Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• Are 2005 LeSabre's coming out early?
  • I replaced the original 16" Generals with the much hyped Yoko Avid Touring. Sears could not balance well enough after a second try so I broke down and got a road force balance at the dealer. The dealer said one was really off, so I think Sears didn't really balance them when I took them in for my "free" bal. and rotate.
    The car now rides great and is vibrationless. It is a real pleasure to drive.
    I thought the Yokos were sort of the emperor's new clothes of Tire Rack. Everyone seemed to give it good reviews because everyone else gave it good reviews. They seem to be a little quieter than the Gens.
    I gave the used 35K Gens to a friend. They now have over 60K and still are OK and have plenty of treadwear left, especially for someone who could not afford new tires. These used Gens quieted his car down noticeably. Maybe the Gens were not such bad tires. I just cautioned him to slow down in the rain to prevent hydoplaning.
    I don't know if I will go back to Michelin for the next set yet, but the Yokos compare favorably to the X-ones I have on my other car. The Mich. are somewhat noisier.
  • Bought my LeSabre in 2000, and it has been trouble free. Just want to comment that Buick really needs to do something yearly to physically set the new models apart from the older. My 2000 looks just like the 2004 and that is not the way to encourage new buyers. Look at the Century, it went to that body style in 1997 and it is still the same for 2004. Regal is exactly the same. Park Avenue is the same. Of course it makes them a ton of money not to change but I would like to be able to differentiate one model year from the next.
    Time for Buick to move into this new century we started almost four years ago.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    You're right, the last time Buick got an all-new car in the lineup was 2000. Since then all they've added are minivan- (a modified Aztek) and SUV- (a modified Bravada) based vehicles. Buick has had some great concepts recently but unlike Cadillac or Pontiac or Chevy, Buick has not done anything with them. Adding portholes to the Park Avenue was clever on paper but it's like putting a pretty bow on a bulldog. The flagship Park Ave should have a navigation system, XM and a Northstar V8 by now. And LeSabre should have a supercharger option. I really wish Buick had gotten the Olds Aurora...
  • We have a 2000 LeSabre with about 48000 miles. In August the right rear window regulator went out and had to be replaced. Now just a little over three months later, the other rear window regulator has gone out and needs to be replaced. This get expensive at @ $500 per incident. Is anyone else experiencing these kind of window problems with their car?
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,182
    Would you explain a little more clearly what was wrong with the windows.
    Did the motor not work? Did the switches go bad?
    I am not clear on what a regulator is...
  • The window did not work, would not go up and down. On the work sheet from the dealer, they noted that they replaced an inoperable window regulator.
  • The styling timetable got pushed back one year, to 2006 model year. Probably will be sping 2005 when a new LeSabre or replacement come out.
  • Buick had a great concept in the Harley Earl line of commercials----unfortunately they blew it when they had no new cars to use it with. Too bad, it might have been very good stuff and attracted a lot of new customers to newer (or even retro) styling designs. But all the guy does is reshow old dated styling. Like we said in the Air Force, the commercial spun, crashed and burned.
    Today the right rear window regulator went out on my 2000 Bonneville. It's the same regulator as on LeSabre, and I'm seeing a lot of people with this problem. I'm sure it's just a matter of time before the left rear goes out as well. I ordered a new regulator from gmpartsdirect for about $90 less than the dealer wants, even with the shipping cost added. I might try to replace it myself, but even if I let the dealer do it I'll still be ahead. One reason this part costs so much is that you can't just get the regulator by itself, it comes with the motor too.

BTW, the regulator is the mechanism the glass is attached to that the motor uses to raise and lower the window. I'm thinking that the whole assembly has one weak spot made out of plastic or nylon that is prone to breaking. Typical GM quality.
    I am sorry you're having trouble with your regulator. I have had four cars with power windows and none of them had any mechanical problems. I had others with manual, nonpower, windows and none of them failed. Now that's typical GM quality.

I recall someone griping recently on the Honda Accord or Civic board about window problems. Typical Honda quality. Grin.

