, you should probably want to look elsewhere.

Just my two cents.

Mike
  • FYI, in case anyone really need more legroom: have a machine shop make you up 4 metal plates (1/4 inch thick metal by about 1.75--2 inches by about 3 or 4 inches) have them drill 2 holes in each of the four plates, about 2--3 inches apart. Then get additional bolts, nuts, and washers so that you can bolt the seat to the metal plates and then bolt the metal plates to the original mounting holes (get longer bolts to replace the originals to compensate for the thickness of the metal plates). I've done this for another car I own, works great. I've driven with my seat like this for a long time now and it seems to be very sturdy and safe. Just my 2 cents, in case it helps anyone.
  • Forgot to mention, for the rear-most hole in the two rear plates, instead of a hole, make a slot, so you have some adjustment (which you might need) when installing.
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    Dropped a K&N filter in.....immediate perceptible improvement in throttle response. Recommend highly.
  • I have a 2000 LeSabre and have noticed that right from the start the exhaust pipe has a black carbon build up. Not real bad but it is soft black carbon if you touch it. Car runs great and gets great mileage city and highway. It is NOT consuming oil and has had a new air cleaner element installed at 12,000 miles. Is this carbon (black tailpipe) normal to you all? From my experience most cars today have a pretty clean exhaust pipe, tan or even white colored.
  • artwisartwis Posts: 66
    The wife and I are pretty much set on buying a 2002 Lesabre (custom with 1SE and traction control) as our next new vehicle. Compared to the rest of the forums here on "sedans" there are few complaints on the 2001 Lesabres. Seems as though everyones happy with theirs.
    Art
  • artwisartwis Posts: 66
    Both our Chevrolet truck and venture van have the black type carbon on the end of the pipe as you describe. They both have been good vehicles and run just fine so I feel it's normal.
    Art
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Check out the new Bonneville SE and possibly an Impala LS while your looking. Both are terrific cars and I can personally attest to the Bonneville SE - my car. Both of these cars come std with buckets and console if that interests you as it does me. Mechanically all 3 have the same power train. The Impala is marginally smaller - (all but unnoticeable) and is less expensive but handles a bit better. All are great cars

Good luck

Ken
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    Ditto Ken's comments. I own a 2000 Bonneville, which is essentially the sibling to the LeSabre, and those of us on the Bonneville forum are also very pleased with our cars. If I'm not mistaken, the LeSabre is consistently GM's best-selling full-size sedan. It doesn't have the high-zoot appeal of the "imports" but for us practical, salt-of-the-earth, patriotic types, the LeSabre is a very appealing vehicle. Buy a Buick! It's built in Michigan, and you can't beat 0% financing! Or better yet, go for the Bonneville (if the styling appeals to you, it's a zippier car). Impala had some teething problems for the first couple of years, but I think most of those have been worked out. It's less expensive and very practical, but not as luxurious as the LeSabre or Bonneville.