Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• jh1977jh1977 Posts: 40
    2005 is the last model year of the Buick LeSabre. I currently owned a LeSabre and its a very nice automobile. Its a shame GM did not invest more into the LeSabre to keep it competitive with the new Avalon, 300 and Charger full size sedans. The LeSabre was the best-selling full size car for many years and was manufactured for more than 45 years by Buick. Good-Bye LeSabre.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    I guess you could argue that GM did exactly what you said...but calls it "LUCERNE".
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,067
    The new Avalon is not a car aimed at the LeSabre market IMO. It was meant to hit people more interested in believing they had a high performance car speedwise.

The 300 is not competition in our area. Buyers of 300 from Chrysler usually were already Chrysler buyers and a few others were attracted to the "odd" design.

The Charger looks smaller than the full-size LeSabre was/is.

I just see the LeSabre as quality, dependable transportation for 6 adults with a durable, strong motor that holds more power in the LeSabre application than most realized until they drove one for a while. LeSabre was not flashy--it had become the Camry and Accord while they bloated to something different.

I believe a lot of LeSabre buyers will have LaCrosses and low priced Lucernes. The lower-priced Lucerne has run-of-the-mill struts and suspensions and tuning in the body. These saved cost along with the 3800 motor. This will appeal to the LeSabre buyers. The V8 Lucerne will attract some of the Lexus - Avalon buyers who don't want the Avalon problems.

A V6 in Lucerne would have given too much similarity to the motors and cars. They would have had to ditch the 3800 which would probably cost a lot of UAW paid for no work time and they probably wouldn't be able to phase down the production at the 3800 build location without advance notice and agreement from the UAW.

I haven't driven a Lucerne. The dealer had 3 in but two were sold and were just being shown in the showroom since they hadn't been picked up by the owners. I suspect the 3800 will be more than adequate for many drivers' wants; me included. Probably most are previous LeSabre owners who don't drive aggressively.

Driver's I've seen in Lucernes look a lot younger than they used to!!! A black CSX (CXS) with chrome wheels and the Northstar makes a good-looking car.
  • jh1977jh1977 Posts: 40
    Thank you for responding to my message. I just want the Base Lucerne to have at least the same engine power as the LeSabre, its predecessor. If GM can put a 3.9 Liter engine in the Impala with 240 HP they certainly can put the same or similar engine in the Base Lucerne. I thought Buick was more upscale than Chey, with more powerful engines and luxury especially in their large sedans, whether base or more luxury models. For us old timers, remember back in the 1970s, 1980s when Buick had the Lesabre and the Electra 225 (Duce and a Quarter). Those were the good old days for Buick.
  • daryll44daryll44 Posts: 306
    I learned how to drive on a 1976 "last of the really big" Duce-and-a-Quarter (Electra 225)s. Dad bought it in the fall of '75. I remember when they came out with the 1977 Duce (as well as Deville and '98) and was shocked to see this new car next to a '77 Regal and realize that the new car was the "flagship" Duce. The "mid-sized" Regal/Cutlass was the same size! In the end the 1977-1984 Duce/98/Deville was a great car, but the 1985 kiddie-car FWD big GM drives were the beginning of the end for GM. LeSabre came in 1986 and I guess the final 2005 LeSabre was a pretty decent vehicle, but I miss the old RWD ones "last gasp" Roadmaster.
  • I had a similar problem. The cables on the drivers side broke and had to be replaced. Then the cable on one of the back windows broke and had to be replaced, then the other back window cable started making a racket and had to be replaced. I had the dealer check on the remaining window cable and they said it was alright. All this happened after the warranty ran out but I had complained to Buick Motor Div. of GM and the dealership picked up the cost. You might want to get in touch with Buick and see if they can't help you out with this problem that shouldn't be occurring in the first place. Good luck.
  • bap1bap1 Posts: 2
    Have 2000 Lesabre. Turned key this morning and there was a delay before car started. Car started rough but is idling fine. During the delay I heard vacuum noise coming from behind dash display. Vacuum noise also occurs when car is turned off. No service lights are on and DIC indicates everything is normal. Explanation?
  • I need to replace the head lights in my 2003 Le Sabre Limited with brighter lights. Any halogen or HID or other suggestions will be appreciated.
  • odie6lodie6l Hershey, PaPosts: 1,078
    I have an 05 Lesabre Custom, love everything about the car, except the wind noise coming from both from door/window areas. I bought some foam weather stripping to isolate the problem. To me it seems the window noise is coming from the window area, where it rests against the felt/rubber at the top of window. Someone told me there is a way the dealer can tighten/tilt the windows inward, so they rest tighter against the seal? Does anyone know if a window can be adjusted more inward or made to fit tighter? Or better yet, any other suggestions? Thanks!
  • mlm4mlm4 Posts: 401
    I know from my experience of replacing two power window regulators in my Bonneville (which I believe uses the same window parts) that the glass can be adjusted forwards and backwards (I don't think inward, though). The glass rests in two rubber clamps that are part of the regulator. It is possible that the back of the glass is too high (or the front too low) so it is not sealing well when closed. You should be able to inspect from the outside to see if there is a gap between the glass and the weatherstrip.

