Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Buick LeSabre

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    After 45 days of inactivity, this discussion was automatically archived. By request I am reopening it.

Carry on! :)
  • danielj6danielj6 Posts: 285
    Why so quiet here? Did everybody sell their Le Sabres?

I constantly see these cars in the street? Does anyone recommend it or will I have to end up buying an Avalon?

Please do share your experiences.
  • I think that the new Avalons are downright homely. I still like the looks of the Lesabre, especially ones with the 16" wheel option.
  • My 2000 LeSabre has just about 50,000 miles on the odometer and is running like the day I bought it new. Keep it clean and maintained and you will love it too. Only problem was a leaky gasket at 12,000 miles which was replaced under warranty. Oil changes every 3000-4000 miles, new tires at 30,000 miles are the only maintenance items I have done. Good luck with your future Buick purchase.

Neil
    After my Sable's 4th year anniversary is getting closer, my thoughts go to my favorite cars; large ones. Even though my mechanic advised me to get rid of my car and get an Avalon I have serious doubts about it.

Buick is giving rebates and dealers probably are somewhat eager to sell Le Sabres left on their lots. My next car won't be an econobox (not that my is). Truth be that I don't need a large car but only for the safety of it. I really like this Buick. It's got be a comfortable car, quiet and powerful.
  • I agree with you both. The dealers and GM are giving great deals. I am sure the Avalon will hold it's value, but I think you will save money on the front of the deal by spending a few thou. less on the Buick. I know many who have bought Toyotas and other foreign makes and complain the routine service is expensive.
    Some of our company cars are 2001 Sables. I prefer the Lesabre over those by a long shot. I think you will be happy with one.
    You raise a good point about routine maintenance gettting expensive on foreign cars. That's a fact. It's also true that parts are also costly on these vehicles.

I entered the Buick website to configure a Le Sabre of my liking. Not that I want it absolutely fully loaded, but nicely equipped I couldn't go below $25000 (with the $3000 rebate). Unless I added something which already comes standard. The packages confused me. I was figuring in my head to get a well appointed Le Sabre for around $22000 but no more than $23000. Is that something unreasonable?
  • Springfield, Missouri area dealers are advertising up to 7500 off the sticker of Lesabres. They have some tricky wording about Oldsmobile loyalty though. Limiteds sticker at 30 to 33, and Customs are 25-26. The rock bottom advertised price last weekend on one with just a few options was $18970. The main difference in the two is the addition of automatic climate control, On star, heated seats, a back arm rest, turning lamps, misc. electronic gizmos. and dual power front seats for the Limited.
    What really jacks the price is leather, sunroof and a Celebration Edition which adds chrome wheels among other stuff.
    I hate to beat this into the ground, but I think 16" aluminum wheels are the best bang for the buick buck.
    Just make sure to check Edmunds for this info. I am just going by memory of what's on mine.
  • imidazol97imidazol97 Crossroads of America: I70 & I75Posts: 18,046
    Edmunds has a good price calculator for LeSabre showing the option packages. There are a couple of others on the web. I found Buick's own site a little difficult last year when I was shopping for my Celebration.

Do some printouts of the information on the Custom and then the Limiteds. Look at the rebates offered and then look at the dealer cost at invoice minus about 2 percent for the holdback amount. Leave some dealer profit.

Compare that with newspaper ads from several Buick dealers.

The Celebration includes Heads up display, nice, and chrome door handles, and chrome wheels, and michelin tires (check on cars on lot). And Celebration had its own rebate on the window sticker reducing that cost for the package.

After website shopping, go look at car's stickers on a dealer's lot on Sunday or just tell them you're browsing while your car's in service.

Happy shopping.
    Everyone has been most helpful with detailed and excellent advise indeed.

There are 2 things that concern me about the Le Sabre: bumper strength, per IIHS's "Marginal" score. It did attained a generally "Best Pick" score however.

Also, this is a 200 inch long car and in NYC parking being as tight as it is it may pose a problem. My Merc. Sable station wagon is 2 to 3 inches shorter and I just can not park it in most spots. Maybe it's just not all that simple to parallel park or could be that I'm not that skilled in this area.

However, this car (Buick) has advantages and it caught my eye a while back.
    Does anyone have a Buick LeSabre comment or
    question for this group?

