Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• The noise was a dull thud heard either under the driver's seat or behind the driver. It occured intermittently when making moderate left or right turns. After three visits to the dealer I discovered on Edmunds' website that the battery was located behind the driver and under the passenger's seat. Conclusion: loose battery housing.
  • I inherited my mother's 2002 LeSabre Limited with 8k miles. Drove it from NC to NM without any problem and averaged 30 mpg at 70-75. Car has been driven on a couple of 300 miles trips since new but mostly local travel. It is a base LTD with just the Touring Suspension option. I was considering getting a Protection Plan warranty for 6 years 60k miles since the original warranty will expire in Feb, 2005. Should I do so? Has anyone experienced major repairs under 60k? I've owned 2 LeSabre's -a '90 and a '94
    and drove both of the to around 110k miles with little problems -as I recall I replaced a couple of alternators -that was about it. I had 100k 6 year warranties on both of them and I doubt that they paid for themselves. Any advice? Thanks!
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,064
    Has the recall for new bolts at the air intake manifold/throttle body and addition of coolant sealer been done? The likelihood of major repairs needed on a LeSabre is low. I've not seen a pattern of problems. I've checked the list of TSBs here on Edmunds and don't see a pattern.

The cost of GMPP aftermarket looked like $1700 for a long period with high mileage, I think it was 100K/7 years total. I'd take the gamble on frequent oil changes, including transmission, and go without.

I have a 2003 with 24K on it and 2 years old. So I'm not just talking through my hat; I'm making the same decision.

I would recommend changing the trans fluid at 2 years/36 K whichever comes first. It seems the sliding valve that modulates the fluid controlling the lockup percentage on the torque converter clutch is sensitive to aged fluid or fine particles or wear in the bore due to poor design. My 1998 LeSabre was changed at 65K miles and it developed this problem. It developed the problem causing unevenness in the lockup until warm.

I'm changing my 2003 fluid at 24K and 2 years--I do it at home. Drop the pan, catch the fluid, tighten the pan, add fluid. No filter change needed until 60-70K or more, in my opinion.
  • I ordered some Michelin Harmonys for the 2000 Limited to replace the Avid Tourings which have been on about 40K miles. Was torn between the Goodyear comfortread and these.I will report in about a week and a half.
    I just put Harmonys on the 98 LeSabre. They feel really good. They replaced X-Ones. I'll probably put them on the 03 when the Symmetrys wear out. And they seem to be wearing fairly fast.

You made a good choice of tire.
  • I just purchased a 2000 lesabre with 58400 miles, from buick dealer. They offered a 36/45000 GM PP for $2600. I have been searching and reading information from forums to make my decision about buying this plan. I have until Feb 15th to buy the plan or loose the option offered to me.

Any one who has experience with 2000 models, does it worth it?
  • This seems pricey. Most of the stuff that has gone wrong with my 2000 happened in the first 36K miles. Just make sure the cooling system is serviced and there are no leaky plenum issues. Try negotiating if you want peace of mind.
  • Put the $2600 in the bank and insure yourself.
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I agree, keep your money and insure yourself. Depending on how long you keep the LeSabre, that's probably how much you'll spend over the next five years, although it's hard to say. Maybe nothing will happen, maybe the tranny will explode. You never know.

I purchased the Major Guard for the first time with the lease of a new '04 Avalanche. It covers the lease term and I figured why not, it's built into the monthly payments and it's not my truck anyway, so I don't want any unexpected repair bills. Time will tell if it was worth it.
    I'd put the money in the bank. I'd have the transmission fluid changed as soon as possible unless you have documentation that it's been done. I'd have the Dexcool flushed (every two years). Make sure the recall was done for the new bolts on air plenum was done and that pellets of sealer were put in the coolant. I'd put some coolant pellats in again after the flush. Change the oil at 4000 miles or 30% on the oil life indicater.