To adjust it the inner door panel needs to be removed, then the water seal needs to be carefully peeled away so you can get at the two access holes for the clamps. With the window closed, loosen the two clamp screws using a socket wrench. Lower the window carefully just a bit. If the window is stuck in the weather seal you might need to push it down to break it loose. Then with the engine running for maximum electrical power, fully raise the window to seat it. Tighten the clamps to 9 N-m.

If that's not the case and the glass needs to come inward I would check to make sure the three window regulator bolts are fully tightened. If the top one is loose maybe the whole assembly could tip the glass outward. Also try lowering the window a little and trying to rock the glass in and out to see if there is any play. Good luck
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Posts: 194
    I am looking at a 2003 or 2004 Lesabre Custom, any comments on these cars, drivers opinions, service issues. Thanks all
  • I just got my '92 Le Sabre about a month ago and love it! Just yesterday, I noticed that when I turn the heater on, the smell of raw gas fills the car. When I turn the heater off and open the windows (brrr it's cold) it goes away. I looked and smelled under the hood and didn't notice anything odd. Has anyone heard of this?
  • Karen_CMKaren_CM Posts: 5,018
    A reporter in Southern California is looking to interview a retiree who has been very loyal to the Buick brand over the years, right up to the present. Please send an e-mail to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, March 22, 2006 containing your daytime contact information and a few words about the topic of interest.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com

Community Manager If you have any questions or concerns about the Forums, send me an email, karen@edmunds.com, or click on my screen name to send a personal message.

• lngjnlngjn Posts: 1
    The button on my driver's door will not go all the way in to open the door.
    The inside pull handle works to open but outside does not.
    Anything I can try before taking off the door panel etc.?

1988 Buick Lesabre
  • chucka1chucka1 Posts: 3
    Simple question I think:

Where is the cabin air filter located in a 2004 Buick LeSabre Custom?

Also, is it easy to activate the turn lights (not turn signals)
    when the lights seem to be there in the headlight group?
    The cabin air filter is under the hood. Open the hood. Look right in front of the passenger below the windshield wiper. You'll see a cover about the size of a tissue box. It has two snap clips. Your car might not have the opening or may not have the filter present. If it has the opening, the filter and the plastic frame that holds it in place are available from the dealer for about 50$. Replacement filters are about $18 at PepBoys. Napa stores or others might have the frame to slip in a lot cheaper. I'd call around a lot.

I have just read on a discussion about someone who had added the cornering bulbs to a Custom. I believe from that discussion they weren't available as an option on a Custom. I don't know for sure. You would need a service manual for that car for the wiring and a good ability to understand where a relay has to be put that turns on the bulbs to do that.
    Thanks so much.

:D
    I've had a 2004 custom since August 2004.

Have had no problems and there is head room for a 6'7" driver.

Gas milage might not be as advertised.

I'd buy again.
    Gas milage might not be as advertised.