I've got 12000 on my 03. It's a great driving road car.
  • fredvhfredvh Posts: 853
    Did you get the recall work done on your LeSabre(concerning the 3.8 engine)? Have you had any trouble with the LeSabre?
    This has the chrome 16inch wheels with Michelin Symmetry tires. I had
    a slight vibration problem at first. The dealer road force balanced the wheels.
    Moved one tire on the wheel. That has fixed the vibration pattern 99%. It's very
    pleasant to drive now. It is taut and follows the road much better than my 98 did before
    I replaced the struts.
  • Maybe this will interest a few. On Nov. 28, 2003, I purchased a 2004 Le Sabre custom. I have only 1700 miles on the car so far and have not had any problems. The car is a good car and I really like it. I have owned Buicks before and always have had the 3.8 engine. In my opinion this is a great engine.

What would I change on this car? Well, I should have looked a little closer before the purchase. The radio has great sound and it has a CD player but I did not notice that it did not have a tape player until after the purchase. The heater and air conditioning controls are the old type that use a slide switch for the temp. and fan speed controls. This is fine with me because the digital controls are just one more thing to go wrong. Some of these controls have a tendency to become dim after awhile and need to be replaced. One disadvantage, this presents, is that the car has no outside temp. read out.

The car came equipped with load levelers on the rear. This may be nice, but I do not really need this. Each time that you start the car a pump can be heard (rather loud) running to pump up the rear shocks. I just wonder how long it is going to take for these rear shock to fail!

I looked around in an attempt to find an after market exterior temp. Gauge. The parts houses do have them, which requires running a wire to a location in front of the radiator. I do not mind running the wire, but the read out head inside the car is large and has both inside and outside temp readings plus a clock. The heads are larger than I would be happy with and finding a place to mount the head is not easy.

I went to the dealer to check on a passenger compartment air filter, because the car did not have a filter installed. The compartment for the filter was easy to access. The dealer’s computer shows that these filters are never placed on a new car. It is something that you have to purchase separately. I did purchase the filter and plastic housing. The cost was about $35.00.
    The load levelers on my 98 have gone 100 K. I replaced struts at 70K. The pump and all are still working. On my 93 the second set of struts went to 150K. Having the autoleveling rear keeps the alignment more stable with loads or people so it doesn't wear the rear tires as much with camber changes when loaded. The rears are more a wear problem than the fronts -- rotate wheels often... to equalize tire wear.

I understand about the outside temperature gauge. It's a nice feature. Is it true the 04s have a metal upper manifold, instead of the plastic ones used from 95 to 2003? Those had a tendency to leak at the gaskets or the internal EGR tube.

Have you talked to the dealer about a swap on the head unit for the radio for one with cassette? (haven't used the cassette in ours yet, but I understand.)

Congratulations on your purchase.
  • Regarding the question about the intake (upper) manifold. I looked at it and did some tapping on it with a screw driver. In my opinion, the manifold is still plastic as it has been for several years.

I did not try to have the dealer change the radio head. I doubt that they would consider this after the contract was signed. I can live without a cassette player.
  • rbritlandrbritland Posts: 11
    My in-laws have a 2003 LeSabre Custom with 27,000 miles. When lightly braking while turning left or right you can hear a loud CLUNK which seems to come from the right front wheel. It doesn't do it all the time. Sometimes you won't hear it for a couple of days, but some days it does it a half dozen times in one day. I can't find anything wrong and the Buick dealer couldn't find anything either. Does anyone have a clue as to what this noise could be? They have been loyal to Buick for about 20 years and have been quite happy with all of them including the 2003, but the noise worries them.
  • sonet1sonet1 Posts: 7
    A little info about my Buick LeSabre and it's plastic manifold. Upon parking the vehicle one night it cracked and sprayed coolant into the intake runners and in turned filled all the cylinders with coolant and then leaked down into the crankcase filling it with coolant. Needless to say it wouldn't start the next morning....had to haul car to mechanic and it only cost me $950.00 to get it back. Had to pay a tow company to haul vehicle to mechanic, replace the manifold, clean all the coolant out of the cylinders and crankcase, replace oil and filter, replace sparkplugs, and replace starter because the starter housing cracked when I tried to start it with the cylinders full of coolant. It has been running fairly well but as of Friday the starter wouldn't work and I have now found out that the Security System will not reckognize the key and has locked up the starting system to prevent the car from starting. Looks like another haul job to the dealer as I've now found out that the GM dealer is the only place that can get parts to service the Security System. Looks like another big bill coming up to get it fixed.
    Prior to the other troubles mentioned, the Air Conditioner quit. It cost me around $600.00 to get that fixed. The computer unit that controls the automatic temperature settings went out and had to be replaced.
    The first night I brought the car home it rained! The next morning the floorbards were full of water...took the car back to dealer and finally got it back two weeks later. Seems that not all of the factory body seams got sealed around the cowl area at the factory. When it rained the water poured in and filled up the floorbards with the water. The water also got into the stereo system and it had to be replaced. Thankfully I didn't have to pay for any of these problems.