That should take care of possible trouble points if you're keeping the car a long time. That's what I'm doing with my 03 LeSabre.
  • Got the Michelin Harmonys put on and love them. They are a good match with the Lesabre. Ride is good and noise is low. Seems a little less noise as the Yoko Avid Touring had when new. The main thing I did not like about the Yokos was I had to get them balanced every year. Every Michelin I have owned (probably 8-10 sets since the 1980's) required infrequent balancing. Some balances lasted the life of the tire. The tire shop used the smallest weights they had to balance. One of the tires required no weights to balance.
    Drove home in a terrible rainstorm on the "Arkansas Autobahn", aka I-540, so I can vouch for their ability to grip when wet. I slammed on the brakes and intentionally hit standing water in places where there was no traffic, and no peril to myself and found the tires to be grippy and not hydroplane.
    Just dustings of snow is all we got in Springfield, MO this winter so far, but I can't judge yet but I think I will be fine in the snow. You do get what you pay for.
    I found mine were really good in snow since I got them in December. They are great on water. I would suggest not hitting standing water because I don't like the spash hitting the brake rotors. That can cause warmping, IMO, when they're hot after a stop.
  • Talking about rust and corrosion; I was able to take a quick look at a recent GM bulletin regarding a fix for corrosion under the rear seat where the battery is located on Lesabres & Bonnevilles. This bulletin pertained to the 2000
    thru 2005 models. Has anyone noticed corrosion in this area on these cars?
    No.
    What does the TSB say about corrosion???
  • I was going through a stack of recent bulletins laying out in a dealers shop; they were quickly gathered up and I did not have time to "digest" them. Since I had a Lesabre I was curious if someone on this board might have more indepth knowledge regarding this issue.
  • x90071x90071 Posts: 8
    Anyone with ideas?
  • jscallerjscaller Posts: 1
    My 2000 LeSabre has developed a preplexing problem. In the first serious rain of the season the interior of the trunk was soaked. We could not find a leak of any kind. The next rain the trunk stayed dry but the well behind the drivers seat was literally full of water. Again we can find no leak. We have has 32 inches of rain and no leak - then I took the car to a car wash and when I opend the trunk which was closed and locked at the car wash it was flooded with water. The dealer wants a minium of $500 to find the leak. I am not handy with cars - can anyone offer a way to find the leak and repair it?
  • duwop1duwop1 Posts: 13
    Hi Buick persons,I am not a Buick person myself (yet)I am looking for a 2003 Buick LeSabre Limited,Celebration Edition with the Gran Touring Pkg.That should be pretty specific.I would like any info,good car,bad car,should I persue,not persue, are there any around,I've only found one in two weeks,did they make more then six of them.I know almost nothing about this car except a report I read recently and sparked my interest.Thank you in advance, Fred
  • Owners of some 2000-05 LeSabre, DeVille, Aurora, or Bonneville vehicles may comment on corrosion in the floor pan in the area where the battery is located. This may be caused by acid weeping from the battery, or from a dislodged battery vent tube. A new repair floor pan kit p/n 88948594 has been released to assist in the repair of this condition. Refer to Bulletin 05-08-61-002 for repair procedures and part number information.

TIP: Clean the area of the floor pan where acid may have been present, using a solution of baking soda and water. Rinse and dry the area thoroughly.
  • tytireytytirey Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2000 Silver Lesabre with Grand Touring Package and fully optioned in 2000.I now have 95,000 trouble miles on it.I always changed my own oil and filter and use Mobile 1 Synthetic oil.I have averaged 24-25 miles per gallon in the rural area where I live and up to 32mpg on trips.I have owned every make of Gm Car and a few Fords.I might buy a 2005 Lesabre if I can get a deal,but I will not trade my 2000 in.I just hope that GM does not mess the body style up on it when they change it like they have the Bonneville and that ugly G-6.The front wheel drive and traction control have got us through five winters here in Cincinnati without ever once getting stuck.I will buy nothing but a Lesabre from now on if GM doesn't mess up the styling.Make sure to get the Grand Touring pkg if you buy one,it is well worth the Money.I also have a 95 Roadmaster Limited loaded and a 94 Regal 4 Dr GS loaded.Bought my first Buick in 91 and they have been the best cars I have ever owned.And i have owned over 25.
  • duwop1duwop1 Posts: 13
    Thanks for the reply. My interest in 2003 stems from an article I read on the Celebration Edition.I was looking for a full size used car for my wife.This particular vehicle seems to have many toy's and is a good value.I will be responding tomorrow to a message I received from a dealer in Ohio who will be getting one in tonight.I am willing to travel for the right car at the right price. Have you heard the latest from GM? either the Buick or Pontiac may have to go.Once again thanks for your response.
  • s426s426 Posts: 2
    hi
    i just change the belt the other day on 97 lesabre
    there is a nut i think 15 mm on top of it there torx i`m not sure of the size now 5T, take off the nut first, then loose the torx its a rod, the remove the spacer behind the mount, you may need a pry bar to push out the mount just enough to loose the spacer,

take your old belt off, make a draw of how the belt is layed out around all the bullys extra.

good luck
    Did you use any kind of support under the engine to keep the holes lined up for when you reassembled the engine mount?