I'm not sure what you mean with that statement. My 03 gets 22 when my wife drives it only for short trips 1-2 miles to stores and back; 24 in my short drives. On interstate trips it gets 29-32, typically 31 mpg with 3 adults and full luggage weight and air and 70 mph on interstate trips. On local flat road no stops it gets 35-38; just hit the button and cruise at 55. Starts and stops lower that.

The Mulroney sticker said 29/19 IIRC.

My 98 does the same but cold starts in winter really cut down the overall mileage.
  • my 2001 le sabre vibrates at 65 75mph has done this since I purchased it new. dealer and GM cannot seem to solve problem.anyone have solution? several wheels balances and new michelins have not helped.
    Have the tires been road force balanced by a tech who knows how to troubleshoot leSabre problems?

Is the car completely realigned? Not just within tolerance range for each setting?
  • 79customd79customd Posts: 87
    You may want to take it to a tech that can check the vehichles Dynamic balance b/c 65-75 mph is usually where the problems for that are. Static balance is usually vibrating noticiably at 55mph.
  • jef4jef4 Posts: 11
    I have a 98 Lesabre that had a blown head gasket while I was on vacation. It had 72,000 miles and it broke down on a Sunday in Columbia, SC. It cost $2500. I found out that the 98 has a plastic manifold and blown head gaskets are not uncommon. I called GM to express my anger. They were very nice. They even called the garage that "fixed" the engine to see what caused the problem. GM sent me a certificate for a substantial discount on a new GM car, if I decide to buy one within a year.
    It's nice that they offer a discount off their profit on a new car; why now fix the one they didn't build right, that they've known has a problem since 1998?

I asked them to pay the parts and/or labor cost for the repair on my intake manifold. They lost track of my calls through the first cycle. Months later some nasty, MBA type wannabe manager came through with the same type of offer as for you--but my wife had convinced me to buy a new car months before. Why would I want another new Buick?

GM didn't handle this problem right and it is hurting them image now in sales. They earned what they got on this item. A partial payment for cost of repair of these intakes would have done a lot of PR.
  • 79customd79customd Posts: 87
    GM is not perfect though evryone wants to try to make them be. They stand behind there work by doing jef4 right. When the 2500HD we own was in the shop due to computer problems, they called up to the dealer to see what the problem was. This is in the boondocks of NC so they must really care if ya ask me.
  • Were you able to resolve this issue? I'm very curious because my mother is having the exact same problem with her '98 LeSabre. Thanks for any help you can provide.
  • terex58terex58 Posts: 1
    Did you find a solution to this problem? I am having the same problem, got a new key and still didn't work, would really appreciate advice.

Thanks
    If you feel it's the key sensors inside the key cylinder now making contact you can replace the key cylinder ( $250?) or you can try the bypass the puts a resistor in line to replace the key in the cylinder's resistance.

If you don't believe it's anything else in the VATS circuit
    http://www.motorage.com/motorage/data/articlestandard/motorage/292005/169809/art- icle.pdf

http://www.12vp.com/info_resistors.htm

The first article is dealer service oriented. The second tells how you can find the right two wires (often in a little orange tube the looks like a wire) and where the base of the steering column is you can connect in a resistor of the proper resistance (measure you key chip's resistance) and make the computer think it has the right key in it all the time. Some service location people can do this that aren't dealers.
  • I want to put a performance air intake on my lesabre. I need some help because as you may know there are no kits out there for most buicks, and I really dont feel like building one. Can anyone tell me what intake for what kind of car would best fit on my Lesabre??
  • duddly101duddly101 Posts: 7
    My 2001 Lesabre's air bag seat belt warning light stays on, usually in the morning, or when the car is started after sitting overnight. The air bag light stay lit, and seat belt light will flash, then go out. The air bag light will stay on. While the seat belt is flashing, latching and re latching the drivers seat belt has no effect. After I drive several miles, and the engine is warmed, the only way to clear the air bag light is to re start the car. Interestingly tho, on warm days, after the car sits in the sun most afternoon, everything works normally. Has any one experienced this problem, and is the remedy a DIY?