Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• ajacatajacat Posts: 63
    Custom, 130K miles...I was driving along last Wednesday and it started having a hard time accelerating, and two or three times it almost did not kick in when I was starting up from a full stop. Then as I was driving it just stopped, dead stopped. It would turn over, but it never caught. The guy who towed me (works at a service station) and two guys who were painting our house said it was probably the fuel pump. We tested it and it wassn't getting fuel to the engine. So, first I replaced the fuel filter, and that got fuel to the engine. I could hear the fuel pump turning on when I turned on the ignition, and fuel is *definitely* getting to the engine. Then we tested whether any juice was getting to the spark plugs by sticking a screwdriver in one of the plug cables coming out of the ignition coil, but there was nothing. So I replaced the coil, and still the car doesn't start. It turns over, the dash lights come on, but it never catches.

I never cranked the engine for more than 15 seconds (at the very longest), and never tried more than three time in a row to start it (i.e., I didn't sit there cranking it for long periods of time).

What should I try next? The guy at Autozone said I should get a new rotor, spark plug cables and spark plugs, the painter guys (who work on their own cars) say that's ridiculous. Still though my car doesn't start.

One last thing: when the car first died, I checked the engine coolant. It was empty (there is a really slow leak in the system somewhere). I refilled the coolant tank, but am wondering if I might have fried something in *that* system that's causing the engine not to spark?

Any suggestions anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance
  • rhraaschrhraasch Posts: 9
    I have a 2000 Buick LeSabre with leather seats. The car is still under warranty. This morning I noticed the driver's leather seat has a small wear spot in one of the seams. Has anyone attempted to get a leather seat repair under warranty?
  • kkollwitzkkollwitz Posts: 268
    I looked hard at a LeSabre, but I was weak, and bought a Z28 instead...now I'm paying!

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/list/top10/57199/article.html

• jb7227jb7227 Posts: 86
    Probably screwed up the demographics in Flint - I'm 33 y.o. and just picked up my new Custom on Saturday. After a steady diet of BMW, Mercedes, Audi, etc., wanted an American car. Just plain tired of the $ 1500 "scheduled maintenance"!!! Same goes for the rice burners. The car is great - lots of room, quiet, still on first tank of gas and i've already driven 300+ miles! Got mine with 1SD (Best Seller) package and CD Player.
    Cant wait to drive it cross country.
  • eric227eric227 Posts: 8
    Has anyone experienced one of these? My parents took their '01 LeSabre in for an oil change at one of the quick lube places. The lube joint noticed something hanging low on the underside of the car and said to take it to the dealer since it is still under warranty. The dealer fixed it for free and said it was a loose tie rod.

My parents were happy to get it fixed, but is this something common or just a freak thing? They have 16K on their car. Thanks.
  • tigercat21tigercat21 Posts: 28
    Speaks very well for one of the most owned cars in America (6 posts for all of march and april), people usually dont write in when satisfied...of course it could be that car is owned by older folks who aren't big computer users so consider that too... Ed
  • stan13stan13 Posts: 14
    I have a 2000 Limited with about 35K miles. At idle, in "Drive" and particularly when shifted into "Reverse" there is an annoying vibration which is transmitted into the cabin and through the accelerator pedal. It is accompanied by a very low exhaust rumble or drone. Could this be attributed to bad motor mounts which allow engine vibrations to intrude through the frame? It is not a problem when moving. The dealers seem to think this is "normal", the default reason for anything they cannot figure out. Any clues as to a fix on this would be appreciated. It takes away from what is otherwise a very pleasurable car. Noise and vibration are detractors from the refinement one espects from a car of this class.
  • stan13stan13 Posts: 14
    Sorry...last line of # 577 should read "expects".
  • Kirstie@EdmundsKirstie@Edmunds Posts: 10,676
    As we all know, the purchase price isn't all that's involved in the true cost of a vehicle. Check out the article and new tool at Edmunds.com:

True Cost to Own (TCO): Revealing the Hidden Costs of Car Ownership

http://www.edmunds.com/advice/specialreports/articles/59897/article.html

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Edmunds.com

Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Would like to hear from younger LeS owners out there.... where are you? Had my Custom about a week now - 1st tank of gas average 26.9 mpg - mix of city/hwy. Too bad more people shopping for an Avalon or Camry dismiss the Buick as an alternative - much better styling, softer ride, more people/cargo room. Only real improvement needed is sound system - I have the "concert II" and it doesnt sound like the speakers are up to the task.
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Posts: 86
    Has anyone installed HD struts such as KYB, Koni, Monroe Reflex, etc? Thanks, Lamron
  • kcwolfpack59kcwolfpack59 Posts: 122
    Still love the 2000 Limited. I put 4 Kenwood speakers in my 97 Monte, which has a similar sound system. It made a huge difference and was $155 well spent. It was a huge pain to install both sets and I would highly recommend anyone considering speaker upgrades to let a pro do it. I did cut holes in the rear deck allowing the speaker grilles to be exposed which helped with the sound. Mom is the primary driver, though and lives 75 niles away, so I am not about to make the same upgrades. I am considering buying this Les. when she trades and I just turned 40 and will be proud to drive it.
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Posts: 854
    My folks have a 2000 LeSabre with the GT suspension. They live in Arizona and like how it drives in the mountains.

My 35 y/o brother drove it wheil visiting and thought it was "cool".
  • dponsdpons Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 lesabre with the same vibration, when in drive when stopped with the brakes on. I got the "can't duplicate the problem" response from the local Buick dealer and have not gotten around to complaining to Buick about the dealer's lack of performance. But I managed to cure the problem by running a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (by chemtool) in the gas tank. It must have been a clogged injector that the dealer was not capable of or interested in diagnosing.
  • slimrjpslimrjp Posts: 5
    I am 27 and just purchased an '01 LeSabre Custom and I truly love the car. When I was ready to trade my '92 Caddy in I spent about 3 months searching for a comparable replacement -- the LeSabre fits the bill almost perfectly. I really only miss threethings - power passenger seat, an outside temperature gauge and the acceleration of the Caddy (I think the Buick could outrun the Cad).

I really enjoy pulling up to the regular pump and getting 30+ MPG from a full size road warrior. Last weekend I was filling up next to a Camry owner who asked how I liked the car and what mileage I got. When I told him he would not believe me until I showed him the trip computer.

What are the future plans for the 3.8? I read many auto mags and they all are saying what a good power plant it is, but all of them recommend updating it to a more modern Aluminum engine. I hope GM isn't listening.
  • ehaaseehaase Posts: 328
    I have read that the 3.8 will be around the rest of this decade, but GM is developing a new DOHC V6 engine and a new OHV V6 engine, and these engines will eventually replace the 3.8. I am not aware of any improvements planned for the 3.8.
    My '02 Custom (2200 miles on it in 3 weeks) has averaged 26 mpg (even mix city/hwy) - I still cant believe it! I have shown the trip computer to friends (and non-believers) alike. Interesting that you mention no outside temp indicator - it's about the only thing I miss from my old cars. Seats are very comfortable - especially when I discovered the manual lumbar adjustment. I too have the manual pass side seat-oh well, when I "graduate" to a Park Ave..
    Just put the third coat of wax on my new 2002 Custom sedan - I have used everything on my cars from Meguiars to Zymol and found the best product for ease of application is The Wax Shop Super Glaze. Looks great on the lt bronzemist paint! By the way, that color must be the most popular this year - now that I have it, I am seeing a lot of it! Anyway, building up a few coats of wax early on makes it a lot easier to keep bird droppings, sap, etc. off the paint.
  • allterrainallterrain Posts: 8
    I have a '97 custom with 60k. Recently my brother-in-law and sister came to visit. We used the Buick to "run around" in and frankly was embarrassed. He is a biggy at probably 275 lbs. or so, sat in the front and the wives sat in the back. Here is the thing, we bottomed out constantly!! We have had this auto for 4 yrs. but really haven't ridden 4 adults very often. Help me!!!!!!! Do I just need new shocks or is there some kind of suspension modification that can be done or?????? I realize the car is a low rider but this is ridiculous. Also would be open to certain shock replacement manufacturers. The shocks are most certainly original equipment. What can be done?
  • nferrnferr Posts: 32
    I read somewhere that GM was heavily revising the 3.8 and that normally aspirated versions were going to be putting out around 240-250 hp. The supercharged engine could be easily pumped up to close to 300 hp but the problem is in the FWD tranny to handle it. Of course the Northstar puts out 300 hp in FWD so I don't fully understand why that is a problem. Wish I could remember where I saw the article.