Did you remove the front wheel and the splash guard?
  • s426s426 Posts: 2
    hi
    i removed splash guard not the tire.no support needed for engin cause you not removing the mount itself it just the spacer,only thing you need to do is grab out the lower tip of the mount to insert the rod through spacer, you may not need that . it just was my in case.

you may remove the tire if you want , just support the car with stand.
  • Hello, all..newbie here to this forum, but its nice to know there are other happy LeSabre owners out there. I have Celebration edition I bought last June 1 after retiring my previous Lesabre of ten years and 160,000+ miles.

I have a question...I suspect that when/if the Service Vehicle/Engine Soon light comes on, that it's possible to display computer information through the driver information center (the two-line character display on the left side of the dash). I suspect there's some secret combination of buttons on the left side you can press to get to the computer info; my question is if anyone happens to know if this is true, and if so, what combination of buttons do you have to hit (eg "press and hold the ENG/METRIC button for 3 seconds")?

Thanks in advance
    David
  • czabbaczabba Posts: 8
    There is a little rubber shoe on the end of the solenoid where it fits into the unlocking mechanism- most likely that is worn out or broken. If you can hear the solenoid work, but it doesn't unlock or lock, that that is probably the problem. You will have to take the door apart, but the parts are cheap from the dealer.
  • blokieblokie Posts: 5
    HI There,
    thinking of buying 1997 Lesabre with 180000 klms on it. It comes certified and e-tested and seems to be in quite reasonable condition. Is there any major problems I should be aware of? I see the 95-99's seems to have a tranie problem, but one would think that after 180000 klms that problem would have surfaced and been rectified, Hopefully!

Thanks in advance
    Chris
  • I have a 93 Buick LeSabre with what I assume is a key ignition problem.

Here is the problem.....

When I put the key in the ignition and try to turn it on, the motor wont turn over. I do know that the ignition recognizes the key being in there because when the door is open, you hear the key chime. When you turn the key over, there is no resistance in turning the key. Also on the left hand side of the steering column, a small metal plug that fits next to the blinker handle pop out. I tried to put it back in, but there is something misaligned to where i cannot put it back in. (I think this might be related to the problem somehow). I dont know what else I should post, if anyone can help me please do I need all the help I can get!
  • Hello fellow members!

I am new to this discussion, although not new to Edmunds.com, which I have used off and on for the last ten years.

I have a 2001 Custom LeSabre, which I bought Certified Pre-Owned in 2003. I was and still am very happy with my purchase - the car has been rock-solid since I've had it. I just took it in for the 60,000 mile Maintenance, and for the most part, it was fine, except for a loose supporting tire rod (replaced under warranty), tire dry-rot (I'm replacing the tires today), and an upper gasket leaking coolant (to be replaced this week under warranty).

I think that the only thing I have to say to those who are considering buying a LeSabre is, if possible, make sure that you purchase a warranty also, whether from Buick or from a third party. It can make all the difference (the upper gasket replacement would have cost me about $300 without the warranty).

I also believe that Buicks have been and continue to be the best American cars, all around. Although other carmakers like Ford and GMC have generally improved, only Buicks (and a friend of mine also adds Oldsmobiles) have been consistently reliable cars and great values (not to mention pretty cool-looking).

Anyway, I am happy to be part of this discussion group. Thanks for reading this posted message. Best Wishes to all the present and future LeSabre owners!
  • wgariderwgarider Posts: 4
    Hello,
    I am about to buy a '98 LeSabre - the car is in great shape and has only 55K miles on it. I've been reading here about all the suggestions and preventative measures other owners are taking but I'm a bit confused about the recall issued in Feb. of 2004 - http://www.automotive.com/1998/49/buick/lesabre/recalls/34513.html.

Is this recall to address the plastic plenum problem I've read about?
    Thanks!