Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    2000/2001 LeSabre has been named one of the safest cars of all times by NIHS..others (that I remember) are the latest Passat and Civic.
  • First of all to artwis - welcome to the Lesabre Forum. I also own a 2000 LeSabre Limited and am very satisfied with it.

macarthur2 - I have the same black carbon buildup that you described, so I would think that it is pretty normal.

tpken - Good to see you on the Forum again !
  • In the October Consumer Reports, they had a report on tires and winter driving, giving the Firestone Affinity tires low marks for handling in the snow. I had no problems last winter, but now I have 25,000 miles on the tires. I am thinking of changing to Michelins before the snow season starts since they were rated the best for snow handling. I appreciate any comments to help me with my decision. Thank you very much.

Neil
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    I'm in the same situation with my 2000 Bonneville SE. I've got 38K on it now and like you, had no problem at all last winter in all our snow. I was considering Goodyear Aquatread III till I read their miserable snow rating in CR. Not sure where to go now. Which Michelins are you considering?

Ken
  • jimsxnjimsxn Posts: 108
    I have the same dilemma....Actually I had quite made up my mind to go for Michelin Rainforce...now I am not so sure.

Good info about snow tires here:

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/at_011101.htm
  • I am considering purchasing a 2002 LeSabre and would like to know how folks like its stereo system. I would opt for the cassette and cd player model. Thanks.

Rick
  • I have the same system in my 2000 LeSabre Limited and I love it. The best part is having the radio control's on the steering wheel. It makes it so easy to use the system while you are driving. The controls are easy to use. The feature that I like the most is if you are taking a trip, you can push a button and it will find the station's in the area with the strongest signals. If you push it again, it will return the settings to your normal station's when you get back home. Saves time looking for station's while you are traveling.
  • stan13stan13 Posts: 14
    Re: the Le Sabre Sound System: I have a 2000 Limited and although the radio is feature-rich, the sound is at best mediocre. It is one of the few disappointments in an otherwise excellent automobile.
    I believe this has much to do with the average quality of the speakers and poor placement of the front speakers. The sound does not surround you or envelop you such as is the case with some premium sound systems in other auto marques. The sound is very restrictive and leaves one dissatisfied. Unfortunately, there are no aftermarket units available for replacement. The only possibility might be an upgrade in the speakers. I have not yet tried that for fear that I might spend money and find it has not improved it enough to make a difference. Just my opinion. Perhaps the 2001 has seen an improvement..but I doubt if "The General" would be bothered to spend the bucks to upgrade the sound. After all, they're selling bunches of LeSabres, poor sound or not.
  • Does anyone else have a pronounced whine coming from the alternator, noticible until you shift into high? You can hear each shift, whine goes down as rpm's fall. I had a similar noise in my 1994 but less loud. The alternator seems to be working ok. Has anyone installed a new or rebuilt alternator because of this problem and has the noise gone away. I'll have this car for another 5 months, then sell it and find a low mileage 2000 DeVille. This is my last Buick. My 2000 LeSabre had a creaking noise from the front end when you made a sharp turn and the dealer's comeback was that "nothing was broken so tough luck"- ditto with the zone people so hopefully Cadillac will stand behind their product. The best LeSabre I ever had was the 1990 -should have kept it. Karl Spence
  • I never understand?

Can someone kindly tell me?
  • It is French for "the sword". Buick used it in 1959 for first time.

LeSabres used to be the "cheap" full size Buick, usually seen with dog dish hubcaps. Now it's one of the biggest selling GM cars, outselling the Park Ave.
  • oscarz2oscarz2 Posts: 153
    I'm thinking about buying a LeSabre and would like some feedback. Any negative comments about the 2001 or 2002 models? How bout squeaks, rattles, and cabin vibrations? These I can't tolerate because they come and go and are difficult to pinpoint.
  • Definately take one for a drive or better yet rent one for a weekend or short trip. The car sells itself pretty well. Rear seat cushions are a bit too soft. Good power, great highway mileage, slightly firmer ride than the older model. I have had no trouble with my 2000 Lesabre, the first year of the new body style. It gets better mileage than what the magazine road tests say it does. Competition for comparison would be the Mercury Grand Marquis which is physically bigger but the interior dimensions are the same. Try one out.
  • Personally, after the problems I had with a suspension creak in my 2000 LeSabre that the dealer and zone service guy was unwilling to fix I sold it and won't buy another Buick. A year old Cadillac is the same price with a better warrenty and lots more for the money. People here are selling 2001 DeVilles for $26,000 with 28k. Who would spend the same amount for a LeSabre Limited? Anyway - for the person who was considering a 2001 or 2, drive the exact car you are buying before you take delivery. Make shapr turns and see if the suspension creaks when the car rights itself. In my numerous trips to the dealer I discovered that several other 2000 owners had the creaking problem. Other than that -the car is fine. Nothing out of the ordinary and a plain interior on the base model but everything fits and works effortlessly. Really good mileage (28-32) on the road and no cabin rattles. Much better than the 92-99 models.
  • I think this one died in December, what do you say we give it an honorable burial?
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Interesting to speculate as to why this immensely popular automobile has such a dearth of interest here. Certainly the average age of the buyers is in the same range as that for Lincoln Town Car and DeVille which seem to have postings. I guess one might figure that there simply is not much to be said when a car just delivers what it promises mile after mile which seems to be this car's reputation. Still, it's a shame there is no discussion to monitor for those of us with similar cars like my Bonneville.

Vtech - you still around buddy? Anyone else? If not I suppose it's time for archive here.

Ken
  • The transmission in my 87 LeSabre went south at 90K miles.

I know it was maintained properly, because it has been in the family since new.

TB
  • When did the trans die, and what went on it?
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    Age is a factor too, not just miles.
  • Clutch material came off the clutches and clogged the filter. However, I'd driven other cars of similar age, such as a 66 Nova with a powerglide in the early/mid 80's, a 75 Buick after that, and four years ago I sold a 79 Ford Fairmont I'd driven for three years. This is the first old car with a transmission failure. Of course I've had two newer ones experience failures...

When warm, the car would not go in any gear, including reverse. Stop and go traffic killed it.

Now after a rebuild, it is much smoother than ever.

TB