How many miles do you have on your 2000?
    Good luck with getting a repair effected quickly. Do you have the service manuals from Helm, Inc.?
    They help tremendously to do these kind of operations. If the thing is replaceable, it will help. The dealer many copy the information for you from their CD version to help you do the repair.

If it's a difficult task for do-it-yourself, a non dealer bodyshop may be cheaper on the repair. Working around the sheet metal in the door can be a cutting experience with all the sharp edges. I can check my 03 manual to see what the job looks like if you want.
    I've got the service manuals. There is actually a missing step in the procedure to remove the regulator -- they forgot the step to tape the window closed before trying to remove the regulator. The installation procedure says "remove tape from window" which is funny because it never said to tape it in the first place.

My quip about quality (of materials and engineering more so than manufacture) is based on many years of driving GM vehicles. I find that most parts on the vehicle are pretty well engineered but there always seems to be an Achilles' heel -- a weak point -- that fails and renders the entire assembly useless. And the entire assembly has to be replaced. For the regulator, I have to replace the motor with it even though the motor is perfectly fine. GM designs their parts for ease of manufacture (lower cost) rather than cost of repair.

BTW, the car has only about 13,000 miles on it and that rear window is hardly ever opened. I find that a lot of things are breaking from lack of use. There have been a lot of complaints about the window regulators on these LeSabres and Bonnevilles (mostly the rear ones) so I sense that there is an issue!
    I thought the motors were bolted on in this model when I looked at the manual, so the motor wouldn't have to be replaced. I didn't get to check my 03 manual last night.

I h ate to hear there is a repeating problem. I do use the rear windows on both cars. I put them down when in the garage to _air out_ the car. I'll make sure to do it more on the newer car; I like to keep the leather smell in so I don't run those down. Maybe using the windows will help keep them working longer.

I wonder if the problem is a supplier and quality they built that didn't last -- like the design and quality of the upper intake manifold AND seals on the 3800... I had that fail on my 98.
  • If you go to this website you can get an artists conception of some of the future Buick models. This includes a 2006 rear drive, a 2005 Regal and a 2005 Lesabre. Pretty good pictures/drawings. This is the Popular Mechanics site. It takes a while to load (at least on my hand cranked computer)so be patient. Then scroll down the page. There are lots of "spy photos" on all makes and upcoming models. Be patient, the Buick is down the list quite a way. I think the LeSabre will look great if they make it like the photo. Here is the address: http://popularmechanics.com/automotive/spy_reports/2003/1/detroit- _spy_report/
    Ron
    in the link looks like a honda accord...

Down the page, the 2005 looks like a ford
    taurus. Not impressive in picture.
  • the pics at the bottom of the site are from older articles and are outdated.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    All of the information on that Popular Mechanics page is wrong. The Regal and Century will be replaced by the 2005 Buick LaCrosse, which will continue to use the FWD W body platform. The LeSabre will be redesigned for 2006 (but will remain on the FWD G body platform) and get a new name and probably an optional Northstar V8. There may (but not yet confirmed) be a large RWD Buick sedan to replace the Park Avenue later in the decade, but it won't use Cadillac's Sigma platform; it will use a new global, lower cost RWD platform that would be shared with Holden and Opel. The Opel Insignia concept car uses this platform.
  • What is your source of information on the above? I am really curious since you seem well informed. I personally think they will keep the Century and dump the Regal which they nearly did in 97. It does not sell near as well in spite of the 3800 V6 and is more dated looking than even the Century. But that is my opinion. LaCross sounds like an SUV name and Buick doesn't need another SUV or crossover (stationwagon to us oldtimers).
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    I get all of my information from Automotive News. Only subscribers can access most of the articles from the website. I have read some rumors that the Century may stay around a year or two longer. You can read a little bit about the LaCrosse here - http://www.edmunds.com/future/2005/buick/lacrosse/100283771/previ- ew.html?tid=edmunds.f.mmindex.content.num1.0.buick*
  • The Century brings Buick bags of coins because it is big in the rental fleets. It looks like they would be shooting themselves in the foot to eliminate it. That in effect leaves Buick with no entry level car. Lacross to Lesabre to Park Ave sounds like Buick is downsizing like Oldsmobile.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    After 45 days of inactivity, this discussion was automatically archived. By request I am reopening it.

Carry on! :)
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    Why so quiet here? Did everybody sell their Le Sabres?

I constantly see these cars in the street? Does anyone recommend it or will I have to end up buying an Avalon?

Please do share your experiences.
  • I think that the new Avalons are downright homely. I still like the looks of the Lesabre, especially ones with the 16" wheel option.
  • My 2000 LeSabre has just about 50,000 miles on the odometer and is running like the day I bought it new. Keep it clean and maintained and you will love it too. Only problem was a leaky gasket at 12,000 miles which was replaced under warranty. Oil changes every 3000-4000 miles, new tires at 30,000 miles are the only maintenance items I have done. Good luck with your future Buick purchase.

Neil
    After my Sable's 4th year anniversary is getting closer, my thoughts go to my favorite cars; large ones. Even though my mechanic advised me to get rid of my car and get an Avalon I have serious doubts about it.

Buick is giving rebates and dealers probably are somewhat eager to sell Le Sabres left on their lots. My next car won't be an econobox (not that my is). Truth be that I don't need a large car but only for the safety of it. I really like this Buick. It's got be a comfortable car, quiet and powerful.
  • I agree with you both. The dealers and GM are giving great deals. I am sure the Avalon will hold it's value, but I think you will save money on the front of the deal by spending a few thou. less on the Buick. I know many who have bought Toyotas and other foreign makes and complain the routine service is expensive.
    Some of our company cars are 2001 Sables. I prefer the Lesabre over those by a long shot. I think you will be happy with one.
    You raise a good point about routine maintenance gettting expensive on foreign cars. That's a fact. It's also true that parts are also costly on these vehicles.

I entered the Buick website to configure a Le Sabre of my liking. Not that I want it absolutely fully loaded, but nicely equipped I couldn't go below $25000 (with the $3000 rebate). Unless I added something which already comes standard. The packages confused me. I was figuring in my head to get a well appointed Le Sabre for around $22000 but no more than $23000. Is that something unreasonable?
  • Springfield, Missouri area dealers are advertising up to 7500 off the sticker of Lesabres. They have some tricky wording about Oldsmobile loyalty though. Limiteds sticker at 30 to 33, and Customs are 25-26. The rock bottom advertised price last weekend on one with just a few options was $18970. The main difference in the two is the addition of automatic climate control, On star, heated seats, a back arm rest, turning lamps, misc. electronic gizmos. and dual power front seats for the Limited.
    What really jacks the price is leather, sunroof and a Celebration Edition which adds chrome wheels among other stuff.
    I hate to beat this into the ground, but I think 16" aluminum wheels are the best bang for the buick buck.
    Just make sure to check Edmunds for this info. I am just going by memory of what's on mine.
    Edmunds has a good price calculator for LeSabre showing the option packages. There are a couple of others on the web. I found Buick's own site a little difficult last year when I was shopping for my Celebration.

Do some printouts of the information on the Custom and then the Limiteds. Look at the rebates offered and then look at the dealer cost at invoice minus about 2 percent for the holdback amount. Leave some dealer profit.

Compare that with newspaper ads from several Buick dealers.

The Celebration includes Heads up display, nice, and chrome door handles, and chrome wheels, and michelin tires (check on cars on lot). And Celebration had its own rebate on the window sticker reducing that cost for the package.

After website shopping, go look at car's stickers on a dealer's lot on Sunday or just tell them you're browsing while your car's in service.

Happy shopping.
    Everyone has been most helpful with detailed and excellent advise indeed.

There are 2 things that concern me about the Le Sabre: bumper strength, per IIHS's "Marginal" score. It did attained a generally "Best Pick" score however.

Also, this is a 200 inch long car and in NYC parking being as tight as it is it may pose a problem. My Merc. Sable station wagon is 2 to 3 inches shorter and I just can not park it in most spots. Maybe it's just not all that simple to parallel park or could be that I'm not that skilled in this area.

However, this car (Buick) has advantages and it caught my eye a while back.